Green Day was awesome in the 90's

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fizzzzle

Fizzzzle

buttdick

• 16,660 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

I don't think any other band has blended pop and punk together so well as Green Day did in the Dookie and Insomniac albums.

#2 never_knows_best

never_knows_best

Not a Mod

• 13,255 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

I seem to be one of the rare people who loved everything from 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours to American Idiot. They're one of the few bands I've listened to pretty much my whole life.

21st Century Breakdown was the first album I've been disappointed in, though. Can't stand like 2/3 of it. And the couple new songs they've played live since then are pretty terrible.
but now we dance this grim fandango
and will four years before we rest

#3 heyyoudvd

heyyoudvd
  • 7,641 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

Green Day's best album, by far, was Warning. It really never got the credit it deserved.

#4 doa3_master

doa3_master
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

In my opinion Dookie is one of the best if not the best punk albums of all time.

Green day ended up the same way Linkin park did. They tried something different and it failed miserably.

#5 IdeaOfEvil

IdeaOfEvil

Riddled with Red Fever

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationBerkeley, Ca

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

It's funny. When Green Day first came on the scene, I didn't like them. I tried to fool myself and got a couple of mp3's of theirs, but I noticed how I always skipped over the tracks whenever they came up and never listened to them (I don't recall which song's they were), so I deleted all the songs I had. And now that it's almost twenty years later, a time when I've gone back to songs I once hated and skipped over from years past, I still don't like Green Day. I guess they're just one of those bands that never clicked with me, yet a lot of the younger family/family friends of mine really love this band, even if they were born well after Dookie made it's debut.

"Hello IdeaOfEvil,
Your icon has been brought to the attention of the staff, and though we all love it; unfortunately it violates the ToS."

Icon History

Dvd/Bluray Collection | Guess the Screencaps

Games

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! | Guitar Hero/Rock Band | Final Fantasy 7 | Castlevania SotN | Chrono Trigger | Star Wars: KotOR | Metal Gear Solid | Street Fighter Alpha 3 | Half Life/Counter-Strike | Double Dragon

#6 Fizzzzle

Fizzzzle

buttdick

• 16,660 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

I'm sort of the opposite. Green Day was one of the first bands I ever actively sought out and listened to. Then, as I got older and their music kind of started to suck (in my own humble opinion; music is a horribly subjective art) after Nimrod, I kind of stopped listening to their older stuff as well as their newer stuff. Then a few years ago, I kind of just lost all of the pretensions I harbored about music and started playing their first 3 major albums again, and I had forgotten how good they were.

To date, I think only NoFX has been able to do pop-punk as well as Green Day did in the mid-90's. And, to their credit, every NoFX album since White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean has been stellar (with the exception of War on Errorism, but hey, 7/8 ain't bad), while they've still been able to remain true to their original sound.

#7 GeneticBlueprint

GeneticBlueprint
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Green Day was awesome in the 90s. Everything they released was good. As for the 00s, I really liked American Idiot, but Warning is pretty mediocre and their newest one is a dud.

#8 doa3_master

doa3_master
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostFizzzzle, on 14 May 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

I'm sort of the opposite. Green Day was one of the first bands I ever actively sought out and listened to. Then, as I got older and their music kind of started to suck (in my own humble opinion; music is a horribly subjective art) after Nimrod, I kind of stopped listening to their older stuff as well as their newer stuff. Then a few years ago, I kind of just lost all of the pretensions I harbored about music and started playing their first 3 major albums again, and I had forgotten how good they were.

To date, I think only NoFX has been able to do pop-punk as well as Green Day did in the mid-90's. And, to their credit, every NoFX album since White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean has been stellar (with the exception of War on Errorism, but hey, 7/8 ain't bad), while they've still been able to remain true to their original sound.

Nofx is fantastic. But I really don't think they took over that Green Day role for me.

#9 hardass18

hardass18
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Canada

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Green Day's a pretty hit and miss these days.  Maybe a few good songs here or there.  There earlier stuff was pretty stellar all the way around.  Rarely a song on their albums that I didn't like or that I skipped over.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users