madmankevin

~~D1P's All Time Game Completion Thread - list 'em - rate 'em - discuss 'em!~~

Ru Long    26

Assassin's Creed, 7/10. A very solid game, but the story just went nowhere for 15 hours and only picked up in the last 5 minutes. The gameplay has the fundamentals, but everything tying together what you're doing is thin at best.

State of Decay, a provisional 5/10. Game is buggy and has dumb mechanics. The game is built around being less about one character but rather your community, but then throws tons of "you" elements to the game (influence is not dependent on the charater...apparently if Marcus goes and brings back a large haul, everyone will listen to Maya more). There's so much potential with this game, but outside of getting a good concept, they managed to fuck everything else up in one way or another. Oh yeah, it's amazing that my community has the capability to die while I'm gone yet cannot improve their skills without me taking control of them. :silly:

skillzdadirecta    1,785

Dead Space 3-7/10

I love the series but seriously, somebody improved it into a failure. i thought the first two games struck the right balance between being atmospheric and scary and action packed. This one throws any notion of being scary out the window and decides it wants to be a Gears of War clone. The problem is too many of the survival horror elements remain. You often find yourself in situations where you don't have enough ammo to deal with the INSANE AMOUNT of enemies the game thinks you should be fighting ( which gets to the point of being ridiculous in some areas. Imagine a horde mode in the middle of a single player game) and some enemies take WAAAAY too many shots to kill, whether you're dismembering them or not. Also the game just wears out its welcome. I thought I was near the end around level 12… seven levels later and I was literally cursing at the screen When will this fucking end?! Throw in some superflous and tedious backtracking and you end up scratching your head wondering why the development team made some of the decisions they made. Seriously the really fucked up the franchise with this one. It started out being in my top five for the year but its definitely not. The weapon crafting and resource stuff is cool… but overall the game just feels like it was power pointed into oblivion. Too bad.

Dead Space 3-7/10

I love the series but seriously, somebody improved it into a failure. i thought the first two games struck the right balance between being atmospheric and scary and action packed. This one throws any notion of being scary out the window and decides it wants to be a Gears of War clone. The problem is too many of the survival horror elements remain. You often find yourself in situations where you don't have enough ammo to deal with the INSANE AMOUNT of enemies the game thinks you should be fighting ( which gets to the point of being ridiculous in some areas. Imagine a horde mode in the middle of a single player game) and some enemies take WAAAAY too many shots to kill, whether you're dismembering them or not. Also the game just wears out its welcome. I thought I was near the end around level 12… seven levels later and I was literally cursing at the screen When will this fucking end?! Throw in some superflous and tedious backtracking and you end up scratching your head wondering why the development team made some of the decisions they made. Seriously the really fucked up the franchise with this one. It started out being in my top five for the year but its definitely not. The weapon crafting and resource stuff is cool… but overall the game just feels like it was power pointed into oblivion. Too bad.

Not to mention the ending was just pathetic. I played it co-op start to finish and we had a good enough time doing it, but playing solo was boring and tedious. Taking a good series in the wrong direction.

skillzdadirecta    1,785

Not to mention the ending was just pathetic. I played it co-op start to finish and we had a good enough time doing it, but playing solo was boring and tedious. Taking a good series in the wrong direction.

Holy shit was it! Glad to see it wasn't just me. Shame they ruined such a great franchise in 3 games.

gamer.tv    994

Wind Waker (not the HD one). I played and finishing it back in 2007 and remember loving it so after wanting to play something but only having my Wii I thought I'd pop it in. Just up to the 3rd pearl and it's such a great game. Graphically it still looks great, the sailing does take forever but I tend to just point the boat in the right direction and browse the internet and the combat is the best of any Zelda game I've played. Solid 9/10 game

I'm not sure if I'm going to actually finish it and I'm really tempted to play Metroid Prime since that's also lying around and I'm pretty sure I'm a room away from that big plant boss.

skillzdadirecta    1,785

Credits Rolling on The Last of Us as I type this… A FUCKIN' 10. I always thought the Uncharted games were a TAD overrated and suffered from pacing problems from a narrative standpoint. Not this game. Perfectly paced, perfectly written, perfectly performed, Kojima and Gage have a lot to learn from Naughty Dog in how to make a game that's cinematic with engaing three dimensional characters yet still fun to play. I did NOT think this game would knock GTAV out of my number one spot for the year. Am I glad to be wrong. Bravo.

Nightpain    110

God_of_War_Origins_Collection_box_art.jpg

I genuinely enjoyed CoO almost on all fronts. It definitely represents the PSP minimal build, but that's why it's so much fun. Very brief and concise GoW adventure that doesn't overstay its welcome and doesn't stuff murder down your throat every chance it gets. I think I like CoO more than GoW3, to be honest: it's just small and simple, but because of that is a really fluent, fun-filled time.

