• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $740 (as of 07 January)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • Jason

Missing icons.   12/27/2016

Unfortunately, we lost a bunch of user icons due to the data loss a few days ago—but we didn't intentionally remove any so if yours is gone please feel free to just set it back.   -Jason
madmankevin

~~D1P's All Time Game Completion Thread - list 'em - rate 'em - discuss 'em!~~

616 posts in this topic

Transformers Devastation

Such a fun game. FUN!!!! Even more fun if you are a fan that grew up with the 80s cartoon. Seemed like playing a live action episode in motion. The fighting, combos with transformations, the graphics, the fact that the voice actors of the G1 cartoon were brought back (except for Starscream's, RIP), and the overall polish for one great product. The pace is great and the boss fights are awesome. Just the fighting in general is great. Game is SWEET! I wish there was more Transformers to use but it was probably  wise to limit it so that each character felt unique and got some significant time in the game along with proper development attention. 

8.5/10

Walking Dead: Episode 2.  It was fucked up and made me feel bad about things I did.  All in all, very good indeed.  I've got Season 1 and it's great fun to dip in and out of as the game itself is very easy but ultimately engaging.  I don't know how if I'll ever get Season 2, but it's nice as a distraction either way.  Plus, it's always good to make use of the PS3 from time to time.

17 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Walking Dead: Episode 2.  It was fucked up and made me feel bad about things I did.  All in all, very good indeed.  I've got Season 1 and it's great fun to dip in and out of as the game itself is very easy but ultimately engaging.  I don't know how if I'll ever get Season 2, but it's nice as a distraction either way.  Plus, it's always good to make use of the PS3 from time to time.

I still think that the Walking Dead season 1 is the BEST Telltale game experience I have ever had of their titles. Nothing as come close to that one game and what it makes you feel emotionally with your decisions. 

Transformers Devastation: 7/10.  The game picked up a lot but I felt that it would have benefited a lot from a more interesting environment, more in depth levels and probably more diversity.  Smashing shit up is great fun with the odd turret section, but for a game where you're a robot that can become a vehicle, I felt it could have done an awful lot more with this in mind. 

Either way, well worth the price of admission (being free). 

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin - 9/10

Dark Souls 2 was a very fun game that had great DLC and a fun base game. Now, to those who played Bloodborne, the bosses, level design and art direction are not as good in Dark Souls 2. There was one area, Blood Gulch, that was one line from the bonfire to the boss, and a couple secret paths on the side. Some areas, like Forest of the Fallen Giant, were a bit more complex, but I remember some areas having very straight-forward paths. The Belfry areas are a great example of the straight-forwardness of many of the areas, as is Heide's Tower of Flame. Though I have to admit, dropping into that hole by the mansion in Majura and finding out what the hell was down there was a lot of fun. 

The DLC's areas are more interesting, imo, both in how they look and exploring them. The shortcuts, the paths wrapping back to the beginning, the areas just out of sight that you knew you could get to but didn't know how, they were all there. There was also a difficulty spike with the first DLC that I didn't encounter in the second and third, which I thought was funny after reading how many people put the first DLC (Sunken King) as the easiest of them. But if the level design seemed lacking overall, the DLC makes up for it, especially since there are three areas.

Though there are way more pieces of armor and weapons than Bloodborne, including Bloodborne's DLC stuff, I didn't find many of them to be all that different. There were a ton of generic swords, there was a Large Club that was irrelevant once you got the Great Club, which I felt was irrelevant once you got the Demon's Great Hammer if you just wanted an enemy to bludgeon enemies. It was different from Bloodborne where I thought many of the weapons could be used at any point during the game and all had their unique uses and perks, so you weren't really getting new weapons as a replacement because they were more powerful but more because of what the weapon offered. In DS2, there were late-game weapons which I think have more potential, but I think the variety comes more from if you want to use a bow, melee or spells. And there lies the variety I didn't explore in one playthrough which I'm sure I can in another. Or maybe I'll go for spells in DS3.

