Killer Instinct... 6 characters and no story mode??? WTF???

97 posts in this topic

Posted

So apparently KI isn't looking so hot after all. Only 6 characters and no story mode at launch? 2 more characters available in march and then another 8 characters next holiday... by then I will not be playing this game. In fact, I probably won't ever be playing this game. Clearly the game isn't done. Here's a million dollar idea for Microsoft: Since the game isn't done, MAKE IT FREE AT LAUNCH. Once the XBO advertising hits start hammering- KILLER INSTINCT FREE WITH EVERY XBOX ONE. It's already pre-loaded on to the hard drive. And you get 6 characters, online mode and coop. And then in 6 months they make available some new characters, a story mode and the original KI (with online multi) available for purchase for 30 or 40 bucks. If the game is good, people will but it. That would make sense. This business model is just fucking stupid.

Posted

Please tell me that they added Fulgore. The fact that he was not one of the first characters shown blows my mind.

Posted

Meh, I was never all that excited for it, and stuff like this keeps it that way.

Posted

Meh, I was never all that excited for it, and stuff like this keeps it that way.

Me neither (being excited for it), but free is free... Even if it is a half-assed version.

I'm still waiting on the details for the "free" version of Drive Club on PS4 with PSN+; will it be the full version or a half-ass gimped version?

Posted

Story mode in fighting games are so good!

Posted

Was there a story mode when it orginally released over a decade ago?

Are you looking for a Mortal Kombat or Injustice type story mode?

Posted

It is free at launch. Just with Jago though. Why feel entitled to get the whole game free? Sure the game isn't done but MS is trying something entirely new here. You get 8 characters, VS, Practice and online play for $20. That's a pretty good deal. And if you want to be even cheaper and only main with one or two characters you can pick and choose a fighter for $5. I'm not sure why people are so upset about this. Ken Lobb has also stated that story mode will be added later. I for one would rather pay $20 and get 8 fighters at launch than have to wait a whole year or so for the complete roster. And if you do want the complete roster you can always just play the free Jago version until the two seasons are available. Fighting games are always changing and growing. Look at how many iterations of SF4 there have been. At least with KI being available only via digital distribution you have a lot of options when it comes to purchasing the game as it becomes ready.

Posted

@The def star don't waste your fingers, OP was never going to get the game anyway.

Posted

Coop? Like, co-op gameplay? In a FIGHTING game?

Nah, son. Nah.

Anyway, a story mode would suck anyway - this ain't an RPG, it's a fighting game. A brief snippet in the beginning telling you who the character you selected is and why they are fighting, and then maybe a short cut scene at the end when the final boss is beaten showing what the character does afterwards, and...DONE. That's all the story a fighting game really needs, IMO.

Posted

WTF! no 40 hour story mode like in Persona 4 Arena? This is gonna be one shitty fighting game :P

Posted

Story mode in fighting games are so good!

I enjoyed the story modes in Mortal Kombat and Injustice. But honestly, as long as there's a SP ladder I'm happy.

Posted

I think it is cool the way they are doing this game. They have said that they are setting KI up to be a platform, where every year you can just pay $20 to top off and get another 8 or so fighters added. Maybe new modes or outfits etc. This is a much better idea than paying $60 for a new street fighter every 6 months.

Posted

As I understand it they will eventually add all of the original cast, is this correct?

Posted

Coop? Like, co-op gameplay? In a FIGHTING game?

Nah, son. Nah.

Anyway, a story mode would suck anyway - this ain't an RPG, it's a fighting game. A brief snippet in the beginning telling you who the character you selected is and why they are fighting, and then maybe a short cut scene at the end when the final boss is beaten showing what the character does afterwards, and...DONE. That's all the story a fighting game really needs, IMO.

Yep, an arcade mode that has some story elements in it is all you really need in a fighting game.

Posted

It's extremely reasonably priced and all the content there looks good.

*shrug

Posted

As I understand it they will eventually add all of the original cast, is this correct?

Nothing has been confirmed but so far they are 4 for 4 with Jago, Glacius, Sabrewulf and Chief Thunder announced. Rumor has it that the next two could be Orchid and Fulgore. Orchid being the most likely as there hasn't been a female character revealed yet.

Also dont get me wrong MK9 and Injustice did a great job with the story mode but I dont think I played the story mode more than once. I would totally love that if they made a similar story mode for KI but honestly I'd rather them focus on the game mechanics and balance before they tackle a story mode like that.

Posted

Nothing has been confirmed but so far they are 4 for 4 with Jago, Glaciud, Sabrewulf and Chief Thunder announced. Rumor has it that the next two could be Orchid and Fulgore. Orchid being the most likely as there hasn't been a female character revealed yet.

Gotcha, well any which way I'm gonna play the hell out of this baby! :cool:

Posted

Posted

@The def star don't waste your fingers, OP was never going to get the game anyway.

Ctrl C

Ctrl V

No wasted fingers! amirite Jose? :P

For the record, I think everything about this model sounds good.

Posted

I enjoyed the story modes in Mortal Kombat and Injustice. But honestly, as long as there's a SP ladder I'm happy.

This is all I need in a fighter. If I get a story mode as extensive as the Netherealm stuff (MK VS DC, MK 9, Injustice) that's bonus for a fighter.

Posted

Clearly the game isn't done.

It's done. They're trying a different business model: a la carte fighter. Enjoy the new era of gaming. Ain't it fucking GREAT!

Posted

Haters gonna hate. By the time I get Xbox One the games other characters should be out.

By the way it's easier to balance a fighting game if it has less characters. $20 isn't so bad for 8 character.

Posted

Haters gonna hate. By the time I get Xbox One the games other characters should be out.

By the way it's easier to balance a fighting game if it has less characters. $20 isn't so bad for 8 character.

you're right the game should only have 5 characters. I wouldn't want it to be unbalanced ...