* * * * * 2 votes

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 klaytonix

klaytonix
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

I'm wanting to support this via kickstarter and would like to buy a 4-pack for $75 which also includes early/beta access. This 4 pack includes 4 Steam keys to the game and early access to the beta for each copy.

http://www.kickstart...edieval-warfare
http://www.chivalrythegame.com/

If 3 others want to support it, I will give them away for $15.

PayPal is how I'm taking payment :)

#2 rc0101

rc0101
  • 9,643 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

I would  go in for 15, PayPal?

#3 klaytonix

klaytonix
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

View Postrc0101, on 20 August 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

I would  go in for 15, PayPal?

PM Sent

#4 klaytonix

klaytonix
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

copy 1: me
copy 2: rc0101
copy 3: OPEN
copy 4: OPEN

2 copies still open if anyone is interested.

#5 ZeroHour

ZeroHour

PC MASTER RACE

• 466 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

this looks awesome i have 15$ pm me

#6 klaytonix

klaytonix
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostResist, on 20 August 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

this looks awesome i have 15$ pm me

PM sent :)

#7 Galacticus

Galacticus

I liked PC Gaming before it was cool.

• 3,565 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

This is actually the retail release of the HL2 mod called Chivalry, but the game was 100% recreated for the new engine so it's essentially Chivalry 2.

I pre-alpha tested this game with about 9 other people over a year ago and unfortunately got kicked from the alpha team when I couldn't put in the outrageous hours the required to test their game (for free). Anywho, I'm SUPER excited about this game because I'm a huge fan of the HL2 mod, I think it's going to make a lot of people happy when it finally comes out.

Having played Chivalry (to some capacity) and currently playing the War of The Roses beta I can say that there is room for BOTH games in your library. Chivalry is very much a fast paced action game and WoTR is more of you're methodical super-realistic M&B style game.
Posted Image
I just bought a PS4, add me bitches. PSN: BenSanborn

#8 klaytonix

klaytonix
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

Ok 3 are reserved, 1 left.

copy 3: Galacticus
copy 4: OPEN

#9 Galacticus

Galacticus

• 3,565 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

I think people are going to wish they took part of your deal...because it will NOT be a $15 game on Steam.
Posted Image

#10 Spork3245

Spork3245
  • 7,180 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

I'm in for it. Looks fun. PM me. Paypal is good, right?
No talent becomes a legend on their own. Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breathe their final breath... And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence and his spirit will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory of those who honor him... And it will make the running that the man did live on forever. -Ultimate Warrior

#11 klaytonix

klaytonix
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

View PostGalacticus, on 20 August 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

I think people are going to wish they took part of your deal...because it will NOT be a $15 game on Steam.

Yeah, I think it's a good deal for $15.  With it you'll get the steam version of the game and also early access to the Beta :)

I never played the mod version of this, but it does look to be pretty intense.  I am curious how this plays vs War of Roses and Warband.

@Galacticus - how do you think it compares to War of Roses and Warband?

#12 Galacticus

Galacticus

• 3,565 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

Alright so here is the scoop on M&B (Warband) vs. War of The Roses vs. Chivalry and keep in mind that my experience with Chivalry is a year old and it was from an alpha.

Mount and Blade is of course a 3rd person action RPG that has had many iterations over the past years. In terms of combat, it's a moderately based third person combat which relies heavily on direction based (up,down,left,right) attacking, direction based blocking, archery, and mounted variants. The only physics modeling in M&B games is gravity.

War of The Roses is essentially the natural evolution of Mount and Blade. Imagine Mount and Blade with an extremely detailed physics engine where the mass of your weapon, the momentum of your players model (whether it be body momentum or swinging momentum), and the type of weapon you used actually mattered and were taken into account. if I hold W to move forward and start to pick up forward momentum and swing my sword vertically, the force of my body and the power of that swing are actually taken into account. Hitting opponents with the wooden hilt of a weapon does hardly any damage, and the customization of my character down to the very type of shape of weapon is entirely critical to success. Now imagine this system with archery and mounted combat, and an armor system that actually has WORKING shields and armor. If you're a heavily armored soldier with a helmet you can even press V to pull down your visor. It will block 80% of your vision, but you'll take a hell of a lot more damage to the head and will potentially save yourself from an arrow to the dome. I say that WoTR is the natural evolution of M&B because it is incredibly skill based but it also has an excellent leveling system with VERY deep customization.....like a level of customization that people have never had in any melee game. Did I mention that it has horrifically brutal executions seen in first person of the player being executed, genuine teamplay mechanics, and a pretty graphics engine?

Alright so now I've got you all worked up on how good War of The Roses is at being Mount and Blade 2.0 and you're saying to yourself "Oh well that's great, but what if I prefer first person shooters and faster combat than Mount and Blade?" If you are saying that, you're in luck my friends....because the name of that game is Chivalry.

Chivalry started out as a free Halflife 2 mod (which you can actually download and play through Steam, today) and is being released as a completely 100% remade game on Unreal Engine 3. It's an incredibly brutal first person melee/archery game that is as fast as any other modern shooter but also has some very skill based directional attack and block combat like M&B/WoTR. It also features decapitations and dismemberment, and focuses on attack & defend maps. I haven't played it for a year, but I'm definitely buying it, as you can tell from this thread.

In the end, I can easily see myself playing both WoTR and Chivarly on a daily basis. They are both incredibly different and meet entirely different gaming styles.
Posted Image

#13 klaytonix

klaytonix
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

Ok all 4 copies are reserved:

copy 3: Galacticus
copy 4: Spork3245

#14 klaytonix

klaytonix
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

@Galacticus

Very interesting.  I do like the style of M&B so I'll have to check out WoTR as well!  I do also have fun with faster paced action games though, so I agree with you saying that they'll all have their place.  WoTR looked to be more fast-paced than M&B.. based on the videos I saw.  But it sounds like that might not be the case.

