Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Wait, what?

Screen-Shot-2020-10-15-at-1.49.05-PM.jpg
WWW.MEDIAITE.COM

In a remarkably nontraditional bit of political rhetoric, President Donald Trump appeared to insult the very constituents of the states where he is down in the polls.

Imagine, just for a second, how the media would have reacted if Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama (or Joe Biden) had said that 1/2 the states were dumb because they weren't voting for them.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Screen-Shot-2020-10-15-at-1.49.05-PM.jpg
WWW.MEDIAITE.COM

In a remarkably nontraditional bit of political rhetoric, President Donald Trump appeared to insult the very constituents of the states where he is down in the polls.

Imagine, just for a second, how the media would have reacted if Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama (or Joe Biden) had said that 1/2 the states were dumb because they weren't voting for them.

It's not just something they let Trump in particular get away with though. Imagine if any Democratic politician said anything remotely close about red states and their inhabitants that Republican politicians routinely say about blue states and their inhabitants.

7 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

It’s hard to quantify just how damaging it is to our politics that NBC is hosting this town hall. It’s truly disgusting.

There must be some between the scenes limitation, but the CPD should have held a town hall with Joe Biden and called it a fucking day.

I think as long as the moderator and the audience hold Trump accountable, it will be worthwhile.

Frankly, I'd rather watch the Trump town hall for this aspect alone. 

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't have to imagine, this is how Clinton's deplorables comment was treated. 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's not just something they let Trump in particular get away with though. Imagine if any Democratic politician said anything remotely close about red states and their inhabitants that Republican politicians routinely say about blue states and their inhabitants.

Remember when Hillary was repeatedly raked over the coals for calling Trump's supporters "deplorables"?

EDIT:  DAMN IT ANA YOU BEAT ME TO IT

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

You assholes will be glad to know I dropped off my ballot today, and I voted for Biden.  The first time I've voted for a Democrat for President.  

Sorry Jo, maybe I'll vote Libertarian again in 2024.  

And people say arguing over the internet is pointless.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

It's sort of like one of those comic book plots where enemies have to join forces over a story arc in order to defeat some galactic super villain.  Don't expect the relationship between the enemies to last.

Moving forward we're definitely going to need a board libertarian to poke fun at and I can't think of anyone I would rather have.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It's sort of like one of those comic book plots where enemies have to join forces over a story arc in order to defeat some galactic super villain.  Don't expect the relationship between the enemies to last.

Would it be a nice gesture of bi-partisanship if, in the event of a Trump win, I borrowed one of your guns to shoot myself with?

Or is it just weird?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

You assholes will be glad to know I dropped off my ballot today, and I voted for Biden.  The first time I've voted for a Democrat for President.  

Sorry Jo, maybe I'll vote Libertarian again in 2024.  

It’s the right call. I plan on criticizing him a lot as well, but I will not miss Trump. The Democrats got my vote this time, but only because the nation can’t afford this GOP and Biden as the nominee helps.  I am not swearing allegiance to them and I imagine that many here will eventually get their wish and they will veer so far left I won’t be able to stomach supporting them in the future. My hope is republicans losing by a landslide and losing again in 2022 may make them change course somewhat, but it’s impossible to predict what a post Trump GOP would be like. 

32 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

It’s the right call. I plan on criticizing him a lot as well, but I will not miss Trump. The Democrats got my vote this time, but only because the nation can’t afford this GOP and Biden as the nominee helps.  I am not swearing allegiance to them and I imagine that many here will eventually get their wish and they will veer so far left I won’t be able to stomach supporting them in the future. My hope is republicans losing by a landslide and losing again in 2022 may make them change course somewhat, but it’s impossible to predict what a post Trump GOP would be like. 

Nothing short of denazification is going to fix the GOP at this point. 

47 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Nothing short of denazification is going to fix the GOP at this point. 

When has the GOP ever lost and not said "It's because we weren't conservative enough." ? A new conservative party seems more likely to happen than for the GOP to moderate.

4 hours ago, Massdriver said:

I thought the GOP was going to be back in control of both branches of Congress by then if Biden wins?

8 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Probably true.  This board is full of angsty leftists who will be angrily disappointed by Biden's constant drive towards the center. 

Not disappointed. But expected. Everyone's worried about so many things, but should Biden win, I'm more concerned how stupid the opposition to him will get and if they're gonna begin with compromised center-right positions. I already naively thought once that maybe Republicans would change course, but that was in 2008/2009 that I thought this and the rest is history. 

It would be nice to shake up Democratic leadership, though. And balance the judges nationwide. I think for their long-term health, a criminal justice bill and a DREAM Act would help solidify the base considering young African-Americans are Democratic but not to the same extent as older African-Americans. And at this point, since he's running on a public option, they really do need to pass a public option and nothing less than that.

He might fall short on all of that, or maybe he'll surprise people.

I do think it's a good reminder that taking part in democracy is not just an election year thing. I hope people are willing to fight for ideas during a possible Biden presidency and not just in opposition to a possible Trump 2nd term. 

I do wonder what new Republican "stars" appear the next few years. It was nice when Obama's first term began and nobody knew who Scott Walker, Rick Scott, Marco Rubio, Rand Paul, Chris Christie, Ron Johnson, Ted Cruz, Herman Cain, Ben Carson, and Rick Perry were.

43 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I do think it's a good reminder that taking part in democracy is not just an election year thing. I hope people are willing to fight for ideas during a possible Biden presidency and not just in opposition to a possible Trump 2nd term. 

I do wonder what new Republican "stars" appear the next few years. It was nice when Obama's first term began and nobody knew who Scott Walker, Rick Scott, Marco Rubio, Rand Paul, Chris Christie, Ron Johnson, Ted Cruz, Herman Cain, Ben Carson, and Rick Perry were.

They're going to be from QAnon.