Maan, what's left when you start seeing the very best of each genre?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Shappy

Shappy
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

I've already seen the best horror movie that the industry has to offer... 'Cabin in the Woods'.
I've already seen the best action movie that the industry has to offer... 'The Raid: Redemption'.
The best super hero movie that the industry has to offer comes out soon... 'Avengers' (Yeah, #$%^ you, 'Dark Knight').
For me the comedy genre probably peaked with 'The Hangover'.

What's left? Drama? Adventure?
He was bread to hate, but that should be the yeast of our worries.

Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul.

#2 gamer.tv

gamer.tv

This is your life...

• 17,295 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

The answer to all of the above is Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.

...and it's ending one minute at a time.

#3 Emblazon

Emblazon
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

If Hangover is your tops, then you have really low standards.
Posted Image

#4 SilverShadow

SilverShadow

The Blood Dragon

• 27,862 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

Nothing until something better comes along
http://www.last.fm/user/Hydro-Thunder

PC: i5-3570K 8GB 660Ti 1TB
Laptop: i7-4700MQ 12GB 765m 750GB

Posted Image

#5 Shappy

Shappy
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostEmblazon, on 20 April 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

I said probably. I did laugh a lot... I was trying to sift through my brain to think of one.
He was bread to hate, but that should be the yeast of our worries.

Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul.

#6 Captain Pickle

Captain Pickle
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Yeah, Hangover kinda sucked. Generic ass comedy.  Hell, Half Baked destroys that movie.
Posted Image

#7 Emblazon

Emblazon
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

Of recent films, Horrible Bosses destroys Hangover.

"Can you... see my pussy?"
Posted Image

#8 legend

legend

Dreams of Electric Sheep

• 16,668 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

The Princess Bride is quite clearly the best comedy ever.
I passed the Turing test.
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Asimov

#9 Captain Pickle

Captain Pickle
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

I really can't think of many great comedies.  Having a hard time finding any on the internet.  Looks like we could use a few more of those.

Recently that is.
Posted Image

#10 gazzilla

gazzilla
  • Newly Registered
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

Every genre has almost countless amazing films. You cant discard a genre because you've seen what you deem to be "the best". Even within genres, great films have vastly different themes. Hell, compare Blade Runner to Alien. Or Terminator 2 to The Matrix. This is such a pessimistic and defeatist way to approach film. You'd have to ignore context, content and style for the sake of lumping all good films into vague genres and then ranking them.
"Remember Sammy Jenkis"

#11 Kitoro

Kitoro

Wahoo!

• 7,194 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

View PostEmblazon, on 20 April 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Yeah, that movie was very underwhelming for me. I'd place any Apatow comedy over that.
Posted Image
3DS Friend Code: 1461-6203-0630

Now Playing: Nothing of Value
Anticipating: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Epic Mickey 2

#12 Emblazon

Emblazon
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

View Postlegend, on 20 April 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 zotquix

zotquix

1st Daimyo of Ohio

• 3,728 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

What's left? Make your own movies I guess.

Actually, I really think we shouldn't approach art as a competition. While some art can be well realized, comparing two movies, even of the same genre, is often really apples and oranges. Anyhow if you're looking for something to watch, again I'm going to pimp Pontypool. Moves slow in some ways, but really a smart, interesting film.

#14 Captain Pickle

Captain Pickle
  • 5,681 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

View Postlegend, on 20 April 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Be quiet and I mean it!
Posted Image

#15 zotquix

zotquix

1st Daimyo of Ohio

• 3,728 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

Given the OPs taste, best Shakespeare adaptation might be Whedons's Much Ado About Nothing (though it has a lot to live up to comparing it to Brannaugh's).

Then too, other great Shakespearian movies:

1. Strange Brew (aka Hamlet)
2. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead (Tom Stoppard)
3. Shakespeare in Love (Tom Stoppard)
4. Henry V (Brannaugh version with the awesome background music)
5. The Forbidden Planet (aka The Tempest)
6. Prospero's Books (trippy version of The Tempest)
7. Romeo + Juliet w/DiCaprio
8. Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet (Juliet is a hawty)
9. Theater of Blood (Vincent Price kills people via methods from various Shakespearian plays, campy 70s horror at its best)
10. Roman Polanski's Macbeth (kind of overhyped, but brutal and bloody for the time -- Polanski's first film after the Manson family killed the directors wife and friends)

Movies that I have not seen but should: My Own Private Idaho, Orson Welles Othello

#16 LazyPiranha

LazyPiranha
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

If you think the best movies of any genre have been made this year, you have a very short memory.  Besides, I've not seen CitW yet, but I doubt a satire on the genre can be the best of the genre because it by definition cannot exist without everything that preceded it.
And YOU, you that call yourselves Collectors.  Until now you have all sustained fantasies in which you are the maltreated heroes of your own stories.  Comforting daydreams in which, ultimately, you are shown to be in the right.  No more.  For all of you the dream is over.  I have taken it away.  For this is my judgment on you:  that you shall know, at all times, and forever, exactly what you are.  And you shall know just how little that means.

