Fox Accepts Disney's $71.3 Billion Offer (Comcast has to make higher bid or Disney's will move forward)

http://comicbook.com/movies/2018/06/20/fox-accepts-disney-increased-bid/

The term "accepted" may be misinterpreted in this scenario. This doesn't mean that Fox is now selling to Disney for $71.3 billion and everything is a done deal. All this means is that the company is officially recognizing Disney's bid as the single best offer on the table. If a better offer isn't made, this will be the deal that moves forward. Comcast still has an opportunity to return with an even higher bid.

I would rather no one buy them. I mean we are talking about One less Major Studio. There is Warner Bors, Columbia, Disney, Paramount, Universal and Fox are the big ones. Either Fox merges into Universal or Disney. I selfishly would only want Disney to get it for the marvel movies.

1 hour ago, Rodimus said:

I would rather no one buy them. I mean we are talking about One less Major Studio. There is Warner Bors, Columbia, Disney, Paramount, Universal and Fox are the big ones. Either Fox merges into Universal or Disney. I selfishly would only want Disney to get it for the marvel movies.

And Lionsgate, though I would categorize Lionsgate and Paeamount more in the “mid-major” category at this point as each has struggled to explode a billion dollars domestically for the last 5 years, while the others have done so regularly.

20 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

The best scenario is for Disney to just buy the Marvel rights from them, and for Fox to use that cash to sustain themselves as an independent studio with other projects. But this will not happen.

Agreed... since it won't happen, I also selfishly want all of Marvel to unite.... also Comcast is horrible, so lesser of two evils and all.

• Like 1

To me this paints a very poor picture for the future of media. Twentieth Century Fox is only selling because even as the ~4th largest studio in the world, they don't expect to be able to compete. The future of media seems to be that either you own such an enormous swath of media that you can't possibly fail (Disney), or you use media as a tool for alternative income streams like ads or internet access (Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, etc.). The final answer might even be 'both'. With the gloves off Comcast and AT&T's merger approved, we're about to see how those giants are able to use their media companies to drive profit in their access divisions while also building up their own ad networks. If that model proves successful, I'd expect to see Disney not far behind.

56 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Interesting that the DOJ's issues seem to be entirely focused on sports. I wonder if Disney would be ok with "new Fox" keep the sports stuff along with Fox news and the broadcast channel.

Well that was head-spinningly fast. 

Trump administration approves potential Disney/Fox merger: Disney will have to sell off regional sports networks to complete Fox merger.

53 minutes ago, Jason said:

Wow.

Typically it's these types of horizontal mergers that get much more scrutiny. The ruling on the AT&T / Time Warner deal felt like a much easier rubber stamp given the vertical nature of the combined company.

8 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Wow.

Typically it's these types of vertical mergers that get much more scrutiny. The ruling on the AT&T / Time Warner deal felt like a much easier rubber stamp given the horizontal nature of the combined company.

Maybe I have the nomenclature wrong, but don’t you have those backwards?

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Maybe I have the nomenclature wrong, but don’t you have those backwards?

I did. Fixed. I'm pretty sure I had the trend correct though. Companies that eat their competitors tend to get more scrutiny than companies that buy into new markets.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I did. Fixed. I'm pretty sure I had the trend correct though. Companies that eat their competitors tend to get more scrutiny than companies that buy into new markets.

Haha, I was like “have I been understanding these terms wrong the last 20 years?!?!”

But yes that is correct regarding the trends!