OrbitalBeard

The Nintendo Wii (2006-2012)

143 posts in this topic

They captured plenty of new people. The Wii sold significantly better than every other Nintendo home console. They expanded the market, period. There is absolutely no debating this fact.

This si true, the question is what if any staying power does this market have?

Nice vid. I love my Wii right along with the 360 and PS3. Soo many great games. It's a shame I didn't see any WiiWare nods in that vid. I would have included Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, My Life as a Dark Lord for sure. World of Goo as well.

Nice vid. I love my Wii right along with the 360 and PS3. Soo many great games. It's a shame I didn't see any WiiWare nods in that vid. I would have included Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, My Life as a Dark Lord for sure. World of Goo as well.

Love My Life as a Dark Lord. It's a shame that it takes so long for the game to become challenging/fun, and I really think the demo of it is almost self-destructive. Great game though, definitely. Also, F.A.S.T. is phenomenal as well.

Your post is why it's underrated. It has quite a bit more than "a handful of good games".

I'm pretty sure i could hold all the good games on it in one hand actually, with the boxes.

Opinions. In my opinion, the Wii has dozens of good games and at least 25 great ones. I'm actually playing through one of the very best games of this generation across all consoles as we speak (Xenoblade Chronicles).

I will say that this tread has encouraged me to dust off my entertainment decoration called my Wii for the first time in a couple of months and try some games. I just moved and happened to see my Metroid Other M that I was going to get to one day. I decided to pop it in last night. Fun real FUN! Metroid is the Nintendo franchise I have to have as I can care less about Zelda and Mario. This game is so fun so far. I think I will be able to give the Wii some much dedicated time as when I got some of these Wii games, I was playing some games on PS3 and 360 that I thought warranted more time from me. If Metroid continues like it started, I will not play anything else. That's the experience I want in a game that I haven't gotten from a Wii game in awhile.

I will also try to beat Super Mario Galaxy this summer but obviously it's not the game to me that everybody has painted it to be. As I said, I don't do cute platformers anymore. I just can't commit to play this game thru to the end. I play it every so often.

I will say that this tread has encouraged me to dust off my entertainment decoration called my Wii for the first time in a couple of months and try some games. I just moved and happened to see my Metroid Other M that I was going to get to one day. I decided to pop it in last night. Fun real FUN! Metroid is the Nintendo franchise I have to have as I can care less about Zelda and Mario. This game is so fun so far. I think I will be able to give the Wii some much dedicated time as when I got some of these Wii games, I was playing some games on PS3 and 360 that I thought warranted more time from me. If Metroid continues like it started, I will not play anything else. That's the experience I want in a game that I haven't gotten from a Wii game in awhile.

I will also try to beat Super Mario Galaxy this summer but obviously it's not the game to me that everybody has painted it to be. As I said, I don't do cute platformers anymore. I just can't commit to play this game thru to the end. I play it every so often.

Cool to hear, and it's good you're giving Other M. The story and characters are painful, certainly, but the gameplay is really excellent and it definitely is very stylish and downright cool.

Be sure to check out Little King's Story and Muramasa; my favorite 3rd party titles for the system, and they're excellent.

I'm not going to press it, but I don't think I'll ever understand why people say this. I'm in my mid-20s and I appreciate these games far more than I did when I was a kid. Just like watching an old Disney film or something from Pixar. As you get older, you formulate a whole new layer of understanding and appreciation for the art form. But that's just me.

As for Other M, it's a pretty good game. Though a lot of people really latched on to non-issues with the game and ignored many of the glaring ones. I found the controls perfectly adequate and really didn't have any complaints, and as for story and voice acting, it all seemed pretty standard videogame fare to me. Apparently when Nintendo tries something different they're held to Academy Award standards and everyone else gets a pass. Compared to every other videogame, the voice acting was fine, the story was fine, and Samus' characterization wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. I really enjoyed the game and hope to play through it again. Though I would like to try it with a nunchuck patch if there ever is one.

