- - - - -

Ubisoft gives away free copy of Assassin's Creed via UPlay

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 darkness35

darkness35
  • 9,307 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Because obviously it desperately needs people to start using UPlay with its draconian DRM and is struggling as much as EA is.
I am a Sayo.

#2 Scape Zero

Scape Zero

LEGO!

• 16,517 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

Why bother when 100 million people already stole your game?

Am I doing it right?
Posted Image
Ammomule! Keep your ammo cold, and your bacon hot!

#3 Stoneysilence

Stoneysilence

The Lone Porker

• 19,608 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

Since it's free I will "buy" but I doubt I will ever install uplay and play it on the PC.
Posted Image

#4 Kal-El814

Kal-El814

Nuke Handheld

• 12,913 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

Is UPlay on the PC so bad as to prevent people from downloading a free and decent (albeit old) game? I heard it was bad before I got back into the PC scene, but is it that shitty?
When things go wrong, I sing along; it is the nature of the business. But you're not here to make my sad songs more sincere.

#5 Littleronin

Littleronin
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

What do you wanna bet that Yves accuses everyone that takes advantage of this of pirating.
My PC: i7 3820 @ 4.0Ghz, 64GB DDR3, GTX 980 SLI, Corsair Air 540
Son's PC: i7 920, 12GB DDR3, GTX 680 4GB, Corsair Air 540
Spare rig: A8-3850, 4GB DDR3

#6 cusideabelincoln

cusideabelincoln
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

It's really repetitive.  There's no variety in the missions; there's nothing tailored specifically to the different cities you travel to.  There's no (fun) set pieces to break the game up.  But other than that, the mechanics are still solid and the story is intriguing.
TwitchTV, Steam, TF2, BF3, BFBC2, BF2, Xfire, Backloggery, Xbox/GFWLive
| Origin, Onlive, Rockstar SC usernames = cusideabelincoln | Uplay = copperlincoln | NFS Hot Pursuit = cusideabelincoln |

#7 Stoneysilence

Stoneysilence

The Lone Porker

• 19,608 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

View PostKal-El814, on 31 August 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Is UPlay on the PC so bad as to prevent people from downloading a free and decent (albeit old) game? I heard it was bad before I got back into the PC scene, but is it that shitty?
It's just they saw Origin do well so now they want their own client. Just as many predicted. Coming soon to a pc near you, you steam is dead and all pubs have their own clients where you have to buy their games and at full price since there is no competition since all are exclusive to their own clients.
Posted Image

#8 Denbowski

Denbowski
  • 925 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

I just played through Assassin's Creed 2 on the PC. Bought the game through Steam, it launches Uplay to play it. :|

I went to play the game this past Monday and when I loaded up the game my save was from that Saturday. I played about 4-5 hours on Sunday. Uplay totally lost my save thanks to their cloud saving. I ended up turning the cloud saving off and found a game save online from where I left off. I almost didn't want to keep playing it annoyed me do much, but I was very close to the end.

There are tons of threads out there with people losing their saves. Not sure what the deal is, but if you do end up using uplay, disable cloud saves immediately.
Posted Image

#9 Scape Zero

Scape Zero

LEGO!

• 16,517 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

View PostStoneysilence, on 31 August 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

It's just they saw Origin do well so now they want their own client. Just as many predicted. Coming soon to a pc near you, you steam is dead and all pubs have their own clients where you have to buy their games and at full price since there is no competition since all are exclusive to their own clients.

Other than EA being the only one who can actually launch their own DD service and survive not being on Steam.
Posted Image

#10 Chocoburger

Chocoburger

Dreaming of an Absolution

• Newly Registered
  • 6,459 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

There isn't any nasty DRM on the Steam versions of the game, right? :worried: Uplay is just a program to unlock things on console, is it a shitty DRM on PC? :(

#11 RedSoxFan9

RedSoxFan9

Champion of the Sun

• 26,440 posts
  • LocationDanger Zone
  • 3DS FC:4468-1812-4839
  • Steam ID:RedSoxFan9

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

View Postcusideabelincoln, on 31 August 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

It's really repetitive.  There's no variety in the missions; there's nothing tailored specifically to the different cities you travel to.  There's no (fun) set pieces to break the game up.  But other than that, the mechanics are still solid and the story is intriguing.

Yep.  It's a piece of shit.

#12 ManUtdRedDevils

ManUtdRedDevils
  • 3,927 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

The game is really bad.  I didn't like it that much when I played it.  I doubt the passage of time has helped it any.

