* * * * * 2 votes

FFXIV: ARR - Patch 2.2 "Through the Maelstrom" release on 3/27/14!

• Please log in to reply
2102 replies to this topic

#981 LionFranco

LionFranco

2014: Year of the Vita!

• 23,970 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

View PostBobbyB, on 06 September 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

I didn't even think about remote play on my Vita playing ffxiv....that is AWESOME!

Yeah, it sounds great IMO. I'm wondering how easy it will be to see chat while playing, but if anything, maybe they can put in a "remote play" tag, just like they have an "afk" tag, so that people will know you are playing remote play and wont try to invite you into groups and stuff.
Final Fantaxy XIV - The reason all of my other video games are neglected.

Vita, PS4, 3DS, PSP, PS3, PC, WiiU, Wii & 360
PC Specs: AMD FX-8320 8-core, ASUS M5A97 mobo, 8gb DDR3 ram, GTX760 4gb (downloaded) video card, 2x 1 TB HDD's -
Anticipating: Infamous: Second Son, FFX/X-2 Remaster, Toukiden, Drive Club, Starlight Inception,
Freedom Wars, another Dragons Dogma game, Mighty Number 9, etc.
FFXIV: Jeroak Nelave

The Big Bang makes sense concerning the origin of the universe. God does not.
Nothing comes from nothing, God never could.
Evolution is not the problem. God is the problem.

#982 Z3M0G

Z3M0G
  • 7,924 posts
  • LocationNB, Canada
  • PSN ID:Z3M0G

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostLionFranco, on 06 September 2013 - 07:37 AM, said:

It doesnt sound like that at all, it sounds like he is saying that you can do everything that you could with the other versions, but he was suggesting not to try and do remote play when running groups or dungeons. Which i can understand why, as conversing will require an onscreen keyboard that will hide much of the screen. Plus the inherent delays possible with remote play could mean life and death in hectic battles. But yeah, i would so use remote play for crafting and gathering and maybe leves when i dont want to be upstairs on my computer (especially during the summer when my room gets warm and i dont want to use the AC all the time).

Yah, I was going to edit my post and forgot...

#983 EvilFriedBacon

EvilFriedBacon

The Anime Guy

• 5,171 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostScape Zero, on 06 September 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

A bug they havent fixed yet.  Plate armor cant be "needed" by DRG.

I know it can't be needed, but I thought maybe it wasn't plate or there are some exceptions to the rule. Stupid bug getting my hopes up. Thanks for the answer.
That's what I've heard on the road, anyhow. Take it for what it is.
Posted Image

#984 LionFranco

LionFranco

• 23,970 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

I'm so glad the weekend is almost upon us. I should be able to get some real play time in! But i think i'll be doing alot of focusing on my crafting

PC Specs: AMD FX-8320 8-core, ASUS M5A97 mobo, 8gb DDR3 ram, GTX760 4gb (downloaded) video card, 2x 1 TB HDD's -
Anticipating: Infamous: Second Son, FFX/X-2 Remaster, Toukiden, Drive Club, Starlight Inception,

#985 Xbob42

Xbob42
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

Whew.  Hitting my first real gear check as a tank.  Hard Mode Garuda was rough on me (Got the strat down pat, but got hit pretty hit by the boss.  I could tell it was a strain on the healers.) but Hard Mode Titan (the current final hard mode) is just...  absurd!  My gear is nowhere near enough to tank this fucker.  He hits like a train loaded with nukes, on fire and falling from orbit.  My itty bitty 4.6k HP pool is not sufficient.  I need to get up to a minimum of 5.5k and try again!  Relics, here I come!
We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#986 EvilFriedBacon

EvilFriedBacon

The Anime Guy

• 5,171 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Man, Brayflox's Longstop was the first challenging dungeon. Up until that dungeon I pretty much just did the basic lancer combo in dungeons. But with Longstop I was busting out all the tricks. By all, I mean I finally started to use slow and made sure my dots were up at all times. What made it even harder was my friend and I were dead tired but ran an unfamiliar dungeon anyways. He was the Healer. We wiped twice. Once at the first boss and once at the final boss. Up to this point he has never had to actually tr or exert effort to keep us alive. With the unexpected difficulty and how tired we were, it was not a good time. Thankfully, the tank was pretty good.