I'm SOOOOOOOOO happy there is no nunchuck usage in this game. That's a main reason I don't play the Wii is that set up with the nunchuck and Wiimote, I hate the feeling. If I can I will always choose games that give me the option to use the classic remote or the GC controller because it just feels natural. The separated control scheme of the wii mote and nunchuck NEVER felt natural to me.

I agree with you even though I'm essentially just 1 hour into the game. I think that's the double edge sword for Nintendo damned if they do for remaining the same for key franchises and damned if they don't try to change things up a bit with the key franchises. I enjoy story so far as it's more engaging to me.

About the platformers, I really couldn't tell you why I don't like them anymore. I haven't truly immersed myself in a Mario game since Super Mario World. The very last platformer I truly enjoyed was Daxter on PSP but that's honestly due to the character talking and being hilarious when he speaks. If not for that, I wouldn't play it. I enjoy Toy Story and Pixar movies, comics books, watching Nick cartoons with my son as I am still a big kid as a 32 year old man when I see them. And it's not like I haven't tried to play platformers as I rent them from recommendations from you guys but as soon as I give the game 10-30 mins, ughhh! I am not compelled or engaged enough to want to continue them. I just played the demo for Rayman Origins and I did not feel compelled to thoroughly play what is an impressive demo.

I don't know. I do think that when the PS1 released it was trying SOOO BAD to find a Mario/Sonic type platfomer. I think the flooding of cute platformers on PS1 made me sick of the genre and I never recovered.

I don't know. People joke with me about it but maybe I just to like games when I kill people, LOL! But I love sports games and other genres but platformers are almost on the same level of driving sims, don't give them to me........almost.

Despite absolutely everything you just said, if you haven't played Klonoa yet you have to get it for Wii. Easily the best platformer around *readies fisticuffs against Orbital*

The Wii had more than a handful of good games, for sure.

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2

NSMBWii

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Sin and Punishment 2

Kirby's Epic Yarn

MadWorld

No More Heroes 1 and 2

Super Paper Mario

Twilight Princess

Skyward Sword

Mario Kart Wii

Xenoblade

The Last Story

Zak and Wiki

Silent Hill Shattered Memories

Resident Evil shooters

Fire Emblem

Metroid Other M

Metroid Prime Trilogy

Smash Bros Brawl

Epic Mickey

That's just some and I'm not even counting WiiWare games, since I don't really own many.

Sin & Punishment, MadWorld, Super Paper Mario, Silent Hill, and Metroid Other M are terrible games. And a lot of the others mentioned here are good, but also the type of games you play and completely forget about... Like Mario Kart, Silent Hill, Fire Emblem.

If I included games that sucked but were popular by the masses and totally average, forgettable games in the list of the other systems it'd be 10x as long.

PS - I'm disappointed in your list's lack of Excitetruck and Elebits. I guess I'm a bigger Wii fan than you :)

Sin & Punishment, MadWorld, Super Paper Mario, Silent Hill, and Metroid Other M are terrible games.

:lol:

Only on the internet.

Sin & Punishment, MadWorld, Super Paper Mario, Silent Hill, and Metroid Other M are terrible games. And a lot of the others mentioned here are good, but also the type of games you play and completely forget about... Like Mario Kart, Silent Hill, Fire Emblem.

If I included games that sucked but were popular by the masses and totally average, forgettable games in the list of the other systems it'd be 10x as long.

PS - I'm disappointed in your list's lack of Excitetruck and Elebits. I guess I'm a bigger Wii fan than you :)

God I hate trolls. So pathetic.

I played all of the games I mentioned.

:lol:

Only on the internet.

Only from people who actually play a variety of games. Those games are shit. Madworld was a wannabe No More Heroes with worse gameplay, no story worth watching, and completely uninspired. Super Paper Mario was a 20 hour game tutorial. Metroid Other M was a noobfest on rails game, lol. Just go play Super Metroid if you want a million times better game. Silent Hill? Gimme a break.

