• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 fynd

fynd
  • 1,884 posts
  • LocationSt. John's, NL
  • PSN ID:fynd

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

Options -> Gameplay -> Elective Mode (Enable)

This lets you assign whatever ability you want to whatever hot-key you want, instead of how it is by default (ie: only Primary moves for left click, Secondary for right, etc). With this enabled you can have 4 primary moves hot keyed if you want.

I find it strange that it's not default, and that it's just tossed into the gameplay options.

#2 NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo

Built for justification

• 4,496 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

Nice! Thanks.
Posted Image

#3 ktownhero

ktownhero

Strongsauce McGee

• 7,637 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

View Postfynd, on 16 May 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

Options -> Gameplay -> Elective Mode (Enable)

This lets you assign whatever ability you want to whatever hot-key you want, instead of how it is by default (ie: only Primary moves for left click, Secondary for right, etc). With this enabled you can have 4 primary moves hot keyed if you want.

I find it strange that it's not default, and that it's just tossed into the gameplay options.

This is a good tip, but I 100% understand why it is not the default.  There are SO many skill options in this game, when you switch elective mode on it gets very overwhelming very quickly.  They did an incredible job of categorizing skills into predetermined skill slots by default, which really eases you into the game and could very well be used effectively for the entirety of the game.

#4 Sasquatch123456

Sasquatch123456
  • 17,413 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

Yup. I always planned my build around Elective Mode.

I wonder if people without Elective Mode are going to be the "clickers" of Diablo 3.

#5 forsayken

forsayken
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

WHAT? Totally doing this next time I play. Thanks.

Edit: Just so I understand correctly, this means you can use more than 1 "left click" skill?

#6 Hand76

Hand76
  • 559 posts
  • LocationLong Island N.Y.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

Yea can somone explain a little more? So does this mean instead of #1 being stuck in #1 I can move to #2?

Or I can have (like Forsaayken said) have my left and right mouse button do multiple things?
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P | AMD Phenom II X4 955 | AMD Radeon R9 270X 4GB
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1600 | OCZ Summit 120GB (SSD)
Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 | LG IPS226 | Logitech diNovo Edge & Logitech MX Revolution

#7 ktownhero

ktownhero

Strongsauce McGee

• 7,637 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

View Postforsayken, on 16 May 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

WHAT? Totally doing this next time I play. Thanks.

Edit: Just so I understand correctly, this means you can use more than 1 "left click" skill?

View PostHand76, on 16 May 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

Yea can somone explain a little more? So does this mean instead of #1 being stuck in #1 I can move to #2?

Or I can have (like Forsaayken said) have my left and right mouse button do multiple things?

It lets you use any skill in any skill slot.  You are still capped at 6 total skills, but it gives you the flexibility to use them anywhere and to not be constrained by their categories.

#8 forsayken

forsayken
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

View Postktownhero, on 16 May 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

It lets you use any skill in any skill slot.  You are still capped at 6 total skills, but it gives you the flexibility to use them anywhere and to not be constrained by their categories.

Ok but you still can't use, say, two defensive skills with the Wizard. You are still limited to 1 skill per skill category?

#9 ktownhero

ktownhero

Strongsauce McGee

• 7,637 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

View Postforsayken, on 16 May 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

Ok but you still can't use, say, two defensive skills with the Wizard. You are still limited to 1 skill per skill category?

Nope, you can use as many skills from the same category as you want.  You're just capped at 6 skills overall.

#10 TwinIon

TwinIon

Technologist Extraordinaire

• 8,740 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

This is what I get for not reading more about the game prior to launch.  I miss out on important tips like this.  Thanks!
Techie/Gamer/Geek Extraordinaire
XBL:Collateral Damg | PSN:CollateralDmg | Steam: colateral_dmg | Origin: twinion
Letterboxd: TwinIon

#11 forsayken

forsayken
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

View Postktownhero, on 16 May 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

Nope, you can use as many skills from the same category as you want.  You're just capped at 6 skills overall.