Also, I want to start putting materia in gear, but I really dislike the 'grind' to level up the crafting/gathering classes. :shrug:
Posted Image

#987 Xbob42

Xbob42
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostEvilFriedBacon, on 06 September 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

Also, I want to start putting materia in gear, but I really dislike the 'grind' to level up the crafting/gathering classes. :shrug:

Then don't level them.  Each piece of gear will tell you what class can meld materia into it.  Before you do anything else, check which catalyst it needs.  (Carbonized matter, I think.) and buy some off the auction house.  Even the highest grade stuff goes for dirt cheap on my server so stock up!  Just go to whichever city has that classes' guild as its base and walk through the market area looking for crafters!  For example, if you need a blacksmith, look for someone using an anvil.  (There's actually two types of anvils, examine them to see which one is a blacksmith and which is an armorer so you can tell the difference at a glance instead of examining.)

Then, right click them (or hit X(360) or square(PS3)) and hit "request meld."  It'll bring up a list of all items you can meld, select the item, select the materia, and select a gil reward if you wish to give one.  (They just click "okay" and it's instantly done, so don't give TOO big a reward unless you had to /shout for one or you just think they deserve it for leveling a slow ass crafting class.)

If it has multiple materia slots, simply request another meld to finish the second/third/fourth slots.

To summarize:

1. Get catalyst, it says which on item.

2. Go to city with the crafter guild you need, it says which crafter on item.

3. Right click or X/Square on desired crafter.

4. Select item, put in a reward.  Hit okay.  Done!
We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#988 EvilFriedBacon

EvilFriedBacon

The Anime Guy

• 5,171 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostXbob42, on 06 September 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

Then don't level them.  Each piece of gear will tell you what class can meld materia into it.  Before you do anything else, check which catalyst it needs.  (Carbonized matter, I think.) and buy some off the auction house.  Even the highest grade stuff goes for dirt cheap on my server so stock up!  Just go to whichever city has that classes' guild as its base and walk through the market area looking for crafters!  For example, if you need a blacksmith, look for someone using an anvil.  (There's actually two types of anvils, examine them to see which one is a blacksmith and which is an armorer so you can tell the difference at a glance instead of examining.)

Then, right click them (or hit X(360) or square(PS3)) and hit "request meld."  It'll bring up a list of all items you can meld, select the item, select the materia, and select a gil reward if you wish to give one.  (They just click "okay" and it's instantly done, so don't give TOO big a reward unless you had to /shout for one or you just think they deserve it for leveling a slow ass crafting class.)

If it has multiple materia slots, simply request another meld to finish the second/third/fourth slots.

To summarize:

1. Get catalyst, it says which on item.

2. Go to city with the crafter guild you need, it says which crafter on item.

3. Right click or X/Square on desired crafter.

4. Select item, put in a reward.  Hit okay.  Done!

Had no clue you could do that...

and I was watching this again for the 5th time and just in case somebody here has not seen this epicness, enjoy.

EDIT: Where are people getting that cool magitek mount?
Posted Image

#989 Z3M0G

Z3M0G
  • 7,924 posts
  • LocationNB, Canada

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostEvilFriedBacon, on 06 September 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

EDIT: Where are people getting that cool magitek mount?

Finishing main story, I believe.

#990 Z3M0G

Z3M0G
  • 7,924 posts
  • LocationNB, Canada

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

View PostEvilFriedBacon, on 06 September 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

and I was watching this again for the 5th time and just in case somebody here has not seen this epicness, enjoy.

About this video, I was sad when I saw the actual game intro is the "rushed" narrated version of this... but if you let the game sit on the Main Menu, you will get this full non-narrated version.  :D

#991 The_Dude

The_Dude

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.

• 13,742 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

What can one sell a pink/purple item for? Got a marauder axe that's aetherial.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or His Dudeness … Duder … or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

4770k - Z87X - 780 Ti SC w/ACX - 16GB - 27" 1440p

#992 LionFranco

LionFranco

• 23,970 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostThe_Dude, on 06 September 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

What can one sell a pink/purple item for? Got a marauder axe that's aetherial.

