Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

15 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

They think they're being censored and offered oppressed

They are. This idea that if you keep coddling them , they will turn this thought process around and suddenly understand why were wrong is precisely how we got into this position. Up until the last few years a good majority of White America thought these people were the tiny minority holding out in some back woods encampment, and that time and education would swing them away. Boy were they wrong, Trump showed them that. They are a boil on society's ass that needs to be lanced 

• Thanks 1

Who the fuck cares of the conquered South feels angry if statues come down. Tear them the fuck down and educate the kids in schools about how big a loser the Confederacy was, and how evil the cause was that it fought for. Statues are for edification, not education (as said before). Plaques don't do shit, because most people will never read them. Imagine putting up a statue of Bin Laden at the WTC memorial that is 50 feet tall, and then just having a statue at the bottom that says "This guy killed people, he is bad." 

Fuck that whole idea. Tear bad things down, deplatform the people who defend the bad thing, and educate young people about how the bad thing was bad.

So, okay, there's a lot to unpack here.

#1. Most students are taught, even in liberal states, the Lost Cause myth. This is the myth that the Civil War was fought, ironically, for the freedom to secede and... be free, except for black people. Most students are taught that from like 3rd grade. That is a deeply ingrained belief that can't just be wiped away by taking away a monument. It needs to be gradually extracted from the education system, which is hard when half of it is run by racists.

#2. By just eradicating the monuments, all you're doing is feeding into the paranoid ideas that poor white people are being oppressed. It's stupid, but it makes sense. Republicans run on fear. THEY'RE COMING FOR YOU. THEY'RE COMING FOR YOUR JOBS. THEY'RE COMING FOR YOUR DAUGHTERS. THEY WANT TO RAPE YOUR CAT. Who "they" are changes, but at least one party has ran on that platform for almost the entirety of the country's history. Getting poor white people to vote against their own interests is an american pastime. I say it's time we change that. Leave the confederate monuments up, but put text up that shows exactly the evils these people perpetrated. Let the people know that their supposed idols did nothing but fight for the wealthy and didn't give a shit about them.

#3. Well... I didn't think this part through. I guess it's a combination of the first 2. Eradicating confederate monuments feeds into the victim complex that has been infiltrating poor white communities since the 60's. It's important to remember that these people vote, and they vote at far greater rates than the rest of us. The more we antagonize them, the more they radicalize.

I feel like this is the only community I... communicate with that I feel like I'm the voice of temperament. You can't persuade anyone by calling them an idiot. You can't persuade anyone by calling them a racist.  Maybe they are a racist, maybe they are an idiot, but they still vote, and that's how we got President Trump.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about, I would recommend reading the Federalist Papers. James Madison was an absolute beast at passive aggressive persuasion. He would use double negatives, even triple negatives, to make his points. There were times he got aggressive, but most of the time his arguments would read like:

"wouldn't it be, like, not better, but maybe better if we, you know, maybe did this constitution thing? I mean, here's some reasons, but y'know, I just maybe think it might be not better to continue on the path. I mean, it might maybe not suit us."

The Federalist Papers are a master class in debating, and they worked. When you come at someone like "FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING RACIST CUNT!" they tend to not respond very well, and you don't help anything.

• Guillotine 1

I mean, you can always just show them the shit the South was writing at the time. No debate needed.

OHdTrzw.png

DH_HZxQUIAEwYE7.jpg

There are no secrets here. It was obvious, and it was yelled from the fucking rooftops.

19 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I mean, you can always just show them the shit the South was writing at the time. No debate needed.

OHdTrzw.png

DH_HZxQUIAEwYE7.jpg

There are no secrets here. It was obvious, and it was yelled from the fucking rooftops.

I mean it wasn't about slavery, it was about keeping them subhuman negros in their place. 

biden-773-ap-2.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

He failed to produce the massive big-city margins some Democrats expected. One reason is that Trump surpassed his 2016 performance in many cities.

Some excerpts:

While Biden won large margins in most big cities, and also with Black and Latino voters, the exact margins proved critical in a race that came down to just tens of thousands of votes in multiple swing states. From the beginning of the campaign, Trump’s team set out to diminish support for Biden among Black and Latino voters, particularly men, airing TV ads in battleground states attacking him for supporting tough-on-crime legislation as well as Spanish-language spots that slammed his mental fitness. Trump’s campaign also highlighted criminal justice reform legislation that he signed, known as the First Step Act.

“In Black and Latino wards, Trump performance improved slightly. In the kind of white, liberal, East Side, more suburban-y parts of the city of Milwaukee, the blue performance improved slightly,” said Sachin Chheda, a Wisconsin-based Democratic strategist. “I’ve seen a lot of evidence that the Trump campaign went into the Latino community with kind of an anti-Black message, and went into the Black community with an anti-Latino message, and that they were really targeting and more sophisticated in their kind of scorched-earth campaign. And that may have had some impact.”