Mario Kart and Fire Emblem are the same game they've been for over a decade. You might as well say a restaurant is great for having french fries. It's so uninteresting at this point.

No you didn't. I don't believe anything you say about the Wii whatsoever. Your overwhelming hate for the system means that if you actually have been playing these games, you're a fool who enjoys experiencing things you claim to hate. Nothing you have to say about Nintendo can be taken even remotely seriously by anyone.

There are certain users here who I simply put no stock in what they say. They're just not worth shit. ktown is one of those.

No you didn't. I don't believe anything you say about the Wii whatsoever. Your overwhelming hate for the system means that if you actually have been playing these games, you're a fool who enjoys experiencing things you claim to hate. Nothing you have to say about Nintendo can be taken even remotely seriously by anyone.

I like good games. I've owned or played all of the games mentioned. There are a lot of games I really like for the Wii, like Elebits, ExciteTruck, Twilight Princess, Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Boom Blox, NSMB Wii, Monster Hunter Tri. I still have most of those games on my shelf, actually. I do like Mario Kart, great game, but it's just Mario Kart. I wouldn't exactly call it some major thing. It's the same game I've been playing on every system since SNES.

The reality is that what I say is more valid than most, and maybe that bothers you guys. I don't comment on games I haven't played, and as you'll notice I didn't state anything about games on your list that I haven't.

Bullshit. You haven't played any of those. I know this because anyone who actually thinks Elebits is a good game hasn't actually played it.

Elebits was awesome in the context of the Wii's release. Maybe you weren't around then, but I camped out for that thing. I played me some ExciteTruck, Elebits and TP for weeks.

The Wii isn't a horrendous system, if you were stuck in a vacuum. It's certainly better than 3DO or CD-i, and it certain does have some AAA games. But it has less of them than the other consoles, both from big publishers and from indie devs. Fact. So, in the context of the actual world, this game generation, it's poop.

I camped out for a Wii as well and bought Elebits the DAY it was released in December of 2006, unlike you who apparently jumped in a time machine and bought the game at the Wii's launch. It was not a good game.

The rest of your post is typical ktown bullshit so I'll refrain from responding.

Right, ok. Well then refrain from saying I'm a liar. You know I'm not lying, you just don't agree with my opinion. But if I had to choose which opinion was more valid, I'd pick the guy with a wider breadth of experience (me). I played them all dude. In fact, the WiiU will be the first time in my life that I don't buy a Nintendo console on day 1. You can rest assured that my opinion on the WiiU will be completely baseless conjecture, because it won't be in my possession. Unfortunately for you, the same can't be said of the Wii.

I get Silent Hill, just because there are people that love scary things no matter what. I mean, scary movies are the cheesiest ones around and there is no shortage of fans. But S&P, MadWorld and Super Paper Mario? They are all worse versions of games that came before them. S&P isn't anywhere near as good as any Treasure shooter before it. MadWorld is an inferior No More Heroes and Super Paper Mario is a shell of its predecessors.

I guess there's no real value in debating it.

Star Successor is EASILY as good as games like Radiant Silvergun, Gunstar Heroes, Bangai-O and Ikaruga. Play the game for more than 30 seconds (if you played it at all, which I highly doubt).

It might not be as good as Guardian Heroes though, because Guardian Heroes was crafted by God Himself.

Star Successor is EASILY as good as games like Radiant Silvergun, Gunstar Heroes, Bangai-O and Ikaruga. Play the game for more than 30 seconds (if you played it at all, which I highly doubt).

It might not be as good as Guardian Heroes though, because Guardian Heroes was crafted by God Himself.

lol, it's nowhere near any of those games. You might as well try to tell me that Primal Rage is as good as Street Fighter 2. I'm glad you at least know your Treasure games though. How on Earth you would categorize it among the greats like that is beyond me, but hey different strokes for different folks. FWIW, Ikaruga is my #2 game of all-time. I own it for Dreamcast, Gamecube and 360. After all these years, I still have a long way to go with it. I can S the first two levels and A the third... but stages 4 and 5 are still a shit show.