I'm pretty sure they are untradeable...

#993 Xbob42

Xbob42
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

Time for some slightly more advanced stuff!

Player searches!

Sometimes you may wanna search for a player for one reason or another.  You need a high level crafter, you're fighting a quest mob that doesn't the Duty Finder, etc etc.

Go to "Social Lists" and hit "Player Search."

Posted Image

So you can search by first or last name if you're specifically looking for a friend or whatever.

You can sort by people who are, in order: Looking for party, currently a party leader, looking to meld materia, afk, in battle, viewing a cutscene or busy.  (You can exclude them as well, obviously.)

You can then sort by their class on the left side, or by crafting/gathering class on the right.  By default it searches for all of them, so uncheck whichever you don't want to search for.  Then there's level range, obviously, and what regions they're in, which grand company they belong to and languages.  When you're done, hit execute and you'll get a nice big list of who meets your criteria.  Beats the hell outta /shouting for people!  (Player searches are pretty basic stuff, I know, but most people aren't even aware this game has one because it's a tiny bit buried.)

Not sure if you can trade pink items, but pink items basically mean "random stats," meaning they can be AMAZING or just okay.

Order of rarity is:

White -> Pink -> Green -> Blue -> Purple
Common ---->Uncommon --->Rare--------->Epic--------->Relic

#994 The_Dude

The_Dude

• 13,742 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostLionFranco, on 06 September 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure they are untradeable...

Ah really? I didn't even look... Why would they let people greed on them tho, well I guess you can always use it to change classes. I always forget that aspect in the game.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or His Dudeness … Duder … or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

#995 Xbob42

Xbob42
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

View PostThe_Dude, on 06 September 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

Ah really? I didn't even look... Why would they let people greed on them tho, well I guess you can always use it to change classes. I always forget that aspect in the game.

You can greed on literally anything, that's why it's called greed!  :P  There'd myriad things you can do with it.  Use it for a different class, use it for...  something vague and nebulous in crafting, equip it, spiritbond it and turn it into materia, etc.

#996 The_Dude

The_Dude

• 13,742 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

Ah cool, so much I still need to find out with this stuff.

#997 Moa

Moa
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

One day I will buy this game.
User was banned for this post.

#998 EvilFriedBacon

EvilFriedBacon

The Anime Guy

• 5,171 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

So I made a toon on Sargatanas.
Posted Image

#999 LionFranco

LionFranco

• 23,970 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

What is his name? i'll try to get him into the FC once i get back from being out for a while.

#1000 EvilFriedBacon

EvilFriedBacon

The Anime Guy

• 5,171 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

His name is Red Falls. No relation to Red Winters.
Posted Image

#1001 Kyio

Kyio

The Heliocentric Knight!

• Administrator
  • 19,719 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

Got some ideas for changing up the HUD and tried to move some things around for how it would best work for me. I am kinda stuck on how well the 3 stacked hotbars works for me as Monk, as much as I want to go to 2 I am pretty set in my ways at this point heh. But here is a shot of my current layout, still needs some tweaking uwith that pet bar and a higher placement maybe for the quest tracking, but it has opened up a lot of screen to see the world now.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Kyio Nitor -- Sargatanas Server
Free Company -- Wild Tonberries

-- www.TheWildTonberries.com --

"The marks on your head look like stars in the sky"

#1002 Kyio

Kyio

The Heliocentric Knight!

• Administrator
  • 19,719 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

Another example of someone else's UI. I tried that minimap centered at the bottom idea, but it was really annoying and wasn't working out for how big I like my chat windows or where my eyes want to go for the map. I loved the idea of the big map spot there, but that thing is so easy to turn on and off with the M key I would rather have it off until I need it. Much more space to see the game.

Now if only they will update the game to turn off quest tracking...

