Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

So assuming Biden pulls this out, then it's a lot like 2018 (doom and gloom, eventually counting of votes reveals large vote win for Democrats), with the exception of a few narrow Senate almost-hads (which will hurt). Going forward—where does the Democratic Party go? How do they appeal to culturally/religiously conservative minority voters? Economic populism is my best idea, but the Dem leadership seems stuck in their corporatist-liberal ways.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

So assuming Biden pulls this out, then it's a lot like 2018 (doom and gloom, eventually counting of votes reveals large vote win for Democrats), with the exception of a few narrow Senate almost-hads (which will hurt). Going forward—where does the Democratic Party go? How do they appeal to culturally/religiously conservative minority voters? Economic populism is my best idea, but the Dem leadership seems stuck in their corporatist-liberal ways.

I say we just double down on white people and MSNBC.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

AOC and her gang. Enough of Pelosi and Schumer 

Just now, Comet said:

AOC and her gang. Enough of Pelosi and Schumer 

Unfortunately AOC won't be old enough for Pres until 2028 (not that I think she should run for that yet). But the Dems definitely need a straight-talking economic populist who runs on:

• Wage boosts (minimum and otherwise)
  • Universal healthcare

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Need to address Latinos by their culture, they aren't "one group" and that idea needs to die. Mexicans care about different shit than Cubans and Venezuelans.

Edit autocorrect in night mode 

• Thanks 1

This take might be an overreaction, or coming far too late, but:

- Trump could still win but even if he loses it doesn’t appear it will be the referendum Democrats were hoping for.

- Democrats don’t look like they’ll take the Senate. Maybe 50-50 at best.

- Democrats will pick up a few seats in the House, but it doesn’t look like the 7-10 they were expecting.

- Supreme Court is a 6-3 conservative majority

- Fox News is by far the most watched cable news channel

- Right wing content absolutely dominates daily Facebook top 25 list

I mean, at what point do we realize we’re living in a hard right country? And if we do, where does the Democratic Party go next? Just keep their head down for a few more years and wait for demographic change? Hope for some sort of realignment?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Unfortunately AOC won't be old enough for Pres until 2028 (not that I think she should run for that yet). But the Dems definitely need a straight-talking economic populist who runs on:

• Universal healthcare

Run on popular stuff? Woah there champ that's not how we do things here

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

• Universal healthcare

She’ll be 35 by Election Day 2024.

• Thanks 1

Just now, osxmatt said:

- Trump could still win but even if he loses it doesn’t appear it will be the referendum Democrats were hoping for.

- Democrats will pick up a few seats in the House, but it doesn’t look like the 7-10 they were expecting.

I mean, at what point do we realize we’re living in a hard right country? And if we do, where does the Democratic Party go next? Just keep their head down for a few more years and wait for demographic change? Hope for some sort of realignment?

We're not in a hard right country, Biden is going to win this election with millions more votes than Clinton had, we're in a country with a fucked up electoral system.

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Give them free assault rifles and burn down planned parenthood, because a lot of these people are single issue fucks.

2 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I don't think we do, americans are just super gullible and fall for anything

1 minute ago, osxmatt said:

Institutions are right wing, but more people have voted for democrats in the past 7/8 elections, literally has never happened in american history since the party system came into being. And democratic senators represent more people/have a higher number of votes, than Republican senators. 

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Institutions are right wing, but more people have voted for democrats in the past 7/8 elections, literally has never happened in american history since the party system came into being. And democratic senators represent more people/have a higher number of votes, than Republican senators. 

I think this may be the nuance my post was missing.

It’s not necessarily that our country is right wing, but our institutions and system over represent right wing areas, which I think for the purposes of my argument makes the practical outcome the same.

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

• Universal healthcare

she may not be able to be President yet, but make her Speaker. 

6 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

We're not in a hard right country, Biden is going to win this election with millions more votes than Clinton had, we're in a country with a fucked up electoral system.

It remains to be see if Biden will win the election (although he’ll certainly win the popular vote) but it also appears like Trump will receive more votes than any candidate in history not named Biden. And that’s after the past four years of bullshit.