James Cameron says Avatar 2 filming is 100% complete, Avatar 3 is is 95% finished, praises New Zealand

SaysWho?

DEADLINE.COM

James Cameron provided his Terminator star Arnold Schwarzenegger with an update on the Avatar sequels during a recent chat for the 2020 Austrian World Summit. Speaking by video conference from New …

Cameron said, “We’re 100% complete on Avatar 2 and sort of 95% complete on Avatar 3.” He added that the team is currently working on shooting the remainder of the live action. (Check out the video below.)

Cameron explained that the production lost “about four and a half months” owing to COVID-19, which “hit us like it hit everybody, it hit us hard.” Avatar 2’s release, as previously announced, “rolled around a full year” because of the pandemic lockdowns, Cameron added. In July, Disney moved all the Avatar sequels, setting Avatar 2 on December 16, 2022 and Avatar 3 on December 20, 2024. The fourth and fifth pictures are due in 2026 and 2028.

Cameron praised New Zealand’s management of the coronavirus outbreak, saying, “We’re very lucky in that we chose this as our production site years ago. We made the first film here in New Zealand and it turns out to be ranking first or second best country in the world for its COVID response.” In June, New Zealand announced it was virus free, though an August outbreak in Auckland forced a new alert level that has since been downgraded.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's really quite amazing that the #1 movie of all time had basically no impact at all on our culture. I can't see these movies coming even close to the same level of success.

Crazy thing is that the sequel only has to make ~50% what the first one did to break the top 10 all time. I didn't love Avatar, but I also won't bet against Cameron.

I do think that by next December, the timing could be right for a real event film to take over. The MCU finished it's big arc, Star Wars is on pause, DC never really got their act together. We've seen long anticipated sequels do really well, even if the movie isn't great. Disney is going to throw all the money at Avatar advertising, and there will be endless stories about the making of the film.

I think I'd bet against it breaking Avatar's record, but it wouldn't shock me if it did, and I think it could easily be the 6th $2B movie.

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's really quite amazing that the #1 movie of all time had basically no impact at all on our culture. I can't see these movies coming even close to the same level of success.

#1 in terms of box office sales? If so the movie 100% got lucky by getting to upsell everyone on 3D before people figured out 3D is shit and not worth shelling out for.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

#1 in terms of box office sales? If so the movie 100% got lucky by getting to upsell everyone on 3D before people figured out 3D is shit and not worth shelling out for.

Maybe at the theatre but 3D looks stunning at home on my projector. Colours and sharpness are just that much better on my JVC . My theatre just got its first 3D screen shortly before the first movie opened. We sold out the 3D show all the way into March. Where it had to give up the 3D screen to Alice in Wonderland, up to that point, we still had people lining up 45minutes before the movie started to try and get a good seat. 

3 hours ago, Dre801 said:

I've never watched the original from start to finish.  I've only seen bits and pieces of it.

I didn’t see it until maybe 2 years ago myself. I could of watched it for free when I was working at the theatre, but didn’t. I bought the Blu-ray and extended cut Blu-ray but didn’t watch. I had bought myself a 3D projector and wanted to watch it the first time in 3D. So time went by before I found a cheap 3D copy after Pioneer or Panasonic lost the exclusive rights to the 3D disc that went with their 3D players. It was ok but a slightly grown up version of FernGully without a Robin Williams weird bat comedy relief

21 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I actually think Avatar had the only justified use of 3D ever so I'm fine with that.

It really didn't though. My defining memory of Avatar is me and the two friends I was seeing it with bitching about the movie while we were still watching the movie.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

It really didn't though. My defining memory of Avatar is me and the two friends I was seeing it with bitching about the movie while we were still watching the movie.

Yeah it did. It really brought the world to life IMO. You could really feel the depth of field in every scene and shot in that movie. They definitely storyboarded it with 3D in mind like no other 3D movie did.

For some reason I stubbornly refused to see Avatar in the theater. Didn’t see it until it was out on Blu Ray, and I through the it was a perfectly fine movie. 

As far as 3D goes, I usually dislike it, but I have really fond memories of watching Gravity in IMAX 3D. That was an incredible experience. 

• 4 weeks later...

“I play a water person,” she told THR. “I am a water person.”

I can't predict how good the movie will be, but there's no way I don't see the result of insanity like this.

From this older Polygon article, I gather that scuba/snuba would have been a problem because the bubbles reflect light and essentially break the motion capture. I'm still shocked that forcing all your actors to hold their breath was a better solution than figuring out a breathing apparatus that captures the bubbles.

31 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

“I play a water person,” she told THR. “I am a water person.”

I can't predict how good the movie will be, but there's no way I don't see the result of insanity like this.

From this older Polygon article, I gather that scuba/snuba would have been a problem because the bubbles reflect light and essentially break the motion capture. I'm still shocked that forcing all your actors to hold their breath was a better solution than figuring out a breathing apparatus that captures the bubbles.

In theory, something like a rebreather would prevent the bubble problem.

However, I thought they were doing facial motion capture underwater -- not sure you can do that with a huge tube sticking out of your mouth.