• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $840 (as of 06 February)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
madmankevin

~~D1P's All Time Game Completion Thread - list 'em - rate 'em - discuss 'em!~~

617 posts in this topic

Naruto-Shippuden-Ultimate-Ninja-STORM-Generations.jpg

8/10

Had a great time with this game surprisingly, and it definitely changed my mind about judging licensed-anime titles. The most stunning thing about this game is the visuals: they're absolutely gorgeous, and impeccably capture everything about the anime, and anime fighting, down to a T. This is one of those games that I think, even if you were just watching someone play, would be thrilled.

Gameplay is fortunately solid too though, and alike the visuals the actual controls match that of the aesthetics. Zooming around, dodging while throwing kunai, and performing crazy combos are all very fluent and very accessible, and makes for a terrific, simple experience. Everything that is happening is way more complex than your button-presisng, but no less it still feels natural and alligned with the controls. There's more than 20 characters to pick from and everyone is distinctly unique from one another, and most importantly strive to match their actual manga/anime originals as best they can, which definitely succeeds.

Really had a fun time with it, and there's a little more than 20 hours worth of gameplay here, but definitely more for those who seek higher difficulties/100%. The story mode is unfortunately a bit short though, and it definitely falls short of capturing the mythos of what makes this series so great--- but that's sort of expected, seeing as the series is more than 500 episodes at this point. Also, while there is a lot to do, much of it is just the same thing over and over. In particular is the survival mode, which comprises the majority of the post-game achievment. It's just battle after battle without any serious benefit to performing it, and as about 13 of the games total hours comes from this it really isn't much of anything other than something for you to occasionally come back to and complete every now and then.

Still, had a very fun time with it, and definitely intend to check out another of the Naruto titles following.

I'm about halfway through Crysis 3. The game is so pretty. So pretty that I have to take a break and can only play in short bursts because it's just so visually overwhelming. Haha. That's really the only compliment I can give the game, though. It amazes me how they are trying so hard at everything like story, voice acting, and world building with a result that just seems so phoned in. Talk about meh.

In-progress score: 4/10

20131126191136!Ys_Celceta_Box.png

9/10

Epic action-rpg that nails just about everything right. Essentially the entire game plays off statistics, and so if you're an RPG fan there's something to gush over and maximize upon every step of the way (and across multiple playthroughs too). Huge diversity to the 6 playable characters, and the overall world you explore is both vast and widely eclectic between areas.

Negatives go solely to the graphics being more of an upscaled PSP title rather than what Vita can do, and that the story really isn't much to write home about (which I think counts as a negative here, seeing as this is an RPG).

But outside of that the game is excellent all around. The core game is lengthy and solidly incremental in difficulty/variety, and unsurprising to the Ys series is that it's 80% raw gameplay, never getting too bogged down with dialogue/plot. There's just so much to do, and whether you're a completionist or into trophies the game constantly keeps you occupied and inspired to track down and finalize any one of several elements that comprise the world and towns.

Really a great game, and undoubtedly a standout title for the Vita.

Contrast 6/10

It was an okay game i guess. I just expected more..(I even find it boring at some point)

Resogun 9/10

This game is so awesome! I just want more stages.

I played a couple while I was away:

- Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 1 - damn they're going to put this little girl through some hell. :( I blasted through Season 1 after they were all released so I'm excited to play Season 2 as the episodes release. 4 dead bodies out of 5

- Ducktales Remastered - there are so many games that I loved on the NES but were fundamentally bad games and were I to play them now, they probably wouldn't hold up to my memories. So I was surprised to see that not only was this game really fun, it was really fun while still honoring the original. And it looks James Franco sooooo good redrawn. 4 pogos out of 5

- Uncharted 3 - I really don't get the hate for this game. But idiots like to hate anything that's well made and popular. I think this game's biggest fault is that it released after Uncharted 2, which is a top ten, if not top five, game of this generation for me. 4 and a half internet haters out of 5

- Sleeping Dogs - It only took MS six months to finally give out a great game with Xbox Live Plus and I'm glad they're finally delivering! I have some minor gripes with this game, but it's just so damned fun, and it surprised me with a really interesting story. This is the first open world game where I'd rather drop my gun and beat somebody up the ol' fashioned way. 4 bowls of noodles out of 5

- DMC - The goofy story allowed for a really cool setting between the real world, and the limbo world. It's Devil May Cry, and it's fun, but it makes me laugh at the internet whiners over the whole "emo Dante" thing because I like the reboot. But it's not amazing, and having played a much better action game recently (my GOTY for 2013, MGR), this just falls short. It may not be fair to compare, but compare I do nonetheless. 3 overreacting internet babies out of 5

CoD:Ghosts

5 nodicks / 10

The campaign was so jumbled up I had no idea what was going on and why I was there. They literally took every possible environment and made a 20 minute mission in it. From underwater to space back to back, it was just way too much to follow.

