Does Soy Really Cause Man Boobs?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 SlamWolf

SlamWolf
  • 32,435 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

http://www.mensfitne...cause-man-boobs

I've recently become a vegetarian, so I'm eating a pretty soy-heavy diet. But I've heard too much soy can cause man boobs in a lot of guys. Any truth to that?
— Tom N., Colorado Springs, CO

Well, all men have breasts, but what you're referring to are BIG breasts as in "man titties," "Andro-Jugs" or "tasty man treats." The medical term for large breasts in a male is "gynecomastia" ("gyneco" = ladylike, "mastia" = boobies). There are a ton of causes for gynecomastia including obesity, genetics and hormones. In addition, certain medications like cimetidine (Tagamet, a medication for acid reflux) and marijuana (well, marijuana is considered "medicine" in some states . . . not where I'm from, dammit, but that's another issue) can also cause breast tissue growth. So where does soy fit in?

Soybeans are a rich source of a set of molecules called "isoflavones." These substances have weak estrogen (female hormone) activity and have been used for years as "natural" remedies for hot flashes in menopausal women. Since male transgender patients take estrogens to stimulate breast growth, it has been assumed that soy might have the same effect. This appears to be a myth, or at least is not supported in the medical literature.

Probably the greatest amount of research on the long-term effects of soy has to do with soy infant formulas. Some kids can't tolerate regular formula and get switched to formula derived from soybeans and they'll drink this stuff from infancy to one-year of age and beyond. Some kids are raised on soy milk instead of cow's milk their whole lives. A 2004 Italian study of kids raised on soy protein formulas showed no gynecomastia, no early puberty, no changes in their bones and no other signs of screwed up hormones.

I should point out that searching "soy and gynecomastia" in the National Institute of Health database only spews out three articles, but you'll be happy to know that the reproductive tracts of male macaques were not adversely affected by ingesting soy. There is one interesting case report of a 60-year-old man who developed big ol' hooters and presented to a gland clinic for an answer. His gynecomastia eventually went away when they discovered he was drinking 3/4 of a GALLON of soy milk A DAY and told him to cut it out. With all the millions of people who ingest soy daily (there are countries where soy is a staple of the "normal" diet) the fact that there is one case report of one guy whose breast tissue was sensitive to soy products is reassuring to me.
"What is wrong with you people?" - SFLUFAN

View PostEveryman, on 10 April 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

I'm on the lower rung of the loser ladder.

#2 Kaitlyn_Bykova

Kaitlyn_Bykova

Russia > Finland

• 20,156 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

Not sure why this needed a CEB thread but alright.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Alpha1Cowboy, on 23 November 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

KB....go ahead and throw one more passive aggressive remark at me.

#3 Jason

Jason

Rabinically Certified

• 52,334 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

View PostKaitlyn_Bykova, on 28 May 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

Not sure why this needed a CEB thread but alright.

Frightwolf needs to keep up his #1 author status SOMEHOW
Our liability coverage is zero. Our balls, however, are enormous.

Alf likes my dick. I can have him forward it to you.

View PostEngel, on 22 April 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

This isn't the way to go about it though Biggie.  Unlike being gay like @LionFranco , trans like @ Kaitlyn_Bykova , a woman like @Linda05 , or fat like @Biggie_Rich there is nothing inherently wrong with Jason being Jewish.  Now if he uses his Jew abilities like superior money management, superior legal acumen, or by calling the secret number he has for the AIPAC that controls the US or any other similar organization around the world, or his razor sharp hook nose to harm others then you can deride him for being a Jew.

Look Biggie, I'm sorry you can't see your own dick but insulting Jason like that just isn't the way to do things.  Remember his people rule the world, he can get you.

#4 Kaitlyn_Bykova

Kaitlyn_Bykova

Russia > Finland

• 20,156 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

Just seems more relevant on the life board.

For what it's worth once I started eating heavy amounts of soy I got bigger breasts :daydream:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Jason

Jason

Rabinically Certified

• 52,334 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostKaitlyn_Bykova, on 28 May 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

Just seems more relevant on the life board.

For what it's worth once I started eating heavy amounts of soy I got bigger breasts :daydream:

Wouldn't that be a desirable outcome for you though? :P

This isn't the way to go about it though Biggie.  Unlike being gay like @LionFranco , trans like @ Kaitlyn_Bykova , a woman like @Linda05 , or fat like @Biggie_Rich there is nothing inherently wrong with Jason being Jewish.  Now if he uses his Jew abilities like superior money management, superior legal acumen, or by calling the secret number he has for the AIPAC that controls the US or any other similar organization around the world, or his razor sharp hook nose to harm others then you can deride him for being a Jew.

