- - - - -

Would you be content if gaming went less big studio types, to more simple, smaller production kind of games?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 The_Dude

The_Dude

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.

• 14,708 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Just in the overall grand picture,  if big studio type games faded out could you see yourself enjoying games with tons of creativity and less production?

Or would it end gaming for you? Or would you love and it enjoy it just as much as ever?
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or His Dudeness … Duder … or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

4770k - Z87X - 780 Ti SC w/ACX - 16GB - 27" 1440p

#2 Paperclyp

Paperclyp
  • 13,649 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

I would prefer a healthy mix of both.  

I enjoy the indie trend, but those games are incapable of providing as fleshed out of a single-player experience like Skyrim, or a super in-depth multiplayer game like Halo with all of its dev support (saved videos of matches, crazy stat tracking, etc.).

#3 LionFranco

LionFranco

2014: Year of the Vita!

• 24,851 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

I do still like the big production games. I mean hell, if i couldnt have games like Assassins Creed, Infamous, Ni No Kuni, X-Com and Xenoblade Chronicles, i'd probably survive, but i think i would actually enjoy gaming less.

Dont get me wrong, i love some of the more "indie" styled games like Terraria, Dungeon Defenders, Orcs Must Die...and other things i cant think of at the moment, but i think i would not be as big of a gamer as I am.
Final Fantaxy XIV - The reason all of my other video games are neglected.

Vita, PS4, 3DS, PSP, PS3, PC, WiiU, Wii & 360
PC Specs: AMD FX-8320 8-core, ASUS M5A97 mobo, 8gb DDR3 ram, GTX760 4gb (downloaded) video card, 2x 1 TB HDD's -
Anticipating: Infamous: Second Son, FFX/X-2 Remaster, Toukiden, Drive Club, Starlight Inception,
Freedom Wars, another Dragons Dogma game, Mighty Number 9, etc.
FFXIV: Jeroak Nelave

The Big Bang makes sense concerning the origin of the universe. God does not.
Nothing comes from nothing, God never could.
Evolution is not the problem. God is the problem.

#4 SilverShadow

SilverShadow

The Blood Dragon

• 28,866 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

That's pretty much what I do now. I mostly play indie games and avoid big budget titles until they are under $30 bucks and include all the DLC for the game.
http://www.last.fm/user/Hydro-Thunder

PC: i5-3570K 8GB 660Ti 1TB
Laptop: i7-4700MQ 12GB 765m 750GB

#5 madmankevin

madmankevin

hermergherd destiny teh bestest!

• 13,209 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

I love that the smaller games are getting more attention and popularity, but when I want to go online to kill or race thousands of others, I'm glad we have big studios.

We need both.

And Seth, a quick glance makes your sig look like "Lets go Penis!!"
Posted Image

"Sometimes when I wipe, I'll wipe, and I'll wipe, and I'll wipe, and I'll wipe...  A hundred times.  Still poop.  Still poop.  It's like I'm wiping a marker or something."

#6 Armdnrdy

Armdnrdy

Ninjakitty's fleshlight-equipped robot

• 9,466 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, WI

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

A good mix is always good, for sure.

I feel that we're getting closer and closer to a place where it's a perfect mix. For too long I think that every studio was trying to make giant AAA games, when that's not necessarily what players want every game to be.

Truth be told i'm very excited for the OUYA
Posted Image

#7 bbd23

bbd23
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostArmdnrdy, on 28 January 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

A good mix is always good, for sure.

I feel that we're getting closer and closer to a place where it's a perfect mix. For too long I think that every studio was trying to make giant AAA games, when that's not necessarily what players want every game to be.

Truth be told i'm very excited for the OUYA
lol.

oh jeez

#8 LionFranco

LionFranco

• 24,851 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

View Postbbd23, on 28 January 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

lol.

oh jeez

Why cant he be excited for it?

PC Specs: AMD FX-8320 8-core, ASUS M5A97 mobo, 8gb DDR3 ram, GTX760 4gb (downloaded) video card, 2x 1 TB HDD's -
Anticipating: Infamous: Second Son, FFX/X-2 Remaster, Toukiden, Drive Club, Starlight Inception,

#9 Armdnrdy

Armdnrdy

• 9,466 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, WI

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

View Postbbd23, on 28 January 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

lol.

oh jeez

An open source gaming platform.

You seriously can't wrap your head around how many doors that could open for gamers and developers?
Posted Image

#10 SFLUFAN

SFLUFAN

Lovable Fascist

• Editor-in-Chief
  • 29,114 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

What needs to happen is for there to be a healthy "B-grade, mid-tier" segment.

