KOTOR Remake Rumored to be in the works...

skillzdadirecta

Yes please...

According to one, the previously mentioned Knights of the Old Republic remake is back in development. My other source added to that saying they felt it wasn’t so much a remake, but a “sequel” of sorts. It would be a Knights of the Old Republic project that would integrate elements from the first two games in order to bring certain things into the current Star Wars canon. Not necessarily a remake, so much as a re-imagining.

Considering the wealth of material from KOTOR that has already been reintroduced to the canon, this doesn’t seem like it’d be a big stretch to make it work. Unfortunately, that’s about all the details I have right now on this project. So it seems like the original remake has made a return in some form and being retooled.

KOTOT 2 is currently in my gaming queue right now so I am most interested in this news. Most interested indeed.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I never said they did.

The implication in your statement was "Make it a Fallen Order/Action Game" in response to me saying I didn't want it to be turn based, which says to me that if it wasn't turn based then it should just be an action game. If I misunderstood you, my bad.

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I wouldn't mind DA:O or DA:I combat. Or Dark Souls combat. Or Dragon's Dogma combat.

All of these would be good especially DA:O. The main thing I would want would be companions and the ability to build out different character builds for sure. 

The real question is, should they do some shit that allows Jedi at the start? Like, your character wakes with powers they can't explain and they get an old lightsaber from somewhere. Also, forced Male character since Male MC is(was?) canon in the BioWare SWU or make your own? Same with KOTOR 2 if it gets remade. Forced cannon female lead or make your own? 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The implication in your statement was "Make it a Fallen Order/Action Game" in response to me saying I didn't want it to be turn based, which says to me that if it wasn't turn based then it should just be an action game. If I misunderstood you, my bad.

The implication was that if you’re just going to make it an action-RPG with dialogue choices, then just make another fallen order and ramp up it’s RPG elements. KOTOR is team/squad based; that doesn’t typically translate well in an action setting.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The implication was that if you’re just going to make it an action-RPG with dialogue choices, then just make another fallen order and ramp up it’s RPG elements. KOTOR is team/squad based; that doesn’t typically translate well in an action setting.

If they do it like Mass Effect where you have your hero, and can control them in combat, but also give orders to your squad mates it could work. 

Kotor 1 had a fantastic story with great world building elements. Kotor 2 expanded on the universe of Star Wars with great rules and concepts that everyone lived by. But Disney has pretty much rolled back everything Kotor and other Star Wars EU stuff has done and established...

So a remake means we get a Kotor game that undoes what made those first two games legendary? But then a "sequel of sorts" means Kotor 3 will just change what's been successfully set up in the name of "new cannon" scripts?

Sounds like a lose-lose scenario =/

I'd be interested in a complete overhaul. As someone who missed these games when they were new, I've tried to get into KOTOR 1 several times and holy shit has it aged poorly. The gameplay is hot trash, the controls suck, the acting is terrible, the writing is hilariously on-the-nose (at least in the first half-hour, like when your bunkmate wakes up and tells you about yourself like he's reading your bio off the back of a book) and just... bleh. 

I wonder how other people who never played it and gave it a try recently think of the game. Because good god was it not impressive by any metric.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'd be interested in a complete overhaul. As someone who missed these games when they were new, I've tried to get into KOTOR 1 several times and holy shit has it aged poorly. The gameplay is hot trash, the controls suck, the acting is terrible, the writing is hilariously on-the-nose (at least in the first half-hour, like when your bunkmate wakes up and tells you about yourself like he's reading your bio off the back of a book) and just... bleh. 

I wonder how other people who never played it and gave it a try recently think of the game. Because good god was it not impressive by any metric.

I hadn't played it since it first came out and playing it in 2019 it was still great. The beginning is super cliche and bad - but the game gets a lot better and more complex as it goes on, but it takes a big event in the first 8-10 hours for that to happen. It's still a product of its time, but it's considered a classic for a reason. Even when it came out I remembering the beginning being pretty rough. It's obviously aged, but as a current and retro gamer, I enjoyed it a lot still. I welcome a remake for sure, but the original is still solid. I plan on playing KOTOR II this year, in it's old form (with story mods). If going back to old games you haven't played is generally difficult, getting back into KOTOR will take effort, but I still think its worth it. It's definitely a "proto-Mass Effect" feel to it, but it's so thoroughly Star Wars that if you enjoy Star Wars at all, that makes up for a lot. 

