Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

LatinX always sounded to me like something white SJWs thought of to make Latin culture more progressive and inclusive. Not a home grown thing from within their community. But I never knew for sure. I stayed out of it, because it’s not my culture or language. As though for me to weigh in I may as well also try to say they should also all cancel Mariachi music, because it’s too stereotypical and racist. 

but I could be wrong. It could have started and grown within their community. Even if so, I would think there would be very clear divisions among generational lines. 

unlike say a confederate flag and racist epitaphs, this perceived issue to justify to move to LatinX is a modern day “problem”. Nobody says “Latino” to disenfranchise non-binary or transgender, or to remind them of their place. 

My take, the push to use LatinX is an battle we don’t need right now with all the other battles that affect non-binary and  transgender far more still needing to win. Like not being allowed to force somebody into conversion therapy, and ensuring they are protected by hate crime legislation. 

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

LatinX always sounded to me like something white SJWs thought of to make Latin culture more progressive and inclusive. Not a home grown thing from within their community. But I never knew for sure. I stayed out of it, because it’s not my culture or language. As though for me to weigh in I may as well also try to say they should also all cancel Mariachi music, because it’s too stereotypical and racist. 

but I could be wrong. It could have started and grown within their community. Even if so, I would think there would be very clear divisions among generational lines. 

unlike say a confederate flag and racist epitaphs, this perceived issue to justify to move to LatinX is a modern day “problem”. Nobody says “Latino” to disenfranchise non-binary or transgender, or to remind them of their place. 

My take, the push to use LatinX is an battle we don’t need right now with all the other battles that affect non-binary and  transgender far more still needing to win. Like not being allowed to force somebody into conversion therapy, and ensuring they are protected by hate crime legislation. 

Who is pushing to use the term? I don’t seen any pushes. I just see some people that use the term and some that don’t.

This article seems like a good place to learn more about the term. 

Also, Lulu Garcia Navarro is a great reporter and radio person and is also Latina, so she's got some 'inside' perspective I guess. 

Here's an older thread of hers referring to the term and its use in media:

As I've mentioned before. I'm Latino and will sometime use the term, mostly in a professional setting. Even if I don't care much for it, there are a bunch of non-binary Latinx people that feel the phrase is more inclusive for them. It doesn't cause any harm and it makes those folks feel better, so I'm in the 3% there.

That said, I don't think I've ever used it out loud. Mostly in emails and such.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

Who is pushing to use the term? I don’t seen any pushes. I just see some people that use the term and some that don’t.

There’s been a push from Hollywood-activist types like John Leguizamo. I saw an interview, I forget where, a month or two ago where he went on a pretty long rant about how important “latinx” is. He talks about it a little in this interview as well, also saying something like it makes him feel like a Latin x-man. I dunno.

I dunno, guys. I'm having trouble rationalizing people not being bothered (or rather not bothered compared to the issues they actually care about, how they perceive themselves, etc) being called "illegals" "wetbacks" "bad hombres" "rapists" etc largely by the right (and sometimes by the President) being suddenly turned away from the left from such a minor term like "latinx," at most I bet the vast majority of people simply haven't even heard the term. I think that's greatly oversimplifying the issue.

I think trying to lockdown on terms like that as what "did the dems in" is only missing the point even more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I dunno, guys. I'm having trouble rationalizing people not being bothered (or rather not bothered compared to the issues they actually care about, how they perceive themselves, etc) being called "illegals" "wetbacks" "bad hombres" "rapists" etc largely by the right (and sometimes by the President) being suddenly turned away from the left from such a minor term like "latinx," at most I bet the vast majority of people simply haven't even heard the term. I think that's greatly oversimplifying the issue.

I think trying to lockdown on terms like that as what "did the dems in" is only missing the point even more.

Yeah, older religious people aren't visiting the more left-leaning blogs that use the term. Most people have never heard of the term and it gets a lot less play in Spanish-language news that it does on English-language.

This is my take. Blame the media. Their insistence on both-siding everything and refusing to call Trump and his ilk straight racists and/or liars leads to folks simply not believing the worst aspects. This works both ways. Less politically informed people view Republicans and Democrats on more centrist terms. Republicans not as far right and they really are and Democrats as a little more left than they really are with the worst bits of either simply just being shit slinging by the opposition. That's how you get people to not believe Trump is trying to take away pre-existing conditions protections or that he's not racist.

Once you take the racism out of the equation, guess what older, more religious Latinx are? Conservative. Even more socially conservative than white folk. The only thing stopping Republicans from cleaning house with these people is a fear of alienating white racists. If that weren't their worry, the older generation would vote Republican at much higher rates.

For some reason I always figured "dismissed with prejudice" just meant the judge was pissed off or something, decided to actually look it up because as I get older I realized that sounded kind of stupid. Now I know it means dismissed permanently! I should really stop assuming things like that at my age.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yeah, older religious people aren't visiting the more left-leaning blogs that use the term. Most people have never heard of the term and it gets a lot less play in Spanish-language news that it does on English-language.

This is my take. Blame the media. Their insistence on both-siding everything and refusing to call Trump and his ilk straight racists and/or liars leads to folks simply not believing the worst aspects. This works both ways. Less politically informed people view Republicans and Democrats on more centrist terms. Republicans not as far right and they really are and Democrats as a little more left than they really are with the worst bits of either simply just being shit slinging by the opposition. That's how you get people to not believe Trump is trying to take away pre-existing conditions protections or that he's not racist.

Once you take the racism out of the equation, guess what older, more religious Latinx are? Conservative. Even more socially conservative than white folk. The only thing stopping Republicans from cleaning house with these people is a fear of alienating white racists. If that weren't their worry, the older generation would vote Republican at much higher rates.

Old conservative white people are getting conservative/pro-Trump propaganda shoved down their gullet on the daily via Facebook. Probably the same case in Latino communities

28 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Old conservative white people are getting conservative/pro-Trump propaganda shoved down their gullet on the daily via Facebook. Probably the same case in Latino communities

Well, yes. The disinformation campaign against Spanish speaking communities was nothing at all like it was in 2016. It's was everywhere. Everywhere enough that I was exposed to it and I don't even have Facebook.

9 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I missed the memo on Latinx. Is it supposed to be inclusive to LGBTQ+ as opposed to the traditional latino/a? Or is it more of like an all inclusive ethnic term, like Hispanic? Is Hispanic bad now?

It's just a gender-neutral version of Latino/Latina, which already seems a little redundant to me since we don't have masculine and feminine distinctions like that in English (usually), and most people saying "Latino" mean "both Latino and Latina," but it's hardly some big controversial thing, or at least it shouldn't be.

34 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I've been listening to some talk radio lately along with some Newsmax to try to understand how a family member has gone off the deep end. Lol

I thought Fox News was bad. This is the future I guess.

Less than a minute before I had to rage quit. My father in law eats this shit up though and was apparently yelling at my wife's aunt on the phone over the election. Old people.