Jump to content


- - - - -

GameStop Mobile. They now have their own cell and data service, piggybacking off AT&T.

GameStop Mobile GameStop

  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Chocoburger

Chocoburger

    Dreaming of an Absolution

  • Newly Registered
  • 6,459 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

http://www.phonearen...n-to-US_id30328


Posted Image


GameStop, the popular video game retailer in the US, has decided to get into the wireless service business. The retailer has announced its new service, GameStop Mobile, a contract-free, prepaid MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) using the AT&T network.

The company hopes its prepaid offerings will allow consumers more flexibility with their plan, as they tout 5 new plans, ranging from $20 up to $55. The new virtual carrier will offer $20 per month for complete pay as you go, charging 10 cents per text or minute, and $1.50 per megabyte of data. The plan is aimed to those who want a reliable phone service for emergency-only use. For $35, $45, and $55 per month you get unlimited text messages and voice minutes, and 0, 100, or 500 megabytes of data respectively. Obviously the plan capping out at 500 megabytes of data isn't for a power user, but is a great no-contract alternative available from a carrier capable of 3.5G data capability on an iPhone.

GameStop Mobile also has a data only plan available, so you can use it with an air card or iPad. The plan is $55 and includes 1 gigabyte of data.

All of the plans are no-contract, the minutes include nationwide coverage on the AT&T network, free voicemail, caller ID, and call waiting. International calling is available in increments of $5 or $10 as a pay per minute add-on, and rates are aggressive. GameStop does not charge an activation fee.

Right now, SIM cards are only available in-store at GameStop retail locations. It's likely you will be able to buy them on eBay or other resale outlets if you don't have a GameStop available in your area.

We're excited to see more competition between MVNO carriers in the US. When carriers compete, the customer usually wins. Do you think the GameStop option is good? While for many the data cap would be an issue, do you see a niche in the market where GameStop will be successful with this launch?

_____________________________________________________

And now we all await Kittyrow's response. :daydream:

A lot of people keep saying that the death of used games will be the death of GameStop, it seems like this corporation is trying to get into many different markets. First they opened up buying and selling used iPhones, iPads, and iPods and now this new service. Will it pan out for them?

I don't keep up too much on cellular and data prices but these seem slightly steep, especially with the $55 plan that only has 500 MB of data, two gigs would make this appealing.

#2 SilverShadow

SilverShadow

    The Blood Dragon

  • Moderator
  • 28,661 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

This will fail so hard.
http://www.last.fm/user/Hydro-Thunder

PC: i5-3570K 8GB 660Ti 1TB
Laptop: i7-4700MQ 12GB 765m 750GB

#3 Videogamenick

Videogamenick
  • Member
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

$35 a month for unlimited voice and text, that doesn't seem like a bad deal if you have one of those clamshell smaller screen phones you wouldn't use the internet on anyway...My prepaid deal on Virgin is better though IMO ($45/mo for 1200 voice, unlimited everything else)

Geez, Gamestop is diversifying like a mofo, who do they think they are, Virgin? First it's mobile carrier, and Steam-cash retailer, next it's Gamestop Airways. Madness! :P
Posted Image
  Posted Image

#4 DarkStar189

DarkStar189
  • Member
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostVideogamenick, on 20 May 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

$35 a month for unlimited voice and text, that doesn't seem like a bad deal if you have one of those clamshell smaller screen phones you wouldn't use the internet on anyway...My prepaid deal on Virgin is better though IMO ($45/mo for 1200 voice, unlimited everything else)

Geez, Gamestop is diversifying like a mofo, who do they think they are, Virgin? First it's mobile carrier, and Steam-cash retailer, next it's Gamestop Airways. Madness! :P
I feel like once a company starts trying all these different things they may be seeing their demise in the future

#5 Scape Zero

Scape Zero

    LEGO!

  • Member
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

Wow, 500 MB at 55 bucks a month is fucking worthless.  There is like 30 other providers offering unlimited everything at that price, and even one in my area that offers unlimited music in a zune-like store on top of that.
Posted Image
Ammomule! Keep your ammo cold, and your bacon hot!

#6 Wild

Wild
  • Member
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Anything that moves this abysmal company out of gaming and into other markets is absolutely fine by me.

#7 dreammitchconner

dreammitchconner

    Works on contingency? No, money down

  • Member
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

View PostWild, on 20 May 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

Anything that moves this abysmal company out of gaming and into other markets is absolutely fine by me.

This is an expansion, not a move.

XBL: CATxPARTY


#8 RedSoxFan9

RedSoxFan9

    Champion of the Sun

  • Member
  • 26,208 posts
  • LocationDanger Zone
  • 3DS FC:4468-1812-4839
  • Steam ID:RedSoxFan9

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

Great, so they will be asking you if you need a new phone plan when you checkout.

#9 Anzo

Anzo

    The Fullmetal Pharmacist

  • Member
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:30 PM

View PostRedSoxFan9, on 20 May 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

Great, so they will be asking you if you need a new phone plan when you checkout.

My first thought.
Formerly Vennieboy

#10 AlmostAutumn

AlmostAutumn
  • Member
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:01 AM

3 month 20 minute cards; best deal around :dancing:

#11 Jason

Jason

    Rabinically Certified

  • Member
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

View PostScape Zero, on 20 May 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

Wow, 500 MB at 55 bucks a month is fucking worthless.  There is like 30 other providers offering unlimited everything at that price, and even one in my area that offers unlimited music in a zune-like store on top of that.

AFAIK, Sprint is the only company offering true unlimited data.
Our liability coverage is zero. Our balls, however, are enormous.

