Marvel's Moon Knight 🌙 OT - Embrace the Chaos (First trailer, premiering March 30)

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

Sounds like you're unhappy and projecting your unhappiness tbh

thats why i wanted to keep my mouth shut. was gonna just let yall enjoy it. 

i seem to be in the minority on the internet but i thought this episode was pretty bad. I think by itself, it's good. But for this 6 episode series, bad. at this point i pretty strongly believe this would be a better movie. i think there's just too much time being spent on things that can be simplified so the whole thing is just starting to drag for me which is insane since it's been 5 episodes. the multiple personality thing was really interesting at first but now I don't really care. the american accent one is getting boring to me. the wife? who cares, the show certainly doesnt. 

a good finale that's like 90 minutes long could save it but rn i have this as the weakest mcu show. the last two episodes have kinda soured me on this. and just to irritate greatoneshere :p, there were some bad green screens in this episode. They put a lot of work into the hippo lady which I appreciate but it's still annoying seeing some subpar stuff from an expensive disney project. 

• Haha 1
  • True 1

With only one more episode to go, Moon Knight has yet to really draw me in. I think we can all agree that this show isn't selling itself on action or MCU tie ins, so it's down to the multiple personality disorder and the Egyptian gods to make it work. I can't help but feel like the insane asylum stuff is just an extremely watered down version of what we got in Legion, and I while the gods are the motivating forces at work here, they're just not terribly compelling on screen. I'll finish the show, but so far I think it's the weakest of the Disney+ MCU shows.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

With only one more episode to go, Moon Knight has yet to really draw me in. I think we can all agree that this show isn't selling itself on action or MCU tie ins, so it's down to the multiple personality disorder and the Egyptian gods to make it work. I can't help but feel like the insane asylum stuff is just an extremely watered down version of what we got in Legion, and I while the gods are the motivating forces at work here, they're just not terribly compelling on screen. I'll finish the show, but so far I think it's the weakest of the Disney+ MCU shows.

This is more or less where I'm at. If Oscar Isaac wasn't killing it I suspect the show would be getting torched. It's not weird enough to be really out there and weird, it's not actiony enough to be carried by that, and even the first Thor was smarter about lampshading the existence of the Norse pantheon. What If started showing its ass a bit at this point, too. Not that Moon Knight needs to follow the same schedule or even do that at all per se, but it's in a weird spot in that it's not "non-MCU" enough to live on its own, but it's also not MCU enough at the moment for it to really fit in anywhere.

• Halal 4

4 hours ago, johnny said:

thats why i wanted to keep my mouth shut. was gonna just let yall enjoy it. 

i seem to be in the minority on the internet but i thought this episode was pretty bad. I think by itself, it's good. But for this 6 episode series, bad. at this point i pretty strongly believe this would be a better movie. i think there's just too much time being spent on things that can be simplified so the whole thing is just starting to drag for me which is insane since it's been 5 episodes. the multiple personality thing was really interesting at first but now I don't really care. the american accent one is getting boring to me. the wife? who cares, the show certainly doesnt. 

a good finale that's like 90 minutes long could save it but rn i have this as the weakest mcu show. the last two episodes have kinda soured me on this. and just to irritate greatoneshere :p, there were some bad green screens in this episode. They put a lot of work into the hippo lady which I appreciate but it's still annoying seeing some subpar stuff from an expensive disney project. 

Daaaammmmnnn bro didn't mean to make u mad

1 hour ago, Brick said:

People were upset with the ending to Loki? I thought it was a nice cliffhanger to set things up for season 2.

I think it may have more to do with season 1 being released a year ago and season 2 hasn't even begun filming yet, but I haven't watched it, so I'm not sure. Seems like a long time for a cliffhanger lol.

On 5/2/2022 at 3:04 PM, Brick said:

People were upset with the ending to Loki? I thought it was a nice cliffhanger to set things up for season 2.

It wasn't so much that it was a cliffhanger, it's just that the leadup didn't leave people to expect one. It felt like the show was building to a climax, and instead it was like a 20 minutes dialogue scene and then the show just.... stopped and was like "tune in 2023 to find out what happens next!" It didn't end at a point that made sense from a narrative standpoint in basically any way, so it's basically like having to wait 2 years between episodes.

Anywho, as for the topic at hand... Pretty underwhelmed by the end of Moon Knight

Spoiler

The Goddess that chose Layla as her avatar was never fleshed out. What exactly is her deal? And also, the whole third personality thing was poorly thought out and executed. Wouldn't the third personality have, y'know, made a difference with the whole "balance the scales" plotline? It makes pretty much most of the last 2 episodes seem irrelevant. 

Definitely not my favorite MCU thing, probably would have been better as a movie, I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

I thought the ending was fun and since I went in expecting we’d be getting set up for more stuff as opposed to having a “definitive” ending (using a sliding MCU scale, of course), I enjoyed what we got… even if I think the entire premise of Moon Knight and Konshu’s relationship and everything we see in the underworld makes not even a little bit of sense after the stinger.

