- - - - -

Killer Instinct... 6 characters and no story mode??? WTF???

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Hairyreddog

Hairyreddog
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

So apparently KI isn't looking so hot after all.  Only 6 characters and no story mode at launch?  2 more characters available in march and then another 8 characters next holiday... by then I will not be playing this game.  In fact, I probably won't ever be playing this game.  Clearly the game isn't done.  Here's a million dollar idea for Microsoft: Since the game isn't done, MAKE IT FREE AT LAUNCH.  Once the XBO advertising hits start hammering-  KILLER INSTINCT FREE WITH EVERY XBOX ONE.  It's already pre-loaded on to the hard drive.  And you get 6 characters, online mode and coop.  And then in 6 months they make available some new characters, a story mode and the original KI (with online multi) available for purchase for 30 or 40 bucks.  If the game is good, people will but it.  That would make sense.  This business model is just fucking stupid.

#2 Spork3245

Spork3245
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Please tell me that they added Fulgore. The fact that he was not one of the first characters shown blows my mind.
No talent becomes a legend on their own. Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breathe their final breath... And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence and his spirit will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory of those who honor him... And it will make the running that the man did live on forever. -Ultimate Warrior

#3 StephenO1683

StephenO1683

#

• 23,788 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

:lol:

#4 Dre801

Dre801
  • 8,826 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, Florida
  • Xbox Live:Dre801

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Meh, I was never all that excited for it, and stuff like this keeps it that way.
Florida haters can suck it.
Big tits are overrated.
All thieves should be executed.

#5 Spork3245

Spork3245
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostDre801, on 22 August 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

Meh, I was never all that excited for it, and stuff like this keeps it that way.

Me neither (being excited for it), but free is free... Even if it is a half-assed version.
I'm still waiting on the details for the "free" version of Drive Club on PS4 with PSN+; will it be the full version or a half-ass gimped version?
No talent becomes a legend on their own. Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breathe their final breath... And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence and his spirit will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory of those who honor him... And it will make the running that the man did live on forever. -Ultimate Warrior

#6 Keyser_Soze

Keyser_Soze
  • 33,826 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

Story mode in fighting games are so good!
Posted Image

#7 Hurdyb1

Hurdyb1
  • 19,788 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

Was there a story mode when it orginally released over a decade ago?

Are you looking for a Mortal Kombat or Injustice type story mode?
Chitownshogun73 = Gamertag & PSNID

#8 The def star

The def star

It's a me!

• 12,863 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

It is free at launch. Just with Jago though. Why feel entitled to get the whole game free? Sure the game isn't done but MS is trying something entirely new here. You get 8 characters, VS, Practice and online play for $20. That's a pretty good deal. And if you want to be even cheaper and only main with one or two characters you can pick and choose a fighter for $5. I'm not sure why people are so upset about this. Ken Lobb has also stated that story mode will be added later. I for one would rather pay $20 and get 8 fighters at launch than have to wait a whole year or so for the complete roster. And if you do want the complete roster you can always just play the free Jago version until the two seasons are available. Fighting games are always changing and growing. Look at how many iterations of SF4 there have been. At least with KI being available only via digital distribution you have a lot of options when it comes to purchasing the game as it becomes ready.
Follow me on Twitter: the_def_star, Instagram: the_def_star, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/defstarmusic Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/the_def_star ,YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DotDS

#9 Keyser_Soze

Keyser_Soze
  • 33,826 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

@The def star don't waste your fingers, OP was never going to get the game anyway.
Posted Image

#10 GameDadGrant

GameDadGrant

You fought well. I was honored.

• 7,119 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

Coop? Like, co-op gameplay? In a FIGHTING game?

Nah, son. Nah.

Anyway, a story mode would suck anyway - this ain't an RPG, it's a fighting game. A brief snippet in the beginning telling you who the character you selected is and why they are fighting, and then maybe a short cut scene at the end when the final boss is beaten showing what the character does afterwards, and...DONE. That's all the story a fighting game really needs, IMO.

Posted Image

#11 Teva

Teva
  • 7,898 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

WTF! no 40 hour story mode like in Persona 4 Arena? This is gonna be one shitty fighting game :P

#12 Spork3245

Spork3245
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

View PostKeyser_Soze, on 22 August 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

Story mode in fighting games are so good!

I enjoyed the story modes in Mortal Kombat and Injustice. But honestly, as long as there's a SP ladder I'm happy.

#13 number305

number305
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

I think it is cool the way they are doing this game.  They have said that they are setting KI up to be a platform, where every year you can just pay $20 to top off and get another 8 or so fighters added.  Maybe new modes or outfits etc.  This is a much better idea than paying $60 for a new street fighter every 6 months.

