Sign in to follow this  
Edo Tensei

PS3 Surpasses Xbox 360 In Worldwide Sales

I don't really care one way or the other but all we have been hearing is the xbox has been outselling ps3 for a considerable amount of months straight. Now I could be wrong and maybe it was only talking u.s. Also the way it is counting systems sounds suspect to me.

Well, being as how I'm in the US, not at all caring. 360 will always be # 1 here, and as such, great games will continue to come out in droves, like always. No worries...

Kudos for Sony though on this tremendous accomplishment, I'm sure they're very proud.

What does;

Being in the USA

What "rank" the console is for sales in the USA

Have to do with gaming?

This should surprise no one, really. The PS3 has a much better worldwide presence than the 360 for reasons stated a million times before. It was only a matter of time.

On a related topic, both consoles are putting out some big exclusives this year, so it's a great time to be a multi-console owner.

There IS a reason to be surprised. The PS3 was only 1 million ahead in Europe(despite talk that it was much further behind), about 3 million ahead in Japan, and 5 million behind in the US. The article says nothing really about sales at all except in the title.

The units "globally active" are significantly less than known total (7 million+ less of 360, and 4 million less of PS3) sales and we don't have a definition of what that really means or how it was measured. It almost seems like someone picked a weird measurement to make something appear to have happened that has not.

I see no reason to take it seriously at this point other than to explain why it I do not find it credible.

The numbers at this point don't really matter; what matters is that the Xbox has stolen a lot of mindshare away from the Playstation. Units sold would matter as a measurement of mindshare at the beginning of a new console cycle, or if there was a wild and dramatic swing toward the end, but this slow inching until eventually selling a handful of more units when you count them a certain way isn't really indicative of anything major.

If it's indicative of anything it's of how far the Playstation brand has fallen compared to the last round of consoles. It's gone from crushing the competition by any measure possible to .. finally eking out a minor lead in "worldwide active consoles" after almost six years.

meh, I don't play much games on my blu-ray player.

The numbers at this point don't really matter; what matters is that the Xbox has stolen a lot of mindshare away from the Playstation. Units sold would matter as a measurement of mindshare at the beginning of a new console cycle, or if there was a wild and dramatic swing toward the end, but this slow inching until eventually selling a handful of more units when you count them a certain way isn't really indicative of anything major.

If it's indicative of anything it's of how far the Playstation brand has fallen compared to the last round of consoles. It's gone from crushing the competition by any measure possible to .. finally eking out a minor lead in "worldwide active consoles" after almost six years.

In america.

As someone who only has a ps3 I personally don't give a crap about npd numbers as I have stated in the past that anyone who post them should have their thread deleted. Like Gunnsforhire said in the video. Who the heck cares? The only people who care are trolls. The reason I posted this is to kill some of that the ps3 is doing terrible this generation fanboy bs. Everyone is doing ok in this economy.

I wish there would be no more NPD threads but we know someone here will post them and be a fanboy/fangirl about it when it really doesn't make sense or matter.

And yet, I still don't know anyone with a PS3

That could just be a regional thing. Anecdotes usually make for very bad samples though.

In america.

As someone who only has a ps3 I personally don't give a crap about npd numbers as I have stated in the past that anyone who post them should have their thread deleted. Like Gunnsforhire said in the video. Who the heck cares? The only people who care are trolls. The reason I posted this is to kill some of that the ps3 is doing terrible this generation fanboy bs. Everyone is doing ok in this economy.

I wish there would be no more NPD threads but we know someone here will post them and be a fanboy/fangirl about it when it really doesn't make sense or matter.

That sounds like a rather trollish and fan-wankish motive at BEST.

Anyway your post doesn't match even the known sales numbers of late last year, doesn't explain its methods, and doesn't really prove anything about anything so it isn't going to be able "kill" anything.

To me the whole "global active units" sounds a bit like BS in the first place that was designed to stir things up in aggregator sites.

Also I don't see why anyone should care how you feel about NPD numbers.

If people want to talk about them, they are standardized, and produced by a neutral third party, and relevant to a big chunk of the game market (in the US), then there is no reason to feel threatened by them or try to cast them down or to try and dredge up weird alternative counting schemes and pretend that they prove that the PS3 has surpasses the 360 in worldwide sales.

They both have about 25% of the market right now. Things seem pretty balanced to me. Things should pick up a bit after we have some price drops around or after E3.

That could just be a regional thing. Anecdotes usually make for very bad samples though.

Sample of what? Nice try at a comeback. I'm sure it made you feel witty. But my point was that sales numbers are a ridiculous argument in justifying a console's superiority. People buy what their friends have. Simple as that.

Sample of what? Nice try at a comeback. I'm sure it made you feel witty. But my point was that sales numbers are a ridiculous argument in justifying a console's superiority. People buy what their friends have. Simple as that.

From what I can tell, he wasn't trying to be witty or get you of anything. He's saying the fact that you know nobody with a ps3 really has no bearing at all of what the actual sales numbers are, and anecdotal evidence is a bad way about going about concluding anything.

Also, I haven't seen anyone state the ps3 is superior to anything because of sales numbers. People seem to assume that's what is being done with their defensive posts though.

I don't mind pal's skepticism and think he raises some valid points.

On a related topic, both consoles are putting out some big exclusives this year, so it's a great time to be a multi-console owner.

Um, is the 360 putting out any good/popular exclusives this year at all besides gears of war, and possibly another goddamn halo game? Not that i could give a shit less about any 360 exclusive, but i'm wondering how in the hell someone could compare the 360's amount, or quality of exclusives compared to the ps3's.

In america.

As someone who only has a ps3 I personally don't give a crap about npd numbers...

Why would you try to put a qualifier on my post regarding the relative popularity of a console and then try and suggest you don't care about sales numbers? Clearly you care, or you wouldn't try to correct my post (even though it doesn't actually change what I said).

In terms of future support for my console of choice, in my market, I think it means a lot. Difficult concept to grasp?

Both the PS3 and 360 have plenty of support.

Are there any European titles for the 360 or PS3 you want that have not come to the states?!?!

Anyone that cares about sales figures either works in the industry, or has no life. [face_peace]

And yet, I still don't know anyone with a PS3

If this isn't a perfect example of a Trolls comment I don't know what is. It actually made me laugh out loud, so for that I give you props, wait no I don't !! [face_shame_on_you] Owning a 360, and a ps3 this generation has been an amazing experience for a true gamer. being able to play all the exclusives, and yet have the ability to chooses what console I want the big Multi-console games to play on has been great. You really should try and get out from under that rock you live under, today is truly a very nice day. [face_applause] [face_applause] [face_applause] [face_applause]

no! this is rubbish, either post the real numbers or do not and crawl back under your own rock!

Am I going crazy? What was wrong with hardact's post?

I think I'm taking a break from the boards for a while lol.