Not every game needs to be a $60 AAAA+ extravaganza and this is what is KILLING developers.  Many games have withered and died because they were these B-grade games being offered at AAAA+ $60 prices points.
There are no such thing as rights, only privileges granted by tyrants. It does not matter what guise these tyrants take -- Gods, Kings, Emperors, Dictators, Presidents, Congresses, Parliaments, Judges, and Juries -- the privileges called rights are doled out and rescinded at the whim of their interpretation of Justice and its unruly stepchild, Law.

#11 Armdnrdy

Armdnrdy

• 9,466 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, WI

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostSFLUFAN, on 28 January 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

Not every game needs to be a $60 AAAA+ extravaganza and this is what is KILLING developers.  Many games have withered and died because they were these B-grade games being offered at AAAA+ $60 prices points.

Exactly
Posted Image

#12 LionFranco

LionFranco

• 24,851 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

I agree with this also.

#13 Wild

Wild
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Nail. On. Head.

#14 Paperclyp

Paperclyp
  • 13,649 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

I dunno if we're going to get those B games anymore though.  The devs suited to make those can't survive in the market anymore - hell even THQ just went down.  It doesn't seem as though there is room for those middle ground games, or at least to a significant degree.  

I guess I could see some of the indie devs perhaps graduating to bigger budgets over time, but that doesn't really seem to be their agenda in the first place.

#15 AndrewDean84

AndrewDean84

Year of the Gamer!

• 29,492 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

No fucking way.

What does suck is the lack of the lesser games like Psy-ops and what not.  I miss the BBB games, but in no way would I sacrifice the big studios to bring those lesser titles back.  I don't bother with indie games, why waste my time when I can play kick ass big games like Witcher 2, Halo 4, Skyrim, Batman, Mario, Killzone, Portal, etc.
Posted Image

#16 JPSoccer4

JPSoccer4
  • 13,111 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostArmdnrdy, on 28 January 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

Exactly

While charging less than the $60.00 for a B level game would help sales, it probably still wouldn't save it in the long run.  When people read reviews or impressions of games, and get the impression it's a B level game, it's always, I'll wait for it to go to the bargain bin.  

Biggest problem with the mid level games is just that so many games out there can last an eternity to play.  You can play a game like Skyrim for hundreds of hours.  Borderlands has lasted me tons of play time.  If you are into multiplayer games, Call of Duty, BF3, Halo, all can give you days upon days of playtime.  You just don't have time for these mediocre experiences.  It's either go big or go home really.  If you read mediocre reviews and it doesn't scream, "must play", people just pass on it or wait til it hits bargain bin, which kills smaller more courageous devs.

#17 SFLUFAN

SFLUFAN

Lovable Fascist

• Editor-in-Chief
  • 29,114 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostPaperclyp, on 28 January 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

I dunno if we're going to get those B games anymore though.  The devs suited to make those can't survive in the market anymore - hell even THQ just went down.  It doesn't seem as though there is room for those middle ground games, or at least to a significant degree.  

I guess I could see some of the indie devs perhaps graduating to bigger budgets over time, but that doesn't really seem to be their agenda in the first place.

The reason is because those games had AAAA+ budgets in the first place which means that they HAD to be priced at the $60 price point even though in reality they were B-tier games.

You mentioned THQ which is very appropriate because the clearest example of this is Homefront.  There is absolutely no way that Homefront should have been priced as a $60 AAAA+ title, but it had to be because THQ/Kaos allowed costs to spiral out of control for the game.

I'm pretty sure that if THQ had kept Homefront's budgets under control and priced the game at $45 to $50, then it would have had far greater viability.
There are no such thing as rights, only privileges granted by tyrants. It does not matter what guise these tyrants take -- Gods, Kings, Emperors, Dictators, Presidents, Congresses, Parliaments, Judges, and Juries -- the privileges called rights are doled out and rescinded at the whim of their interpretation of Justice and its unruly stepchild, Law.

#18 Paperclyp

Paperclyp
  • 13,649 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

yeah, Homefront was a horrible idea.  And I agree, I think the studios themselves are largely to blame.  

I think the indie trend has perhaps shown these devs that can't afford to go all out like that that they shouldn't be trying to copy the big guns, but they should have tried to make their own unique games and made responsible financial decisions with marketing and whatnot.  

My fear is that they learned their lesson too late.

#19 CheeTo

CheeTo
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I love indie games but I would really miss my big budget titles. It is two different experiences playing indie games vs AAA budget games. There is a time for both.

