Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

7 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Look at the election of 1864.  The rebel states were still technically a part of the US, but they didn't send electors to the electoral college.  This reduced the number of total EVs from over 300 to 234 members.  If a state doesn't send electors, then the total EV count goes down, and the subsequent winning margin.  

Sending the election to the house only comes into play if there is a tie, or if there are more than 2 candidates and no one candidate receives a majority of the votes. 

This is what the 12th amendment says,

The person having the greatest number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice.

So, yeah, you might be right in this case since those states wouldn't end up appointing electors, I dunno. It is true, though, that it doesn't specifically say it's only in the case of a tie. If a third party ever won, like, Alaska, and the vote finished 269-266-3 then the election would go to the House because nobody had 270.

4 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

I admit I don't know a lot about it (in my daily life I try to not think about Michigan). But I'd like to know more!

This book is regarded as the seminal work about Detroit's "White Flight":

9780691162553.jpg?fit=fill&fill=solid&fi
PRESS.PRINCETON.EDU

The reasons behind Detroit’s persistent racialized poverty after World War II

1 minute ago, Ricofoley said:

This is what the 12th amendment says,

So, yeah, you might be right in this case since those states wouldn't end up appointing electors, I dunno. It is true, though, that it doesn't specifically say it's only in the case of a tie. If a third party ever won, like, Alaska, and the vote finished 269-266-3 then the election would go to the House because nobody had 270.

Yep.  If a state doesn't send electors, it didn't appoint electors, which means they have no electoral votes. 

19 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

God damn it guys stop tempting me to buy and drink all of the liquor I can get my hands on

I wouldn't worry too much. While Trump is definitely attempting a coup, he's REALLY bad at the whole execution thing. Right now he has Giuliani making barely coherent arguments in court on his behalf. I don't mean that in a partisan way. He was, literally, incoherent at times. As of right now, it doesn't seem there's enough wiggle room for Trump to outright steal the election. It looks like Biden won by the bare minimum he needed to in order to prevent that from happening.

That said, you should totally be aware of a future not idiot Republican will likely be successful in pulling off this stunt. We just aren't there yet, so it's not something really worth sending every liquor store owner in your area into early retirement over.

E7RDRX5FPOD35HUVAQFKQMRNK4.JPG
WWW.AJC.COM

On Tuesday, Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger continued his scorched-earth campaign against fellow Republicans who question his oversight of the Georgia’s election and make baseless accusations of widespread fraud. But this time, he’s aimed higher. Rather than swipe at U.S. Rep. Doug Collins and other Georgians who have targeted him, he shot back at President Donald Trump, who has labeled him a phony Republican and has encouraged his...

Rather than swipe at U.S. Rep. Doug Collins and other Georgians who have targeted him, he shot back at President Donald Trump, who has labeled him a phony Republican and has encouraged his supporters to pile on.

On NBC’s Peacock network, Mehdi Hasan asked Raffensperger if Trump should be considered the author of his own defeat in Georgia -- because of the way he encouraged his supporters to shun absentee ballots. The secretary of state’s reply:

“I believe so, because the numbers show that. There were actually 24,000 Republican voters that voted absentee in the June primary, and those same 24,000 voters did not show up to vote in either absentee or in-person on the day of [the Nov. 3] election or the 15 days of early voting we have. So they just disappeared and they were ripe for the picking, they were there in June for the primary and they should have come home and voted for President Trump in the fall. So that’s 24,000. That’s his difference right there.”

Brad Raffensberger had more to say to The Wall Street Journal for its Tuesday podcast. On U.S. Sens. Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue, who called for his resignation, citing vague allegations of mismanagement:

“I’m surprised that (the Trump team) put a little bit of pressure on them, they just folded like a cheap suit, but that’s OK. You know, we move on.”

On his claim that U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., suggested that Raffensperger throw out legal absentee ballots:

“Senator Graham implied for us to audit the envelopes -- I thought he was saying throw out the ballots in counties that had the highest frequencies of [signature mismatches]. That’s similar to that lawsuit they filed in Michigan. And so, really, my take-away from that was that Senator Graham and obviously President Trump and his attorney -- they’re all on the same page…”

gettyimages-1229445199_wide-f7b79eefcf4d
WWW.NPR.ORG

Remarkably few counties shifted in the 2020 election, which saw sky-high turnout. The president's base voted in big numbers in rural areas, but Biden's gains in the suburbs propelled him to victory.

MPog5ID.png

margins-2020.png

Caveat to this map: ballots are still being counted, especially in New York.