Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (June 11, 2021) - Information Thread, Update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

SaysWho?

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

How's the Ratchet & Clank game on PS4?  I've never played a R&C game but that looked great.

It’s a remake of the first game with the cutscenes taking from the movie. It’s a good entry point to see if you like the series. 

3 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

It’s a remake of the first game with the cutscenes taking from the movie. It’s a good entry point to see if you like the series. 

I just fired up the PS4 Ratchet for the first time after watching this.  First Ratchet anything, matter of fact.  Think I'll stick with it.

Shame the whole series isn't available on the PS4 though.

Transitions were definitely cool. Definitely not the "zero load times" we were told to expect, though, as those transitions take a couple seconds each time and are clearly a buffer for the next zone, but still way faster and neater than what we've currently got. Glad to see at least one game showed something like that off, even if it wasn't quite as spectacular as promised. (Which is why instead of promising zero load times they shouldn't have said anything and let peoples' minds be blown with no context.)

But I just can't get behind 30 FPS Ratchet. The first games in the series still look and play great to this day, and in no small part due to their buttery smooth gameplay. They ARE action games, after all. The remake a few years back, aside from utterly butchering the story to make it some weird cross-media kids-friendly nonsense, also just felt way worse to play than any other Ratchet game that I've played. I was hoping to see 60 FPS once the standalone trailer went live, and am disappointed that won't be the case. If this was at 60 as a Ratchet game should be, it'd be a no-brainer. Now, there might be a performance mode or something, and if there is, then I'll pick it up assuming it hits 60 and isn't just a bad uncapped 30.

I've always been a big Ratchet and Clank fan, and this one change that started a few games back just completely killed my interest in the series. Sacrificing playability to make things look shinier is not what I'm after. Although at least this time they're going a lot crazier on the visuals, I guess!

11 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

How's the Ratchet & Clank game on PS4?  I've never played a R&C game but that looked great.

Great game. It's a remake of the first, but its controls are modern. Example: there's no strafing in the first game, but that's a common feature in shooters. You can upgrade weapons like most R&C games (you couldn't in the original), and some cutscenes are from the movie while others are using in-game graphics.

It's a fucking beautiful game, too.

The only thing missing is an arena mode. I hope this one has one. Granted, the first R&C didn't have one either, so it's not really a "letdown" that the remake didn't have one either, but I'd have loved one.

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Transitions were definitely cool. Definitely not the "zero load times" we were told to expect, though, as those transitions take a couple seconds each time and are clearly a buffer for the next zone, but still way faster and neater than what we've currently got. Glad to see at least one game showed something like that off, even if it wasn't quite as spectacular as promised. (Which is why instead of promising zero load times they shouldn't have said anything and let peoples' minds be blown with no context.)

But I just can't get behind 30 FPS Ratchet. The first games in the series still look and play great to this day, and in no small part due to their buttery smooth gameplay. They ARE action games, after all. The remake a few years back, aside from utterly butchering the story to make it some weird cross-media kids-friendly nonsense, also just felt way worse to play than any other Ratchet game that I've played. I was hoping to see 60 FPS once the standalone trailer went live, and am disappointed that won't be the case. If this was at 60 as a Ratchet game should be, it'd be a no-brainer. Now, there might be a performance mode or something, and if there is, then I'll pick it up assuming it hits 60 and isn't just a bad uncapped 30.

I've always been a big Ratchet and Clank fan, and this one change that started a few games back just completely killed my interest in the series. Sacrificing playability to make things look shinier is not what I'm after. Although at least this time they're going a lot crazier on the visuals, I guess!

The standalone trailer appears to be running uncapped.  Some moments it’s definitely 60, other moments it dips considerably. I’m assuming it’s a sign they’re targeting 60fps, but it will take some optimizations to get there.  Either way, I wouldn’t assume 30fps at this point, because we’ve seen it run higher.

IMO the transitions weren’t perfect, even with the loading buffer, but a good illustration that they can do it.  This is the first crack at this kind of rapid change we’ve seen yet, with pre-release hardware. I’d imagine within a few years we’ll see devs improve on it considerably.

13 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The standalone trailer appears to be running uncapped.  Some moments it’s definitely 60, other moments it dips considerably. I’m assuming it’s a sign they’re targeting 60fps, but it will take some optimizations to get there.  Either way, I wouldn’t assume 30fps at this point, because we’ve seen it run higher.

Is there like a non-Youtube standalone trailer (like for download) somewhere? Because by standalone I meant the Youtube trailer, which was absolutely at 30 FPS, as I believe the video would have to be encoded at 60 FPS to display 60 FPS, even for a second, which would make it show up as a 60 FPS video when you select a quality level. At least that's how it was when I uploaded videos regularly. I didn't see any spots that looked to go higher than 30, but definitely noticed some hitches and drops here and there, particularly with the transitions.

12 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Is there like a non-Youtube standalone trailer (like for download) somewhere? Because by standalone I meant the Youtube trailer, which was absolutely at 30 FPS, as I believe the video would have to be encoded at 60 FPS to display 60 FPS, even for a second, which would make it show up as a 60 FPS video when you select a quality level. At least that's how it was when I uploaded videos regularly. I didn't see any spots that looked to go higher than 30, but definitely noticed some hitches and drops here and there, particularly with the transitions.

The one on the Playstation channel was 30fps, yeah. I found this one but haven't actually watched it all the way through since I'm at work. Lemme know if it's showing 60fps or if that's an option that shouldn't be on the video.

That one actually seems to run a lot worse and less smooth than the Playstation channel one. It does show a 60 FPS option, but you can encode your video to be whatever FPS you want. Not sure if it's actually providing any frames that weren't in the official channel's video.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ratchet and Clank find themselves at odds with their archnemesis, Dr. Nefarious. Only this time, he’s equipped with the dangerous Dimensionator, a device with the power to travel to other dimensions. The duo fights their way through an army of hired Goons in Megalopolis until something happens and they are ripped apart. Where are they now? 

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/27/an-extended-look-at-ratchet-clank-rift-apart-gameplay/

This is just a small taste of the game and we cannot wait for you to experience these features for yourself. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is its own stand-alone adventure and uniquely compelling story, featuring the trademark humor and wit the series is known for.  As we head towards the game’s upcoming release within the PS5 launch window, we’re excited to share more with you including our first ever playable Lombax not named Ratchet!