Lucian04

MS might have a dirty little secret. Why there are no direct Xbone vs PS4 comparisons

:o :o

At THIS precise moment. We'll see.

But this drip, drip, drip is driving me fucking nuts. I love Halo like no other franchise, but it's at least a year away - maybe more for an actual new entry - and man...it's like MS is trying to make me have sex with Sony.

A Sony console could be kind of nostalgic too, given how many hours I put into my PS2 in high school.

Some people don't have weird loyalty to consumer electronics when confronted with new information :P

I still think it will be ok by the end of the year. There's too much riding on it. The only question is when I'm jumping in, not if.

IAW has been dead set on Xbone in all of these threads until now

I know, but these things take a toll after a while.

I've also been dead set on it (and a PS4) for months because I love the potential of the exclusives, because none of the negatives actually affected those, but at some point it just becomes ridiculous. I want more info before it ships on the 21st.

I've also always said that PS4 mega-impresses me. It was never about non-Sony, just that I'm probably only going to get one console, and MS has my favorite franchise, and a lot of faith from me given how good the 360 was for me.

But take away that faith, and what do you have? A cool OS and Halo. Not sure that's enough right now. MS launch exclusives look better to me, but I need some swagger out of them, and some videos, if I'm going to drop $500. I can't even tell if they believe in their own product.

I am confident that COD is IW's fault, though, and have little doubt about the potential for X1 first party games - Ryse may be the best looking game this year. Shinji says they're about the same, but MS is in Richard Nixon Administration mode. What gives? Need some answers, and some video.

I dont get why people are like "OH THE RAM IS SLOWER DOE" to why its 720p.

When the fuck has RAM speed ever had ANYTHING to do with resolution?

This still just doesnt sound right. There is no way Ryse is almost 1080p, and Ghosts is 720p. Thats just not real life.

This still just doesnt sound right. There is no way Ryse is almost 1080p, and Ghosts is 720p. Thats just not real life.

Crytek. Working on only one game, instead of six versions.

It's also not just RAM (although for launch games, that does appear to be the issue that results in fairly weak games like Ghosts being 720p), but also the inferior GPU.

My guess is that the CoD team has been completely shifted to patching the X1 version after the other versions went gold. Rumors are that there's still hope for an improvement by launch.

One of the theories is that the RAM is more complex, so developers, rather than deal with the complexities, downgrade and move on.

Which was the case with Cell, but that was inarguably more powerful. X1 is probably equivalent on a good day, not inarguably more powerful.

Memory bandwidth is vital to high frame rate and high resolution......

The Xbone only has 68~ GB/sec. The PS4 has 176 GB/sec and a 290X has 320 GB/sec.

My desktop main system RAM, which is SLOW compared to GPU memory, is 45 GB/sec...which isn't all that much slower than the GPU memory in the Xbone.

Greatest grandmother ever. Clearly script from grandson, combined with the most badassest grannie around.

Hope 343i can pull their wizardry again and give us Master Chief in 1080p.

Like this.

Crytek. Working on only one game, instead of six versions.

It's also not just RAM (although for launch games, that does appear to be the issue that results in fairly weak games like Ghosts being 720p), but also the inferior GPU.

My guess is that the CoD team has been completely shifted to patching the X1 version after the other versions went gold. Rumors are that there's still hope for an improvement by launch.

We arent talking about a Wii U vs a gaming rig with a Titan here. Yeah, I expect PS4 games to look better, but Im sorry, I dont believe this. Its fucking CoD Ghosts. You know, the game that will run perfectly on a 5 year old PC at max settings.

If it were a game like Killzone or Ryse, Id be more apt to believe it, but even then, Id be more able to believe them gimping the visuals some, then just dumping the resolution down to 720p. Im really expecting that at launch, someone just goes "Oh, I guess it was actually the 360 version we looked at" or something. Even with how difficult it was for developers to use Cell, we never saw something like this.

We arent talking about a Wii U vs a gaming rig with a Titan here. Yeah, I expect PS4 games to look better, but Im sorry, I dont believe this. Its fucking CoD Ghosts. You know, the game that will run perfectly on a 5 year old PC at max settings.

If it were a game like Killzone or Ryse, Id be more apt to believe it, but even then, Id be more able to believe them gimping the visuals some, then just dumping the resolution down to 720p. Im really expecting that at launch, someone just goes "Oh, I guess it was actually the 360 version we looked at" or something. Even with how difficult it was for developers to use Cell, we never saw something like this.

Then don't believe it. Not much I can do about that. There simply isn't enough time when developing multiple versions to get through a more complicated architecture.

By the way, we did see something like this with Cell. At launch, a few games had half the framerate on the PS3 compared to the 360.

It could also be the case that the COD team just can't be arsed to figure out the ESRAM enough to use it for a framebuffer which forces them to fall back to 720p. Port teams tend to be very under staffed when dealing with launch hardware.

Also Ryse might be 900p but it's also only 30fps vs COD 60fps.

Dn69eTi.png

IBLopwF.png

This Jeremy fella seems like a bit of a douche. Upset about the embargo?

GAF mod that vetted the "insiders":

Oddly, I'm glad that it seems like this is about resolution/performance, and not hardware/OS issues, and that makes it ok in my book for launch.

Jesus, the GAF thread is COMPLETELY blowing up. More info nuggets from the vetting mod, bishoptl (insiders are basically required to PM him proof of their claims to avoid a ban):

Jesus, the GAF thread is COMPLETELY blowing up. More info nuggets from the vetting mod, bishoptl (insiders are basically required to PM him proof of their claims to avoid a ban):

Link? This is insane.