• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode D1Pcast Episode 28 - E3 2017 Rabbids Everywhere (Ft. SeVeN CDN and GuyWhoPostThings)   06/01/2017

E3 2017 has come and gone and now we are left with this empty feeling as we know we have to wait another 365 days for the next one. We [email protected] [email protected]@[email protected] I break down everything that was glorious (and not so glorious) at E3 2017. From EA's snoozefest to Microsoft's XOXO launch exclusivitiness to Devolver Digitals blood bath! So listen on in as we grade each conference and even have an extra special guest way in their thoughts on Ubisoft's conference in this months D1Pcast!      
madmankevin

~~D1P's All Time Game Completion Thread - list 'em - rate 'em - discuss 'em!~~

639 posts in this topic

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Where to begin? Despite my anticipation for this game, and Aliens being one of the best movies ever, I waited until this game was $5 on Steam because of how universally panned it was. For good reason, too. Horrible AI, inconsistent graphics, textures, and environments, along with a non-ending immediately downgrade a potential AAA title to B-list nothingness. Add Gearbox and whatever that dev was they hired to finish this turd to the list of devs that don't know that there is a difference between challenging and cheap. Frequent were my deaths due to sparse environments coupled with inaccurate weak weapons against all-but-invincible enemies. That's not "hard," it's practically cheating.

Something I did love was the visual connection with the film. Blue-filter and all. It's weird, though, how some areas are visually rich and well thought out, like the following

vWrgJnt.jpg

only to be followed by a bare empty room with a couple of crates

jA2I9xW.jpg

It's weirdly inconsistent. And why the hell did they not just do the cut scenes with the entire game's assets in the engine? Why do we have to look at these standard-def, ugly, hazy, grainy cinematics when inside the game itself looks so much better?

MdCrYkR.jpg

Gross.

Another odd thing: You can pick your loadout at any time in any place. Out of ammo? Just open up the in-game loadout menu and pick from a pretty great selection of weapons. Want to keep using that pulse rifle? Just switch back to it. You'll have ammo again for no reason.

Despite all the terribleness, there's a pretty good story in here somewhere. I liked finding the collectibles and the audio logs because they added some additional texture to the story I've enjoyed for the better part of my life. I liked it so much, that despite how truly awful this game is, I'm going to go back and try and find them all. The sound design was superior. I think a lot of care really went into it. I loved firing the pulse rifle. That elongated hiss punctuated by firecrackers never stops sounding awesome. I wish the game maintained the level of detail that is in some of the environments, because in the better ones I felt like I was inside of Hadley's Hope and inside Weyland Yutani facilities. They felt used and lived in. It really adds to the experience.

Unfortunately all the terrible elements are only lightly salted with the good ones, and it is all topped off by a non-ending that leaves you wanting more to the story while knowing you're never ever going to get it.

4/10

The following are the games that I completed this year (in the order that I completed them) as of this posting:

Obscure: The Aftermath - 7.5/10

Fallout 3 - 9/10

Mortal Kombat - 9/10

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - 8.5/10

Bionic Commando - 6.5/10

F.E.A.R. - 7.5/10

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - 8.5/10

Dragon Age: Origins - 8/10

Blue Dragon - 6.5/10

Two Worlds II - 7/10

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga - 9/10

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 9/10

Enchanted Arms - 7.5/10

Prey - 7/10

Tomb Raider - 9/10

State of Decay - 8.5/10

Far Cry 3 - 9/10

Red Faction: Guerrilla - 8/10

Grand Theft Auto V - 9.5/10

Resident Evil: Revelations - 8.5/10

Rogue Warrior - 4/10

Dark Void - 6/10

Mini Ninjas - 7/10

BioShock Infinite - 9/10

DmC - 8/10

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker -- 9.5/10. I finished the main campaign and am currently working on the extra ops and post-campaign main ops missions. Co-op is fun as hell, stealth is as great as you'd expect, there is so much content associated with it... love it.

I beat Killzone: Shadowfall Monday night.

- It was an awful single player and offered a less than mediocre experience while playing multiplayer.

- Great visuals though.

- Guns sounded weak.

