• Announcements

• Welcome to the Future   08/24/2015

We've upgraded to a new version of message board software! Some things are different and some things are still progress. If you have any problems to report, please see the thread on Dev Central. Thanks! FYI, there are only 2 themes but they can be changed at the very bottom of the page. Niggles Classic will be experimental for now - D1P Staff UPDATE: Post processing is complete. Old bbcode should now be rendered properly. There are still some other converters at work, but that one is done.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Can you install an SSD into the PS4?

19 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

If the ps3 can I can't see why you can't on PS4. The important question is will the ps4 actually take advantage of an ssd drive.

Posted · Report post

To maintain longterm optimal performance the PS4 OS and SATA chipset will need to support TRIM command for SSDs. I haven't heard anything about this, but from a purely physical standpoint you should be able to plug an SSD in the PS4 and it will probably work. And to take full advantage of the read/write speeds a SATA 6 gbps port is needed, although an SSD bottlenecked by a SATA 3 gbps port is still a lot faster than a hard drive.

Posted · Report post

You gonna have a copy of PS4's operating system to take advantage of those speeds dogg?

No you say?

THEN WHATS THE POINT?

Posted · Report post

You gonna have a copy of PS4's operating system to take advantage of those speeds dogg?

No you say?

THEN WHATS THE POINT?

Well I'd assume games that are installed to the HD will read much faster and reduce in game loading substantially.

Posted · Report post

No you say?

THEN WHATS THE POINT?

Fast load times in games downloaded to the drive of course.

Posted · Report post

By the sounds of it people wanted more than 500 gigs, why would you put a SSD in there?

Posted · Report post

By the sounds of it people wanted more than 500 gigs, why would you put a SSD in there?

to make teh inexpensive 399.00 console a 799.00 console

Posted · Report post

to make teh inexpensive 399.00 console a 799.00 console

Good thing they saved that 100 bucks and can sell their games.

Posted · Report post

Better performance.

I'll just keep the games downloaded to the HD that I am playing currently and re-install them at a later date if I need too. Also, transitioning to PC gaming over the past couple of months has really spoiled me on load times and Steam has made me fall in love with a digital collection.

Posted · Report post

PS3 can so I'd expect the PS4 to do the same.

just because it works doesn't mean the HDD controller will run it at SSD speeds. No one has mentioned it yet for the ps3. It appears that the XB1 will be using a Hybrid drive so it can get that SSD performance with flash cache

Posted · Report post

No you say?

THEN WHATS THE POINT?

This times ∞

Posted · Report post

In 3-4 years from now, when these consoles are at their half-way point, SSD pricing will become a non-issue. 1-2 TBs for $200 or so, probably even less. So yeah, it'd be nice if Sony thought ahead and allowed us to take full advantage of SSD speeds. If not, then PS5. :(

Posted · Report post

I remember reading where someone put one in their PS3 and did some benches. Sped up load times a far amount in some games. I think they said GT5 benefited a lot.

Posted · Report post

just because it works doesn't mean the HDD controller will run it at SSD speeds. No one has mentioned it yet for the ps3. It appears that the XB1 will be using a Hybrid drive so it can get that SSD performance with flash cache

Unfortunately hybrid drives haven't gotten to actual SSD levels of performance unless you're talking about super cheap off brand SSD's and even then, they're slower (I have hybrids in all my PC's). That being said, they're a much better solution than a standard mechanical drive. For what you pay you're pretty much getting 10K RPM perf for the most part thanks to the flash nand.

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately hybrid drives haven't gotten to actual SSD levels of performance unless you're talking about super cheap off brand SSD's and even then, they're slower (I have hybrids in all my PC's). That being said, they're a much better solution than a standard mechanical drive. For what you pay you're pretty much getting 10K RPM perf for the most part thanks to the flash band.

cant disagree with anything you said.