Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

19 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

My MAGA aunt who lives in Lake Oswego is terrified. She thinks Trump will win and that BLM and Antifa will go nuts and everyone will be in danger. She wants to ship my grandpa to eastern Washington to live with my uncle cause she is so afraid of rioting.

No one is rioting in Lake Oswego.

I've been to quite a few protests. The only people that make the protests dangerous are the cops. I mean, don't go around downtown Portland wearing a maga hat after dark, but if you DO do that... you know what you're doing. Like, I don't condone violence, but if you wear a maga hat after dark in Portland, you're either being deliberately antagonistic or you're incredibly fucking stupid.

Edit: Also, I hope you've tried (and probably failed) to explain to your aunt that "antifa" isn't a thing. It's an idea, not a group of people. There is no CEO of Antifa Inc. there are no board members. There is no membership. It doesn't exist.

40 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

No one is rioting in Lake Oswego.

I've been to quite a few protests. The only people that make the protests dangerous are the cops. I mean, don't go around downtown Portland wearing a maga hat after dark, but if you DO do that... you know what you're doing. Like, I don't condone violence, but if you wear a maga hat after dark in Portland, you're either being deliberately antagonistic or you're incredibly fucking stupid.

Edit: Also, I hope you've tried (and probably failed) to explain to your aunt that "antifa" isn't a thing. It's an idea, not a group of people. There is no CEO of Antifa Inc. there are no board members. There is no membership. It doesn't exist.

Isn't Lake Oswego basically the Oregon version of Beverly Hills?  

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

Pretty much. The idea that there would be looting and/or burning and/or assaults in Lake Oswego is ridiculous.

You know what's a good way to keep your windows from getting smashed in if you live in Portland (not that that ever fucking happens to people, don't let the news brainwash you. There's like 4 square blocks downtown that have been fucked up, everything else is fine), put up a black lives matter poster in your window.

21 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Yup. And my aunt lives in one of the swankiest parts there. So the thought of her moving my 93 year old grandpa (who is suffering from pneumonia after he caught covid) is absolutely asinine.  

Can you imagine if the election of 1824 happened today? America at the time was essentially a one-party state. You had four candidates from the same party end up on the ticket (Andrew Jackson, John Quincy Adams, Henry Clay, and... someone else I can't remember), no one got a majority of votes and the election ended up being decided by the House of Representatives. They ended up choosing JQA, even though he got fewer votes than Jackson in the election. Basically everyone in the House agreed that Andrew Jackson was a cunt and didn't want him as president. Oddly, this created a scenario where Jackson was all but guaranteed to win the next election, which he did, quite handily. But he was still a cunt.

I think Jackson would be Trump in this scenario. Jackson was a populist, racist, fuckface (he was like a hipster populist, he liked it before it was cool and it sounds better on vinyl), but the establishment dickheads conspired to keep him out, even though that is what the people voted for. But, by ignoring the will of the people, they all but guaranteed Jackson would win next time.

I'm starting to feel that's how the Democrats are operating. They absolutely refuse to actually offer a progressive platform that people can actually believe in, and every time they do it they're just guaranteeing they'll keep losing. You can only run on a platform of "we're not Republicans" for so long, and they've been doing it since 2004. Republicans run on FEAR. THEY'RE COMING FOR YOU! THEY'RE TAKING YOUR JOBS! YOUR GUNS! YOUR DAUGHTERS! VOTE REPUBLICAN OR YOU'LL BE ASSFUCKED TO OBLIVION!!!!!

That's powerful. That moves people. Democrats, so long as they refuse to adopt an actually progressive platform, are basically running on "we're not as racist as them." Like, get some fucking balls, man. Adopt a platform that actually inspires people and doesn't make people hold their nose while voting.

#BernieWouldHaveWonIn2016

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Can you imagine if the election of 1824 happened today? America at the time was essentially a one-party state. You had four candidates from the same party end up on the ticket (Andrew Jackson, John Quincy Adams, Henry Clay, and... someone else I can't remember), no one got a majority of votes and the election ended up being decided by the House of Representatives. They ended up choosing JQA, even though he got fewer votes than Jackson in the election. Basically everyone in the House agreed that Andrew Jackson was a cunt and didn't want him as president. Oddly, this created a scenario where Jackson was all but guaranteed to win the next election, which he did, quite handily. But he was still a cunt.

I think Jackson would be Trump in this scenario. Jackson was a populist, racist, fuckface (he was like a hipster populist, he liked it before it was cool and it sounds better on vinyl), but the establishment dickheads conspired to keep him out, even though that is what the people voted for. But, by ignoring the will of the people, they all but guaranteed Jackson would win next time.

I'm starting to feel that's how the Democrats are operating. They absolutely refuse to actually offer a progressive platform that people can actually believe in, and every time they do it they're just guaranteeing they'll keep losing. You can only run on a platform of "we're not Republicans" for so long, and they've been doing it since 2004. Republicans run on FEAR. THEY'RE COMING FOR YOU! THEY'RE TAKING YOUR JOBS! YOUR GUNS! YOUR DAUGHTERS! VOTE REPUBLICAN OR YOU'LL BE ASSFUCKED TO OBLIVION!!!!!

That's powerful. That moves people. Democrats, so long as they refuse to adopt an actually progressive platform, are basically running on "we're not as racist as them." Like, get some fucking balls, man. Adopt a platform that actually inspires people and doesn't make people hold their nose while voting.