- Owl seems forced. Also not a fan that the owl menu stays in the middle of the screen. Who thought this was a good idea?

- Cover system seems janky compared to KZ2 & KZ3

- Motion blur seemed forced and took me out of the game.

- Inconsistant framerate

- Just because you hit a checkpoint, doesn't mean the game saves there. Only certain checkpoints. Stupid.

Overall, the game looks great, but that's just about the only positive thing I can say about the game.

4/10

Killzone: Shadowfall

4/10

While I haven't played it, I still find it very hard to believe that it deserves a 4 out of 10. That's worse than Haze, and I highly doubt that it's worse than Haze.

While I haven't played it, I still find it very hard to believe that it deserves a 4 out of 10. That's worse than Haze, and I highly doubt that it's worse than Haze.

I've beat Haze and I'd say they're neck n neck in quality.

Rugby- the full 80 minutes. We lost but remain second in our league. I felt I had a decent enough game, would rate 6/10- room for improvement.

Knack I'll give a solid 7 out of 10. I could maybe even go 8. I had a lot of fun with it and already want to get started on my next playthrough as I work towards getting all the trophies.

Most recent finished game is dead island Ryder white dlc. For some reason this game looks worse than the base game. And I didn't enjoy this very much. I only liked the prison area of the game, hated going in the sewers, the game uses cheap tactics which pissed me off to no end. Not recommend. 5/10

The last full game I finished was GTAV. The game is one of the best games of the generation I feel. So much attention to detail. You seem to see something different every now and than. Parachuting is a awesome new feature, watching random people break the law and involved in police chases is absolutely hilarious. I once seen a toe truck ram a cruiser on a highway and he kept driving pushing the cruiser and the cop was yelling at him to stop, I was dying of laughter. I enjoyed all 3 characters and would like for this to be a template for all GTA games moving forward.

10/10

GTA5 - 7.9

I've always found GTA to be an overrated franchise, and the latest is no different. . .BUT at least I stuck with this one long enough to complete the main story, something I never came close to doing with previous GTA. games . .so I guess that's something.

Haven't seen you in a while @!

My last game:

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - 9.5/10

The only thing that keeps this massive and infinitely replayable game back is the fact that a lot of the extra missions toward the end are repeats of earlier bosses, just with more armor and stronger infantry. However, this game gives sooooo many hours of freaking fun and an awesome online component. Co-op is great. GREAT GREAT GREAT! That multi-player works beautifully in the campaign is a testament to that. @madmankevin Get ON IT.

Splatterhouse.jpg

8/10 - My Personal Review Here

I was totally blown away by how fun this game is. It's pretty much as Grindhouse-esque as it gets, which is something I'm all about with videogames anymore. It isn't too serious about anything but gameplay, gore, and being fun, which is just so refreshing in contrast to these story/cinematic/biased-philosophies focused games anymore.

Definitely recommend this game to anyone who is looking for a videogame that is really just a videogame. It has some technical/budget issues, but I still found the game to be an absolute blast to experience.

I'm gonna track this down based on your recommendation. Thanks.

Knack- It was fun but repetitive. Hopefully there's some good DLC for this and I'd like to see Sony do more with this character. 7/10

Killzone Shadow Fall- It's a pretty game, but the AI is way too dumb or way too hard and the abundance of checkpoints to the lack of checkpoints is annoying. 4/10

Dead Rising 3

Exactly what I was hoping for, minus it's average graphics. Lots to do, loads of replay, and fun as hell! I had a few Minor gripes with the control scheme but it's not like it's changed from DR 1. I've had the same problem with the controls from the start of this series, but I've learned to live.

8/10

Takedown: Red Sabre. 0.5/10

A broken pos "realistic tactical shooter"

Movements are horrid, as are the graphics, sound, and game play. Enemies kill you in one shot, through stairways, steel shut doors, roofs, ECT. Their AI is retarded but once they look at you it's a kill shot right to your dome. All 4 player died over and over at the same door beginning the area before the host said fuck it and shut down the server.

They get a 0.5 because the game launches.

Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus -- 7.5/10

Fun game, though the sound quality of the voices is subpar (better in the second) and the music is just there.