They are giving the game away so in a few months they can report like EA did, "We have 5 million active accounts".
#LVGWETRUST

#13 rossi_84

rossi_84
  • 179 posts
  • 3DS FC:2638-1392-5733
  • Steam ID:rossi_84

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

DON'T DO IT, ITS A TRAP

seriously though, don't get it

#14 Stoneysilence

Stoneysilence

The Lone Porker

• 19,608 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

View PostScape Zero, on 31 August 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

Other than EA being the only one who can actually launch their own DD service and survive not being on Steam.
What makes you think that will always be the case? People didn't think Origin would work either. Who are the three largest publishers?
EA which has origin.
Activision/Blizzard which has Battle.net.
Ubisoft which now has UPlay.

Blizzard has never been on Steam, EA is slowly distancing themselves from Steam, and if UPlay takes off you will start seeing the same from Ubisoft. Then you also have pressure coming from MS with Games for Windows Live if they push the App marketplace on Windows 8.

Things don't look too rosy for Steam if you ask me.
Posted Image

#15 Scape Zero

Scape Zero

LEGO!

• 16,517 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostStoneysilence, on 01 September 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

What makes you think that will always be the case? People didn't think Origin would work either. Who are the three largest publishers?
EA which has origin.
Activision/Blizzard which has Battle.net.
Ubisoft which now has UPlay.

Blizzard has never been on Steam, EA is slowly distancing themselves from Steam, and if UPlay takes off you will start seeing the same from Ubisoft. Then you also have pressure coming from MS with Games for Windows Live if they push the App marketplace on Windows 8.

Things don't look too rosy for Steam if you ask me.

Its not going to take off.  There is a reason why Ubisoft bitches about pirating, and its because PC gamers dont give a shit about their games, and their shitty DRM.  They buy the console version, or dont buy it.

EA worked because they sell games people care to play.  BF3 is one of the biggest games out, SWTOR was huge (didnt require Origin, but required an account), and Mass Effect 3 was a pretty damn big title as well.  Everything EA makes is a pretty large title.  Ubisoft has like one game thats semi popular*, and thats Assassins Creed.  I am willing to bet most people who dont want to buy something if its not on Steam, wont have much of a problem skipping that one.  BF3 on the other hand...Isnt as easy to ignore.  Same for Blizzards games.

Edit: * On the PC.
Posted Image

#16 Stoneysilence

Stoneysilence

The Lone Porker

• 19,608 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

Deal is over, so if you missed it, tough.  They don't even have Ass Creed 1 listed anymore on their store.
Posted Image

#17 Link200

Link200
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:53 PM

View Postcusideabelincoln, on 31 August 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

This is basically it. The story doesn't pick up until about the last 30 minutes and then it ends.
Posted Image

#18 sumofty

sumofty

Resident Douchebag

• 2,018 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

Long story short: Origin only ever survived because it has battlefield 3.
UPlay has nothing, and will die unless there is a true AAA title exclusive only to it

#19 SilverShadow

SilverShadow

The Blood Dragon

• 28,776 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:32 AM

View Postsumofty, on 02 September 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

UPlay has nothing, and will die unless there is a true AAA title exclusive only to it

Posted Image

Needs deal with it text.
http://www.last.fm/user/Hydro-Thunder

PC: i5-3570K 8GB 660Ti 1TB
Laptop: i7-4700MQ 12GB 765m 750GB

#20 Stoneysilence

Stoneysilence

The Lone Porker

• 19,608 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:49 AM

View Postsumofty, on 02 September 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

Ass Creed 3?

EDIT: It's not exclusive but could very easily require Uplay's installation giving them a huge userbase to work with and Ass Creed 4 or whatever could be limited to Uplay to try to leverage that user base just like Origin did with BF3.
Posted Image

#21 Scape Zero

Scape Zero

LEGO!

• 16,517 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:51 AM

View PostStoneysilence, on 02 September 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

Ass Creed 3?

Like he said, unless there is a AAA exclusive on it, it will die.
Posted Image

#22 cusideabelincoln

cusideabelincoln
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:04 AM

You have to use Uplay to play Assassin's Creed (and SC: Conviction) on Steam anyway.  I doubt they offer the game exclusive through Uplay but I bet they will offer exclusive downloadable content.  They already offer exclusive downloadable content for their games but they don't charge money for it; they charge credits which you can earn by completing achievements.  So they aren't far off from just charging money for these things.
TwitchTV, Steam, TF2, BF3, BFBC2, BF2, Xfire, Backloggery, Xbox/GFWLive
| Origin, Onlive, Rockstar SC usernames = cusideabelincoln | Uplay = copperlincoln | NFS Hot Pursuit = cusideabelincoln |

#23 darkness35

darkness35
  • 9,307 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

View PostSilverShadow, on 02 September 2012 - 12:32 AM, said:

Posted Image

Needs deal with it text.

No, it's gangnam style you moron :P
I am a Sayo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users