Look Biggie, I'm sorry you can't see your own dick but insulting Jason like that just isn't the way to do things.  Remember his people rule the world, he can get you.

#6 Kaitlyn_Bykova

Kaitlyn_Bykova

Russia > Finland

• 20,156 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

Exactly! :daydream:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 RedSoxFan9

RedSoxFan9

Champion of the Sun

• 26,388 posts
  • LocationDanger Zone
  • 3DS FC:4468-1812-4839
  • Steam ID:RedSoxFan9

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

This reminds me of how some people believe creatine destroys your kidneys.

#8 SlamWolf

SlamWolf
  • 32,435 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostJason, on 28 May 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

It doesn't even show who it is for me anymore, so my title is basically defunct. :(

Also, medical stuff always get posted here.
"What is wrong with you people?" - SFLUFAN

View PostEveryman, on 10 April 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

I'm on the lower rung of the loser ladder.

#9 TheGreatPotato

TheGreatPotato
  • 12,840 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

Soy makes me gassy.

#10 Kaitlyn_Bykova

Kaitlyn_Bykova

Russia > Finland

• 20,156 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostFrightwolf, on 28 May 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

It doesn't even show who it is for me anymore, so my title is basically defunct. :(

Also, medical stuff always get posted here.

Yeah but usually medical breakthroughs and whatnot.

This just seemed really life boardy.

:shrug:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 darkness35

darkness35
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

So I guess Tofu and stuff is fine to ingest then.

View PostJason, on 28 May 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

View PostJason, on 28 May 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Wouldn't that be a desirable outcome for you though? :P

Better than your shit link
I am a Sayo.

#12 Jason

Jason

Rabinically Certified

• 52,334 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

View Postdarkness35, on 28 May 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

So I guess Tofu and stuff is fine to ingest then.

Better than your shit link

y u mad doe?

#13 darkness35

darkness35
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostJason, on 28 May 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

y u mad doe?

Why are you so obnoxious?
I am a Sayo.

#14 Kaitlyn_Bykova

Kaitlyn_Bykova

Russia > Finland

• 20,156 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

View Postdarkness35, on 28 May 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Why are you so obnoxious?

He wasn't at all.

You're being obnoxious doe
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 darkness35

darkness35
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostKaitlyn_Bykova, on 28 May 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

He wasn't at all.

You're being obnoxious doe

Hey, truth is obnoxious.  Sorry about that doe.
I am a Sayo.

#16 Xbob42

Xbob42
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

If you're a man and become a vegetarian/vegan, growing tits/a vagina is only natural.
We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#17 Jason

Jason

Rabinically Certified

• 52,334 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

View PostXbob42, on 28 May 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

If you're a man and become a vegetarian/vegan, growing tits/a vagina is only natural.

I wonder if the tit/vagina growth is caused by, is the cause of, or is concurrent with the vegetarianism/veganism?

#18 Wykillin

Wykillin
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostXbob42, on 28 May 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

Why?

#19 darkness35

darkness35
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

View PostWykillin, on 28 May 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

Why?

This.  What makes you think vegetarians are women?

Shaolin monks would like a word with you.
I am a Sayo.

#20 Kaitlyn_Bykova

Kaitlyn_Bykova

Russia > Finland

• 20,156 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:47 PM

Because most male vegans/vegetarians are extremely not men.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 Jason

Jason

Rabinically Certified

• 52,334 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

View PostKaitlyn_Bykova, on 28 May 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

I feel like you're the perfect person to opine on this matter. :daydream:

#22 darkness35

darkness35
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:57 PM

View PostKaitlyn_Bykova, on 28 May 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

Posted Image

Are you sure?
I am a Sayo.

#23 Sasquatch123456

Sasquatch123456
  • 17,413 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

I never understood the bitterness and resentment toward vegans and vegetarians. On one hand, it's kind of funny to see people fall for blatant advertising from food companies that labels eating meat as being human and masculine. On the other hand, it's sad to see people make fun of a group of people that actually helps the environment and makes food prices cheaper.

#24 Comet

Comet

9th Robot Master

• 18,900 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

The vegetarians and vegans I know are pretty damn manly and strong willed.
Posted Image

3DS Friend Code: 5343-8030-5769

#25 Jason

Jason

Rabinically Certified

• 52,334 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:08 AM

Oh wait Clint Eastwood is a vegan isn't he?

#26 Kaitlyn_Bykova

Kaitlyn_Bykova

Russia > Finland

• 20,156 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:20 AM

View PostLopez, on 28 May 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

I never understood the bitterness and resentment toward vegans and vegetarians. On one hand, it's kind of funny to see people fall for blatant advertising from food companies that labels eating meat as being human and masculine. On the other hand, it's sad to see people make fun of a group of people that actually helps the environment and makes food prices cheaper.