That's what I thought at first. Thanks for comfirming. This route is 20x better than default. Thanks.

#12 Sasquatch123456

Sasquatch123456
  • 17,413 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Yeah, I can totally understand why Blizzard did it for casuals, but better players will all utilize Elective Mode. Most of the best class builds do not stick to the default layout at all.

#13 Z3M0G

Z3M0G
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationNB, Canada
  • PSN ID:Z3M0G

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

Does this also open up MORE skill options?

I still don't understand how a Demon Hunter can use Melee weapons and do Melee attacks... I saw a screenshot of a Melee Demon Hunter, and he had a sword icon in his left-click.

Unless Demon Hunter simply gets a melee attack skill at a later level... ?

Edit: Was answered in other thread... simply don't assign a skill to the Left-Click slot, and you can attack with any weapon type...

So odd that Blizzard managed to over complicate that...

#14 markot

markot
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

How stupid....

#15 RedSoxFan9

RedSoxFan9

Champion of the Sun

• 26,214 posts
  • LocationDanger Zone
  • 3DS FC:4468-1812-4839
  • Steam ID:RedSoxFan9

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

It's nice to have everything except shift and portals mapped to my mouse.

#16 Z3M0G

Z3M0G
  • 7,939 posts
  • LocationNB, Canada
  • PSN ID:Z3M0G

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

Ok, so you can't even assign "No" skill to your left-click unless you enable Elective Mode... lol

So you'd need to enable Elective mode if you want to use other weapons with your chosen class.

#17 hellfish

hellfish
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Oh man, thanks for this info - I was hating Demon Hunter because i though all I could do was range.

#18 ktownhero

ktownhero

Strongsauce McGee

• 7,637 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostZ3M0G, on 16 May 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

Ok, so you can't even assign "No" skill to your left-click unless you enable Elective Mode... lol

So you'd need to enable Elective mode if you want to use other weapons with your chosen class.

The entire game is built around never needing a standard attack.

#19 imdahman

imdahman
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

Wait wait wait wait... time out... you can assign more than 1 primary skill to a hotkey? Ie My demon hunter could have bind and bolas on the mouse if I wanted?

I have a 4 button intellipoint and currently I have the side buttons as my active hot key 1 & 2 (the proper names escape me).
- imdahman

"Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down;
tells ya she's hurtin' before she keels; makes her home."

Malcolm Reynolds - Serenity

#20 ktownhero

ktownhero

Strongsauce McGee

• 7,637 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

View Postimdahman, on 16 May 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

Wait wait wait wait... time out... you can assign more than 1 primary skill to a hotkey? Ie My demon hunter could have bind and bolas on the mouse if I wanted?

I have a 4 button intellipoint and currently I have the side buttons as my active hot key 1 & 2 (the proper names escape me).

Yep.

#21 imdahman

imdahman
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

View Postktownhero, on 16 May 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Yep.

Insert mind-hole blowing gif...
- imdahman

"Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down;
tells ya she's hurtin' before she keels; makes her home."

Malcolm Reynolds - Serenity

#22 rossi_84

rossi_84
  • 179 posts
  • 3DS FC:2638-1392-5733
  • Steam ID:rossi_84

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

Saw the title and was hoping it was somthing else so I could suggest this, Was shown this last night by a friend.

#23 Sasquatch123456

Sasquatch123456
  • 17,413 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Players are not supposed to ever use the standard attack. It's way worse than all the other attacks.

Two other good tips:

Make sure to bind "Moving." It lets characters move into a crowd of mobs or where a mob might be for a melee AOE or to move from something else. Sometimes it isn't possible to move with just clicking if a character is using a ranged attack for left click.

Turn on advanced tooltips. It makes it possible to see the exact damage values of abilities.

#24 TheGreatPotato

TheGreatPotato
  • 12,840 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hmm, good idea with the binding "moving."  Useful if you have both ranged and melee attacks.  If you bound moving to left-click though, wouldn't you need to rebind your basic ranged attack to another key?

