Marvel's Moon Knight 🌙 OT - Embrace the Chaos (First trailer, premiering March 30)

Can we talk about how the CG in this show is just... bad? I haven't seen Disney do that, I mean they paid for the Mandalorian for fucks' sake, they basically invented entirely new technology for the CGI in that show. The CGI in Moon Knight is like what you would expect from a CBS primetime show in 2012.

I know they fucked around with the release schedule of Moon Knight/She Hulk/Ms. Marvel a lot (Ms. Marvel was originally supposed to come out last year), so maybe it was just rushed, but like... it's not good. It's distractingly bad sometimes.

Not that that means the show is bad, I'm still enjoying it, I'm just also like "this does not look like a Disney production."

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Can we talk about how the CG in this show is just... bad? I haven't seen Disney do that, I mean they paid for the Mandalorian for fucks' sake, they basically invented entirely new technology for the CGI in that show. The CGI in Moon Knight is like what you would expect from a CBS primetime show in 2012.

I know they fucked around with the release schedule of Moon Knight/She Hulk/Ms. Marvel a lot (Ms. Marvel was originally supposed to come out last year), so maybe it was just rushed, but like... it's not good. It's distractingly bad sometimes.

Not that that means the show is bad, I'm still enjoying it, I'm just also like "this does not look like a Disney production."

it definitely feels incomplete, which is surprising as I thought Feige was a big Moon Knight fan I would have thought he'd make sure this one was polished 

2 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

it definitely feels incomplete, which is surprising as I thought Feige was a big Moon Knight fan I would have thought he'd make sure this one was polished 

My theory is that they fucked around with the release order and that Moon Knight wasn't originally supposed to come out until much later this year. Ms. Marvel, from what I recall, was actually supposed to come out before Hawkeye, but due to COVID delays in Thailand, they didn't finish doing reshoots for that show until January. They acatually started filming Ms. Marvel a solid 6 months or so before She-Hulk and Moon Knight, both of which wrapped before Ms. Marvel did.

Basically it sounds like production on Ms. Marvel was a nightmare and it fucked up their whole pipeline, so we got a Moon Knight that was probably rushed more than it should have been.

It makes sense. It would explain why we didn't get a release date for the next Marvel show for so long after Hawkeye, and I'm sure Disney didn't exactly WANT to have a 3 month break between Hawkeye and Moon Knight. Between Moon Knight, She-Hulk, and Ms. Marvel, they were probably just like "shit, what can we get done the fastest?"

57 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

My theory is that they fucked around with the release order and that Moon Knight wasn't originally supposed to come out until much later this year. Ms. Marvel, from what I recall, was actually supposed to come out before Hawkeye, but due to COVID delays in Thailand, they didn't finish doing reshoots for that show until January. They acatually started filming Ms. Marvel a solid 6 months or so before She-Hulk and Moon Knight, both of which wrapped before Ms. Marvel did.

Basically it sounds like production on Ms. Marvel was a nightmare and it fucked up their whole pipeline, so we got a Moon Knight that was probably rushed more than it should have been.

It makes sense. It would explain why we didn't get a release date for the next Marvel show for so long after Hawkeye, and I'm sure Disney didn't exactly WANT to have a 3 month break between Hawkeye and Moon Knight. Between Moon Knight, She-Hulk, and Ms. Marvel, they were probably just like "shit, what can we get done the fastest?"

could be, though it's still a damn shame the visuals aren't as polished as they should be

Who cares about the CG? All CG will look bad in time, it's the quality of the characters, plot, dialogue, writing, etc that matter. Some of the CG is good, some is okay, I haven't personally found any of it distracting myself. Anyways, this was a pretty solid but not great episode, just due to it being a necessary table setting episode with a lot of exposition. But I enjoyed a lot of the visuals and the action scenes were money - look forward to more.

Also, man the gods are dumb to be so easily tricked during that "trial". :p 

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Who cares about the CG? All CG will look bad in time, it's the quality of the characters, plot, dialogue, writing, etc that matter. Some of the CG is good, some is okay, I haven't personally found any of it distracting myself. Anyways, this was a pretty solid but not great episode, just due to it being a necessary table setting episode with a lot of exposition. But I enjoyed a lot of the visuals and the action scenes were money - look forward to more.

I’d be more inclined to believe gods were real IRL if their worshippers admitted the gods were dumb. :p

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

ehhh there’s a difference between limitations of technology/budget and just bad CG. the former i’m ok with. the latter is annoying to me. like it’s 2022. this has a big budget. no excuses for this really.

it doesn’t ruin my overall enjoyment but i definitely notice it every episode. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, johnny said:

ehhh there’s a difference between limitations of technology/budget and just bad CG. the former i’m ok with. the latter is annoying to me. like it’s 2022. this has a big budget. no excuses for this really.