I finished Saints Row 4 last night. Did most of the extra activities, too.

I give it a 9/10. I don't know when the last time was I just had so much plain old fun with a game. The super powers made it awesome.

velocity-ultra-psvitajpg-e92f99_160w.jpg

5/5

Great little game that is wholly accessible to those unfamiliar with scrolling shooters, but also packs some serious challenge for completionists. Mostly it relies on only four or five game mechanics that are little more than a button press, but the way they're demanded use between and together with one another amounts to inspiring level design and rewarding success.

There's also lots of collectibles that actually reward you (!). Finding secret areas and bonus medals amounts to unlocking new additional zones that are hasty, unique takes on the core game. There are also odd mini-games from some of the bonus medals that play on classic titles like Space Invaders also, and it's pretty great.

For a less than $10 title rooted in classic, simplistic design, I really couldn't ask for anything more from Velocity Ultra. It's a great game, and shouldn't be missed.

~~*THE TWO MOST RECENT GAMES I COMPLETED IN 2014*~~

~*THE POST*~

Two similar games, two games I wish were harder.

Thomas Was Alone - fun little mild puzzler platformer that really doesn't push what it sets up. The characters are all shapes, and each shape has different abilities and moves differently. Once they give you all the tools in the toolbox, they kind of get lazy with the design. They set the blueprints down to really make your mind bend, but they just dabble their toes in the pool of complexity and kind of go on auto pilot and the later levels which should be more difficult are actually easier. I liked it, but wanted it to be harder and I felt they either got lazy with the design of the later levels, ran out of time, stopped caring, or a combination of these aspects. 3.5/5

Brothers - level design and character interaction are the stars here. My favorite moments are when you had puzzles to solve or enemies to take out or avoid. And one level really sticks out as both amazing and mysterious. I wish I knew what happened there! Sure the game was short, but I liked what was there, I just wish there would have been more thinking elements to the final product. Still really enjoyed it. 4/5

I just finished the Walking Dead on the vita and Knack on ps4.

TWD: 8.5/10 can we really call this a game? I consider it more an interactive comic.

Knack: 7/10. Not great but a good platformer. Took me back to the Crash Bandicoot days.

Edit: Oh I forgot I finished Ryse 8/10. Looking forward to the next game.

Kane and Lynch - 6

The story starts good but then goes elsewhere toward the end. The gameplay though sucks as it's buggy and not solid. The story is truly the most compelling piece of this game that will more than likely keep people hook but the gameplay needs some help but it's passable for a weekend rental. I bought for $7 during a Xbox Live sale.

Kane and Lynch - 6

The story starts good but then goes elsewhere toward the end. The gameplay though sucks as it's buggy and not solid. The story is truly the most compelling piece of this game that will more than likely keep people hook but the gameplay needs some help but it's passable for a weekend rental. I bought for $7 during a Xbox Live sale.

I've been meaning to play that. I've only played K&L2, but I friggin' loved K&L2. It's a bit misleading, it not really being a TPS but more like an arcade game (albeit in TPS form), but that's also exactly what I loved about it. Brief, constantly shooting levels, with some couple odd moments and set-pieces here and there. Really simple, and really fun.

Was the first one like that at all?

Kane and Lynch 2 - 6.5

This mixed bag. It's a whole helleva more polished than the first game and the arcade mode gives it replayability but it's as if they said we aren't going to tell as deep of a story this time around. I think the first game did a better job with the level variety and scenery but this K&L2 is just a much more polished product in terms of graphics and actual gameplay. The first game could have been a much better product with a little more TLC but one can see both of these games were rushed. On the other hand, I truly WISHES I could have played this game when the multiplayer had some life cause I could see it being really fun. It's short game and if you are just looking to shoot things up, this is good weekend rental for it. Again, I got this for $3 brand new at Mejeirs so I definitely got my three bucks worth.

