Arrow: 8th and final season [open spoilers]

Jason

I had missed this news that the crossover event will be split between December and January so we will have to wait a month for the last two episodes.

"Crisis on Infinite Earths" begins Sunday, December 8 at 8 pm ET/PT on Supergirl, then continues in Batwoman on Monday, December 8 at 8 pm ET/PT and in The Flash on Tuesday, December 10 at 8 pm ET/PT. After the winter hiatus, the crossover will conclude on Tuesday, January 14 in Arrow at 8 pm ET/PT and in DC's Legends of Tomorrow at 9 pm ET/PT.

https://www.cbr.com/lynda-carter-wonder-woman-crisis-on-infinite-earths-arrowverse/

I had gotten caught up on Arrow, Flash, and Legends up to Crisis on Earth X and then put the series down for about a year and a half.

I was on vacation from work and decided to finally get caught up on all of them, so watched over a season and a half of each. I thought Flash had a really strong season 5. I think Tom Cavanaugh has become my favorite actor in the entire Arrowverse. It's funny how he manages to imbue Reverse-Flash with so much more menace than Matt Letscher even though the latter is the one who has had the bulk of the scenes actually showing Reverse Flash doing bad stuff.

Legends season 4 was fun, as usually with some really memorable moments. I loved Legends of To-meow meow :lol: And the Mick/Ava episode of them hating each other. So many good burns in that scene :lol:

Arrow wasn't great, but at least an improvement over season 6. I thought putting Oliver behind bars for about the first 3rd of the season was a strong choice, and for a show so often chasing it's own tail over Oliver's "growth" obstensibly paying his debt to society and trying to be the Green Arrow in public actually showed some of that growth instead of just talking about it.

Funny that Elseworlds, which I think was probably their weakest crossover looks like it is leading to their strongest. Both Arrow and Flash built the upcoming crossover into their main story in a way they haven't before.

But yeah, I didn't even plan it to synch things up so nicely, but I finished up Arrow and Flash right as their new seasons were starting.

Edit: Also, are there any How I Met Your Mother fans here? Did you notice there have been several actors from the show in the Arrowverse lately? Nora Dark is the big one, but Wendy the waitress was a witness during Flash's trial and the Fairy Godmother was Mrs. Buckminster.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a series spinning off from Arrow once it ends... I'm thinking it's gonna be a show about the kids from the future with Laurel mentoring them. Not sure how I feel about that since I think most of the kid actors are pretty weak. It's interesting to me how the Arrowverse shows have become the most "comic-booky" live action series out there right now INCLUDING the MCU. They have successfully introduced a bunch of comic book concepts that years ago folks would have thought would be too much for a general audience like alternate realities, time travel and multi-dimensional stories. I swear these guys get the DC much better than Snyder and a lot of the filmmakers do. Put these guys in charge of the live action DC universe and let them tackle the big screen too. I like what they're doing and how different it is from Marvel.

13 hours ago, Jason said:

HYPE LEVELS INTENSIFYING

Also, I should probably just start a separate Flash thread, but for right now I'll just say that I fucking love what they're doing with the ramping up the creepy factor.

I am watching the new Flash now. 

Is it just me or has Mohinder not aged a damn day since he was on Heroes?

35 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Agreed. I wonder how long they'll stick around or if they are stuck in the present. DO we have any idea how they got there?

We don't know how they got there but presumably it was the Monitor. Based on the dialogue between Laurel and Dinah teeing up the Green Arrow and the Canaries spin-off (paraphrasing: "a canary network seems like a good idea"/"why wait to get started?") I'm guessing they're going to stay in the present.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

We don't know how they got there but presumably it was the Monitor. Based on the dialogue between Laurel and Dinah teeing up the Green Arrow and the Canaries spin-off (paraphrasing: "a canary network seems like a good idea"/"why wait to get started?") I'm guessing they're going to stay in the present.

Is that what it's gonna be called?! I'm assuming Mia will be the Green Arrow?

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

what's the beef with Felicity? She's come off well in the crossovers.

Bruh, she fucking stole Barry and Iris's wedding at the end of Crisis on Earth-X, how the fuck did you think that was her coming off well?

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Bruh, she fucking stole Barry and Iris's wedding at the end of Crisis on Earth-X, how the fuck did you think that was her coming off well?

Barry and Iris are incest adjacent and I'll never get over that, anyone interrupting any part of it is an unqualified winner in my book. :p

• Guillotine 1

Anyhow a lot could be said about it but basically starting around season 3 she became Oliver's love interest and the show just started becoming more and more about her, and not in a way that was good or interesting or anything. It was especially bad in season 4. So now that she's gone the writers can't write the scenes in a way where she just sucks all the oxygen out of the room.

One example:

Much more than a beloved character died for me in last night's Arrow.

No, Laurel wasn't the only victim of this atrocity. Arrow, the show itself, just jumped the shark so badly I'm not sure it can ever recover.

What a joke. What a bad joke. What a disservice to a character who we've spent the last four seasons getting to know, one of the only characters with a truly heroic arc, going from spurned lover and idealist, to crime-fighting vigilante and stable force in Team Arrow. A character often wasted, given too little screen time, and pushed to the background---but one who deserved better.

And how does she shuffle off her mortal coil? By telling Oliver that she still loves him, but that she's so happy he found Felicity. Her dying words are about Felicity!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/04/07/arrow-is-dead-and-olicity-killed-it/#46cd02472c5a

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah Chase was pretty good. Diaz sucked though.

They had so much dialogue of people talking about being terrified of Diaz but they never really show you why everyone is terrified of him. So it winds up coming off as really hollow. Whereas with Chase we repeatedly get shown how he really is constantly outsmarting Team Arrow. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jason said:

It's not critical, but if you have time before tonight's Flash episode, they did tee up Jefferson Pierce joining the crossover tonight on last night's episode of Black Lightning.

I have it recorded so I'll check it out. I'm still all about Warner's just giving the Arrowverse producers the budgets to do these shows on the scale they deserve. These two parts of this crossover are so well done for longtime comic readers like me and are so different in tone from what Marvel has done. The Arrowverse shows are comic shows that KNOW they are comic book shows and don't even try to convey "reality". That's what DC has always done and why they were so different from Marvel. Both approaches have their place and it's been DC's strength and they should play into that.

As much as I didn't like Superman Returns, I loved Brandon Routh's return as the character and him becoming "Kingdom Come" Superman was awesome. It was also cool to see that basically Christopher Reeves' Superman (Who Brandon Routh Basically is playing) continues to live on. So great. And the quick cameo of the Titans from the DC app show was cool too. WB, if they wanted, could do a big screen crisis where they have cameos from EVERY live action version of their heroes if they wanted and it would EASILY eclipse what marvel was able to accomplish with their Infinity Saga. They have plenty of storylines to pull from to do it.