So far this worst was the jacket in the museum

18 hours ago, johnny said:

I mean, in ten years all CG will be obvious. Even now, I notice CG, even "good" CG, as CG. It's always obvious. So long as I'm invested in the show itself I could care less about the effect so long as they are believable enough, which it is here. Wanting good CG in the moment is a very short term thing, since all will look aged without also inroducing miniatures, practical effects, and matte-ing, like old Star Wars trilogy or LOTR, where the non-CG effects still look great.

23 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, in ten years all CG will be obvious. Even now, I notice CG, even "good" CG, as CG. It's always obvious. So long as I'm invested in the show itself I could care less about the effect so long as they are believable enough, which it is here. Wanting good CG in the moment is a very short term thing, since all will look aged without also inroducing miniatures, practical effects, and matte-ing, like old Star Wars trilogy or LOTR, where the non-CG effects still look great.

it’s not really about noticing it’s CG or not. it’s about it looking good. 

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

But it all looks bad? It's very rare that CG convinces me in any way. It's always obviously CG.

it doesn’t have to fool me to be good CG. sure sometimes it should look real depending on what we are talking about. but i don’t look at Khonshu(sp?) and expect it to look like that thing is perfectly realistic. i know rocket raccoon is CG by looking at him but he looks GOOD. some stuff just looks bad. 

im guessing they had to rush the CG for this show. i read a few things about how this was supposed to come after ms marvel but that show was having logistical issues or something with the pandemic so this got moved up. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, johnny said:

it doesn’t have to fool me to be good CG. sure sometimes it should look real depending on what we are talking about. but i don’t look at Khonshu(sp?) and expect it to look like that thing is perfectly realistic. i know rocket raccoon is CG by looking at him but he looks GOOD. some stuff just looks bad. 

im guessing they had to rush the CG for this show. i read a few things about how this was supposed to come after ms marvel but that show was having logistical issues or something with the pandemic so this got moved up. 

So you don't watch old movies? I'm not really sure why it matters? All CG ages?

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think some of the effects in Moon Knight, certainly not all of them, look "bad" contemporaneously and in comparison to other MCU D+ content. Specifically I think the MCU stuff in general does a really good job with their digital sets and there are few scenes so far in Moon Knight that are more obviously digital sets compared to stuff in Falcon and The Winter Soldier or Loki. It's not like they look like trash, but Moon Knight is the only one of those shows where as I was watching it I went, "oh Oscar Isaac and that dude he punched aren't anywhere near a moving truck right now."

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

i already said it isn’t messing with my enjoyment but i can’t NOT notice it looking bad. and because of what the show is and the budget behind it, i feel the need to point it out because it’s odd that it looks as bad as it does. 

yes CG is better today than 20 years ago and in 20 years the CG will be even better. but right here, right now, parts of this don’t look good and it’s weird because of how much money they pour into these shows. 

im not going to like or dislike an mcu thing because of the CG but it’s still worth pointing out 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

You guys are ridiculous. Films or TV shows feel like CG yet people find a way to love X-Files.

GC or practical effects doesn't, they can suck and I can still enjoy it. Hell you look at the special effects and costumes from things like the creature from the black lagoon or the original planet of the apes, I still enjoy that. The point I think most are making (at least I know I was) is that by comparison to what we've seen from other D+ shows the GC isn't the same caliber. I'm still enjoying the heck out of Moon Knight, and the only really poor effects IMO has been the jackal attack in the museum. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, like I said, I'm enjoying Moon Knight, I'm just comparing it to something like The Mandalorian, where it was like they literally invented new technology to make that show look as good as it does. All the other Marvel D+ shows have looked amazing. Moon Knight is like... eh, looks like a regular ass network TV series that airs 22 episode seasons.

That's why I was curious as to how that happened.

• True 1

On 4/13/2022 at 11:29 AM, Fizzzzle said:

Yea the CG isn't great in some places, but, tbf, it's no worse than the CG in Eternals (which was pretty bad)

If you pick up on the clues, it's actually pretty clear what's going on/what's happening, but a phenomenal episode all around. Exposition heavy at times, but now we can just barrel forward for the last two episodes.

Anyone catch the Aztec gods reference? Doubt it means anything, but was interesting.

That was indeed a great episode and flew by time wise with all that went on. I was sort hoping that as an Easter egg, that we would see Apocalypse as his own statue up there. Wouldn’t it be weird and sort of funny if this is his introduction and mutants into MCU. (irony of him being the former apocalypse actor too)

11 hours ago, silentbob said:

That was indeed a great episode and flew by time wise with all that went on. I was sort hoping that as an Easter egg, that we would see Apocalypse as his own statue up there. Wouldn’t it be weird and sort of funny if this is his introduction and mutants into MCU. (irony of him being the former apocalypse actor too)

That would have been cool, but may have confused people that he was an Egyptian God rather than one of the first mutants.