Alf likes my dick. I can have him forward it to you.

View PostEngel, on 22 April 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

This isn't the way to go about it though Biggie.  Unlike being gay like @LionFranco , trans like @ Kaitlyn_Bykova , a woman like @Linda05 , or fat like @Biggie_Rich there is nothing inherently wrong with Jason being Jewish.  Now if he uses his Jew abilities like superior money management, superior legal acumen, or by calling the secret number he has for the AIPAC that controls the US or any other similar organization around the world, or his razor sharp hook nose to harm others then you can deride him for being a Jew.

Look Biggie, I'm sorry you can't see your own dick but insulting Jason like that just isn't the way to do things.  Remember his people rule the world, he can get you.

#12 BlueAngel

BlueAngel

    Double Fistin' Jack

  • Member
  • 12,685 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Steam ID:special7

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Or go with Red Pocket Mobile like I use for my iPhone 4 and pay $60 for unlimited talk/text and 2GB of data no contract. It's an AT&T MVNO as well, same service but half the price. :)
My Gaming Rig: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition @ 3.8GHz Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Dual Fans (push/pull) || 2.6GHz CPU-NB || ASUS M5A97 || Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 8-8-8-22 1t || ASUS GTX570 DirectCU 1280MB @ 830/1654/2000 975mV (a wip) || Crucial MX100 256GB SSD || Western Digital Black 1TB

Breaded cod is breaded cod. Tastes no different from place to place. Differences from making at home would be subtle . -ohioguy24


My Sprint Framily ID#: Z02622464fK -- Sign up and save!

#13 Krakauer

Krakauer
  • Member
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

God, I despise prepaid no contract shit. Makes it so much easier for people to comit crimes using their phones. Has to be the most anti-law enforcement thing I've ever seen.

#14 chilly rainbow

chilly rainbow
  • Member
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

the beginning of the end of gamestop.
Posted Image

#15 Chocoburger

Chocoburger

    Dreaming of an Absolution

  • Newly Registered
  • 6,459 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

View PostBlueAngel, on 21 May 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

Or go with Red Pocket Mobile like I use for my iPhone 4 and pay $60 for unlimited talk/text and 2GB of data no contract. It's an AT&T MVNO as well, same service but half the price. :)
There has to be a down side to getting the service at 50% off, right? Is it just buying your phone at full price ($800 or whatever it is) or is there something else?

#16 BlueAngel

BlueAngel

    Double Fistin' Jack

  • Member
  • 12,685 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Steam ID:special7

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

View PostChocoburger, on 21 May 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

There has to be a down side to getting the service at 50% off, right? Is it just buying your phone at full price ($800 or whatever it is) or is there something else?
Well I had my iPhone 4 from AT&T but my contract was up so I left, phone is mine so there really is no downside. Unless of course you don't own a phone then you have to shell out money for a phone first, but if you already have an AT&T GSM phone you're good to go.
My Gaming Rig: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition @ 3.8GHz Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Dual Fans (push/pull) || 2.6GHz CPU-NB || ASUS M5A97 || Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 8-8-8-22 1t || ASUS GTX570 DirectCU 1280MB @ 830/1654/2000 975mV (a wip) || Crucial MX100 256GB SSD || Western Digital Black 1TB

Breaded cod is breaded cod. Tastes no different from place to place. Differences from making at home would be subtle . -ohioguy24


My Sprint Framily ID#: Z02622464fK -- Sign up and save!

#17 Scape Zero

Scape Zero

    LEGO!

  • Member
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

View PostKrakauer, on 21 May 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

God, I despise prepaid no contract shit. Makes it so much easier for people to comit crimes using their phones. Has to be the most anti-law enforcement thing I've ever seen.

Right, other than that being the vast minority of people who use no contract plans...
Posted Image
Ammomule! Keep your ammo cold, and your bacon hot!

#18 Jason

Jason

    Rabinically Certified

  • Member
  • 51,819 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

View PostScape Zero, on 21 May 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:



Right, other than that being the vast minority of people who use no contract plans...

BUT ONE PERSON MIGHT USE THEM TO SELL COCAINE, SO WE SHOULD BAN THEM
Our liability coverage is zero. Our balls, however, are enormous.

Alf likes my dick. I can have him forward it to you.

View PostEngel, on 22 April 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

This isn't the way to go about it though Biggie.  Unlike being gay like @LionFranco , trans like @ Kaitlyn_Bykova , a woman like @Linda05 , or fat like @Biggie_Rich there is nothing inherently wrong with Jason being Jewish.  Now if he uses his Jew abilities like superior money management, superior legal acumen, or by calling the secret number he has for the AIPAC that controls the US or any other similar organization around the world, or his razor sharp hook nose to harm others then you can deride him for being a Jew.

Look Biggie, I'm sorry you can't see your own dick but insulting Jason like that just isn't the way to do things.  Remember his people rule the world, he can get you.

#19 Krakauer

Krakauer
  • Member
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

One person? Don't be naive bub.

And drugs are the least of the problem when it comes to these prepaid phones.

#20 Mr. Victor Twenty

Mr. Victor Twenty

    Have you tried being calm?

  • Jolly Green Giant
  • 13,712 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

The down side is obvious... AT&T! :sick:
PC: i4790K, 32Gb 2400 MHz RAM, EVGA GTX980 SLI 4-Way, 256Gb SSD, 4Tb HDD, Asus Z97-WS Mobo, Corsair 80 Plus Platinum 1200 watt PSU, Win8.1
GameCenter (iOS) Profile: Mr.Vic20





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users