~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

Oh look, Disney's whole "we're progressive, there are gays in Star Wars!" schtick was easily erased by their more powerful cowardice:

The Rise of Skywalker: Disney cuts Star Wars same-sex kiss in Singapore

Disney has cut a brief scene of two women kissing in the Singaporean version of its latest Star Wars film.

The Rise of Skywalker features the first same-sex kiss in the franchise's history - described by reviewers as "a brief flash of two women kissing... among a crowd of characters".

Regressive countries be worried about:

xTCaEYe.jpg

I watched the RLM review of ROS. I disagree with them entirely on TLJ (they think it was worthless and that "nothing" happened), but I also know that many people watch them so I want to be prepared for the talking points. Anyway, the main guy's theory on how Palpatine is back is very different than mine:

His theory is that the Palpatine we see in ROS is the original Palpatine, and that the one we see in TPM through ROTJ is a clone, one of many that have been used through the past. It's an interesting theory, and makes more sense than the idea that Sheev survived DSII. It has major problems, too, namely that he has been around for 1,000+ years pulling the strings on the Sith. 

Unfortunately these theories being so diametrically opposed is the fault of the movie not giving us any explanation.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I watched the RLM review of ROS. I disagree with them entirely on TLJ (they think it was worthless and that "nothing" happened), but I also know that many people watch them so I want to be prepared for the talking points. Anyway, the main guy's theory on how Palpatine is back is very different than mine:

His theory is that the Palpatine we see in ROS is the original Palpatine, and that the one we see in TPM through ROTJ is a clone, one of many that have been used through the past. It's an interesting theory, and makes more sense than the idea that Sheev survived DSII. It has major problems, too, namely that he has been around for 1,000+ years pulling the strings on the Sith. 

Unfortunately these theories being so diametrically opposed is the fault of the movie not giving us any explanation.

They got most of TLJ wrong, so I'm not surprised they don't get character arcs and story.

Don't even bother trying to understand RLM. 

Also, the theories "not making sense" is the fault of the movies CONSTANTLY explaining to us "Hey, here's the explanation behind this mysterious thing that we originally just wanted you to accept." This blame is placed squarely at the feet of George Lucas and made worse by JJ's constant need to continue it. I swear, Rogue One is the only movie that did this explanation in a compelling way that built on the story rather than detracted from the mystery. 

3 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

That's not why. Oh no! They hate that she's asian! How dare she try and take one of our good black men! 

3 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

This. Her acting was poor, her character as written was poor, and the story was bad. 

Right... because Star Wars fans demand only the highest standards of acting excellence in their movies as seen when they chased Nathalie Portman and Hayden Christensen off the internet because of their poor performances in Attack of the Clo... oh wait! They didn't! We only imagined all of the racist attacks that were thrown at Kelly Tran and those fans weren't pissed at her because of the larger issue of "the black and browning" of their precious Star Wars. They were REALLY upset because her character was poorly written and her acting wasn't up to the demanding standards they've come to expect in a series where 90%of the time characters are performing with muppets. So her exclusion in RoS wasn't due to Disney and JJ Abrams buckling under internet criticism and being VERY careful to try and not invite another backlash... it was because she was being punished for bad acting. In a Star Wars movie :| 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Right... because Star Wars fans demand only the highest standards of acting excellence in their movies as seen when they chased Nathalie Portman and Hayden Christensen off the internet because of their poor performances in Attack of the Clo... oh wait! They didn't! We only imagined all of the racist attacks that were thrown at Kelly Tran and those fans weren't pissed at her because of the larger issue of "the black and browning" of their precious Star Wars. They were REALLY upset because her character was poorly written and her acting wasn't up to the demanding standards they've come to expect in a series where 90%of the time characters are performing with muppets. So her exclusion in RoS wasn't due to Disney and JJ Abrams buckling under internet criticism and being VERY careful to try and not invite another backlash... it was because she was being punished for bad acting. In a Star Wars movie :| 

To be fair if social media existed back when the PT came out in the same way it does today, it would've been a bloodbath.  

Well, the dark side sustaining life for over 1k years seems possible to me, but I don't like the theory at all and I thought it was dumb. I have no theory as to why he is back other than he just didn't die in ROTJ because JJ or Disney wanted him to be the final boss again. 

13 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

To be fair if social media existed back when the PT came out in the same way it does today, it would've been a bloodbath.  

I mean, the Jar Jar guy had considered suicide. And Jake Lloyd was bullied at school for his role in star wars. Doesn't really seem like anything has changed. 

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

The internet existed for damn sure... maybe not Facebook and Twitter but message boards were very prominent. I'm pretty sure I was on IGN back then and while the films were ridiculed, there wasn't a lot of the sexist and racist stuff thrown at the films. Probably because the internet and fandom hadn't turned toxic at that point.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I mean, the Jar Jar guy had considered suicide. And Jake Lloyd was bullied at school for his role in star wars. Doesn't really seem like anything has changed. 

Yeah I forgot about that. And even though he was playing a mo-capped muppet, race STILL found it's way into that conversation as well.

25 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I forgot about that. And even though he was playing a mo-capped muppet, race STILL found it's way into that conversation as well.

