Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Important but not so obvious Diablo 3 tip

32 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Options -> Gameplay -> Elective Mode (Enable)

This lets you assign whatever ability you want to whatever hot-key you want, instead of how it is by default (ie: only Primary moves for left click, Secondary for right, etc). With this enabled you can have 4 primary moves hot keyed if you want.

I find it strange that it's not default, and that it's just tossed into the gameplay options.

Posted · Report post

Options -> Gameplay -> Elective Mode (Enable)

This lets you assign whatever ability you want to whatever hot-key you want, instead of how it is by default (ie: only Primary moves for left click, Secondary for right, etc). With this enabled you can have 4 primary moves hot keyed if you want.

I find it strange that it's not default, and that it's just tossed into the gameplay options.

This is a good tip, but I 100% understand why it is not the default. There are SO many skill options in this game, when you switch elective mode on it gets very overwhelming very quickly. They did an incredible job of categorizing skills into predetermined skill slots by default, which really eases you into the game and could very well be used effectively for the entirety of the game.

Posted · Report post

Yup. I always planned my build around Elective Mode.

I wonder if people without Elective Mode are going to be the "clickers" of Diablo 3.

Posted · Report post

WHAT? Totally doing this next time I play. Thanks.

Edit: Just so I understand correctly, this means you can use more than 1 "left click" skill?

Posted · Report post

Yea can somone explain a little more? So does this mean instead of #1 being stuck in #1 I can move to #2?

Or I can have (like Forsaayken said) have my left and right mouse button do multiple things?

Posted · Report post

WHAT? Totally doing this next time I play. Thanks.

Edit: Just so I understand correctly, this means you can use more than 1 "left click" skill?

Yea can somone explain a little more? So does this mean instead of #1 being stuck in #1 I can move to #2?

Or I can have (like Forsaayken said) have my left and right mouse button do multiple things?

It lets you use any skill in any skill slot. You are still capped at 6 total skills, but it gives you the flexibility to use them anywhere and to not be constrained by their categories.

Posted · Report post

It lets you use any skill in any skill slot. You are still capped at 6 total skills, but it gives you the flexibility to use them anywhere and to not be constrained by their categories.

Ok but you still can't use, say, two defensive skills with the Wizard. You are still limited to 1 skill per skill category?

Posted · Report post

Ok but you still can't use, say, two defensive skills with the Wizard. You are still limited to 1 skill per skill category?

Nope, you can use as many skills from the same category as you want. You're just capped at 6 skills overall.

Posted · Report post

This is what I get for not reading more about the game prior to launch. I miss out on important tips like this. Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Nope, you can use as many skills from the same category as you want. You're just capped at 6 skills overall.

That's what I thought at first. Thanks for comfirming. This route is 20x better than default. Thanks.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, I can totally understand why Blizzard did it for casuals, but better players will all utilize Elective Mode. Most of the best class builds do not stick to the default layout at all.

Posted · Report post

Does this also open up MORE skill options?

I still don't understand how a Demon Hunter can use Melee weapons and do Melee attacks... I saw a screenshot of a Melee Demon Hunter, and he had a sword icon in his left-click.

Unless Demon Hunter simply gets a melee attack skill at a later level... ?

Edit: Was answered in other thread... simply don't assign a skill to the Left-Click slot, and you can attack with any weapon type...

So odd that Blizzard managed to over complicate that...

Posted · Report post

How stupid....

Posted · Report post

It's nice to have everything except shift and portals mapped to my mouse.

Posted · Report post

Ok, so you can't even assign "No" skill to your left-click unless you enable Elective Mode... lol

So you'd need to enable Elective mode if you want to use other weapons with your chosen class.

Posted · Report post

Ok, so you can't even assign "No" skill to your left-click unless you enable Elective Mode... lol

So you'd need to enable Elective mode if you want to use other weapons with your chosen class.

The entire game is built around never needing a standard attack.

Posted · Report post

Wait wait wait wait... time out... you can assign more than 1 primary skill to a hotkey? Ie My demon hunter could have bind and bolas on the mouse if I wanted?

I have a 4 button intellipoint and currently I have the side buttons as my active hot key 1 & 2 (the proper names escape me).

Posted · Report post

Wait wait wait wait... time out... you can assign more than 1 primary skill to a hotkey? Ie My demon hunter could have bind and bolas on the mouse if I wanted?

I have a 4 button intellipoint and currently I have the side buttons as my active hot key 1 & 2 (the proper names escape me).

Yep.

Posted · Report post

Saw the title and was hoping it was somthing else so I could suggest this, Was shown this last night by a friend.

Posted · Report post

Players are not supposed to ever use the standard attack. It's way worse than all the other attacks.

Two other good tips:

Make sure to bind "Moving." It lets characters move into a crowd of mobs or where a mob might be for a melee AOE or to move from something else. Sometimes it isn't possible to move with just clicking if a character is using a ranged attack for left click.

Turn on advanced tooltips. It makes it possible to see the exact damage values of abilities.

Posted · Report post

Hmm, good idea with the binding "moving." Useful if you have both ranged and melee attacks. If you bound moving to left-click though, wouldn't you need to rebind your basic ranged attack to another key?