It almost sounds like I'm down on the game, but I'm not: I came in expecting it to be not as good as Bloodborne -- which is fine since that's my game of the generation along with MGSV, Resogun and Uncharted 4, and on another replay, I might even bump Ratchet & Clank up -- and for it to play a bit slower, but also to have a very good time, and I had a great time! The things I liked most about the base game are:

1) The secrets. The Pharros Lockstones, the Fragrant Branches of Yore, and all the illusory walls led to some really cool items.

2) The multiplayer. I dug having four allies and NPCs for some of the areas/boss fights. There's a specific boss fight in the Iron King where you can have seven allies, for a total of 8 people vs. the boss, which consists of a lot of enemies. It was one of my favorite boss fights for that reason alone.

This is definitely worth a play, and there's a lot to do in this. Since I hear 3 is a better game, I'm glad I played 2 first to appreciate what it had to offer.

2016 games

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 9.5/10
The Witness - 9/10
The Order: 1886 - 8/10
Life Is Strange - 9/10
Amplitude - 8/10
Nom Nom Galaxy - 8.5/10
Gravity Rush Remastered - 8.5/10
Broforce - 7/10
Bloodborne x2 - 10/10
Dragon Quest: Heroes - 6/10
Ratchet & Clank x2 - 9.5/10

Alienation x3 - 9/10

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End x2 - 10/10

Ratchet & Clank - 9.5/10

Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando - 7/10

Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal - 9.5/10

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - 9/10

Ratchet & Clank Future: Crack in Time - 9/10

Gone Home - 7.5/10

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 10/10

Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell - Couldn't finish/10

Street Fighter V - 9.5/10

Doom - 9/10

Zombi - 8.5/10

Broken Age - 8/10

Day of the Tentacle - 8.5/10

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - 8/10, parts of it were visually stunning and the soundtrack and way the story was told were equally fantastic.  For the style of game, it lasted maybe an hour too long which meant I sighed at one point when I had to plod along.  It was well worth the price of admission however.

13 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - 8/10, parts of it were visually stunning and the soundtrack and way the story was told were equally fantastic.  For the style of game, it lasted maybe an hour too long which meant I sighed at one point when I had to plod along.  It was well worth the price of admission however.

I quote enjoyed that neighborhood! I need to go back and complete each area since I completed about two or three and then got to the end.

The Last Guardian - Beat the game last night, what a treat this one is! I thought I recall Shuhei saying that it was basically cancelled at one point but fan demand didn't allow them to announce it or continue with their plans. It really feels like a gift thinking about that.

The game has its flaws. Being okay with the flaws in ICO/Shadow prepared my expectations for this game. Controls are sluggish at times, camera is shit (oh how I wish you could just go into first person a lot of the time), the frame rate gets really rough in parts, and that blink/reset thing the game does is nauseating. Why haven't I heard anybody else talk about that? DF, the few reviews I've gone through, nobody. It's bad. At times it appears to be a camera reset mechanism but it happens so frequently, even when the camera doesn't need help, that I can't help but feel that it's some sort of memory reset system. And as far as the controls go, there were two puzzles at the end where the sluggish nature of the controls were actually a detriment in ways that I haven't see in games before. Both times I knew right away what I needed to do, but when I tried it and it didn't work, I quit on that approach and ran around (for one of them I ran around for hours) only to realize that I was right with my first approach but something was a pixel off or something. Kind of frustrating in a game like this

Thankfully, this game's strengths kick the above negatives squarely in the testicles. This is easily my favorite of the three. With how little of the story that was told in ICO/Shadow, I'm really surprised with how fleshed out this one is, while still being told in a minimalist way. I love how the story is told here and I really love the fact that mostly everything is explained. I usually hate the "up for interpretation" way of telling stories, and considering the first two did that, I'm really glad this one didn't.

I have always been worried that there would be no way the two characters would be able to go through this world together. I always thought because of Trico's size, he'd be left alone while you run into a building or do something. Basically I was worried about the separation but for the most part, you two are connected through the whole story. It makes those moments where you are separated very intense and special.

