Jump to content

I think I have forgotten how to eat.


Recommended Posts

I just don't get it. About two weeks ago, one day I just woke up and had a hard time eating. Like, I can barely swallow food and food keeps getting stuck on the back of my tongue. Or it feels like the food is getting caught on something right before it actually gets swallowed. I have had to lower the quantity of food I put in my mouth at a time. If I eat food with my back teeth like I used to do it feels like the food is about to enter my throat without having swallowed. I am no eating basically everything near the front of my mouth now. And like, when the food gets "stuck" I always panic because it feels like I am about to choke on it. I am basically scared to eat because if I do actually start choking, I'll probably just die. Although, I have yet to actually choke tho. And I have been having to chew food to the extreme to where it is basically pure food paste. The food ceases being a solid by the time I feel I can finally swallow it. 

 

It felt like things were slowly returning to normal, but yesterday this shit same back in full force. I was still consciously eating different, but I felt like I wasn't chewing a much and it felt like I hadn't had any issues with food nearly getting stuck. Now its back to panicking every third bite I take. 

 

Like, have you ever had to take a pill and for some reason you just have hard time getting it down? Like it won't leave your tongue? Maybe you have to like swish it around and then make a consciously large gulp to get it down. That is what every bite feel like. 

 

I just don't understand what is wrong. But if feels like it is an issue with my tongue, because I become very conscience of it. At times it feels like I am about to swallow to own tongue. I started drinking more water, and even started using a dry mouth mouthwash but that doesn't seem to be helping anything. I mean, it is still better to be drinking more water in general but it doesn't seem to be helping my issue. 

 

It is all just very frustrating. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Trouble eating/swallowing can actually be symptomatic of some significant issues, so that is most certainly something you want to bring up to a PCP and/or ENT.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Trouble eating/swallowing can actually be symptomatic of some significant issues, so that is most certainly something you want to bring up to a PCP and/or ENT.

 

There is a good chance it's just anxiety, but still worth it to get it checked out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Joe said:

Btw, you're supposed to chew food into a paste before you swallow.

 

I sent this info to Bacon and he wants to know:  “do you swallow right after you chew, or do you wait a certain amount of time first?”

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe said:

@Baconhow you feeling?

The same. Not worse not better. 

 

On 10/25/2020 at 1:13 PM, Joe said:

Btw, you're supposed to chew food into a paste before you swallow.

I mean, I don't think to this extent tho. Or I have never to this extent. Like, before I would chew food to the consistency of cottage cheese or like soggy rice krispies and now I need to chew it until it becomes like applesauce or mashed potatoes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bacon said:

The same. Not worse not better. 

 

I mean, I don't think to this extent tho. Or I have never to this extent. Like, before I would chew food to the consistency of cottage cheese or like soggy rice krispies and now I need to chew it until it becomes like applesauce or mashed potatoes.

 

You're probably just overthinking it. This does not sound like true dysphagia (not a dr tho). Have you had any reflux / heartburn issues recently? I honestly went through this exact issue last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joe said:

Have you had any reflux / heartburn issues recently?

Nope. Well, except for when I had that cup of apple juice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apple juice will sometimes give me what I can only assume is heart burn or something similar. It doesn't happen all the time, but I will sometimes have a weird reaction to apple juice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Doctor couldn't find anything wrong. I did mention that sometimes(kinda rarely) I get this butterflies in my chest kinda feeling when I lay down for bed. I use to get it all the time when I was drinking a bunch of gatorade but it nearly stopped altogether when I figured out that gatorade was the issue and I stopped drinking it. But I had that + heartburn about 5 night ago so they gave me Pantoprazole for a possibility of GERD. They also ran some labs but I don't know what for. They mentioned about getting an endoscopy, but no appointment was made for that. They want me to come back in a month tho for a follow up. I am guessing that if the issue still persists that is when I'll get the upper endoscopy. Also said my ears looked dull but left it at that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Doctor couldn't find anything wrong. I did mention that sometimes(kinda rarely) I get this butterflies in my chest kinda feeling when I lay down for bed. I use to get it all the time when I was drinking a bunch of gatorade but it nearly stopped altogether when I figured out that gatorade was the issue and I stopped drinking it. But I had that + heartburn about 5 night ago so they gave me Pantoprazole for a possibility of GERD. They also ran some labs but I don't know what for. They mentioned about getting an endoscopy, but no appointment was made for that. They want me to come back in a month tho for a follow up. I am guessing that if the issue still persists that is when I'll get the upper endoscopy. Also said my ears looked dull but left it at that. 

 

Get the upper endoscopy for peace of mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yeah. It seems to be on this cycle of seeming like it is about to get better and then it suddenly reverts back to being bad. 

 

Like I said earlier in this thread, I went through this exact issue a few years back. I had a totally normal upper endoscopy. Like, I didn't even show damage in my esophagus whatsoever. Still, I'd get the UE done if you don't feel better because esophageal cancer is super rare (you almost certainly do not have it) but a death sentence nonetheless. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Super easy procedure, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joe said:

 

Like I said earlier in this thread, I went through this exact issue a few years back. I had a totally normal upper endoscopy. Like, I didn't even show damage in my esophagus whatsoever. Still, I'd get the UE done if you don't feel better because esophageal cancer is super rare (you almost certainly do not have it) but a death sentence nonetheless. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Super easy procedure, too.

I have thought about the cancer too. I kinda know someone who had some kind of oral cancer and I think he had to have his tongue removed but he still ended up dying. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...