4 hours ago, Brick said:

I'd rather have KOTOR III. 

Yes, this. 

14 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I tried it back in like 2010 or 2011. It wasn't good then either. It is so boring, even after Taris. I think I made up to the big reveal and then never beat the game. Maybe it was sooner than that, but I can't remember. My memories of watching someone else play it and me playing it myself have blended together. At the very least I know I became a Jedi and played after that to an extent. 

I played KOTOR when it came out on Xbox and loved it.  It's still the only game of its kind (turn-based RPG) that I've ever completed.  I distinctly remember looking at my save file after beating it and seeing that I'd played it for a total of 48 hours, which I thought was sooooooo long.

I remember it being clunky even back then, but the strength of the game is the accumulation of character moments and story turns rather than the gameplay.  It's the only game I can remember playing where I agonized over dialogue choices, and felt incredibly clever when I negotiated a conversation well.  I'm not particularly interested in Star Wars anymore, so I likely won't play this if it's a "re-imagining", but I definitely recommend revisiting it if you haven't played it and are interested in the concept.

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

All of these would be good especially DA:O. The main thing I would want would be companions and the ability to build out different character builds for sure. 

KOTOR combat is almost exactly the same as DA:O. It's real time with pause, plus you can queue up to three commands on each character. I don't know why anyone would call it turn based, unless people think the Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age games are turn based.

KOTOR is turn based in a sense (your characters have to wait a period after taking an action), but I am  under the impression that “turn based” is just collectively understood to be a traditional you pick actions, they are carried out, the enemy goes, it comes back to you. Again, that sort of IS what happens in KOTOR, but it doesn’t seem right to assign that moniker to it.

8 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

KOTOR is turn based in a sense (your characters have to wait a period after taking an action), but I am  under the impression that “turn based” is just collectively understood to be a traditional you pick actions, they are carried out, the enemy goes, it comes back to you. Again, that sort of IS what happens in KOTOR, but it doesn’t seem right to assign that moniker to it.

“Turn-based” doesn’t mean “paused”. There’s an internal and unseen dice-roll happening with each action, characters wait for the roll (ie: their turn) before attempting the action. In an action RPG, a dice roll may still occur but it’s caused and controlled by the player and is usually limited to damage amounts as dodging/aim is based on hit detection.
There are multiple kinds of turn-based combat, tactical (ie: FF7, Grandia), real-time (pretty much all pre-Mass Effect BioWare games). Not trying to split-hairs or anything, but, if not “turn-based”, I don’t know what else to reference the combat style as.

It’s kinda odd Skillz upvoted your post unless he never played KOTOR and had no idea what I was referencing by “keep it turn-based”. :confused: 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

“Turn-based” doesn’t mean “paused”. There’s an internal and unseen dice-roll happening with each action, characters wait for the roll (ie: their turn) before attempting the action. In an action RPG, a dice roll may still occur but it’s caused and controlled by the player and is usually limited to damage amounts as dodging/aim is based on hit detection.
There are multiple kinds of turn-based combat, tactical (ie: FF7, Grandia), real-time (pretty much all pre-Mass Effect BioWare games). Not trying to split-hairs or anything, but, if not “turn-based”, I don’t know what else to reference the combat style as.

It’s kinda odd Skillz upvoted your post unless he never played KOTOR and had no idea what I was referencing by “keep it turn-based”. :confused: 

I was trying to make it clear that I understood that turn based doesn’t mean paused combat. 

Again, like I said, KOTOR is absolutely turned based as described. But what I’m saying is that the term “turn based” came to mean a specific (yet somewhat ambiguous) thing, and calling KOTOR a turn based RPG doesn’t really meet those parameters. That is what you’re seeing in this thread - people who have adopted that term to mean something specific in their minds and then seeing it applied to something that it doesn’t match up for. And I realize that may be confusing if you don’t have that association, because, like, Final Fantasy 7 qualifies as “turn based” in my head, but you can be killed if you take no action during the combat (in other words it’s not “paused” combat with enemies waiting for you to take your turn). 

I really don’t care what you call it. Wikipedia calls it “round based.” I think my friends and I just eventually started calling that style KOTOR or Bioware-style combat, knowing full well it was not the original game by any means to do its combat like that.