Visceral had some cool ideas for Dead Space 4 (Eurogamer)

I would have really liked to have seen something with the origins of the Necromorphs. The story got ridiculous in 3 though. It definitely needed to be toned down a bit.

To be fair though, EA had a lot to do with why DS3 failed as a title. A story about Issac's psychosis sounds a lot more interesting than giant zombie moons.

I'm glad they acknowledge the issues with the crafting system in 3 because that was a huge problem. Once you have an OP weapon you don't really use anything else. Would have been better if you could just tweak existing weapons with mods that would change secondary fire or make enemy variety larger with more weaknesses so that one weapon doesn't demolish everything. 

It's sad to think that even if we do get a Dead Space 4 at some point in the future it will most likely follow suit with 3 rather than its predecessors. I can't see EA supporting a smaller horror genre, instead making it into an action game that will not satisfy fans and cement Dead Spaces death (if it hasn't already come).

@Nokt - Dead Space suffered from a fundamental problem in this industry that I call the "escalation trap".  This when a franchise's sequels are essentially forced to "escalate" the stakes involved to such a ridiculous degree that the game defies even a generous sense of suspension of disbelief.  This is exactly what happened to Dead Space where Isaac's more meaningful personal story was swamped by whatever the hell the narrative become by Dead Space 3.

Dead Space isn't the only EA franchise to suffer from this, however.  By far the most notable example of this is the Mass Effect series.  Mass Effect essentially started off immediately with an existential threat to the galaxy which meant that there wasn't even an opportunity to gradually ease into the "escalation trap".  The resolution of that series was effective doomed from the start to be an unsatisfying "deus ex machina".

On 7/13/2018 at 7:28 PM, SFLUFAN said:

@Nokt - Dead Space suffered from a fundamental problem in this industry that I call the "escalation trap".  This when a franchise's sequels are essentially forced to "escalate" the stakes involved to such a ridiculous degree that the game defies even a generous sense of suspension of disbelief.  This is exactly what happened to Dead Space where Isaac's more meaningful personal story was swamped by whatever the hell the narrative become by Dead Space 3.

Dead Space isn't the only EA franchise to suffer from this, however.  By far the most notable example of this is the Mass Effect series.  Mass Effect essentially started off immediately with an existential threat to the galaxy which meant that there wasn't even an opportunity to gradually ease into the "escalation trap".  The resolution of that series was effective doomed from the start to be an unsatisfying "deus ex machina".

Its sad to see such great franchises fall to such stupidity. Its got to be frustrating as a developer to want to create your vision and your parent company saying no it wont sell.

I think if anything looking at the success of Hellblade it shows the potential for what the true Dead Space 3 would have been.

Hopefully both series have a chance to redeem themselves in the future, but unless EA changes their game plans I don't foresee their successor games faring any better.