@ - Yes to answer your question but the story is so much stronger in the first game and their funny dysfunctional bickering comes more frequently in the first game especially Lynch. He was so out of control in the first one, LOL! If you try to play the first one, it may be hard to play due to how much better the actual gunplay and just overall control is so much more polished in the sequel. When they talk about Kane's daughter, it's all explained in the first game. The first game is like Kane's story whereas I felt this game was dedicated to Lynch.

BioShock Infinite -

I admit that this gen I've been extremely quick to run by stuff and not taking time to "smell the roses" so to speak. Worlds in games are so well designed and I'm guilty of always running past everything while not paying attention to the careful work that is right in front of me. BioShock Infinite stopped me at least a dozen times so I can just take in the world, read clippings on walls, or listening to the music. The flying barber shop quartet singing 'God Only Knows' has to be one of the coolest gaming moments for me this gen.

After smelling all the roses, there was a pretty damned good game here. I wasn't the biggest fan of the original BioShock. Not that there was anything wrong with it, I just didn't find it as amazing as everybody else. This game was different. I really enjoyed it throughout, and it had a very interesting story too...

First of all, seeing the word "Infinite" for so long and so often, I never really thought there would be any meaning to it. Pretty cool that the "twist" was in the title all along. And I think I was able to wrap my head around the story for the most part. Comstock was actually Booker from another universe right? So he basically paid himself for a kid... from himself. And he wasn't able to have kids himself why? That's the only bit I don't get. Maybe he got his tallywhacker caught in a tear?!

:lol: Then the Lutece twins set him up to take himself out of a downward spiral to retrive his kid. Here I don't understand their motive for doing that. If anybody has any thoughts there, I'd gladly hear them!

I'd give the game a 4.5/5. Really great all around, but not quite a 5 for reasons!

Rain_Logo_Promo.jpg

3/5

Rain is weird--- I feel like this game had a really good idea of what is aiming for gameplay-wise, but the rest of the experience fails to match it.

It's an ultra simple platformer, basically. It's very hard to lose, and if you do lose the solution is going to be immediately apparent following your immediate, no-punishment reboot. Rain is designed to be experienced, with the gameplay being fluent and enjoyable but ultimately there for the sake of immersion rather than content, except what that "experience" is fails to deliver on the meaningful level it is so determined to meet.

It's extremely hard to explain. Rain is gorgeous, and the melancholy world you run around in is delightfully depressing and filled with befitting tunes as well. That said, Rain is so fluent to the point of creating negligence of the surrounding world. Often you'll just be storming through this delightful little game and suddenly think, Shit, what have I been missing? So you stop and look at the world and listen to the rain and music and start to get into the atmosphere the game wants you to be in--- but then you're right back into storming through and not giving much shit about what the intent of the game is, but rather that you're playing.

And that's really the issue. Playing Rain is fun and it all works well, but it's so simple that you don't really feel any sense of achievement at all. You just, again, start to storm through, and it's not silly Kid game rushing fun and nor is it Kicking Ass rushing fun--- you just rush because it's all so connected and obvious and without any challenge, and ultimately this extreme simplicity absolutely crushes what the entire game is about.

The gamer isn't to be blamed for playing the game, though. I've played several games where I had no issue being pensive and creative within the context of a game several times. Obviously Journey, but several Zelda games and the PS2 Final Fantasy games also. But with Rain there never comes a point that my own creativity, or patience, is really allowed: everything is just so connected and obvious that ultimately you are just going to tear through, and while you'll occassionally remember to play Artsy and be a patient and take in everything, the game's expression is swiftly lost immediately after as you go through the motions of climbing and pushing and running down long and dreary ramps.

I don't know. I really don't. Rain is an excellent game, but its artistic aspirations, and their failure to impact as they're intended, really crushes the experience to what is a fun and simple platformer, but little more.

Brothers: a tale of two sons - 8/10

Really cool game. I wish it were longer. Everyone needs to give this game a shot!

250px-Thomas_was_alone_cover.png

2/5

TWA is a solid game, but it's also an extremely limited one also. Taking at most a little more than 3 hours to 100%, there really isn't that much game to be had here.

