Jump to content


- - - - -

Video/audio of Gabe Newell's lectures at U of Texas Austin

GABEN!

  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SFLUFAN

SFLUFAN

    Lovable Fascist

  • Member
  • 28,564 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

There were two sessions due to demand, we have video of one session and audio only of the other.  The U of Texas AV department is in the process of putting together better videos and will upload them when ready:

https://www.youtube....h?v=t8QEOBgLBQU

Audio of second lecture
There are no such thing as rights, only privileges granted by tyrants. It does not matter what guise these tyrants take -- Gods, Kings, Emperors, Dictators, Presidents, Congresses, Parliaments, Judges, and Juries -- the privileges called rights are doled out and rescinded at the whim of their interpretation of Justice and its unruly stepchild, Law.

#2 Comet

Comet

    9th Robot Master

  • Member
  • 18,814 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Damn, I should have made the 3 hour drive :daydream:
Posted Image

3DS Friend Code: 5343-8030-5769

#3 Dorkter

Dorkter

    Is Jelly

  • Member
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

I should apply for a job at Valve once I have my doctorate.

Even if my odds of getting so much as an interview are slim, I think it's worth trying.

#4 Reputator

Reputator

    Making D1P His Litterbox

  • Member
  • 8,086 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

View PostDorkter, on 31 January 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

I should apply for a job at Valve once I have my doctorate.

Even if my odds of getting so much as an interview are slim, I think it's worth trying.

Sounds really cutthroat even if you get hired.

So this guy is talking about creating an entire user-generated economy that's cross-game and revenue shared and has checks to maintain ownership rights and etc, etc. Then he wants to package it in a user-friendly way that lots of people can do who couldn't necessarily grab a game engine like Source and do it on their own. He says he wants to incentivize this through some sort of currency, which probably means dollars but could be something else. This is a really radical way of thinking for generating game content and my reservations revolve around how do you do this and not make it so attractive and accessible that the economy just collapses from oversaturation. He used Reddit as an illustration for how it can be self-regulated but I'm still really skeptical.
http://1985fm.com
http://reputator.blogspot.com/
"Gamers are impossible to satisfy." - Reggie Fils-Aime

#5 MinnesotaFatz

MinnesotaFatz

    El Contador

  • Member
  • 35,624 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

View PostComet, on 31 January 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

Damn, I should have made the 3 hour drive :daydream:
I didn't make the 10 minute drive :P
DayOneCats

#6 Dorkter

Dorkter

    Is Jelly

  • Member
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

View PostReputator, on 31 January 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

Sounds really cutthroat even if you get hired.

So this guy is talking about creating an entire user-generated economy that's cross-game and revenue shared and has checks to maintain ownership rights and etc, etc. Then he wants to package it in a user-friendly way that lots of people can do who couldn't necessarily grab a game engine like Source and do it on their own. He says he wants to incentivize this through some sort of currency, which probably means dollars but could be something else. This is a really radical way of thinking for generating game content and my reservations revolve around how do you do this and not make it so attractive and accessible that the economy just collapses from oversaturation. He used Reddit as an illustration for how it can be self-regulated but I'm still really skeptical.
I think maybe he's counting on oversaturation being part of it, which is sort of related to his suggestion that our kids or grand-kids will have trouble understanding our belief and expectation that everything we buy will be the same.

I mean, what they are essentially selling is the ability to make/modify something with zero material cost, and minimal training/expertise required. That's going to generate a much finer gradient in goods and services, to the point where almost all purchases are individualized. The least expensive version of anything will be something that anyone could do if they bothered to put some effort into it, but I'd imagine that there will still be a market for that because everyone who wants something won't necessarily be interested in learning how to make it, even if it's a trivial thing to do. Things that are increasingly difficult to do or require more time and energy input to do them will cost more, and there well be some degree of aesthetics that determine the prices on stuff. Some talents will be enough that someone can demand a high (relatively speaking) price to create unique content specifically to their customers desires.

I'm sure the end result won't be something that's quite so nice and clean, but I'm not sure something like the completely collapse of the market due to uncontrollable inflation is necessarily the most likely outcome, no matter how cheap and easy it is to make things. Supply and demand should be enough to support a pretty large economy based upon the sorts of platforms he's talking about.

#7 Reputator

Reputator

    Making D1P His Litterbox

  • Member
  • 8,086 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

View PostDorkter, on 01 February 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

I think maybe he's counting on oversaturation being part of it, which is sort of related to his suggestion that our kids or grand-kids will have trouble understanding our belief and expectation that everything we buy will be the same.

I mean, what they are essentially selling is the ability to make/modify something with zero material cost, and minimal training/expertise required. That's going to generate a much finer gradient in goods and services, to the point where almost all purchases are individualized. The least expensive version of anything will be something that anyone could do if they bothered to put some effort into it, but I'd imagine that there will still be a market for that because everyone who wants something won't necessarily be interested in learning how to make it, even if it's a trivial thing to do. Things that are increasingly difficult to do or require more time and energy input to do them will cost more, and there well be some degree of aesthetics that determine the prices on stuff. Some talents will be enough that someone can demand a high (relatively speaking) price to create unique content specifically to their customers desires.

I'm sure the end result won't be something that's quite so nice and clean, but I'm not sure something like the completely collapse of the market due to uncontrollable inflation is necessarily the most likely outcome, no matter how cheap and easy it is to make things. Supply and demand should be enough to support a pretty large economy based upon the sorts of platforms he's talking about.

Well that's sort of why I hesitate. I just see this horrifically spammy, cluttered mess of a marketplace that makes eBay look like a charity auction for millionaires. Gabe is a genius and I don't doubt that his reasoning goes beyond mine, but I can't help but wonder if they're a bit naive about this endeavor. I mean they had to hire an economist just to comprehend their hat market, and now they want to explode it into something the size of a first-world economy.
http://1985fm.com
http://reputator.blogspot.com/
"Gamers are impossible to satisfy." - Reggie Fils-Aime

#8 Comet

Comet

    9th Robot Master

  • Member
  • 18,814 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostMinnesotaFatz, on 31 January 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

I didn't make the 10 minute drive :P
that's very shameful, you should lose your glorious pc master race card (if you had one
Posted Image

3DS Friend Code: 5343-8030-5769




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users