Trico, holy shit. What a character he is. You really watch him grow throughout the game and it is really quite noticeable how much he learns through the journey. It might sound weird to make this comparison, but I thought of the interactions with Trico is a lot like John Connor and the Terminator in Terminator 2. That was a story of a boy and his time traveling robot, this is one of a boy and his birddogcatthing. The evolution of Trico is really quite noticeable, and the bond the two develop was really fun to be a part of. Knowing of and seeing this game for years, I really never thought of him as a walking platform either so I was pleasantly surprised on how he was used. And he poops! And you can carry his poop around! And he almost pooped on me one time! So awesome!

I did something I have never done in gaming before. Immediately after completing this game, I went to amazon and bought the collector's edition. I need more of The Last Guardian in my life! The game that made me buy a PS3 last gen was one worth waiting for. 5/5

Spoiler
  • 2016 Game Completion List
  • Tearaway Unfolded - 4/5
  • Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - 4/5
  • Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection - 4/5
  • Amplitude - 3/5
  • Taco Master - 3/5
  • Menage A Blops - 2/5
  • Firewatch - 3/5
  • Just Cause 3 - 4/5
  • Just Cause 3 Sky Fortress dlc - 3/5
  • Snoopy's Grand Adventure - 2/5
  • Catlateral Damage - 3/5
  • Ratchet and Clank - 5/5
  • Severed - 5/5
  • Table Top Racing: World Tour - 3/5
  • Uncharted 4 - 5/5
  • Just Cause 3 Mech Land Assault dlc - 1/5
  • Arcade Game Series: Galaga - 3/5
  • Arcade Game Series: Pac-Man - 3/5
  • Arcade Game Series: Ms Pac-Man - 3/5
  • Arcade Game Series: Dig-Dug - 3/5
  • Gone Home: 2/5
  • Song of the Deep (NA): 4/5
  • Song of the Deep (EU): 4/5
  • Pac-Man 256: 4/5
  • Ultratron: 3/5
  • Just Cause 3 Bavarium Sea Hesit: 4/5
  • Adventure Capitalis: 3/5
  • Adam's Venture Origins: 3/5
  • NERO: 2/5
  • Disney Infinity 3.0: 4/5
  • The Last Guardian: 5/5

Putting Firewatch into the list as well.

I really have to think about the ranking for The Last Guardian. There's a lot to soak in, and I've thought about the game a lot, especially the ending. There are some well-composed shots in some of these scenes that really rocked my emotionally.

2016 games

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 9.5/10
The Witness - 9/10
The Order: 1886 - 8/10
Life Is Strange - 9/10
Amplitude - 8/10
Nom Nom Galaxy - 8.5/10
Gravity Rush Remastered - 8.5/10
Broforce - 7/10
Bloodborne x2 - 10/10
Dragon Quest: Heroes - 6/10
Ratchet & Clank x2 - 9.5/10

Alienation x3 - 9/10

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End x2 - 10/10

Ratchet & Clank - 9.5/10

Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando - 7/10

Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal - 9.5/10

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - 9/10

Ratchet & Clank Future: Crack in Time - 9/10

Gone Home - 7.5/10

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 10/10

Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell - Couldn't finish/10

Street Fighter V - 9.5/10

Doom - 9/10

Zombi - 8.5/10

Broken Age - 8/10

Day of the Tentacle - 8.5/10

Ratchet & Clank replay - 9.5/10

Firewatch - 8/10

The Last Guardian - still thinking about the score

I missed a few in here, going to blast through the remaining 2016 games completed before I start anew with 2017!

Batman Arkham Asylum PS4 - what I can I say, I love this game! This is my 8th 100% console completion of this game, and after going through the XB1 version, I'll be at 9/9. But seeing as I'm only 8/9 completions, I'll give this an 8/9!