#20 Chickenstrip you so crazy

Chickenstrip you so crazy

Bobby Nodick

• 4,379 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostSilverShadow, on 28 January 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

That's pretty much what I do now. I mostly play indie games and avoid big budget titles until they are under $30 bucks and include all the DLC for the game.
Same here, I'm all for indie studios to take over.
Posted Image

#21 Bjomesphat

Bjomesphat
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

Definitely, but I don't want more indie games. I want professional developers with smaller teams and modest budgets, like it was in the past.

Most indie games are wearing thing, aside from a handful of titles a year, and the big budget games are designed for the broadest audience possible. I want smaller, focused experiences that appeal to a specific audience and doesn't compromise on vision.

#22 Sabac

Sabac
  • 927 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

I love a good indie game but I enjoy having the choice of playing a big budget game as well. I think we will always have huge AAA games but it will be for established franchises only, we will see publishers take less and less risks with new IPs.
Posted Image

#23 highlevelgamer

highlevelgamer
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Not for consoles and handhelds, but for PC and Mac i would cause I have current gen consoles and low-end computers.
3DS Friend Code:  4253-4308-7602

#24 eventide11

eventide11

When light shines in darkness, the darkness comprehends it not

• 7,705 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

IMO it's heading this direction anyway. With iOS games doing so well and being so cheap to develop and distribute, games could all be this way in another 10 years. Plus with so many longstanding companies going under its more proof that there just isn't enough money there to support big studios and AAA games like there used to be.
Milkshakes are full of creamy goodness.
Ive noticed how people for abortion are already born.

Posted Image

#25 eventide11

eventide11

When light shines in darkness, the darkness comprehends it not

• 7,705 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

I'm actually surprised we haven't heard of Square Enix being in trouble but they do hit the handheld and iOS market pretty hard.

There latest FF game on iOS got annihilated by the press for how much of a cash grab it is.
Milkshakes are full of creamy goodness.
Ive noticed how people for abortion are already born.

Posted Image

#26 SilverShadow

SilverShadow

The Blood Dragon

• 28,866 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

They've got too much money to be in trouble.
http://www.last.fm/user/Hydro-Thunder

PC: i5-3570K 8GB 660Ti 1TB
Laptop: i7-4700MQ 12GB 765m 750GB

#27 RedSoxFan9

RedSoxFan9

Champion of the Sun

• 26,535 posts
  • LocationDanger Zone
  • 3DS FC:4468-1812-4839
  • Steam ID:RedSoxFan9

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Most of my favorite games come from big studios so I'd miss the big studios.  They may not take many creative risks, but they at least can rip off successful ideas from small studios.

#28 Bataar

Bataar
  • 735 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

With the exception of fighting/racing games, epic, single player story driven games are all I play so if the big studios went away, I'd probably drop the hobby entirely.

#29 The_Dude

The_Dude

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.

• 14,708 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

I think itd be ok..lately ive been hitting hard the old school games. Like im replaying Baldurs Gate and this to me is a game that most likely wouldnt require a massive studio, least i dont think, and im in love with the game. The story, atmosphere and music is so engaging.

There was a time when i probably would of said i cant live without big production games, but more and more with how im loving the old style of games that MADE me love games to begin with, im starting to lean towards them at least for now a bit more.

Now im not saying i dont love some kickass gaming, this isnt about that. Its just if big production type games werent coming out anymore, I think id be just as happy. Some of these kickstarter games are also looking so fun, again im not sure how big of a production some require but im sort of meaning with all this that if the big games like halo, assassins creed, god of war etc...if these types of releases became a thing of the past how happy would some of you be.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or His Dudeness … Duder … or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

4770k - Z87X - 780 Ti SC w/ACX - 16GB - 27" 1440p

#30 ktownhero

ktownhero

Strongsauce McGee

• 7,954 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Yep.  Big Studio games generally blow and have ruined the industry, just like they did music and movies.
"The List"
  • foosh aka "It isn't fraud when you get somebody to agree to something with a fake document".
  • TheManFiveGrand aka "My opinions are facts".

#31 Xfactor_Legacy

Xfactor_Legacy
  • 565 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Ouya. Everyone support Ouya.

#32 apoc81

apoc81

Master Race Elite

• 7,124 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

No way, I love indie games, but they are not my bread and butter. I would still game, just a lot less.
Master Race slave driver.

Buy parts->Build->Install windows>Install Drivers->Install Steam->Profit.

#33 Demut

Demut

デムト

• 16,681 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Depends on what you mean by big. Would I miss mega-sized corporations like EA or Ubisoft that own a whole bunch of studios? Fuck no. But I’d still like to have relatively big studios with something between 100 and 200 employees.
Lure the creature into a quiet alley ... and end its miserable rubbery existence!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users