Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

There is little reason to believe that climate change would result in billions dying from crop failure and famine - Unless you are referring to a war scenario where dwindling resources spark a regional or global nuclear exchange between nuclear nations.

Large scale food production from things like algae are on the verge of being economically possible, and are already technically possible.

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

"ha, Biden can't fix climate change in 4 years so he's no better than trump in this regard" c'mon man

Long term problems need long term solutions and you have to start somewhere

This is not what I said. Or remotely close to it.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It does not seem to be correct that there is anything that can be accomplished in the next 4 years with Biden as president that will reverse climate change. Is there a specific bit a policy that can reasonably be assumed to be brought to fruition that will reverse climate change?

Sure seems like it!

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Sure seems like it!

You assume that my position is that reversing climate change is the only thing worth doing. There are plenty of upsides to better policy on climate change than actually reversing it.

Just now, sblfilms said:

It does not seem to be correct that there is anything that can be accomplished in the next 4 years with Biden as president that will reverse climate change. Is there a specific bit a policy that can reasonably be assumed to be brought to fruition that will reverse climate change?

*sigh*

Bru, I'm not saying Biden, specifically, will or won't do anything. I'm saying, with Biden, it puts us on a path that allows for future change at some future point. Trump will close that off completely forever. That's the distinction I'm making to your original point about "whether Trump or Biden wins, life will go on". I dispute that. Long-term, life will much less likely go on in a Trump and post-second term Trump world rather than a Biden and post-one term Biden world. 

6 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

We're probably (definitely?) beyond the point of reversal.  At this point, policy should be focused on decelerating the increase and methodologies for population relocation.

Agreed. Though as a species of fuck ups, we will probably fuck that up too.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

*sigh*

Bru, I'm not saying Biden, specifically, will or won't do anything. I'm saying, with Biden, it puts us on a path that allows for future change at some future point. Trump will close that off completely forever. That's the distinction I'm making to your original point about "whether Trump or Biden wins, life will go on". I dispute that. Long-term, life will much less likely go on in a Trump and post-second term Trump world rather than a Biden and post-one term Biden world. 

The onus is on you to show the policies that lead to 1) all paths ending with Trump, and 2) paths forward with Biden. What is actually able to be accomplished under each administration in the next four years that fundamentally changes course for the world. You have shown no such thing, only declaring it so.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The onus is on you to show the policies that lead to 1) all paths ending with Trump, and 2) paths forward with Biden. What is actually able to be accomplished under each administration in the next four years that fundamentally changes course for the world. You have shown no such thing, only declaring it so.

What do you mean show? Trump is anti-climate change, Biden acknowledges it. I'm not suggesting Biden does anything. I'm saying, just having people who believe in climate change fundamentally puts us at least on a path (post-Biden) to perhaps do something about it, since at least the problem is being acknowledged.

With Trump, it's not even acknowledged. That difference alone, to me, is seismic. I don't know that anything in specificity would be different in the specific 4 years between them, but the mindset/mentality makes all the difference in the world in terms of setting the national (and international) tone on the issue for the years going forward in a post-Trump or post-Biden world in 2024.

23 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

There is little reason to believe that climate change would result in billions dying from crop failure and famine - Unless you are referring to a war scenario where dwindling resources spark a regional or global nuclear exchange between nuclear nations.

Large scale food production from things like algae are on the verge of being economically possible, and are already technically possible.

I am definitely assuming a devolution of countries and governments and civilizations in the shit show climate change will bring. I think it's basically a given unless we indicate we'll all work together, which we haven't yet.

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

What do you mean show? Trump is anti-climate change, Biden acknowledges it. I'm not suggesting Biden does anything. I'm saying, just having people who believe in climate change fundamentally puts us at least on a path (post-Biden) to perhaps do something about it, since at least the problem is being acknowledged.

With Trump, it's not even acknowledged. That difference alone, to me, is seismic. I don't know that anything in specificity would be different in the specific 4 years between them, but the mindset/mentality makes all the difference in the world in terms of setting the national tone on the issue.

How does his simply thinking the right thing without doing the right thing put the country on a path towards reversing climate change?

(lunch time, but I'll be back in my office in an hour)

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

How does his simply thinking the right thing without doing the right thing put the country on a path towards reversing climate change?

(lunch time, but I'll be back in my office in an hour)

As I said, it sets the national and international tone on the issue. It helps raise others up, pushes others to step up, motivates others to tackle the problem. If Biden funds scientists, pushes for clarity on the issue, etc. etc. that puts us on some kind of positive direction.

Will he end fracking? Reinvent the economy? Do the Green New Deal? I don't think so. But trust me that "thinking the right thing" does have tangible qualities when the other option is Trump. You really don't see that?

With Obama, at least we were talking Paris Climate Accords and weak ass lowering emissions regulations. With 4 years of Trump, we now barely talk about climate change politically, not with the severity it certainly needs. The change has been shocking. Going back to Obama (with Biden) resets us back to Obama, but Trump took us two steps back, so at least we're reversing that course. That's tangible to me.

Web-Card_HQ_Joes-Plan-for-Climate-and-Cl
JOEBIDEN.COM

Joe Biden knows climate change is the greatest threat facing our country and our world, and he has a bold plan for a clean energy revolution.

even if he doesn't accomplish even these modest legislative goals, the executive actions would result in far fewer emissions than continuing on with the status quo.

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

the majesty of the law <3

My friend's involved in the case and I'm not totally understanding his texts, but it seems like there's a high probability that the past votes will stand and drive-through will be cancelled for tomorrow. I am fine with this.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

My friend's involved in the case and I'm not totally understanding his texts, but it seems like there's a high probability that the past votes will stand and drive-through will be cancelled for tomorrow. I am fine with this.

In a normal world, this would be the worst case scenario

But alas, we live in hell world, so you never know!

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

Liberals who'd rather be red than let leftists win.

The notion that a candidate who couldn’t energize Democrats enough to beat HRC or Biden would have energized the nation to vote for him over Trump is Olympic tier mental gymnastics. 

33 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

No one actually knows so stop talking about 2016 who gives a fuuuuuuck

Bernie wouldn’t have won. :p

WASHINGTON—Support for President Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden in a group of battleground states has remained unchanged in recent days, according to a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll, finding little evidence of the kind of last-minute shift toward Mr. Trump that helped him win four years ago.

The poll, conducted on Sunday in 12 states in which the election is most competitive, finds Mr. Biden leading, 51% to 46%, essentially unchanged from a survey late last week.

The new survey underscored an important difference between Mr. Trump’s first campaign for the White House and his re-election fight this year. After watching Mr. Trump for four years, voter opinions of the president have been set for months, and the race appears to have little of the late volatility that marked the 2016 election.

“We set out to find whether or not we could look for late breaks to any candidate, and instead what we found is a pretty stable structure of how this election looks in our polling,” said Republican pollster Bill McInturff, who conducted the survey with Democrat Jeff Horwitt.

social
WWW.WSJ.COM

Support for President Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden in a group of battleground states has remained unchanged in recent days, according to a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll, finding little evidence of the kind of last-minute shift toward Mr. Trump that helped him win four years ago.

I find this poll interesting because it is kind of its own thing that probably isn't factored into 538.