#17 Iron-and-Wine

Iron-and-Wine
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hangover.......

Groundhog Day?  Dr. Strangelove?  Life of Brian?

#18 dreammitchconner

dreammitchconner

Works on contingency? No, money down

• 10,322 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

View PostLazyPiranha, on 20 April 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

If you think the best movies of any genre have been made this year, you have a very short memory.  Besides, I've not seen CitW yet, but I doubt a satire on the genre can be the best of the genre because it by definition cannot exist without everything that preceded it.

You, my good sir, have taken the bait.

XBL: CATxPARTY

#19 bob

bob
  • Newly Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

super bad>21 jump street>>>hangover

#20 KupoBitches

KupoBitches

You are what you do

• 1,311 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostShappy, on 20 April 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

(Yeah, #$%^ you, 'Dark Knight').

Man you're gonna regret the shit out of that statement in a couple of months.
Posted Image

#21 therockdltj

therockdltj
  • 6,232 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

View PostKupoBitches, on 20 April 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

I agree with him Dark Knight is going to suck ass!

#22 SirRothwyn

SirRothwyn
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

^ Nope. Nolan has not made a bad movie yet. Will it live up to the hype and be the amazing lightning-in-a-bottle "HOLY SHIT" experience that The Dark Knight was? Likely not. Will it still be a very well-crafted action thriller with a great cast, slick direction, and a smart story? Almost certainly.

That said, early reviews of The Avengers are VERY positive. That it's the real deal, lives up to the hype, validates Marvel's insane project, makes up for other Marvel films' shortcomings, and delivers everything an amazing superhero movie should. I hate to say "I told you so" but. . . wait, no I don't.

And I did. :]

View PostShappy, on 20 April 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

I've already seen the best horror movie that the industry has to offer... 'Cabin in the Woods'.
I've already seen the best action movie that the industry has to offer... 'The Raid: Redemption'.
The best super hero movie that the industry has to offer comes out soon... 'Avengers' (Yeah, #$%^ you, 'Dark Knight').
For me the comedy genre probably peaked with 'The Hangover'.

What's left? Drama? Adventure?

Thing is, those are all recent movies (and aren't all actually "the best" of their respective genres - The Thing, Die Hard, The Dark Knight, and Ghostbusters all say hi), but not only do different genres mixing offer unique and amazing permutations of existing genres (the fucking MATRIX), but talented new directors, talented new actors, and talented new visual designers keep coming together to make amazing movies. Nolan grabbed everyone by the balls with Memento a little over a decade ago, and look where he's gone since - setting the bar for the comic book movie. Gibson exploded as a director in the 90's with Braveheart, almost single-handedly revitalizing the "historical epic," Spielberg blew the doors off action film-making with Raiders of the Lost Ark. And so on and on it goes.

You have NEVER seen the "best" movie a genre has to offer. . . because it really hasn't been made yet.
"Tell me another story about the Shepard. . ."

Nerdy Blog
@BLCAgnew

#23 gamer.tv

gamer.tv

This is your life...

• 17,295 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Shaun of the Dead is still the funniest movie I've ever seen, though American Psycho comes a close second (due to many an inside joke).

...and it's ending one minute at a time.

#24 SlamWolf

SlamWolf
  • 29,048 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

View PostKupoBitches, on 20 April 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm cracking my knuckles.  Shappy, you and me, man... we have a score to settle.

Dance-off. :dance:
"What is wrong with you people?" - SFLUFAN

View PostEveryman, on 10 April 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

I'm on the lower rung of the loser ladder.

#25 Emblazon

Emblazon
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

View Postgamer.tv, on 20 April 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

Shaun of the Dead is still the funniest movie I've ever seen, though American Psycho comes a close second (due to many an inside joke).

Dat's placist!

(get it?) :P
Posted Image

#26 zotquix

zotquix

1st Daimyo of Ohio

• 3,728 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

Even as a Nolan fanboy hater, I would say at least Memento and The Prestige were good. And I won't condemn Rises without seeing it.

And art isn't a competition. I don't like Nolan's take on Batman, or what I think he is saying with it, or the lemming like response "ohmygodbesteverwecanstopmakingmoviesnowwedone" response, but that isn't to say there aren't redeeming qualities that even I can see. Decent cinematography comes to mind.