Ghost of Sparta, on the other hand--- bleh. Same issue I have with the series as a whole: there's a big emphasis on character, except Kratos is one of the worst anti-heroes ever and so it doesn't do the game any favors except make me yawn and wish I had a different action-game to play. I guess there are people out there who think the clenched-jaw, thoroughly stupid and blatantly murderous Kratos is a cool character, but I'm definitely not one of them. While the gameplay is just as slick as always, GoS definitely shoves story around far more than it should, and in the end I left the game less pleased than I'd have been if it had just shut the hell up for a little while.

Far as HD remaster goes--- I dunno. Games looked fine when I played them on PSP and they look fine still with the HD remaster.

EDIT; For those that are into it, as with all GoW games the origins collection titles are also super easy Platinum trophies. Each took me I think between 5-6 hours to platinum, and so if you're into that they're not the worst games to sit down with for a weekend trophy hunt.

Phaseknox    77
Kratos is one of the worst anti-heroes ever and so it doesn't do the game any favors except make me yawn and wish I had a different action-game to play. I guess there are people out there who think the clenched-jaw, thoroughly stupid and blatantly murderous Kratos is a cool character, but I'm definitely not one of them.

I agree. I really dislike Kratos, and while I enjoyed God of War and God of War II I couldn't take any more Kratos after those two games. I played a little God of War III and Kratos annoyed me as usual, and the game just seemed like more of the same with prettier graphics. So I stopped playing it, and I've been done with the series since.

skillzdadirecta    1,785

just beat Saints Row 4. Definitely my favorite of the Saints Games. Super powers add to the game making it The Matrix game you always wanted but never got. There's also a surpsing amount of character developement that encourages you to talk to your crew and bring out different combinations on missions. All of the sci-fi and videogame references never got old and there's ONE shout out and cameo that COMPLETELY won me over. Such a throwback to 80's action movies and video games, you can tell this was a labor of love. There's a couple of instances of sloppy game design towards the end but the game is good and defin itely a worthy addition to the Saints Row series. Be interesting to see where they go from here or do they do a total reboot for next gen consoles. I'm in favor of starting over to be honest and rebooting.

Nightpain    110

okami_hd_thumb.jpg

9/10

Only thing I have against this game is the fact that the brushing doesn't work quite a lot of times. And to be honest, I would have totally ignored this complaint if it wasn't for that single side-mission where you have to draw the little girl's design on the kimonos. It took me upwards of 20 tries on each of the 5 designs to get it to work--- and boy did that piss me off :angry:

But otherwise: well, it's Okami and it's awesome, which you probably already know. I had a good time with this HD, and used trophies as a rationale to do the 100%. Getting all of the fish and stray beads was pretty cool, and to be honest I totally never even knew about the optional Kusa 5 battle until this (and I've played this game twice already before).

Great, timeless game as always.

Finished Ryse last night a solid 8/10 for me.

The game was actually a lot of fun, and I went in a skeptic due to all the talk around here of the game being really short and nothing but a tech demo. During the first act I was in awe at the graphics and the level of detail for characters, facial emotion, and voice acting. A true cinematic experience that my lady sat and watched me play for most of the game. We would both oooh and aaah during the executions because they were so damn brutal and you can see the pain in your enemy when you stab them. The combat is pretty shallow and it can feel repetitive when you get swarmed, but the executions are so satisfying I didn't mind seeing them over and over :P For a beautiful cinematic action game with a good story and high production value, I'd recommend at least a rental. I'd only buy this for $30 or less unless you have friends that really want to get into the co-op with.

I think I put in a good 6 hours into the campaign on easy difficulty.

hiawa23    118

While I haven't played it, I still find it very hard to believe that it deserves a 4 out of 10. That's worse than Haze, and I highly doubt that it's worse than Haze.

I haven't played it either, but there is noway the game is a 4/10. Hell, from what I hear, the uber graphics are atleast an 8 by themselves.

Nightpain    110

PG_Vanquish_box_artwork.png

8/10

My only jibes with this title is that the campaign is a bit short for its own good, and that there are no unlockables. The game has story-additions inside of the loading screens, but the loading screens are way too fast for you to read them. And yet, despite the game apparently wanting to tell a story, there's no where in the menus to allow you to read those segments. Plus, there are a ton of collectibles in the game that were a serious pain to collect, but in the end the only thing it unlocked was a trophy--- which is the absolute lamest benefit ever for collectible gathering.

But everything else is awesome. Vanquish makes up for its brevity by having six additional "Challenges" that are truly hardcore as it gets. This is the first title I'm rating that I don't have the platinum for, and that's because the 6th challenge is insanely hard. Still though, I admire them doing that, and look forward to popping this title in every now and then over the months/years and giving that 6th challenge another set of whirls.

Really loved this game, but it definitely cuts some corners where it really should not have.

Hurdyb1    900

New Super Mario Bros 2 - 4 out 5

It was fun and charming. My only gripe is that it was too easy and too challenging. I don't know if that was by design or I am just that good as a gamer. Very very fun though. truly gave me a much needed refresher for 2D platformers.