Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

I freely admit that I am feeling some real schadenfreude over this. Trump's administration and his supporters are truly awful people--wretches who did everything within their power to harm others. His administration has stood for white supremacy, corruption, and a run-away train to fascism. And his supporters have been with him every step of the way. I hope they are feeling miserable today. I hope they are crying into their MAGA hankies. I hope they feel one teeny ounce of the pain that they have spread throughout the world.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

:feelsgood:

201120165627-giuliani-trump-file-super-t
WWW.CNN.COM

CNN's Erin Burnett discusses Rudy Giuliani's failed efforts to challenge final election results in courts and reports of a "souring" relationship between him and the President.

Dear leader can not fail.

He can only be failed.

8 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

I would get a hearty gut chuckle if Trump resigns the week before the inauguration thinking that Biden made a bunch of merch that just reads "46" to, in his mind, screw over Biden.  

Say what you will about the guy, but that would be an epic troll move if it actually happened that way.

Her paychecks must still be clearing. 

Screen_Shot_2020-11-21_at_11.19.01_PM_cp
WWW.THEDAILYBEAST.COM

Jenna Ellis talked up the case in Pennsylvania in a pre-recorded Fox News segment that ran at a less-than-ideal moment.

As I listen to right wing radio around 15 minutes a day and selectively watch Newsmax clips, one of their main arguments is that Biden couldn't have won that many votes because no one was at his rallies. I'm told it doesn't feel right, and you're not alone if you don't think it feels right either! I guess this sort of propaganda has worked very well throughout human history so I should not be surprised.

It would be laughable if it wasn't being vomited out of their mouths all day as people slurp it up like the the psychic undead cult from Doctor Sleep did to shiners.  

Then you got shit like this:

2020 election results: Almost no Trump voters consider Biden the winner

A mere 3% of voters for President Donald Trump think President-elect Joe Biden won the 2020 election, while 73% think the incumbent was the victor, according to a CNBC/Change Research poll.

So put it together. You got Newsmax and OANN with right wing talk radio coupled with social media mixing up this fucked up brew of misinformation and it's working! Welcome to America folks.

Sean Hannity

• Guillotine 1

3 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I'm sure the only time Trump ever played chess he flipped the board after losing. 

DcoqHYCVQAA-gk_.jpg

201103-TNA-Trump-tease_ndtzvu
WWW.THEDAILYBEAST.COM

Rick, Molly and political strategist Tim Miller discuss Trump doing the opposite of any right move. Plus, The Beast’s Erin Banco shares how delusional the president is about COVID.

• Haha 2

This will certainly go down as one the most ignominious ends to a presidency in modern American history.  Even Nixon preserved some dignity by quietly stepping down--Trump's postelection tantrum is a far more pathetic presidential coda.

I think he'll also be the first president since Harrison in 1888 to never win the popular vote, right?  I.e., there hasn't been a president the public has supported less in 132 years.  Quite the dubious distinction.

But, to be fair, I'm sure most of my posts ITT are going to age just as poorly as his legacy.

Just now, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

But, to be fair, I'm sure most of my posts ITT are going to age just as poorly as his legacy.

But you don't bear the distinction of being the leader of one of the most powerful countries in the world. We usually have higher standards for such a person. Or maybe we didn't and this would've happened a lot sooner if someone just figured out they could do whatever-the-fuck with no consequences.

19 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

This will certainly go down as one the most ignominious ends to a presidency in modern American history.  Even Nixon preserved some dignity by quietly stepping down--Trump's postelection tantrum is a far more pathetic presidential coda.

I think he'll also be the first president since Harrison in 1888 to never win the popular vote, right?  I.e., there hasn't been a president the public has supported less in 132 years.  Quite the dubious distinction.

I think it's impossible to say what history is going to say about all this. I know what it should say. But when such a huge portion of the population actually believes that Trump won, who is to say what people will believe 30 years from now? Maybe by that time, 75% of the country is of the belief that it was in fact the most corrupt election in history and Trump really won. There's some normalcy bias going on by many of us that things will somehow revert to how things used to be, but there's no indication that is going to happen. It all depends on what path Americans choose. Right now, too many of the public have rejected objective reality for me to say with any confidence what future historians will say. It would certainly be nice for everyone in the world if a good portion of conservatives rejected the path too many are on right now and it gets us to a point where at least half of the right wing moderates out. But that's a difficult thing to do when you got right wing media repeating the same conspiracy nonsense all day.

In the end we'll all be okay. I still think we will have a decent future. But this nation won't be nearly as great as it could have been, and we may not last nearly as long as some of us imagined.

• Thanks 1

I honestly don't think any of us on this board is suffering from "normalcy bias" in the least or have any expectation that things will "revert to how they used to be" (nor should they because that is precisely how we got to this place to begin with).

In fact, it's quite the opposite: this board is fully cognizant that the American system is fundamentally, irreversibly, and irreparably broken in all aspects: politically, economically, socially, and morally. We are way past the point of no return and this Pyrrhic victory represents merely an interregnum on the downward slope of continued imperial descent. 

