Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

27 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If you're a white person from the greater Detroit area, you're racist until proven otherwise. Met a lot of people there, and have a lot of in-laws there, I stand 100% with this comment.

Metro Detroit is the most racist part of the entire continent.

5 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I mean rural Michigan is a weee bit more everything bad than metro Detroit. 

Working in Detroit with many like minded 20somethings I often forget how shitty a lot of the people who live and work in the burbs really are.

Next up, Arizona:

votecounting.jpg
THEHILL.COM

Arizona's state Republican Party have filed a lawsuit asking a judge to stop officials in Maricopa County, the most populous area of the state, from certifying the...

County officials have argued that the suit should be dismissed, as an audit of ballots to determine if discrepancies exist between tabulated results and actual ballots was already performed.

:dumpster_fire:
I hope the judge labels it frivolous and gives the attorneys a black eye. (career-wise, not literally)

29 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

23 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I mean rural Michigan is a weee bit more everything bad than metro Detroit. 

Working in Detroit with many like minded 20somethings I often forget how shitty a lot of the people who live and work in the burbs really are.

Michigan is just awful. My step dad's family is from the lesser muskegon area. Same shit comes from his family as my in laws. Republicans! Step dad though hates the mask mandates but is too much of a wimp to defy a government order to not follow it which is hilarious.

8 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Next up, Arizona:

votecounting.jpg
THEHILL.COM

Arizona's state Republican Party have filed a lawsuit asking a judge to stop officials in Maricopa County, the most populous area of the state, from certifying the...

:dumpster_fire:
I hope the judge labels it frivolous and gives the attorneys a black eye. (career-wise, not literally)

Why not both?

1 minute ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

So...has a judge compelled the two dissenters to certify the results and we’re still waiting for them to acquiesce or have they already caved and voted to certify?

Too many twists.  The whole plot has jumped the shark into David Lynch territory.

They've voted to certify the results, but were probably made aware of the AG's court application which might have helped "facilitate" their change of mind.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

its a longshot, but maybe another time this could work, I don't see it working now

Right - Biden got lucky that the margins of victory in those multiple states is significant enough that no court in their right mind would issue an injunction against certification.

But in  situations where it's only one or two states with narrower margins?  Yeah - that could work.

Pretty sure if a state doesn't certify,  and the legislature doesn't have electors to send to the electoral college, then those electoral votes are just not factored into the equation.  So for instance, if Michigan goes this route, the total number of electors drops to 522, and the winning number is then 262 electoral votes. 

Biden still wins.

If GA + MI have no electors, then there are 506 total electors, then the winning number is 254.  

Biden still wins. 

EDIT:  Even if GA, MI, WI, AZ, NV all didn't send electors, Biden would still win. 

If Biden keeps NV in his column, he would still win even if GA, MI, WI, AZ, and PA do not send electors -  Winning 233 to 232.

21 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Pretty sure if a state doesn't certify,  and the legislature doesn't have electors to send to the electoral college, then those electoral votes are just not factored into the equation.  So for instance, if Michigan goes this route, the total number of electors drops to 522, and the winning number is then 262 electoral votes. 

Biden still wins.

If GA + MI have no electors, then there are 506 total electors, then the winning number is 254.  

Biden still wins. 

EDIT:  Even if GA, MI, WI, AZ, NV all didn't send electors, Biden would still win. 

If Biden keeps NV in his column, he would still win even if GA, MI, WI, AZ, and PA do not send electors -  Winning 233 to 232.

If neither candidate gets 270 then it goes to the House no matter what, I think. That's the whole idea behind this plan, such as it is, just try and get Biden below 270.

11 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Eastern Washington demands to be recognized. 

8 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Central PA says hi

Those areas weren’t literally built around racial borders like Southeast Michigan! The history of racism of Detroit’s suburbs against the people of the city is quite storied.

2 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

If neither candidate gets 270 then it goes to the House no matter what, I think. That's the whole idea behind this plan, such as it is, just try and get Biden below 270.

Look at the election of 1864.  The rebel states were still technically a part of the US, but they didn't send electors to the electoral college.  This reduced the number of total EVs from over 300 to 234 members.  If a state doesn't send electors, then the total EV count goes down, and the subsequent winning margin.  

Sending the election to the house only comes into play if there is a tie, or if there are more than 2 candidates and no one candidate receives a majority of the votes. 

4 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Those areas weren’t literally built around racial borders like Southeast Michigan! The history of racism of Detroit’s suburbs against the people of the city is quite storied.

I admit I don't know a lot about it (in my daily life I try to not think about Michigan). But I'd like to know more!