Posted Image

Posted Image
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Kyio Nitor -- Sargatanas Server
Free Company -- Wild Tonberries

-- www.TheWildTonberries.com --

"The marks on your head look like stars in the sky"

#1003 EvilFriedBacon

EvilFriedBacon

The Anime Guy

• 5,171 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostLionFranco, on 07 September 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

What is his name? i'll try to get him into the FC once i get back from being out for a while.

I'm actually playing on another server right now, so just let me know when you get home by either saying so in this thread or PM me. I'll log back on to Red Falls and join the FC.
Posted Image

#1004 Xbob42

Xbob42
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

Here's my HUD; as a person who has always been comfortable with a controller+keyboard setup (I grew up with PSO on the Dreamcast and FFXI with a PS2 pad on PC as my main online games, after all.) I like to have a single keyboard hotbar out.  I find that's quicker and more reliable for me personally than switching controller hotbars, as I'm always typing shit mid-battle as I position bosses and such anyway.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1005 The_Dude

The_Dude

• 13,742 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

Edit: figured it out

#1006 Teva

Teva
  • 7,824 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

oops wrong thread.

I'm still pissed that Square still isn't allowing the digital game to be downloaded.....

#1007 Pent

Pent
  • 786 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostLionFranco, on 06 September 2013 - 05:46 AM, said:

Pent where were you? Gridania? If you ran out of story and generic quests I would be very surprised. You probably missed a quest npc somewhere that would have had you head to a different are where you would have had quests available to you. And whatever you do, do not neglect the story quests, they open up the world immensely.

I was in Gridania... but...

Already leveled a CNJ to 25 doing Gridania stuff (story quests and generic quests), leveled an Arcanist to 20 doing the same in LL... and a Thaumatauge-whtvr o 10 (so far) in Uldah doing the same there.  All on the same character, so I know the rest of the classes will be alot more 'grindy'.
Posted Image

#1008 The_Dude

The_Dude

• 13,742 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

So like with leveling a second class, how does it work? I mean is the idea that you can simply just be a second class or do you gain those abilities. Meaning if your an archer and I wanted to cast heal spells id level up a healing class to do both or would it simply mean I just switch jobs?

#1009 EvilFriedBacon

EvilFriedBacon

The Anime Guy

• 5,171 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

God the quests leading up to titan were boring as fuck. Not even the story was entertaining. Titan better be a good fight.
Posted Image

#1010 Xbob42

Xbob42
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostEvilFriedBacon, on 07 September 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

God the quests leading up to titan were boring as fuck. Not even the story was entertaining. Titan better be a good fight.

GIRD

YOUR

LOOOOOOOOOOIIIIINNNNSSSSS

#1011 NextGen

NextGen

#IMPROOF

• 8,890 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostEvilFriedBacon, on 07 September 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

he's kind of a bitch tbh
Master Race 1%'er

#1012 LionFranco

LionFranco

• 23,970 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostThe_Dude, on 07 September 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

So like with leveling a second class, how does it work? I mean is the idea that you can simply just be a second class or do you gain those abilities. Meaning if your an archer and I wanted to cast heal spells id level up a healing class to do both or would it simply mean I just switch jobs?

@The_Dude

Some of the abilities are cross class, which means other classes can use them. Like on my main, who is an archer, I have Bloodbath and Fracture from Marauder, Second Wind and Haymaker from Pugilist, and Physick from Arcanist. Now other abilities, like being able to summon the ARcanists pet are exclusive to arcanist. I believe you get your first cross class slot at lvl 5, and get an extra slot every 5 levels. I just hit 30 and i have 6 slots to use abilities from other classes.

#1013 LionFranco

LionFranco

• 23,970 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

@EvilFriedBacon Let me know when you can get back onto Sargatanas and i'll add you to the FC. or just add me as a friend, Jeroak Nelave, and i'll see your request and add you.

#1014 The_Dude

The_Dude

• 13,742 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

Is there any perk to being a pure class?

#1015 EvilFriedBacon

EvilFriedBacon

The Anime Guy

• 5,171 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

Titan fight was easy even though we had to restart 3 times. Mage and Healer kept getting knocked off the edge. So, every time we had to restart. When we beat him the mage still ended up getting knocked off but we still beat'em.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users