#14 Mr. Victor Twenty

Mr. Victor Twenty

Have you tried being calm?

• Jolly Green Giant
  • 14,048 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

As I understand it they will eventually add all of the original cast, is this correct?

PC: i4790K, 32Gb 2400 MHz RAM, EVGA GTX980 SLI 4-Way, 256Gb SSD, 4Tb HDD, Asus Z97-WS Mobo, Corsair 80 Plus Platinum 1200 watt PSU, Win8.1
GameCenter (iOS) Profile: Mr.Vic20

#15 Teva

Teva
  • 7,898 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostGameDadGrant, on 22 August 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

Nah, son. Nah.

Anyway, a story mode would suck anyway - this ain't an RPG, it's a fighting game. A brief snippet in the beginning telling you who the character you selected is and why they are fighting, and then maybe a short cut scene at the end when the final boss is beaten showing what the character does afterwards, and...DONE. That's all the story a fighting game really needs, IMO.

Yep, an arcade mode that has some story elements in it  is all you really need in a fighting game.

#16 Paperclyp

Paperclyp
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

It's extremely reasonably priced and all the content there looks good.  

*shrug

#17 The def star

The def star

It's a me!

• 12,863 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostMr. Victor Twenty, on 22 August 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

As I understand it they will eventually add all of the original cast, is this correct?

Nothing has been confirmed but so far they are 4 for 4 with Jago, Glacius, Sabrewulf and Chief Thunder announced. Rumor has it that the next two could be Orchid and Fulgore. Orchid being the most likely as there hasn't been a female character revealed yet.

Also dont get me wrong MK9 and Injustice did a great job with the story mode but I dont think I played the story mode more than once. I would totally love that if they made a similar story mode for KI but honestly I'd rather them focus on the game mechanics and balance before they tackle a story mode like that.
Follow me on Twitter: the_def_star, Instagram: the_def_star, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/defstarmusic Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/the_def_star ,YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DotDS

#18 Mr. Victor Twenty

Mr. Victor Twenty

Have you tried being calm?

• Jolly Green Giant
  • 14,048 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostThe def star, on 22 August 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

Nothing has been confirmed but so far they are 4 for 4 with Jago, Glaciud, Sabrewulf and Chief Thunder announced. Rumor has it that the next two could be Orchid and Fulgore. Orchid being the most likely as there hasn't been a female character revealed yet.

Gotcha, well any which way I'm gonna play the hell out of this baby! :cool:

PC: i4790K, 32Gb 2400 MHz RAM, EVGA GTX980 SLI 4-Way, 256Gb SSD, 4Tb HDD, Asus Z97-WS Mobo, Corsair 80 Plus Platinum 1200 watt PSU, Win8.1
GameCenter (iOS) Profile: Mr.Vic20

#19 NeoJoe

NeoJoe

Future Trophy Husband

• 8,892 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostStephenO1683, on 22 August 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

:lol:

"The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering." -Bruce Lee
Free Your Mind...

#20 madmankevin

madmankevin

Bungie Doesn't Love You Anymore

• 12,942 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostKeyser_Soze, on 22 August 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

@The def star don't waste your fingers, OP was never going to get the game anyway.

Ctrl C

Ctrl V

No wasted fingers!  amirite Jose? :P

For the record, I think everything about this model sounds good.
Posted Image

"Sometimes when I wipe, I'll wipe, and I'll wipe, and I'll wipe, and I'll wipe...  A hundred times.  Still poop.  Still poop.  It's like I'm wiping a marker or something."

#21 Hurdyb1

Hurdyb1
  • 19,788 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostSpork3245, on 22 August 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

I enjoyed the story modes in Mortal Kombat and Injustice. But honestly, as long as there's a SP ladder I'm happy.

This is all I need in a fighter. If I get a story mode as extensive as the Netherealm stuff (MK VS DC, MK 9, Injustice) that's bonus for a fighter.
Chitownshogun73 = Gamertag & PSNID

#22 Wild

Wild
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

View PostHairyreddog, on 22 August 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

Clearly the game isn't done.  

It's done. They're trying a different business model: a la carte fighter. Enjoy the new era of gaming. Ain't it fucking GREAT!

#23 HGLatinBoy

HGLatinBoy

American Gangster

• 12,936 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

Haters gonna hate. By the time I get Xbox One the games other characters should be out.

By the way it's easier to balance a fighting game if it has less characters. $20 isn't so bad for 8 character.
Posted Image Posted Image    Posted Image

#24 Teva

Teva
  • 7,898 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostHGLatinBoy, on 22 August 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

Haters gonna hate. By the time I get Xbox One the games other characters should be out.