#15 Galacticus

Galacticus

• 3,565 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

It's a little more fast paced, but the movement speed is momentum based.

There are also sprint/bum rush like abilities and squad perks that you can build up and "shout".

The mounted moving speed is way faster than m&b
Posted Image

#16 VisualDeadlock

VisualDeadlock

Warlord

• 339 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:54 AM

im really looking forward to war of the roses.  too bad im in HK and thus i doubt i'd find any good latency servers to play with my american friends.  I doubt Hong Kongers/Asians will be into WoTR that much.

#17 klaytonix

klaytonix
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:41 AM

Hey.. just sent you guys your Chivalry codes.

Let me know you got them.. and also your steam name :)

#18 Galacticus

Galacticus

• 3,565 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

Are we now in the beta? It just let me download a 2.2GB client.

In about 8 minutes I can confirm.
Posted Image

#19 Galacticus

Galacticus

• 3,565 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

We're now in the beta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

#20 Spork3245

Spork3245
  • 7,180 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

View Postklaytonix, on 16 September 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

Hey.. just sent you guys your Chivalry codes.

Let me know you got them.. and also your steam name :)

Spork3245
No talent becomes a legend on their own. Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breathe their final breath... And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence and his spirit will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory of those who honor him... And it will make the running that the man did live on forever. -Ultimate Warrior

#21 Galacticus

Galacticus

• 3,565 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

First off: I absolutely highly recommend that those that play this game do the tutorial. This game has some tactics that you must be TOLD and are very hard to learn on your own.

This game has come so far since the alpha a year ago, it's quite amazing. Right now it's a bit buggy and all of the servers appear to be European, but that shouldn't be too hard to fix ;)

I took a few screenshots:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 Galacticus

Galacticus

• 3,565 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

The combat in this game seems very simple when you first start but it is actually very sophisticated.

RMB = Block (timed properly)
LMB = Attack 1 (slash)
Scroll Up = Attack 2 (forward stab)
Scroll Down = Attack 3 (overhead)
F = Kick
Q = Cancel Attack (You can feint and fake people into blocking early)
Plus you can chain some of those attacks together for combos.
ALSO two of the 3 melee classes have their own 4th special attack. Vanguard can do a sprint charged attack and the light armor guy can actually double-move dodge attack.

I mean really..this shit is GOOD. It does not use directional attacking/blocking like M&B/WoTR.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Galacticus

Galacticus

• 3,565 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

@Lucian04
@SFLUFAN
@kairotic
Posted Image

#24 Galacticus

Galacticus

• 3,565 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention, this game has an awesome attack/defend seige mode that is completely objective based.

And I'm not talking "get to point A so you can advance to point B".

You have to murder peasants, set buildings on fire (by throwing it), move battering rams to break open doors, blow up walls with catapults, position ladders to overcome a castle wall. It's really great stuff.
Posted Image

#25 ZeroHour

ZeroHour

PC MASTER RACE

• 466 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

managed to get a key from the official chivalry forums. add me to steam!

#26 SFLUFAN

SFLUFAN

Lovable Fascist

• 28,820 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostGalacticus, on 16 September 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

You have to murder peasants

Game of the Century!
There are no such thing as rights, only privileges granted by tyrants. It does not matter what guise these tyrants take -- Gods, Kings, Emperors, Dictators, Presidents, Congresses, Parliaments, Judges, and Juries -- the privileges called rights are doled out and rescinded at the whim of their interpretation of Justice and its unruly stepchild, Law.

#27 kairotic

kairotic

SELLING FREE SHIT FOR $50!

• 2,606 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

Why do I hate this guy so much?

#28 Galacticus

Galacticus

• 3,565 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

he IS very easy to hate.
Posted Image

#29 klaytonix

klaytonix
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

View PostSFLUFAN, on 16 September 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Game of the Century!

Haha!

@Galacticus Can't wait to play it!  Thanks for the impessions!

#30 Galacticus

Galacticus

• 3,565 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

I said it during the alpha and I'll say it again, the mappers for Chivalry are godly.

This game has some of THE best maps I've ever played on, like Q3A and UT level of epicness. The detail is uncanny, and puts large studios to shame.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 Spork3245

Spork3245
  • 7,180 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

Got mine, played a little, but does the online not work yet? Nothing shows up on the server lists?

#32 Galacticus

Galacticus

• 3,565 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

Well, it is a beta. Could be down, I'll check in an hour or so when I go back upstairs.
Posted Image

#33 SilverShadow

SilverShadow

The Blood Dragon

• 28,776 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

Those screens look awesome.
http://www.last.fm/user/Hydro-Thunder

PC: i5-3570K 8GB 660Ti 1TB
Laptop: i7-4700MQ 12GB 765m 750GB

#34 Spork3245

Spork3245
  • 7,180 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

View PostGalacticus, on 16 September 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

Well, it is a beta. Could be down, I'll check in an hour or so when I go back upstairs.

That's what I thought at first but this was about 5 or so hours ago and it's still not working. :(

#35 Galacticus

Galacticus

• 3,565 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

View PostSpork3245, on 16 September 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

That's what I thought at first but this was about 5 or so hours ago and it's still not working. :(

Uhh I was playing 3 hours ago, try checking your Steam files or seeing if you have any filters set. Windows Firewall?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users