#25 UMad?

UMad?
  • 5,913 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

Posted Image

:hug:

#26 UMad?

UMad?
  • 5,913 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

What is Elective Mode?

By default, Elective Mode is an option in the game that is turned off. It's recommended to turn this on when you get a chance.
Elective mode allows the player to place multiple skills from the same category to their key bindings.
How do I turn Elective Mode on?

Once you join a game, simply hit ESC > Options > Gameplay > toggle on Elective Mode.
What does Elective Mode allow you to do?

By default, the attack buttons in Diablo 3 are bound to the following: Left mouse button, right mouse button, and the 1, 2, 3, and 4 keys on the keyboard.
The skills in Diablo 3 fall into six categories. These categories vary by class, but every class has six. E.g., The Wizard's six categories are: Primary, Secondary, Defensive, Force, Conjuration, and Mastery.
With elective mode off, a wizards Primary skill must be bound to the left mouse button, a Secondary skill must be bound to the right mouse button, a Defensive skill skill must be bound to the 1 key, a force skill must be bound to the 2 key, a Conjuration skill must be bound to the 3 key, and a Mastery skill must be bound to the 4 key.
By extension, it means the player can only use one skill from each category when selecting which six skills to use. Once they choose a Primary skill, that is the only Primary skill they can use until they switch it out with another Primary skill.
With Elective Mode on, the player is allowed to place multiple skills from the same category on their key bindings. A player could use four Primary skills if they so desired.
With a basic Ice Wizard build with Elective Mode turned on, the player can select both two Defensive and two Force skills. With Elective Mode off, this would not be possible since the player would be forbidden from using multiple skills from the same category.
tl;dr: Leaving Elective Mode off will limit your skill choice combinations, and by extension, customization. It is highly recommended that you turn it on as soon as possible.

edit: copy & pasted from some random site after a google search

#27 Sasquatch123456

Sasquatch123456
  • 17,413 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostRileyLewis, on 16 May 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

Hmm, good idea with the binding "moving."  Useful if you have both ranged and melee attacks.  If you bound moving to left-click though, wouldn't you need to rebind your basic ranged attack to another key?

Probably. I bound moving to W, though.

#28 TwinIon

TwinIon

• 8,740 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

I turned it on last night, but I couldn't seem to put two spells of any given type on my hotkeys.  How exactly do you assign two primary skills to keys?
XBL:Collateral Damg | PSN:CollateralDmg | Steam: colateral_dmg | Origin: twinion

#29 Griffy

Griffy
  • 4,841 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities
  • Steam ID:griffy

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostTwinIon, on 17 May 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

I turned it on last night, but I couldn't seem to put two spells of any given type on my hotkeys.  How exactly do you assign two primary skills to keys?
You open your skill menu, then press the category/button for any skill type. An arrow will point on your bar to what slot/button you are picking. In the skill menu, use the arrows to the left or right to move between the different types of skills and select whichever one you want to go into that slot.

#30 Riley@Work

Riley@Work
  • Banned
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

Here's an even easier method:  right click on any slot in your skill bar.  You can then select the skill you want in that slot.  Very easy.

To change which hotkeys are assigned to which slot, just go into options and key bindings, and set the secondary key for each slot to be whatever you want (Mouse5, etc.)

#31 TwinIon

TwinIon

• 8,740 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostGriffy, on 17 May 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

You open your skill menu, then press the category/button for any skill type. An arrow will point on your bar to what slot/button you are picking. In the skill menu, use the arrows to the left or right to move between the different types of skills and select whichever one you want to go into that slot.

Awesome, got it working now.  Thanks.

#32 Mercury33

Mercury33
  • 8,226 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Awesome. I was wondering if there was a way to map the skills to the 6 buttons on the Diablo mouse
Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers, Wolverines, UNH Wildcats

Now Playing: Madden 13, Dishonored, Assassins Creed 3

Madden League: 2014 All Giants Picks, Bucs 1st, Browns 3rd
2015 All Giants Picks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users