By the way it's easier to balance a fighting game if it has less characters. $20 isn't so bad for 8 character.

you're right the game should only have 5 characters. I wouldn't want it to be unbalanced ...

#25 HGLatinBoy

HGLatinBoy

American Gangster

• 12,936 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

Good thing it has 8
Posted Image Posted Image    Posted Image

#26 Teva

Teva
  • 7,898 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostHGLatinBoy, on 22 August 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

Good thing it has 8

Why is that a good thing ? The game wont be as balanced. :P

#27 StephenO1683

StephenO1683

#

• 23,788 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostWild, on 22 August 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

It's done. They're trying a different business model: a la carte fighter. Enjoy the new era of gaming. Ain't it fucking GREAT!

Fucking armored horses

#28 Teva

Teva
  • 7,898 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

View PostStephenO1683, on 22 August 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

Fucking armored horses

It's all Oblivion's fault.

#29 Rodimus

Rodimus
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

I heard somewhere it was only 6 at launch getting up to 8 in feb or march. I want to say I heard it from ign.

#30 Hairyreddog

Hairyreddog
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:54 AM

View PostThe def star, on 22 August 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

It is free at launch. Just with Jago though. Why feel entitled to get the whole game free? Sure the game isn't done but MS is trying something entirely new here. You get 8 characters, VS, Practice and online play for $20. That's a pretty good deal. And if you want to be even cheaper and only main with one or two characters you can pick and choose a fighter for $5. I'm not sure why people are so upset about this. Ken Lobb has also stated that story mode will be added later. I for one would rather pay $20 and get 8 fighters at launch than have to wait a whole year or so for the complete roster. And if you do want the complete roster you can always just play the free Jago version until the two seasons are available. Fighting games are always changing and growing. Look at how many iterations of SF4 there have been. At least with KI being available only via digital distribution you have a lot of options when it comes to purchasing the game as it becomes ready.

View PostKeyser_Soze, on 22 August 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

Not true.  I was very interested in the game... but this is a terrible deal.  20 bucks for 6 characters?  No story mode?  40 bucks for 8 characters, original KI and no story mode?  And yeah, I would love a story mode like Mortal Kombat.  What's wrong with that?  I like to play fighters with a story.  And I'm certainly not an entitled gamer... I have no problem paying full price for a game.  I don't usually bitch about anything... but this is just a stupid idea.  My suggestion about making it free was for MS benefit.  They've been shooting themselves in the foot since E3 and making this 6 character half assed half a game free would be a great idea to not only gain goodwill will gamers but also boost sales.

#31 Hairyreddog

Hairyreddog
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:00 AM

View PostGameDadGrant, on 22 August 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

Nah, son. Nah.

I didn't mean coop.  Story modes are awesome even if they are like SF4. Doesn't have to be like MK.  Didn't mean to offend the KI fanboys... Jeez.

#32 Wild

Wild
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostStephenO1683, on 22 August 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

Fucking armored horses

:lol: Exactly. Who knows, might work out in the end. I won't be playing it, but it will be interesting to watch the success of it.

#33 number305

number305
  • 793 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

View PostHairyreddog, on 23 August 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

Not true.  I was very interested in the game... but this is a terrible deal.  20 bucks for 6 characters?  No story mode?  40 bucks for 8 characters, original KI and no story mode?  And yeah, I would love a story mode like Mortal Kombat.  What's wrong with that?  I like to play fighters with a story.  And I'm certainly not an entitled gamer... I have no problem paying full price for a game.  I don't usually bitch about anything... but this is just a stupid idea.  My suggestion about making it free was for MS benefit.  They've been shooting themselves in the foot since E3 and making this 6 character half assed half a game free would be a great idea to not only gain goodwill will gamers but also boost sales.

$20 gets you all 8 characters.  You only get 6 to start with because that is all they have done.  You get the other two when they come out in Feb or March.  You also get story mode when it is done.

For $40 you get all of the above plus several variants on the characters which have been described as looking like totally different characters altogether, plus the original arcade version of KI.

Following all of that season two will come out 'sometime' next' year for an additional $20 with 8 new characters.  They will continue with new seasons as long as there is interest.

#34 never_knows_best

never_knows_best

Not a Mod

• 13,250 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

It's like the opposite of Mortal Kombat (which has ruined most other fighting games for me).
but now we dance this grim fandango
and will four years before we rest

#35 iczelion74

iczelion74

A man's soul is easily judged by the beer he drinks.

• 5,369 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

KILLER INSTINCT WAS NEVER GOOD! It was the joke of the arcades back then. You people are clouded by nostalgia.
Posted Image
i5 3570k@4.1ghz Z68MA 16GB 7970OC - HTPC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users