It's because most of them are obnoxious.  I absolutely refuse to be in public with militant ones.

I've gone to plenty of Veggie/Vegan festivals because my bestie is vegetarian but she's lucky I even go still. She's normal and ok with people who eat meat. She'll cook me any greasy meat I want.

But a lot of the people at these things? Fuck they are some of the worst people alive. I hate all of them, especially the ones who do it cause it's hip.

I almost punched one moron at the big one in Toronto last year because of how obnoxious he was.  And I would have if it wouldn't have ruined bestie's day.

I even eat vegetarian once sometimes twice a day and the militant ones still act like I'm the spawn of Satan.  But back to the whole being pansies thing. It's not because they don't eat meat, it's because most of them are the kind of guy who likes anime. The kind of hipster douche who can't grow facial fair so turns to veganism instead of Marxism.

There are honestly more manly men at Gay Pride parades.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 Jason

Jason

Rabinically Certified

• 52,334 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:25 AM

Also vegans are impossible to take anywhere. You probably shouldn't take a vegetarian to a steakhouse but in general they can usually find something they'll eat. Vegans are just impossible though.

#28 marioandsonic

marioandsonic
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

View PostKaitlyn_Bykova, on 29 May 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

It's because most of them are obnoxious.  I absolutely refuse to be in public with militant ones.

But a lot of the people at these things? Fuck they are some of the worst people alive. I hate all of them, especially the ones who do it cause it's hip.

Basically this.

View PostKaitlyn_Bykova, on 29 May 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

But back to the whole being pansies thing. It's not because they don't eat meat, it's because most of them are the kind of guy who likes anime.

Wait, what?
"In Victorian England, a commoner was not allowed to look directly at the Queen, due to a belief at the time that the poor had the ability to steal thoughts. Science now believes that less than 4% of poor people are able to do this."

#29 Kaitlyn_Bykova

Kaitlyn_Bykova

Russia > Finland

• 20,156 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:30 AM

That was a dig at Darkness over his icon and the stereotype of anime fanboys :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 Kaitlyn_Bykova

Kaitlyn_Bykova

Russia > Finland

• 20,156 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

View PostJason, on 29 May 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

Also vegans are impossible to take anywhere. You probably shouldn't take a vegetarian to a steakhouse but in general they can usually find something they'll eat. Vegans are just impossible though.

Yeah I can eat anywhere with bestie. We've even gone to steakhouses and she can eat.  She's even got problems with gluten making eating even harder.

But Vegans? Good God. The last time I was out with a vegan and she flipped out on the poor waitress for the butter on her toast.  Thats the last time I'll ever eat in public with a vegan.  Just terrible people. It's fucking butter ask for new toast or TRY SPECIFYING NO BUTTER when you order.

My favourite is when vegans complain about slaughterhouses as I'm eating a fish that I caught myself. Fucking stupid individuals
Posted ImagePosted Image

#31 Wykillin

Wykillin
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:51 AM

I am a vegetarian. I have been for over three years (I lost count honestly). To this day I am very hesitant to say anything about being a vegetarian. When people eat meat in front of me, I don't give two shits. If they are morally sound with eating meat, good for them. The people you guys are talking about tend to go back to eating meat after about six months; from experience, I can tell which ones.

I do not eat meat because:
A) I find the idea of eating muscle very weird and even kind of gross
B) I'm not starving, so I don't see any reason to take away everything from an animal(s)
C) The meat industry is out of control
D) It was a challenge when I first started
E) It's really NOT that hard
F) Health reasons

To clarify: I grow facial hair like crazy, I haven't been into anime since I was like 16, and I don't use it as a social statement. If I had to explain in one sentence, I don't believe humans have some god given right to do whatever they please with "lesser" species.

#32 Kaitlyn_Bykova

Kaitlyn_Bykova

Russia > Finland

• 20,156 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:59 AM

Yeah ok and I have no problem with you.  But you're not the norm.

I don't care why you personally don't eat meat. You shouldn't care that I do. I don't believe in God but I'm not obnoxious about it like some people here are and that's how I view vegetarian/vegan. I'm happy if that's what you want to do, but don't be obnoxious about it.

And anyone who does it to be hip/make a political/social statement, fuck them. Complete losers.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#33 Wykillin

Wykillin
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:00 AM

What I'm saying is, fuck this stereotype. Don't perpetuate it, please.

#34 Kaitlyn_Bykova

Kaitlyn_Bykova

Russia > Finland

• 20,156 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:05 AM

Its not a stereotype in the vocal crowd.

You'll notice I kept distinguishing militant vegans on purpose.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#35 Wykillin

Wykillin
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

Well, most vegans are bat shit crazy. I can't relate to them at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users