Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Would you be content if gaming went less big studio types, to more simple, smaller production kind of games?

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Just in the overall grand picture, if big studio type games faded out could you see yourself enjoying games with tons of creativity and less production?

Or would it end gaming for you? Or would you love and it enjoy it just as much as ever?

Posted

I would prefer a healthy mix of both.

I enjoy the indie trend, but those games are incapable of providing as fleshed out of a single-player experience like Skyrim, or a super in-depth multiplayer game like Halo with all of its dev support (saved videos of matches, crazy stat tracking, etc.).

Posted

I do still like the big production games. I mean hell, if i couldnt have games like Assassins Creed, Infamous, Ni No Kuni, X-Com and Xenoblade Chronicles, i'd probably survive, but i think i would actually enjoy gaming less.

Dont get me wrong, i love some of the more "indie" styled games like Terraria, Dungeon Defenders, Orcs Must Die...and other things i cant think of at the moment, but i think i would not be as big of a gamer as I am.

Posted

That's pretty much what I do now. I mostly play indie games and avoid big budget titles until they are under $30 bucks and include all the DLC for the game.

Posted

I love that the smaller games are getting more attention and popularity, but when I want to go online to kill or race thousands of others, I'm glad we have big studios.

We need both.

And Seth, a quick glance makes your sig look like "Lets go Penis!!"

Posted

A good mix is always good, for sure.

I feel that we're getting closer and closer to a place where it's a perfect mix. For too long I think that every studio was trying to make giant AAA games, when that's not necessarily what players want every game to be.

Truth be told i'm very excited for the OUYA

Posted

A good mix is always good, for sure.

I feel that we're getting closer and closer to a place where it's a perfect mix. For too long I think that every studio was trying to make giant AAA games, when that's not necessarily what players want every game to be.

Truth be told i'm very excited for the OUYA

lol.

oh jeez

Posted

lol.

oh jeez

Why cant he be excited for it?

Posted

lol.

oh jeez

An open source gaming platform.

You seriously can't wrap your head around how many doors that could open for gamers and developers?

Posted

What needs to happen is for there to be a healthy "B-grade, mid-tier" segment.

Not every game needs to be a $60 AAAA+ extravaganza and this is what is KILLING developers. Many games have withered and died because they were these B-grade games being offered at AAAA+ $60 prices points.

Posted

Not every game needs to be a $60 AAAA+ extravaganza and this is what is KILLING developers. Many games have withered and died because they were these B-grade games being offered at AAAA+ $60 prices points.

Exactly

Posted

I agree with this also.

Posted

Nail. On. Head.

Posted

I dunno if we're going to get those B games anymore though. The devs suited to make those can't survive in the market anymore - hell even THQ just went down. It doesn't seem as though there is room for those middle ground games, or at least to a significant degree.

I guess I could see some of the indie devs perhaps graduating to bigger budgets over time, but that doesn't really seem to be their agenda in the first place.

Posted

No fucking way.

What does suck is the lack of the lesser games like Psy-ops and what not. I miss the BBB games, but in no way would I sacrifice the big studios to bring those lesser titles back. I don't bother with indie games, why waste my time when I can play kick ass big games like Witcher 2, Halo 4, Skyrim, Batman, Mario, Killzone, Portal, etc.

Posted

Exactly

While charging less than the $60.00 for a B level game would help sales, it probably still wouldn't save it in the long run. When people read reviews or impressions of games, and get the impression it's a B level game, it's always, I'll wait for it to go to the bargain bin.

Biggest problem with the mid level games is just that so many games out there can last an eternity to play. You can play a game like Skyrim for hundreds of hours. Borderlands has lasted me tons of play time. If you are into multiplayer games, Call of Duty, BF3, Halo, all can give you days upon days of playtime. You just don't have time for these mediocre experiences. It's either go big or go home really. If you read mediocre reviews and it doesn't scream, "must play", people just pass on it or wait til it hits bargain bin, which kills smaller more courageous devs.

Posted

I dunno if we're going to get those B games anymore though. The devs suited to make those can't survive in the market anymore - hell even THQ just went down. It doesn't seem as though there is room for those middle ground games, or at least to a significant degree.

I guess I could see some of the indie devs perhaps graduating to bigger budgets over time, but that doesn't really seem to be their agenda in the first place.

The reason is because those games had AAAA+ budgets in the first place which means that they HAD to be priced at the $60 price point even though in reality they were B-tier games.

You mentioned THQ which is very appropriate because the clearest example of this is Homefront. There is absolutely no way that Homefront should have been priced as a $60 AAAA+ title, but it had to be because THQ/Kaos allowed costs to spiral out of control for the game.

I'm pretty sure that if THQ had kept Homefront's budgets under control and priced the game at $45 to $50, then it would have had far greater viability.

Posted

yeah, Homefront was a horrible idea. And I agree, I think the studios themselves are largely to blame.

I think the indie trend has perhaps shown these devs that can't afford to go all out like that that they shouldn't be trying to copy the big guns, but they should have tried to make their own unique games and made responsible financial decisions with marketing and whatnot.

My fear is that they learned their lesson too late.

Posted

I love indie games but I would really miss my big budget titles. It is two different experiences playing indie games vs AAA budget games. There is a time for both.

Posted

That's pretty much what I do now. I mostly play indie games and avoid big budget titles until they are under $30 bucks and include all the DLC for the game.

Same here, I'm all for indie studios to take over.

Posted

Definitely, but I don't want more indie games. I want professional developers with smaller teams and modest budgets, like it was in the past.

Most indie games are wearing thing, aside from a handful of titles a year, and the big budget games are designed for the broadest audience possible. I want smaller, focused experiences that appeal to a specific audience and doesn't compromise on vision.

Posted

I love a good indie game but I enjoy having the choice of playing a big budget game as well. I think we will always have huge AAA games but it will be for established franchises only, we will see publishers take less and less risks with new IPs.

Posted

Not for consoles and handhelds, but for PC and Mac i would cause I have current gen consoles and low-end computers.

Posted

IMO it's heading this direction anyway. With iOS games doing so well and being so cheap to develop and distribute, games could all be this way in another 10 years. Plus with so many longstanding companies going under its more proof that there just isn't enough money there to support big studios and AAA games like there used to be.

Posted

I'm actually surprised we haven't heard of Square Enix being in trouble but they do hit the handheld and iOS market pretty hard.

There latest FF game on iOS got annihilated by the press for how much of a cash grab it is.