Dead Cells OT - update: "Return to Castlevania" DLC to release on 06 March 2023, reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

48 minutes ago, Bacon said:

This. Game looks hella rad, but permadeath and resets aren't going to do it for me. 

The first few sting, especially if you get a nice colorless weapon, but once you come to the realization that everything is transient and ultimately meaningless the game is a blast.

Sometimes it's fun to see how far you can get with shit weapons. 

Finally don't  creep like you are playing Souls run and gun and use skills on cd.

• 7 months later...

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-25-motion-twins-dead-cells-passes-1m-units-sold

Motion Twin's Dead Cells has passed one million sales, the French developer confirmed at GDC last week.

In a session attended by US Gamer, the Bordeaux-based studio said that PC represented 60% of its sales -- which is to be expected given that Dead Cells first launched in Steam Early Access in May 2017.

However, since the game's full launch in August 2018, console platforms have been a major contributor to sales, with Nintendo Switch ahead of PlayStation and Xbox.

In the GDC post-mortem session, Motion Twin's Sébastien Bénard emphasised that Dead Cells was a "last chance project" for a studio that had struggled to establish itself with free-to-play games.

Dead Cells was one of the ten best-selling indie games on Switch, as revealed by Nintendo at GDC last week.

We talked to Motion Twin marketing manager Steve Filby about how the studio built Dead Cells' success. You can read the interview here.

• 1 month later...

I tried playing Sonic 2 on mobile.

Fucking terrible. >.< Mobile controlled really blow.

I just played Dead Cells, though, and it is a FANTASTIC game. After Days Gone, I fully intend on going back and getting the true ending and actual final bosses. I'm not even a big roguelite guy but I was damned impressed!

I'll have to wait on that. I must have spent, like, 70 hours getting the true ending and playing the other DLC this year, and there's no way I'm diving back in that quickly. :p 

But it's a fun fucking game and is the one roguelite that really stuck with me. I'll definitely play it again.

8 minutes ago, legend said:

I never play this game consistently enough to finish the whole thing (got to the last level though!), but I really like the combat. It's my goto mobile game when I need to kill some time.

At some point I just need to git gud and finish it out.

They've made it a lot easier. 

I was the same as you, started a new game a few weeks ago, and I had it beat in less than 10 hours. There's multiple endings and sort of a new game plus with a "true" ending and whatnot I think, but if you just wanna kinda get through the game, enjoy your time with it, and move on, it's pretty quick.

I loved it. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I was the same as you, started a new game a few weeks ago, and I had it beat in less than 10 hours. There's multiple endings and sort of a new game plus with a "true" ending and whatnot I think, but if you just wanna kinda get through the game, enjoy your time with it, and move on, it's pretty quick.

I loved it. 

It's worth it to get the true ending just because there's a lot of game and a lot of gameplay if you're trying to get to the hardest difficulty (which each difficulty changes the game).

31 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It's worth it to get the true ending just because there's a lot of game and a lot of gameplay if you're trying to get to the hardest difficulty (which each difficulty changes the game).

I believe it. I’ll get back to it sometime for sure. I really liked it. 

38 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Go through the no cell again to get some better shit and then go back to 1 cell.

Nah, I've been gradually getting better at it. Slower than I'd like, but I'm getting there. The difference between 1 boss cell and 0 boss cells is night and day. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't having fun with one cell, despite getting my ass kicked. :p I managed to get to the end boss once, so I'll just keep trying, heh. Doing a run with no cells isn't challenging anymore, the fun factor is much lower, haha. Although I cannot imaging attempting this game with 4 cells, or wtv the max is.

4 hours ago, Raggit said:

Nah, I've been gradually getting better at it. Slower than I'd like, but I'm getting there. The difference between 1 boss cell and 0 boss cells is night and day. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't having fun with one cell, despite getting my ass kicked. :p I managed to get to the end boss once, so I'll just keep trying, heh. Doing a run with no cells isn't challenging anymore, the fun factor is much lower, haha. Although I cannot imaging attempting this game with 4 cells, or wtv the max is.

You got this. :angry: 

It's a fucking blast. Once you get in the groove after the learning curve of one cell, it doesn't seem like this impossible thing. I had the seem feelings are you -- "Whoa, this is way harder," "Whoa, is this even impossible even a cell higher?" -- but if you're getting to the final boss now, then you're progressing just fine, probably even a little quicker than I did.

Plus, it's just fucking fun, so as much as I wanted to completely beat the game, I was enjoying every minute getting to the end. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 10:34 AM, Paperclyp said:

I loved it. 

On 12/7/2019 at 10:58 AM, SaysWho? said:

I started it up today, and normal is definitely a ton easier than it was. I was rusty as hell, but still finished normal on my first try (picking up where I left off quite some time ago). Now hard mode on the other hand...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...