57k people want 'extreme haunted' house closed ('torture chamber' in disguise, need to sign 40-page waiver to enter, can last over 10 hours)

The owner of McKamey Manor said he's a "straight-laced conservative guy" who runs "this crazy haunted house that people think is this torture factory ... All of these things that it’s not."

A haunted house that requires participants to get a doctor's note and sign a 40-page waiver before they enter is facing some pushback online with more than 31,000 people [now over 57,000] signing a petition calling for it to be shut down. 

They also need to show proof of medical insurance, pass a drug test and sign a "detailed 40 page waiver." The haunt can last 10 or more hours.

McKamey told WFLA that before the tour begins people have to watch a two-hour video that shows past participants attempting to get through the entire haunted house.

The Tennessee attraction is so scary, no one has ever completed it, he said.

Towery claims participants have been waterboarded, "forced to eat things" and have had duct tape wrapped around their heads. The petition calls for both locations of the haunted house — in Summertown, Tennessee and Huntsville, Alabama — closed.

"It's literally just a kidnapping & torture house. Some people have had to seek professional psychiatric help and medical care for extensive injuries. I propose that all locations where this is happening be shut down immediately," he wrote.

McKamey said that over the years, people have insisted things happened to them inside the haunted house that never actually took place. He films each tour and shows the participant the footage if they need to see it.

The petition:

he uses needles to inject people with drugs, forces them to ingest pills/questionable items to force hallucinations also.

A reddit post on it a year ago:

And a story from Nashville Scene:

Some visitors might have to swim through a 200-yard muddy trench that’s home to a few caimans, including a 2-and-a-half-foot male named Ralphie. “He’s a biter,” McKamey warns. Others might take a dip in a giant tank full of moray eels that “won’t bite you, but they will wrap around your face.”

You may be exposed to mind-altering drugs or weapons like whips, paintball guns and Tasers. McKamey also apparently has a vast assortment of bugs, including cockroaches, bees, crickets and mosquitos, all waiting to eat and/or be eaten.

But before a contestant makes it through McKamey Manor’s door, he or she must go through the tedious process of reading aloud and signing a 20-plus-page legal waiver that lists more than 100 disgusting, dangerous and disturbing scenarios they may face. 

In the hours it takes to make it through the waiver, he agrees to exposure to extreme temperatures (No. 73), having plastic wrap tightly held over his face (No. 74), and having his hands and feet zip-tied (No. 75). The only thing VanOver won’t stand for — everyone gets to pick two “freebies” — is tooth-pulling and needles. 

One of my coworkers heard of this before we ran a story on it this morning, but this is the first time I've ever heard of this manor. wtf?

So are people just making up shit to excuse their fear if he has video footage of everything going on?

Ok, everything after the Reddit story ads a bit now detail. That seems a bit extreme. I don't think I'd have a problem with much of it as long as there were some safe word to end the experience, if that's what we're calling it.

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

So are people just making up shit to excuse their fear if he has video footage of everything going on?

Ok, everything after the Reddit story ads a bit now detail. That seems a bit extreme. I don't think I'd have a problem with much of it as long as there were some safe word to end the experience, if that's what we're calling it.

Yeah, the original article is more about the petition to end it and the accusations, so I did some more reading to add more context to the whole thing. Guy seems like a sadist, and not in the kinky sexual kind; he just really seems to want to torture people and maybe found a legal way to do it?

13 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

If you are looking for that type of fun, understand what is going on, and sign on the dotted line, no problem, enjoy yourself.

This is where I stand on it.  I mean, it's not like this is new.  The Manor has been running in some form or another for years.  It's pretty infamous and what goes on there is pretty well known.  If you go there, sit through the videos, sit through the hours long warning and waiver sessions, and still move forward with it...well you know what you're getting into at that point. You're asking for it.  Nobody goes there thinking it's just a chill haunted house and gets surprised.

Edit: Though I'm not sure why they call it a "haunted house".  It's more akin to an extreme endurance challenge.