It was the method of speech. He sounded like a racist caricature. I’m surprised Disney + doesn’t have a warning message about outdated depictions before Ep I 

8 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I'd hate to break it to you but no one is planning this franchise. 

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

:fap:

Having rewatched the movie last week and watched the climax several times, I always remember what @sblfilms said about the score when he saw an early screening. I think many of us thought TFA had good music, but not super memorable, and he said that TLJ's score cements the scenes with the music (similar to how you can hear the end of ESB's climax in your head along with the scene). And with both The Spark:

And the ending duel, specifically the final minute (timestamped):

I'm pretty sure TLJ has my favorite score of the Saga next to Empire. The Spark is a favorite among a lot of fans, but The Last Jedi (the piece of music that plays in the finale) is so damn good. Great use of Kylo's theme, great revelation, and once Luke vanished, the music just sounds like Kylo's rage and confusion. Seriously great shit.

Something I saw in the comments that I never really thought about: I always loved the "See ya round, kid," line coming from Luke, but I never really connected it to something that sounds like Han. Kylo went nuts when Luke mentioned Kylo's father, and he gives him a Han-like line, plus uses the light saber that Kylo says "belongs to [him]." Talk about using someone's anger against him. <3 

Too great a movie. We didn't deserve it. Well, y'all didn't. I did and I'll deserve his future SW movies. :p 

• Like 1

Having watched Solo again, I'm going with these rankings.

Empire > A New Hope > The Last Jedi > Rogue One > Rebels > Clone Wars > Return of the Jedi > The Force Awakens > Solo > The Rise of Skywalker > Sith > Menace > Clones

The only truly groan-worthy thing in Solo was how he got his name.  RoS just slaps you in the face during the opening crawl and over-delivers fan service where it's not needed. I'll still buy it when it's on blu because I'm a completionist whore. I hope to hell Abrams is never involved in a franchise I give a shit about ever again.

8 minutes ago, johnny said:

ESB

TLJ

ANH

ROJ

TFA

RO

SOLO

TROS

ROtS

AOC

TPM

Attack of the Clones over Phantom Menace, eh? I can see that... Phantom Menace gave us Darth Maul and Duel of Fates so that's why it edges out Attack of The Clones for me which gave us really nothing but bad dialogue and poor CGI in some areas:p

I just finished rewatching Last Jedi and man it's even MORE obvious that JJ dropped the ball with RoS. Rather than attempt to take the story to the next level, JJ focused on repeating character beats that had already been done, Fan service and fetch quests to fill time. Maybe I'm being hard of RoS and need to see it again but at this point I doubt I'll see it again in the theater. I'll see it when it makes it's way to Disney Plus at some point.

30 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

My rankings I think are Empire>New Hope>The Last Jedi(although those could easily swap)>Return of the Jedi>The Force Awakens>Solo>Rogue One>Sith>Menace>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Clones.

I haven't watched Rebels or Clone Wars but that is gonna change.

Here’s how the first three seasons of Clone Wars goes.

Season 1 - This is clearly for kids but it’s a fun, well produced Flash Gordon style thing

Season 2 - They're fleshing out some stuff nicely but I wonder if they’ll run out of steam

Season 3 - Wait what the fuck now this show is about how Palpatine secretly pulled the strings in an attempt to deregulate banks so the Republic would take on more debt to make more clone soldiers thereby becoming more autocratic? And it’s now stanning hard for a regulated financial market and due political process? What?

It’s a trip. 

• Haha 3

Holy shit... IGN has a poll on their page about the Star Wars movies... The trolls are representing

BEST OVERALL STAR WARS MOVIE

1st. Place EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

2nd. Place REVENGE OF THE SITH :silly:

FAVORITE SEQUEL TRILOGY FILM

1st. Place THE FORCE AWAKENS

2nd. Place RISE OF SKYWALKER

3rd. Place THE LAST JEDI

WORSE STAR WARS MOVIE

1st. Place THE LAST JEDI:silly:

2nd. Place ATTACK OF THE CLONES 

reaction. mood facepalm GIF

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Holy shit... IGN has a poll on their page about the Star Wars movies... The trolls are representing

BEST OVERALL STAR WARS MOVIE

1st. Place EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

2nd. Place REVENGE OF THE SITH :silly:

FAVORITE SEQUEL TRILOGY FILM

1st. Place THE FORCE AWAKENS

2nd. Place RISE OF SKYWALKER

3rd. Place THE LAST JEDI

WORSE STAR WARS MOVIE

1st. Place THE LAST JEDI:silly:

2nd. Place ATTACK OF THE CLONES 

reaction. mood facepalm GIF

If ROTS is up there for anything other than the third act lightsaber fighting, I’d be very surprised. Attack of the clones not being worse than TLJ proves they are phenomenal idiots. 

I recently rewatched TPM and AOC and yes TPM has maul and duel of fates (pod racing is cool but shit goes on so long). Some of the AOC stuff is cool but what makes me put it second to last and not last, is literally jar jar. I forgot how prominent he is throughout the whole movie. They both have awful dialogue but I hated my time with TPM slightly more than AOC. 

awesome duel of fates part and BAM cut to jar jar doing something stupid 

and I don’t really care much for the order at the bottom because they’re both so fucking bad. 

• Haha 1