Tokyo Vice: Season 2 (HBO) - Official Trailer

• 6 months later...

Micheal Mann Discusses shutting down shooting because of the pandemic and resuming production.

Well, first of all, the infection rate at that time was reported to be about 2,000 in the whole country, on March 19. They may have been painting a slightly rosy picture on infections, because they were at that time wanting the Olympics to still happen, and then they gave up on that. The sense of life on the street in Tokyo was that starting in February, half the population was walking around in masks, and they all took the social distancing extremely seriously. And that’s easier to do in a country that has a homogeneous culture and is on an island, and it’s vastly different from this country. But the level of social awareness was already there; if someone gets a common cold in Japan, they wear a mask to not infect other people. Even when we left after March 17, 18, during that weekend, everybody was wearing masks, but the restaurants were mostly full, and life continued as normal. I don’t think it is now, but the reason we left had much more to do with the anxiety of our American crew’s families in the United States, those in New York that had to deal with actual conditions.

We’re in probably better shape than productions that will have to start up. That has to do with insurance coverage, frankly. We have a policy. I think any new production that’s about to begin, the production’s going to be faced with the business affairs side of the studio saying, insurance companies aren’t going to insure us against claims because of COVID-19. They’re going to exempt that. If you were in production and you were interrupted, I think those studios feel secure in continuing. The bigger issue for us is, we want to do it safely, responsibly. There’s going to be new protocols put in place. The DGA is working on those in conjunction with the studios. What kind of testing will go on and what kind of separation, how to shoot a crowd scene. There’s no firm date. I don’t believe there’s much of a playbook. First of all, Japan has barred people from reentering. That has to be lifted. What kind of tests are they going to want? Because, the infection rate in the U.S. is much greater than Japan. So, they’re nervous about us. What kind of separation, what kind of daily testing? I shot six days. I had 12 days left. We have mothballed everything in Tokyo. We’re ready to resume. It’s when we can, and that’s an unknown, determined by all these other factors.

There's a LOT more.

• 1 year later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Michael Mann directed/produced "Tokyo Vice" limited series to debut on HBO Max on April 7
3 hours ago, silentbob said:

This seem to come out of left field for me and then I saw the OP date and was like “what the fuck else did I miss” The movie was so-so but I still have a soft spot after Collateral 

Collateral is money - not so-so. I love that film, excellent movie. Michael Mann is one of the best, very interested in this.

22 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Collateral is money - not so-so. I love that film, excellent movie. Michael Mann is one of the best, very interested in this.

Collateral was in my top 10 maybe even top 5 films that year. I meant that I felt so-so on his Miami Vice movie

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Collateral was in my top 10 maybe even top 5 films that year. I meant that I felt so-so on his Miami Vice movie

Ah okay, that makes more sense. That's a very divisive film, but it has a cult following, of which I am a part, I really like that movie (I prefer the director's cut, which makes the plot more clear, others prefer the "drop you in a day in the life" opening of the theatrical cut, but I like the boat race opening, it's fun). Movie deserves a re-appraisal, but I know a lot don't like it.

Though, to be fair, I think Blackhat is some of Michael Mann's most interesting filmmaking and best action scenes and people really didn't like that one.

I haven’t seen the DC of movie and I think I have a copy of it on HD-DVD but I think was one of them flipper disc with the dvd on the back. What you just said might up my enjoyment for the film with some fleshing out of character/story. I just have too many newer films ahead of it I want/need to view before I watch it again sadly. 

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

I haven’t seen the DC of movie and I think I have a copy of it on HD-DVD but I think was one of them flipper disc with the dvd on the back. What you just said might up my enjoyment for the film with some fleshing out of character/story. I just have too many newer films ahead of it I want/need to view before I watch it again sadly. 

I definitely recommend watching the director's cut (with subtitles . . . it helps lol). It's the perfect "day in the life" of these undercover cops who live on the edge. It's beautifully filmed and has a great soundtrack. It just doesn't have the structure of a typical film, so it throws a lot of viewers off and turns them off from the film.

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tokyo Vice (HBO Max, April 7) - Official Trailer
20 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I never saw the Director's cut of Collateral but I need to track it down. It's a movie I wasn't that impressed by when I first saw it but have grown to love with subsequent viewings. So many subtle touches that Mann does in that film. REALLY looking forward to Tokyo Vice.

Did you mean Miami Vice? Collateral doesn't have a director's cut I believe.

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That looked fucking amazing, I'm all in. Mann is well suited for long form storytelling given his films' long runtimes and what always feel like somewhat truncated plots. Do we know if he's directing every episode or just the first one? I hope he's directing all of them. I can't seem to find confirmation anywhere. The entire trailer looks like Mann-directed stuff to me.

Also can we appreciate the fact Michael Mann just turned 79 and he's still making energetic filmmaking of this level? This had Raid level energy to it for me.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Oh i thought you guys were saying Collateral had a director's cut.

I was confused too at first - silentbob mentioned Collateral and Miami Vice in the same post and I got thrown off at first too. Yeah we were talking about the Miami Vice director's cut, there is none for Collateral. :) 

23 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Did you mean Miami Vice? Collateral doesn't have a director's cut I believe.

That looked fucking amazing, I'm all in. Mann is well suited for long form storytelling given his films' long runtimes and what always feel like somewhat truncated plots. Do we know if he's directing every episode or just the first one? I hope he's directing all of them. I can't seem to find confirmation anywhere. The entire trailer looks like Mann-directed stuff to me.

Also can we appreciate the fact Michael Mann just turned 79 and he's still making energetic filmmaking of this level? This had Raid level energy to it for me.

He only directed the pilot I believe.

• Thanks 1

I’m having a weirdly hard time finding something more definitive than IMDB credits (which can often be wonky for things that haven’t aired yet), but from what I understand Destin Daniel Cretton directed at least most of the season after the pilot, and someone named Hikari maybe did two episodes. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kamusha said:

He only directed the pilot I believe.

Boo, that's a shame, I'll still watch though. To be fair if the pilot is long (say, double length) then it's basically a Mann film.

35 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I’m having a weirdly hard time finding something more definitive than IMDB credits (which can often be wonky for things that haven’t aired yet), but from what I understand Destin Daniel Cretton directed at least most of the season after the pilot, and someone named Hikari maybe did two episodes. 

Well Destin Cretton is no Mann but he's still good so I'll take it I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

That was a very glowing review - that's promising. The review makes clear that Michael Mann directed the pilot, so the rest of the episodes will have to conform to whatever he establishes in the first episode in terms of directing, which is good, though it's a shame he didn't direct more episodes. The review says episodes 2 and 3 are directed by Josef Kubota Wladyka (directed 7 episodes of Narcos, 2 episodes of The Terror: Infamy) and that episodes 4 and 5 are directed by Hikari (directed the really good movie 37 Seconds). Still not sure yet about episodes 6 thru 8 though Daniel Destin Cretton directed at least one from what I can tell (he did the films Short Term 12, The Glass Castle, Just Mercy, and Shang-Chi). But it sounds like the show is really good.