Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

2 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Aren’t they (Never-Trumper Republicans) mostly just the pro-globalization neocon wing of the party?  And this is just them trying to get rid of the emerging anti-globalization, populist wing of the party?

They are (mostly) GWB era Republicans, so I guess so?  They do seem to understand that the path the GOP is going down right now is increasingly dominated by a shrinking white population, and that the rhetoric that Trump espouses will not bring new demographics into the fold. 

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

They are (mostly) GWB era Republicans, so I guess so?  They do seem to understand that the path the GOP is going down right now is increasingly dominated by a shrinking white population, and that the rhetoric that Trump espouses will not bring new demographics into the fold. 

But swap Trump with a Tom Cotton in 24 and my guess is they come home to the GOP. That's the long term issue with Biden's strategy, his coalition collapses the second he wins. 

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

The Headline Continues to Be a Record 9.3 Million Voted

Early Voting Continues at Record Pace with 9.3 million voted. Four years ago at this same time before the November election, I was tracking 1.4 million people voted.

Any data available whether this is a larger share of total electorate voting early, or new voters?

28 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Started reviewing my ballot.  Holy shit - there are 61 Judge positions on the ballot in my area of Nevada.  Not 61 judges running, but 61 positions that need to be filled.  

This just cements my opinion that judicial positions shouldn't be elected by the people.  

And those races never have any information available. At MOST a shitty candidate website, often just a bar association rating. 

53 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Started reviewing my ballot.  Holy shit - there are 61 Judge positions on the ballot in my area of Nevada.  Not 61 judges running, but 61 positions that need to be filled.  

This just cements my opinion that judicial positions shouldn't be elected by the people.  

Just pick the ones with the coolest names.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Just pick the ones with the coolest names.

I looked and there is a Hooker running for a family judge position.  Unopposed.  

Man, I should have run against her with a campaign slogan of "Do you really want a HOOKER to be your family judge?  Vote mclumber on November 3rd!"

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Man, I should have run against her with a campaign slogan of "Do you really want a HOOKER to be your family judge?  Vote mclumber on November 3rd!"

But how else was she going to pay for her law degree.

12 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The hooker is probably better on healthcare than a libertarian. :thinking:

I assume that it's a requirement in Nevada that every candidate must put in their bio "hanging judge."

8 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Aren’t they (Never-Trumper Republicans) mostly just the pro-globalization neocon wing of the party?  And this is just them trying to get rid of the emerging anti-globalization, populist wing of the party?

8 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

8 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

But swap Trump with a Tom Cotton in 24 and my guess is they come home to the GOP. That's the long term issue with Biden's strategy, his coalition collapses the second he wins. 

Kind of to some of this.

1. The idea that they're the "neocon" wing has mostly been pushed by Trump supporters, to which there's some truth to it, but they push it so Trump seems better. Trump has the support of Rudy Giuliani, who was the biggest "9/11 changed everything" and Iraq War proponent next to any of them. Palin was a big, "Leaving is a white flag of surrender," believer.

2. They've gone after a lot of Republicans that board members think they'd like. Tom Cotton? No likey.

3. He may very well lose all that support if he wins, but would we rather the votes go elsewhere and he has less of a chance of winning? I don't see it as a problem; I see it as building a coalition so Democrats win. A lot of these people are voting straight-Democrat.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

"If we just remove all the rules, people will continue to follow the rules anyway," is basically the idea, even though the reason they want the rules removed is because they don't like some of them.

It also ignores the fact that a weak/minimal government will either be taken over or completely co-opted by the businesses whose property rights the government is supposedly there to protect/enforce, leading to a complete loss of democratic input. 

We don't even have to imagine this scenario either, it's happening before our eyes now! 

It's a bullshit economic theory that should have been tossed aside when the steam engine came on the scene and the rise of industrial capitalism and massive concentrated wealth.

Without equal economic power, there is no such thing as equal political power.

Now:

Biden/Trump 49-46 (3% other, 2% undecided)

With high turnout: 50-46 (2% other, 2% undecided)

With low turnout: 49-48 (2% other, 2% undecided)

Biden's up from September when he was 47-45 (48-46 with high turnout and low turnout)

Biden has made gains in 22 counties where the vote margins were closest in the 2016 presidential election. The Democrat currently holds a 59% to 38% edge among registered voters in these swing counties* where the aggregate vote went to Hillary Clinton by a single point. The presidential race was basically tied in these counties last month. Biden also has a 58% to 35% margin in counties that went solidly for Clinton (by a similar 27 points in 2016), which is basically unchanged from September. Biden’s swing county gains have been offset by a strengthening of Trump’s position (61% to 35%) in the counties he won handily four years ago. The current numbers are better than the president’s 17-point lead in these counties last month, but still lag his 34-point aggregate victory there four years ago.

Of four issues asked about in the poll, the most salient to voters is the potential breakdown of law and order, which 56% of North Carolina voters say worries them a lot. Just under half (48%) worry a lot about the coronavirus pandemic, while about 4 in 10 worry a lot about having access to medical care when they need it (39%) and knowing they will have a stable income over the next year (39%).

“The Trump campaign has been successful in elevating law and order to the top of voters’ minds. There’s only one problem. This issue is not a slam dunk for their side,” said Murray.

When asked who they trust more to maintain law and order, 46% of voters choose Trump, but a similar 43% choose Biden. The challenger has the edge when it comes to voter confidence in handling the pandemic – 47%, to 38% who trust the incumbent more. Biden also has the lead – 46% to 38% – on voter trust in keeping health care affordable and accessible. Trump’s best issue area is creating jobs and strengthening the economy, where he has a 49% to 38% trust advantage over Biden.