Philadelphia City Councilwoman Maria Quiñones-Sánchez, a member of Biden’s Latino Leadership Council in Pennsylvania, publicly raised concerns last month about what she said was inadequate outreach to Hispanic voters. She disagreed with the Biden team’s Covid-19-related decision to avoid knocking on voters’ doors until October.

21 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I mean it wasn't about slavery, it was about keeping them subhuman negros in their place. 

The south convinced themselves Lincoln wanted to take away their slaves. But he was a Free Soiler so he actually just wanted to prevent it from spreading westward but was more than fine letting it continue where it already existed. So it was about slavery but not in quite the way people think it was.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

The south convinced themselves Lincoln wanted to take away their slaves. But he was a Free Soiler so he actually just wanted to prevent it from spreading westward but was more than fine letting it continue where it already existed. So it was about slavery but not in quite the way people think it was.

It's a distinction without difference. The South wanted to keep slavery, and they fought the North so that they could keep it forever.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's a distinction without difference. The South wanted to keep slavery, and they fought the North so that they could keep it forever.

The distinction is that it wasn't "the righteous north vs the wicked south" the way it's often taught.

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

Free soil was slow walking abolition

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

Taking down monuments to white supremacy is not shouting "FUCK YOU YOU RACIST CUNT" in someone's face. Stop it. 

That literally is what it's doing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be apologist. There's just a massive difference in the way we responded to the civil war vs. how Germany responded to WWII. Almost immediately after WWII, Germans were taught Nazis = bad. We did not do that. Confederates were romanticized and glorified, and not just in the south.

Feeding the white victim complex just gets us more Trump/Reagan. We need a new tactic. We need a way to get these people to change their thinking, not just keep calling them racists. It doesn't get us anywhere.

41 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Free soil was slow walking abolition

Was it? I thought the point was about making sure white men could go west and find opportunity without having to try to compete against slave labor, without actually giving a shit about slavery beyond keeping it contained.

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

Was it? I thought the point was about making sure white men could go west and find opportunity without having to try to compete against slave labor, without actually giving a shit about slavery beyond keeping it contained.

# of Free states tips the balance in the Senate and further to amend the constitution

We keep seeing examples of MAGA morons unwilling to believe Covid is serious, because they don’t want to. They don’t want to wear masks or make any sacrifices to curb the spread of a deadly virus. So they ignore the science and believe that anything that proves Covid is a viable threat is made up or overblown as some conspiracy to “take away their rights” and take the Presidency from Trump. 

These people aren’t waiting to be convinced. They aren’t willing to be reasoned with. A simple calm request from a store employee to wear a mask for safety reasons is meet with hostility and in some cases violence. 

coddling them so they don’t feel like victims won’t work. Having their racist statues for 60 odd years hasn’t made them more tolerant. Tearing them down makes them feel like a victim. 

These people live in two states. Being victims or being validated. They’re dangerous either way. 

Im not gonna stop demonizing them. I’m not gonna stop calling them racists and bigots. I’m not gonna stop calling them idiots and morons. I’m not gonna act like they are decent human beings, when they show no willingness to act like decent human beings. 

19 minutes ago, Joe said:

I’m pretty sure Lincoln was not a Free Soiler.

Lincoln's second state house campaign in 1834, this time as a Whig, was a success over a powerful Whig opponent. Then followed his four terms in the Illinois House of Representatives for Sangamon County. He championed construction of the Illinois and Michigan Canal, and later was a Canal Commissioner. He voted to expand suffrage beyond white landowners to all white males, but adopted a "free soil" stance opposing both slavery and abolition.

Nationally, the Whigs were irreparably split by the Kansas–Nebraska Act and other efforts to compromise on the slavery issue. Reflecting on the demise of his party, Lincoln wrote in 1855, "I think I am a Whig, but others say there are no Whigs, and that I am an abolitionist...I do no more than oppose the extension of slavery." The new Republican Party was formed as a northern party dedicated to antislavery, drawing from the antislavery wing of the Whig Party, and combining Free Soil, Liberty, and antislavery Democratic Party members,[ Lincoln resisted early Republican entreaties, fearing that the new party would become a platform for extreme abolitionists.[ Lincoln held out hope for rejuvenating the Whigs, though he lamented his party's growing closeness with the nativist Know Nothing movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

Free Soil was a political party and I don't believe he was ever a member of it.

[Lincoln] voted to expand suffrage beyond white landowners to all white males, but adopted a "free soil" stance opposing both slavery and abolition.

39 minutes ago, Jason said:

Is there any historical evidence that slow-rolling national abolition was actually their goal though?

Whether or not it was the goal it was the well reasoned fear of southerners, given the firm abolitionist movement within the republican party at the time.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

You notice the lowercase right? Because that's not speaking about the political party.

The free soil movement was not just the political party of that name

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Whether or not it was the goal it was the well reasoned fear of southerners, given the firm abolitionist movement within the republican party at the time.

The free soil movement was not just the political party of that name

I understand that, but he said he was a Free Soiler, not a free soiler. Big difference.