#27 KupoBitches

KupoBitches

You are what you do

• 1,311 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

View Postzotquix, on 21 April 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

Even as a Nolan fanboy hater, I would say at least Memento and The Prestige were good. And I won't condemn Rises without seeing it.

And art isn't a competition. I don't like Nolan's take on Batman, or what I think he is saying with it, or the lemming like response "ohmygodbesteverwecanstopmakingmoviesnowwedone" response, but that isn't to say there aren't redeeming qualities that even I can see. Decent cinematography comes to mind.

Are you saying that Nolan's films have no redeeming qualities besides the "decent cinematography"?
Posted Image

#28 zotquix

zotquix

1st Daimyo of Ohio

• 3,728 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

Like I said, I see a lot to like in The Prestige and Memento. I pretty much hate his Batman movies and am sort of bored by Inception.

#29 bob

bob
  • Newly Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

View Postzotquix, on 22 April 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

Like I said, I see a lot to like in The Prestige and Memento. I pretty much hate his Batman movies and am sort of bored by Inception.

...how? why?

#30 MarSolo

MarSolo

Sexy Han Solo

• 2,776 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

He's not completely wrong about the Batman movies. He's not completely right either.

The fight scenes in both movies are really not that good, in fact, they borderline on boring. In the Dark Knight, the movie really falls apart after the Joker escapes. That boat scene with the detonators really drags (and don't get me started about the "good criminal"), and Harvey Dent's motivations as Two-Face become absurd when he goes after Gordon (the cleanest cop of all time outside of dealing with Batman) and his family. Plus, killing Two-Face was dumb. Really dumb.

But other than that, Nolan managed to bring Batman into an uber-serious world, especially when you consider the ridiculousness of half of his villains. They managed to make all the villains fit in an almost real world setting perfectly.

They're great movies, just not the greatest off all time that everyone claims them to be.
Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste...

#31 tgo

tgo
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

I ask myself this with TV series.  For sci-fi you got x-files, fringe, and supernatural.  Organized Crime you have Sopranos and Sons of Anarchy.  Not sure what else they do with these two.

#32 Greatoneshere

Greatoneshere
  • 6,104 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

View Postgazzilla, on 20 April 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

Every genre has almost countless amazing films. You cant discard a genre because you've seen what you deem to be "the best". Even within genres, great films have vastly different themes. Hell, compare Blade Runner to Alien. Or Terminator 2 to The Matrix. This is such a pessimistic and defeatist way to approach film. You'd have to ignore context, content and style for the sake of lumping all good films into vague genres and then ranking them.

This.
"@Greatoneshere - I think you look into things too deeply." - Karld316

#33 SlamWolf

SlamWolf
  • 29,048 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostMarSolo, on 22 April 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

He's not completely wrong about the Batman movies. He's not completely right either.

The fight scenes in both movies are really not that good, in fact, they borderline on boring. In the Dark Knight, the movie really falls apart after the Joker escapes. That boat scene with the detonators really drags (and don't get me started about the "good criminal"), and Harvey Dent's motivations as Two-Face become absurd when he goes after Gordon (the cleanest cop of all time outside of dealing with Batman) and his family. Plus, killing Two-Face was dumb. Really dumb.

Damn, I completely disagree with everything you just said except for the fight scenes, and even then I only agree about Begins.
"What is wrong with you people?" - SFLUFAN

View PostEveryman, on 10 April 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

I'm on the lower rung of the loser ladder.

#34 MarSolo

MarSolo

Sexy Han Solo

• 2,776 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

View PostFrightwolf, on 22 April 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Damn, I completely disagree with everything you just said except for the fight scenes, and even then I only agree about Begins.

It happens.

Like I said, they're mostly minor gripes that I have with the movies. I don't like how they handled Harvey at the end. I felt he should have been set up to be the main villain in the third movie rather than the "follow the example of the Spider-Man trilogy and put in a shitty 90's villain for the third movie" in Bane.
Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste...

#35 zotquix

zotquix

1st Daimyo of Ohio

• 3,728 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PostMarSolo, on 22 April 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

But other than that, Nolan managed to bring Batman into an uber-serious world, especially when you consider the ridiculousness of half of his villains. They managed to make all the villains fit in an almost real world setting perfectly.

They're great movies, just not the greatest off all time that everyone claims them to be.

I agree with most of what you said. I would just add, I didn't like Bale as Batman. I don't like the growling. The batsuit looks awkward. And batman is supposed to be smart. Really smart. Iconic for smartness. That is not seen in Nolan's films. Frankly, it doesn't really feel like Batman at all to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users