Chris-

Which D1P comeback was the best?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Best comeback on D1P?

• Fizzzle
    • Greatoneshere
    • Lucian

5 minutes ago, Brick said:

I didn't even know Greatoneshere had even left. When did that happen? 

@Greatoneshere made some comments about console gaming that threw people up into a tizzy so he left. I remember he also made some weird comment  on like the entertainment board about how you shouldn't have kids or something and @CastlevaniaNut18 was like WTF? Just icing on the cake.

But I stood by him all the way! :flag:

Just go back in that Xbox or PS5 thread. Not sure which one.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@Greatoneshere made some comments about console gaming that threw people up into a tizzy so he left. I remember he also made some weird comment  on like the entertainment board about how you shouldn't have kids or something and @CastlevaniaNut18 was like WTF? Just icing on the cake.

But I stood by him all the way! :flag:

Just go back in that Xbox or PS5 thread. Not sure which one.

This is accurate but hilarious. I said most parents are bad parents, in my experience, who don't take their responsibilities as seriously as they should. Apparently that is a controversial take on parenthood - not sure how when so many adults and kids are fucked up due to how their parents treated them. 

The console gaming thing is similarly misunderstood. People seem to think I was suggesting that if you don't own a powerhouse PC, you aren't a serious gamer. Not true. I was simply asking the question that, if one thinks themselves a serious gamer, without good reason, why wouldn't you get a powerhouse PC. It was never about telling console gamers they aren't serious gamers. But of course people are reductive and made my argument something it wasn't.

Also, D1P is also just kind of dying and a lot of the users I really liked have been gone for awhile now. I just felt there wasn't much left for me here so I was gone for about 2 months. The election brought me back in. :p 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

The console gaming thing is similarly misunderstood. People seem to think I was suggesting that if you don't own a powerhouse PC, you aren't a serious gamer. Not true. I was simply asking the question that, if one thinks themselves a serious gamer, without good reason, why wouldn't you get a powerhouse PC. It was never about telling console gamers they aren't serious gamers.

Maybe this is the point you intended to make, but it isn't the point you actually made. And it all falls into the grander POV you've really started pushing in the last year that people are dumb/lazy/etc. "coincidentally" when their preferences and priorities don't align with yours ;) That isn't to say those people aren't dumb/lazy/etc., but that your preferences and priorities aren't some standard by which all should be measured. 

On the gaming front in particular, one only has so much time in the day to play games. You can fill your gaming time to the brim with only one platform, be it PS4, Switch, Xbone, or PC. So it really doesn't matter which platform you choose as a "serious gamer", whatever that even means, you will have no problem finding titles to scratch the itch.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Maybe this is the point you intended to make, but it isn't the point you actually made. And it all falls into the grander POV you've really started pushing in the last year that people are dumb/lazy/etc. "coincidentally" when their preferences and priorities don't align with yours ;) That isn't to say those people aren't dumb/lazy/etc., but that your preferences and priorities aren't some standard by which all should be measured. 

On the gaming front in particular, one only has so much time in the day to play games. You can fill your gaming time to the brim with only one platform, be it PS4, Switch, Xbone, or PC. So it really doesn't matter which platform you choose as a "serious gamer", whatever that even means, you will have no problem finding titles to scratch the itch.

Again, I'm being misunderstood, which is why I'm leaving the gaming thing be (it was only ever meant to be a theoretical discussion). The grander POV I'm pushing is because I've realized no one holds anyone to account. My standard is borne out of observing all the possibilities and trying to maximize the best ones, regardless of what we're talking about (gaming, parenting, politics, Trump supporters). No one can tell me how my standard is wrong, just that I'm an asshole or bad person for trying to apply it to others.

To me, you all look crazy to let so much slide all the time by others. And it's what gets us into situations like Trump in the first place. Constantly letting all the stupidity just flow out into the world and let it happen because we don't apply any standards to anyone.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Again, I'm being misunderstood, which is why I'm leaving the gaming thing be (it was only ever meant to be a theoretical discussion). The grander POV I'm pushing is because I've realized no one holds anyone to account. My standard is borne out of observing all the possibilities and trying to maximize the best ones, regardless of what we're talking about (gaming, parenting, politics, Trump supporters). No one can tell me how my standard is wrong, just that I'm an asshole or bad person for trying to apply it to others.