Batman Arkham VR - I love this! Great VR game. Short, sweet, but interesting in what's there. I could have used a little longer experience, but what's here is great. 4/5

Caladrius Blaze - Import friendly SHUMP. One of the better SHUMPs I've played actually. 4/5

Disney Infinity and Disney Infinity 2.0 - I love these fuckin' games. 4/5

VVVVVV - Fun platformer. 3/5

Tales From The Borderlands - This is one of the better (and funnier) TT games. I wish they would stray from the "interactive story" mechanics and actually give you some real decisions that truly affect the game you play. With that said, 4/5

My Name Is Mayo - I'm ashamed of myself. 1/5

Spoiler
  • 2016 Game Completion List
  • Tearaway Unfolded - 4/5
  • Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - 4/5
  • Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection - 4/5
  • Amplitude - 3/5
  • Taco Master - 3/5
  • Menage A Blops - 2/5
  • Firewatch - 3/5
  • Just Cause 3 - 4/5
  • Just Cause 3 Sky Fortress dlc - 3/5
  • Snoopy's Grand Adventure - 2/5
  • Catlateral Damage - 3/5
  • Ratchet and Clank - 5/5
  • Severed - 5/5
  • Table Top Racing: World Tour - 3/5
  • Uncharted 4 - 5/5
  • Just Cause 3 Mech Land Assault dlc - 1/5
  • Arcade Game Series: Galaga - 3/5
  • Arcade Game Series: Pac-Man - 3/5
  • Arcade Game Series: Ms Pac-Man - 3/5
  • Arcade Game Series: Dig-Dug - 3/5
  • Gone Home: 2/5
  • Song of the Deep (NA): 4/5
  • Song of the Deep (EU): 4/5
  • Pac-Man 256: 4/5
  • Ultratron: 3/5
  • Just Cause 3 Bavarium Sea Hesit: 4/5
  • Adventure Capitalis: 3/5
  • Adam's Venture Origins: 3/5
  • NERO: 2/5
  • Disney Infinity 3.0: 4/5
  • The Last Guardian: 5/5
  • Batman AA PS4: 8/9
  • Batman Arkham VR: 4/5
  • Caladrius Blaze: 4/5
  • Disney Infinity: 4/5
  • Disney Infinity 2.0: 4/5
  • VVVVVV: 3/5
  • Tales From The Borderlands: 4/5
  • My Name Is Mayo - 1/5
  • My Name Is Mayo - 1/5

40 games/dlc packs completed. Short year really...

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Couldn't finish/10

I'm seriously shocked. It started so fun, but the open-world actually hurt it because there weren't many well-constructed areas to fight as Uncharted 4 had. So it was filled with very bad quests. At one point, they told me to deliver something to another camp, so the quest was go to the camp and press Square by the materials, then run halfway across the map and press Square by some basket to put them in, and then run all the way back for your reward.

Um, what?

Story wasn't interesting either, and though the crafting and searching for money seemed fun at first, and finding some people for side missions, it just became repetitive. It really is a poor man's Uncharted. No crafting or any of that and yet UC 2 - 4 are far superior games because they embrace what they're good at. 

Titanfall 2 - 8.5/10 (single-player only)

Haven't delved into the multiplayer, but I went through the single-player, and it's very good! It FEELS good, first and foremost. It plays like butter (60fps even under extreme circumstances). The platforming feels so good, and the shooting, both on-foot and in the titan, feel great. Some great missions are in here, as well, and while the story was nothing to write home about, it was still a decent story! I'm very happy they put in a very fun and well put-together campaign as the first game having no such component was a big reason why I wouldn't have bought it even if it came to the PS4.

Infamous: First Light - 9/10

Wanted to play this again, and its a great stand-alone expansion. I'd say there's about 6 hours of content here with the story mode in Seattle and the arena. The arena, I have to say, is well put together. Very fun, everything clicks, and it was something I was NOT expecting to be so addictive when I first played this a couple years ago. But all the gameplay elements are put to good use, and there are a ton of enemy types in each of the arena modes.

And I think the story to this might actually be better than Second Son's story. Some great backstory for Fetch and makes her even more of a sympathetic character.

2017 games

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Couldn't finish/10

Titanfall 2 - 8.5/10 (single-player)

Infamous: First Light - 9/10