The United States of America IS a "failed state".  As for how long this national polity lasts, I would be shocked if there are more than 40 years left.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I honestly don't think any of us on this board is suffering from "normalcy bias" in the least of have any expectation that things will "revert to how they used to be" (nor should they because that is precisely how we got to this place to begin with).

In fact, it's quite the opposite: this board fully clesr-eyed that the system is fundamentally, irreversibly, and irreparably broken.  We are way past the point of no return and this Pyrrhic victory merely an interregnum on the continued imperial descent.

As for how long this national polity lasts, I would be shocked if there are more than 40 years left.

The Bicameral system only functions with cooperation and "norms" as it is an inherently unstable form of government. I don't see either returning anytime soon. Our only hope is that no one inspires the same kind of fanatical following in the future. I suspect if Trump 2.0 comes along it will be a conservative talk show host like Dan Patrick of Texas.

• Like 2

Late stage capitalism mixed with climate change will eventually cause the downfall of our society anyway.

I remember talking to my mom about how capitalism ultimately fails when society hits a point at which there aren't that many things we need people to do anymore. She, a stout conservative, was always like "new job fields will open up." Most people think like that. But eventually 90% of transit and service jobs will be gone. There's even development in having primary care doctors replaced with AI. Then the whole system collapses because it turns out Jeff Bezos can't keep making billions when people don't have any money to spend. And then the system fails because capitalism doesn't care about "useless mouths." Then there's y'know, the planet dying.

The progressive democrats are the only people who seem to see that and want to do something about it. Weird how they're mostly young people who will actually live to see it happen. Pelosi, Biden, Schumer, and all the other assholes just pay lip service to liberalism and ignore the plight of common people, which is how we got Trump.

So no, I don't think things will revert to how they "used to be," nor should they. But I feel like voting for establishment Democrats rather than Republicans at least gives me a future of Blade Runner rather than Mad Max.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I honestly don't think any of us on this board is suffering from "normalcy bias" in the least or have any expectation that things will "revert to how they used to be" (nor should they because that is precisely how we got to this place to begin with).

In fact, it's quite the opposite: this board is fully cognizant that the American system is fundamentally, irreversibly, and irreparably broken in all aspects: politically, economically, socially, and morally. We are way past the point of no return and this Pyrrhic victory represents merely an interregnum on the downward slope of continued imperial descent. 

The United States of America IS a "failed state".  As for how long this national polity lasts, I would be shocked if there are more than 40 years left.

Then let my reference to ‘many of us’ reflect myself until recently and to Americans that are still thinking that things will go back to normal rather than people on this board. 

51 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Late stage capitalism mixed with climate change will eventually cause the downfall of our society anyway.

I remember talking to my mom about how capitalism ultimately fails when society hits a point at which there aren't that many things we need people to do anymore. She, a stout conservative, was always like "new job fields will open up." Most people think like that. But eventually 90% of transit and service jobs will be gone. There's even development in having primary care doctors replaced with AI. Then the whole system collapses because it turns out Jeff Bezos can't keep making billions when people don't have any money to spend. And then the system fails because capitalism doesn't care about "useless mouths." Then there's y'know, the planet dying.

The progressive democrats are the only people who seem to see that and want to do something about it. Weird how they're mostly young people who will actually live to see it happen. Pelosi, Biden, Schumer, and all the other assholes just pay lip service to liberalism and ignore the plight of common people, which is how we got Trump.

So no, I don't think things will revert to how they "used to be," nor should they. But I feel like voting for establishment Democrats rather than Republicans at least gives me a future of Blade Runner rather than Mad Max.

Biden was a "stop the bleeding so we don't die right now" candidate. Without a future election constraining him and a senate that will let him get away with anything I shutter to think the kind of damage Trump could have done. The next election is when its time to start really addressing the problems of the future. In the meantime we have to hope everything holds together.

7 hours ago, Massdriver said:

I think it's impossible to say what history is going to say about all this. I know what it should say. But when such a huge portion of the population actually believes that Trump won, who is to say what people will believe 30 years from now? Maybe by that time, 75% of the country is of the belief that it was in fact the most corrupt election in history and Trump really won. There's some normalcy bias going on by many of us that things will somehow revert to how things used to be, but there's no indication that is going to happen. It all depends on what path Americans choose. Right now, too many of the public have rejected objective reality for me to say with any confidence what future historians will say. It would certainly be nice for everyone in the world if a good portion of conservatives rejected the path too many are on right now and it gets us to a point where at least half of the right wing moderates out. But that's a difficult thing to do when you got right wing media repeating the same conspiracy nonsense all day.

In the end we'll all be okay. I still think we will have a decent future. But this nation won't be nearly as great as it could have been, and we may not last nearly as long as some of us imagined.

Amen.  Point taken.

• Thanks 1