To me, you all look crazy to let so much slide all the time by others. And it's what gets us into situations like Trump in the first place. Constantly letting all the stupidity just flow out into the world and let it happen because we don't apply any standards to anyone.

If I'm going to be honest, this is a crazy fucking post right here.   

23 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

If I'm going to be honest, this is a crazy fucking post right here.   

What's crazy about a belief in holding people accountable and taking them to task if they don't meet the bare minimum? People keep saying the shit I'm saying is crazy but no one seems to be willing to explain how and in what way(s).

I literally wrote a paper in college about the rising pride of ignorance as a mode of thought in the 2000's, and here we are. So yes, stupidity, and its bolstered position in human thought as a means of being acceptable to live in such a way, has only increased. It opened the way for a lot of things, and so here we are. Not sure how crazy that is. My professor found the argument well argued, and now the evidence is clearly in the news that there's truth to it.

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

What's crazy about a belief in holding people accountable and taking them to task if they don't meet the bare minimum? People keep saying the shit I'm saying is crazy but no one seems to be willing to explain how and in what way(s).

Honestly, I believe if people tried, it would be too difficult to teach someone something when they already know everything.  It’s a bar/standard that is too high for most. 
observation>lived experience. 

13 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Honestly, I believe if people tried, it would be too difficult to teach someone something when they already know everything.  It’s a bar/standard that is too high for most. 
observation>lived experience. 

This is a cop out. Explain it to me. I can be reasonable, if what I'm missing is so basic that my post is the craziest you've ever seen, then tell me how/why.

I am genuinely okay with going back to lurking if that's what the community wants. If I'm just crazy and tiring people out etc. then I'm no good here, and that's okay.

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

This is a cop out. Explain it to me. I can be reasonable, if what I'm missing is so basic that my post is the craziest you've ever seen, then tell me how/why.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

...My standard is borne out of observing all the possibilities and trying to maximize the best ones, regardless of what we're talking about (gaming, parenting, politics, Trump supporters). No one can tell me how my standard is wrong...

After reading the above and then saying “I’m reasonable”, I’m going to have to pass on this train wreck of a “conversation” right now.  

You see, I have a standards, and one standard is to not engage with people who already have all the answers, and who nobody can tell them how they are wrong.  It just becomes a infinite endeavor of waisted energy and time. 

Realizing how much I don’t know, is far more important that believing in how much I think I know. 

22 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

After reading the above and then saying “I’m reasonable”, I’m going to have to pass on this train wreck of a “conversation” right now.  

You see, I have a standards, and one standard is to not engage with people who already have all the answers, and who nobody can tell them how they are wrong.  It just becomes a infinite endeavor of waisted energy and time. 

Realizing how much I don’t know, is far more important that believing in how much I think I know. 

Whatever reverse psychology or whatever you're trying to do doesn't make sense. In no post did I say what you're suggesting. You're making an adjacent argument to the one I did make, which is why I lamented the reductive nature in being misunderstood. If you're suggesting that having a standard at all of any kind towards people is unreasonable than that's pretty bizarre to me. 

But you're right, we shouldn't engage further, or rather, I won't if you're going to behave like this.

23 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Whatever reverse psychology or whatever you're trying to do doesn't make sense. In no post did I say what you're suggesting. You're making an adjacent argument to the one I did make, which is why I lamented the reductive nature in being misunderstood. If you're suggesting that having a standard at all of any kind towards people is unreasonable than that's pretty bizarre to me. 

But you're right, we shouldn't engage further, or rather, I won't if you're going to behave like this.

kurt cobain shut up GIF

• Guillotine 1

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I am genuinely okay with going back to lurking if that's what the community wants. If I'm just crazy and tiring people out etc. then I'm no good here, and that's okay.

In no way do a couple users thinking some of your takes are spicy and out there mean that the community does not want you to post here. We are allowed to say you have some spicy ass takes. Spicy ass takes make the world go round, my friend.

@Greatonesherekeep the spicy takes coming. Feed them to me like a delicious, spicy Pakistani meal, even though I have no idea what Pakistani cuisine is like, but I do love spicy food. I'm one of the rare White guys that can handle proper spicy ethnic food; went to a ramen place last year and ordered their spiciest dish, it's even a challenge, and the waitress asked me like three times if I'm sure. Yes I'm sure, don't white this down for me, dammit! She even kept checking in with my girlfriend to see if I was OK. It was delicious. I got it splashed in my eye twice though so that was uncomfortable.