#BernieWouldHaveWonIn2016

Hah, I was actually just telling my husband about that election a couple weeks ago. He asked what other wonky elections we’ve had in our history, aside from 2000. 

1824 was a clusterfuck. 

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Hah, I was actually just telling my husband about that election a couple weeks ago. He asked what other wonky elections we’ve had in our history, aside from 2000. 

1824 was a clusterfuck. 

Hayes (1876) actually lost the popular vote AND the electoral vote (maybe, it was disputed), but the Democrats agreed to let the Republicans have it if they pulled federal troops from the south, effectively ending reconstruction and dooming the south to nearly a century of Jim Crow laws.

I mean, I don't always know when something was fucked, but that was pretty fucked.

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

Hayes (1876) actually lost the popular vote AND the electoral vote (maybe, it was disputed), but the Democrats agreed to let the Republicans have it if they pulled federal troops from the south, effectively ending reconstruction and dooming the south to nearly a century of Jim Crow laws.

I mean, I don't always know when something was fucked, but that was pretty fucked.

Yep, I educated him on that one, too. Definitely one of the most consequential elections in our history. I'm the nerd who reads history books for fun, he...sticks to tech.

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I've been thinking about 1876 for a while now

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yep, I educated him on that one, too. Definitely one of the most consequential elections in our history. I'm the nerd who reads history books for fun, he...sticks to tech.

I actually like Hayes. He was a decent president. But like, man... talk about a pyrrhic victory.

If you're registered in LA County you can vote anywhere in the county, so to kill some time today I drove over to Magic Castle to drop off my ballot. Pretty cool spot to vote. I think Dodger Stadium is pretty popular, apparently they won't stop you from sitting down in the bleachers in the vicinity of the voting machines, so people are bringing food and taking in the view of the field after voting.

1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

Speaking of Trump's narrow, but possible path....

Here's a CNN article by Harry Enten breaking things down.

Pretty standard stuff that I think everyone probably knows by now. MI and WI are probably safe unless a truly major polling error is going on. PA is the most likely tipping point state. If Biden pulls out any one of Florida, Georgia, or North Carolina(or less likely OH or TX) he doesn't need PA to win.

The most interesting thing for me is that it explained something that happened earlier in this thread.

Remember when that long time NV pollster called NV for Biden and it caused a domino effect that moved AZ from the mid 70's into the mid 80's for Biden, which in turn bumped his likelihood of winning it all up to 98%(at least according to one aggregator)?

That's because  MI, WI, and Nebraska's 2nd precinct vote gets Biden to 259. In that scenario, AZ's 11 EC votes is just enough for 270 without PA. 

The electoral math is pretty simple. Biden needs to find 38 electoral votes on top of the 232 in the contests that Hillary Clinton won in 2016. He's likely to win the one from Nebraska's 2nd Congressional District. Remember, the state of Nebraska allocates an electoral vote to the winner of each of its congressional districts.

On top of that, Biden holds clear and significant leads in two states Trump won by less than a point in 2016: Michigan and Wisconsin. A CNN/SSRS poll on Saturday put Biden up 12 points in Michigan among likely voters, while Biden led in Wisconsin by 8 points in a CNN/SSRS poll and 11 points in a New York Times/Siena College poll released Sunday.

Those two states are worth a combined 26 electoral votes. Add in Nebraska's 2nd Congressional District, you get Biden to 259 electoral votes.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but I didn't realize that was another realistic path for Biden.

I will say, I absolutely voted democrat for the national elections.i happen to live in a state where (at least where I live) republican isn't an option. For down ballot things, I voted green party for a few things.

Fuck democrats, fuck Joe Biden, fuck Kamala Harris, fuck the fucking fucks who pretend everything is fine. It's not fine (ironically I have a tattoo on my wrist that says "everything's fine"). I hope that if the democrats win, they realize they need to swing MORE left, not right. They can't keep running on "we're not as bad as them" or else we're fucked long term.

23 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I will say, I absolutely voted democrat for the national elections.i happen to live in a state where (at least where I live) republican isn't an option. For down ballot things, I voted green party for a few things.

Fuck democrats, fuck Joe Biden, fuck Kamala Harris, fuck the fucking fucks who pretend everything is fine. It's not fine (ironically I have a tattoo on my wrist that says "everything's fine"). I hope that if the democrats win, they realize they need to swing MORE left, not right. They can't keep running on "we're not as bad as them" or else we're fucked long term.

I am already worried about 2024 if Biden wins.

His coalition built largely on beating Trump above all else is rife with the potential to blow up the minute he wins.

And there are a ton of stumbling blocks that will help turn progressives against him if he doesn't go quickly or boldly enough. Overdue stimulus being the first thing on his plate despite a laundry list of progressive priorities people want. The fact that they'll probably need to blow the filibuster to get just about any of it. Court packing. Investigating Trump. There is not going to be much patience for Joe to chase down 7 Republican votes in the Senate for a modification the a bill they are trying to kill with SCOTUS.

And to top it off, Joe probably won't be running in 2024, so no incumbent advantage for Kamala, or whoever it is if she gets a challenger.

That all said, as 2016 taught us, I am a firm believer that bad is still better than disasterous.

• Sad 1