Aaron Sorkin's The Trial of the Chicago 7 - On Netflix October 16th

TheLeon

• 4 weeks later...

Fuck Aaron Sorkin and his lib-washing of radical politics. Listen to The Dollop on Abbie Hoffman instead:

9f27657af86c0f796164eca0c1d3ed8b9ddddee8
ART19.COM

Comedians Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds examine activist Abbie Hoffman Sources Tour Dates Redbubble Merch

9f27657af86c0f796164eca0c1d3ed8b9ddddee8
ART19.COM

Comedians Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds examine Abbie Hoffman and the trial of the Chicago 7 Sources Tour Dates Redbubble Merch

• Guillotine 1

I thought it was fine, but not great.

I understand the difficulty in dealing with so many characters, but I don't think Sorkin did a great job. I especially think he whiffed on the emotional climaxes. 

Spoiler

There was a whole sequence about who would get on the stand, which really didn't feel sufficiently setup as such a pivotal moment, but suddenly became one after it seemed long true the trial was lost. Then you fade to black on Abbie's zinger?

I also kind of wish we had some outside context here. The whole trailer is overlaid with "the whole world is watching," but we didn't really get a sense of how anything was playing outside the courtroom. This whole trial was about protesting the war, and while there was some throw away line about how the defendants make the war more unpopular, far as I can tell it certainly didn't hurt Nixon' approval ratings, or how people thought he was handling the war.