The weirdest part of the show as it pertains to the MCU, for me, is the apparent existence of actual Egyptian gods. I guess they could turn out to be aliens like Asgardians. But it sure looked like Ammit was stealing actual souls, Mortal Kombat style. Is there anything else in the MCU like this? Even the Soul Stone didn’t seem to do anything like that, Thanos / Natasha made literal sacrifices and didn’t Shang Tsung people on Vormir. And the astral plane seems different, it’s not an “afterlife.”

9 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Anywho, as for the topic at hand... Pretty underwhelmed by the end of Moon Knight

Reveal hidden contents

Definitely not my favorite MCU thing, probably would have been better as a movie, I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

Definitely underwhelming, mostly because it was so rushed. Should have been at least 8 episodes. 

Spoiler

Yes, I agree that third personality would have been needed to balance the scales. And he was down there with them. he was in the sarcophagus we see in the mental institution. Not showing Jake take over and kick everyones ass in that last battle felt cheap as well. I just hope we eventually get more Moon Knight either another season or inclusion in the movies.

Overall while I have been enjoying the D+ series, I appreciate the longer seasons we got from Netflix. 

These D+ miniseries are what they are at this point. In hindsight even WandaVision and FatWS were like this even if it’s to a somewhat lesser extent. Even if they added episodes to this, or to Loki… they got to where they wanted to get to. They’re not being kneecapped by episode count even if the pacing occasionally seems off.

A couple more episodes would of been great, but I was satisfied enough with the finale. Some great action there and I liked the dual personas of the people when they converse with each other. Now for what’s been put in spoilers 

Spoiler

I liked the bonus credit scene there to clean up the matters. Now why was he not on the scale is questionable but Steven and Mark only new of each other and are also both unaware of the third guy. I think for what he was aware of is all that his heart knew too. It wasn’t the 3 personas he needed to heal, just the 2 he created to get through his childhood trauma. Mark knew of Steven and he is aware of his creation, as he broke his own heart in 2 to get through his traumatic life with his mom. He even says he wouldn’t be alive if it weren’t for Steven being there for him. The third guy is a just cold blooded killer, and you can even argue has no heart at all. 

I enjoyed the finale. I'm not sure what people are expecting exactly. It clearly sets up stuff for season 2 whilst wrapping up or at least answering most lingering questions from this season. The costumes were great, the action in the finale was pretty cool, and the post-credits scene helped immensely in wrapping things up, had been waiting for personality number 3 for awhile.

@Fizzzzle, the third personality Jake Lockley seems to be someone Marc is aware of, so my assumption is except in the most dire of situations like episode 3 and the finale, Jake is locked up tight. Note Marc finds Steven in a sarcophagus and releases him but when he sees Jake's sarcophagus he actively ignores it. It seems apparent that Jake can only come out out of sheer need for absolute survival or when Steven and Marc are "asleep" and thus unaware. And there's nothing strange about Tawaret, she's an Egyptian goddess and needs an Avatar to roam Earth like the others. She is the goddess of childbirth and fertility typically and seems to play a role similar to Charon as a boatman in the Egyptian underworld.

@Kal-El814, the Egyptian gods work similar to the Asgardians in Thor and now the Greek gods showing up in Thor: Love and Thunder (as per the teaser trailer). The Egyptian gods technically live in/hail from the Celestial Heliopolis, a small pocket dimension adjacent to Earth where an interdimensional nexus is located in Egypt connecting Earth with this pocket dimension (hence the need for avatars for them on Earth, unlike for Asgardians). It's not more or less stupid/crazy than Asgardians living on Asgard, which is the flat planetary body as shown in the Thor movies but exists on another dimensional plane, which is why they need to take the Bifrost Bridge and not just, like, any space ship (at least, in the comics). 

The same thing works for the Greek gods in Marvel stuff. Olympians live similarly on another dimensional plane like Asgard adjacent to Earth like Asgard and Heliopolis and one known interdimensional nexus between Olympus and Earth is on Mount Olympus in Greece, similar to Egypt for Egyptian gods and Norway/Scandinvania/Germania for Norse gods. Regardless of whether it sounds stupid or not, there is a somewhat internal logic and consistency here. I would say the world of Ta Lo from Shang-Chi also falls into this idea.

As for the stealing actual souls part, I'm not sure how that works any better than I do Wanda and Agatha's "chaos magic" or most of what Dr. Strange does magic wise. Apparently there are multiple mythological afterlives according to the Soul Stone from Infinity War and Moon Knight (Thanos goes . . . somewhere when he uses the Soul Stone, which seems to do funky things in general). The concept of souls or Ammit seeing the future like a pre-cog from Minority Report are vague abstractions, so it's hard to say if Ammit isn't just stealing life forces as opposed to souls and seeing the future could just be "god-level" stuff these gods can do.

Anyways, I would be happy to see a lot more Moon Knight now that the foundation has been established. This season could have been better, but with a very difficult character to adapt like Moon Knight, I think they did a pretty bang up job whilst providing a lot of genuine Egyptian authenticity to the production and the story/portrayal.