1 minute ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Netflix has the documentary on haunted houses

I appreciate that; I want to check it out now.

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

I just listened to the Stuff You Should Know podcast that mentioned this house.  I find it strange you dont even pay money for the experience. Sounds like some dark web shit to me. 

Maybe by doing it that way, it's not technically a "business" and he can get away with it, but that's just me throwing something out there.

https://youtu.be/vl6CGlBVpCA

From the dude’s YouTube page. Maybe it’s missing some of the really bad stuff, but it doesn’t seem nearly as awful as I would have thought from the stuff written about it.

Either way, I hate being scared so I don’t even like doing those corn mazes for children.

I feel like the fact the thing can go on for as longneck as he wants and he admitted in one of the interviews he doesn’t see anyone ever completing it shows that’s it’s some kind of hustle.  I also think I read somewhere that people think he runs a private sort of gambling group who watches live-streams.

2 hours ago, finaljedi said:

I also think I read somewhere that people think he runs a private sort of gambling group who watches live-streams.

THIS actually makes a lot of sense!

There being a 20k prize if you “make it through” makes me veer a bit more towards shut it down. It makes it too easy to get vulnerable people into his torture chamber. I also am not surprised nobody has made it through since it really just seems to end when he says it does so he can keep going or you just wait until he gets bored torturing you.

And wtf at the tooth pulling?

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

There being a 20k prize if you “make it through” makes me veer a bit more towards shut it down. It makes it too easy to get vulnerable people into his torture chamber. I also am not surprised nobody has made it through since it really just seems to end when he says it does so he can keep going or you just wait until he gets bored torturing you.

And wtf at the tooth pulling?

I think the bulk of that waiver is just part of the gimmick. By making people think they're giving this guy permission to do all these things he mentally manipulates them from the start.

11 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

I think the bulk of that waiver is just part of the gimmick. By making people think they're giving this guy permission to do all these things he mentally manipulates them from the start.

This seems correct.

I showed my wife the Dark Tourist episode about this last night. At first, she said she could do this herself easily. Then, we got to the part where they put cockroaches in one of the person's mouth and she was like "turn that shit off" lol.

3 hours ago, SilentWorld said:

This is what makes me think it’s sensationalized. Is there actually someone out there that agreed at the beginning teeth pulling is okay and is now walking around missing teeth? Can you even legally agree to be maimed like that? 

Sounds more to me like he wants to give the illusion of choice by saying they get "freebies" and then including things everyone would take exception to. 

On 10/30/2019 at 10:43 AM, sblfilms said:

https://youtu.be/vl6CGlBVpCA

From the dude’s YouTube page. Maybe it’s missing some of the really bad stuff, but it doesn’t seem nearly as awful as I would have thought from the stuff written about it.

Either way, I hate being scared so I don’t even like doing those corn mazes for children.

I don’t think there’s any maybe here. Of course he wouldn’t show the more controversial content  on YouTube. I’m skeptical about stuff like teeth pulling too, but all the other experiences I’ve read about sound just awful. The police were called shortly after they moved to Tennessee because wintnees saw a screaming woman being dragged out of her car. Stuff like that would be disturbing to see on video, consensual or not.

And I dunno, maybe I’m too sensitive to other people’s emotions, but that video was VERY hard for me to watch. I couldn’t finish. It’s one thing to see people screaming because they’re getting scared at a haunted house. But this was screams of genuine terror - people actually screaming for their lives. I literally had to a take a long shower afterwards.

6 hours ago, Brick said:

Getting tortured isn't exactly scary in the horror sense of the word. That's not a haunted house; that's a real life legal torture house from Hostel. 

The haunt community hates him because of this. Haunts are about imagination, creativity, and artistry. This is one of that mHe’s not doing it for the love of Halloween and providing safe scares. McKamey literally gets off on seeing people get tortured, and he found a way to do it legally. He gleefully films every tour. He spends hours editing the footage. I’ve been reading a lot about him over the last 24 hours and it becomes more and more clear that he’s a sick fuck.