This game is similar to games like Rain and Journey: there isn't any difficulty, and instead of challenge the game is designed to be "experienced." The issue though is that the minimalism of TWA doesn't convey anything as it's nothing more than static colors and static shapes. While there's a narrator that opens up each level, with the writing being witty and enjoyable, it doesn't create the emotional scope that (I think?) TWA is aiming for, but instead is just passive and witty, sort-of like TWA in its entirety.

Everything works, and there's good variety to the platforming--- except there's genuinely no challenge, and in a lot of ways I can't help but wonder why they even went to the trouble to make variety in the first place. Outside of expressing the game's characters, what the change in gameplay amounts to is a child's palette of extremely simple puzzle-platforming design. And while having an easy game is alright, there never came a point in TWA beyond the beginning levels where I thought I'd progressed or learned anything: it's just basic and obvious puzzles throughout the entire game.

And by 100% completion I mean, outside of beating the game, collecting the collectibles. There's two per zone (each zone comprised of 10 levels), but they're very easy to see, and exist right out in the open. They have as much challenge to them as the platforming: none.

It's an odd title. TWA works, but in the end I don't really know what I paid for beside a few hours distraction that left me with neither a sense of accomplishment nor emotional experience (which I'm listing only because I think TWA is aiming to do that--- which it absolutely did not for me). For the price it costs in the Curve Bundle, which is a rounded $3 and change, I don't think it's the worst few dollars you'll ever spend--- but I wouldn't put them as anymore meaningfully spent than on your favorite candy bar from the checkout lane. Enjoyable, but limited and ultimately forgotten.

The Last Of Us - 2/5

I'd rate it 4/5 if I saw this at the local Cineplex movie theater. But as a game, this title just does not work at all. Oh boo hoo, it's the apocalypse, oh boo hoo, Ellie doesn't have a father figure. WHO CARES? I rolled my eyes throughout nearly the entire "game". And you can barely call it a game, as it's mostly a series of cutscenes interspersed with occasional "enemy encounters". Thankfully, the game's only saving grace is the competitive multiplayer.

250px-Thomas_was_alone_cover.png

2/5

TWA is a solid game, but it's also an extremely limited one also. Taking at most a little more than 3 hours to 100%, there really isn't that much game to be had here.

This game is similar to games like Rain and Journey: there isn't any difficulty, and instead of challenge the game is designed to be "experienced." The issue though is that the minimalism of TWA doesn't convey anything as it's nothing more than static colors and static shapes. While there's a narrator that opens up each level, with the writing being witty and enjoyable, it doesn't create the emotional scope that (I think?) TWA is aiming for, but instead is just passive and witty, sort-of like TWA in its entirety.

Everything works, and there's good variety to the platforming--- except there's genuinely no challenge, and in a lot of ways I can't help but wonder why they even went to the trouble to make variety in the first place. Outside of expressing the game's characters, what the change in gameplay amounts to is a child's palette of extremely simple puzzle-platforming design. And while having an easy game is alright, there never came a point in TWA beyond the beginning levels where I thought I'd progressed or learned anything: it's just basic and obvious puzzles throughout the entire game.

And by 100% completion I mean, outside of beating the game, collecting the collectibles. There's two per zone (each zone comprised of 10 levels), but they're very easy to see, and exist right out in the open. They have as much challenge to them as the platforming: none.

It's an odd title. TWA works, but in the end I don't really know what I paid for beside a few hours distraction that left me with neither a sense of accomplishment nor emotional experience (which I'm listing only because I think TWA is aiming to do that--- which it absolutely did not for me). For the price it costs in the Curve Bundle, which is a rounded $3 and change, I don't think it's the worst few dollars you'll ever spend--- but I wouldn't put them as anymore meaningfully spent than on your favorite candy bar from the checkout lane. Enjoyable, but limited and ultimately forgotten.

I gave my thoughts about TWA on the previous page, and I think I should have waited a bit before giving it a score. My biggest problem was that it set in motion really complex puzzles but they didn't offer any. The learning curve stopped at about chapter 3. Why?! You keep getting more shapes, with various different attributes, which should have set up very complex puzzles. But it seemed like the level design kind of dropped off halfway through the game.

After some time thinking about it, I'd probably give it a score closer to yours. The ground work was laid out for some complex head-scratching puzzles but that never really happened as the last half of the game seemed phoned in as far as level design goes.