Star Trek: Picard - update: renewed for second season

So this basically confirms that the Picard show is why Spiner bailed on Supergirl, right?

Also, from reddit:

Seeing her and the borg cube makes me think the mystery girl / macguffin is a borg / human hybrid.

My guess is she's the queen. Grows up invents the tech, travels back in time, assimilates a bunch of folks. Bam. Birth of the Borg.

2 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Man, I loved that! Can’t wait! Seven, Data, Picard, confirmation of Riker and Troi at the comic-con panel. Badass!

I hope we get another scene of fat Riker being shaved by his imzadi.

• Haha 1

Interesting tidbit, the actor who played Hugh was on the panel. So expect the return of a Borg named Hugh.

Some of my thoughts.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

So this basically confirms that the Picard show is why Spiner bailed on Supergirl, right?

Also, from reddit:

I also considered her potential as queen. That idea you mention has hints of their origin as told in the Destiny trilogy(which is obviously not canon, but writers have borrowed from the secondary sources before).

But I was thinking of her as maybe a potential as a queen for a Borg race in decline. What if Picard, reeling from the destruction of one of his greatest rivals he failed to save, decides his redemption lies in helping his greatest enemy?

The inclusion of Hugh and Seven could hint at some form of redemption for the Borg themselves.

Also wondering if two things in the trailer were meant to be memories or present day. The shot of B4 disassembled and the shot of the Picard Day banner.

If the B4 shot is current, that definately suggests he has not come as far as we would have hoped in the intervening years. I would say the final shot shows at least a little more self awareness than B4 at the end of Nemesis, but the lines are cryptic enough that it may not be much(calling him "captain" may suggest B4 still has a childlike understanding of what is going on.

Which is to say....what if Picard finds out that the Borg have some kind of technology that could augment or unlock the potential for B4 to become Data?

Anyway, this confirms almost everyone we care about from TNG. Picard, Data, Riker, Troi, and Seven is a great addition from Voyager(just need to add Joe and you got their two best characters).

That just leaves Worf and Geordi. Would be nice to have Crusher, but if any character isn't going to make the cut I wouldn't lose much sleep over her.

Anyone notice in just the small line she got Seven has obviously integrated much more back into humanity in the intervening years? Much more warmth and jocularity in her character.

Did anyone catch that it was Marina Sirtis's voice over that said "sometimes I worry you forgot who you are" when the Picard banner was onscreen. They kind of hid it because it then shot to a different character saying "because we haven't". But listen close and that is almost definitely Sirtis's unique accent.

I am so friggin excited. In my opinion, everything they are showing is confirming that they respect the source material and understand who the Picard character is. This will not be dark, gritty Trek just for the sake of being dark and gritty. It is an impressive amount of dedication to go out and get the actual actor that played Hugh, who could have very easily been recast under makeup. It gives me a lot of confidence that they will treat the characters right.

Not storyline-wise, but as far as aesthetics go is anyone else getting a strong Gambit vibe from the ragtag group of younger crew Picard is assembling? Which I kind of expected from the early descriptions, but seeing it onscreen really gives me that vibe.

So the long hair pointy ears is a Vulcan, and the short hair pointy ears is Romulan. Is that what you guys got? Was the woman who appeared to be an antagonist Romulan? That's kind of what it looked like to me. And that swarm of ships...didn't really look like anything we have seen in Trek. Their design kind of looked Romulan, but the coloring was off.

One bummer is that it looks like it slid to 2020. With the Orville moving to later in 2020 and Discovery starting to film well after Picard that leaves one to wonder if we are going to get any new space shows in 2019.

I am going to be rewatching this trailer so much.

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

Are the ships at 0:56 Romulan or Klingon?  I'm thinking Klingon.

The design doesn't look Klingon to me. I thought the design looked more Romulan, but the coloring is off. The coloring looks more Klingon or Cardassian.

Maybe the destruction of Romulus led to some kind of cultural integration that would explain such a mixing.

20 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

The design doesn't look Klingon to me. I thought the design looked more Romulan, but the coloring is off. The coloring looks more Klingon or Cardassian.

Maybe the destruction of Romulus led to some kind of cultural integration that would explain such a mixing.

All speculation that I'm seeing points to them being a new generation of Romulan warbirds.

The trailer hit me in the feels and also made me a bit worried. I hope this series isn’t too heavy on action. The best Picard episodes are when he’s using diplomacy and his wits. 

I was hoping they’d just de-age Spinner, and not put make up on his fat face. 

But it who knows. Maybe B4 has a lower metabolism than Data. :p

7 hours ago, elbobo said:

I wouldn't read anything into the last shot at this point, it could be on a holodeck with Picard visiting a replica of Data because he likes talking to him for all we know. 

I don't have a link to the video atm, but there's an interview put there where Brent Spinner days it's  B4 in the drawer and Data at the end. 

20 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

If the B4 shot is current, that definately suggests he has not come as far as we would have hoped in the intervening years. I would say the final shot shows at least a little more self awareness than B4 at the end of Nemesis, but the lines are cryptic enough that it may not be much(calling him "captain" may suggest B4 still has a childlike understanding of what is going on.

It's Data who spoke to picard, and if Picard took command of a ship, he is a captain, regardless of actual rank or status. 

On 7/20/2019 at 8:37 PM, SFLUFAN said:

Are the ships at 0:56 Romulan or Klingon?  I'm thinking Klingon.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:42 PM, Chairslinger said:

They look similar to Romulan Ha’apax class Warbirds. 

• 2 months later...

New trailer for Picard.

I have a hard time putting into words how excited I am for this.

January 23rd. 

Here in a couple of weeks I am going to start a rewatch of TNG that will make a pace of about two eps per day put me on pace to finish it when Picard releases.

I have to say that despite being worried about, and often critical of, new Trek I am not even worried about Picard at all. Even if not for a strong story to tell(which I think there is every indication there is) I will enjoy this show. Just seeing the TNG cast back together is amazing.

Knowing how close they are in real life, and how they've kept that tight knit group together for 30+ years makes it even more special.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought the episode was fantastic. Several times it gave me chills. I've made no secret that I am going to love this show no matter what, but I think the episode set a good tone for some fan service  but also a strong base to move the story ahead in a way that is interesting all it's own.

I think people worried when Stewart said this would be a "different" kind of Star Trek, thinking of how Discovery is different. But, not surprisingly with Stewart involved with the story, the show quickly puts to bed any worries that this isn't Picard imho. He is living a different life, but this is still the Jean Luc Picard we know. A small detail from the beginning of the episode really made me feel this(and TNG was always so good at making these small moments that mean a lot).

Spoiler

Picard is giving an interview, and it's clear there is still a lot of bitterness on all sides about the Romulan evacuation and the Synth attack on Mars. Picard blames Starfleet for calling off the evacuation out of fear, and some blame Picard for threatening the Federation's security to help an enemy.

The interviewer starts becoming confrontational about the decision to help Romulans and Picard says there were millions of lives at stake, and she responds "Romulan lives", and Picard responds with the perfect mix of saying something he feels should be plainly obvious, but understanding he is impressing this point to those who don't agree, "No. Lives."