Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is Time Warner Cable "turbo" internet worth it?

55 posts in this topic

Posted

Turbo - DL up to 20 Mbps; UL up to 2 Mbps

Standard - up to 10 Mbps; up to 1 Mbps

I'm getting a new plan soon and the introductory price on Turbo is $40 a month versus $30 a month for standard. I plan to do quite a bit of video streaming but most services seem to say you need around 5 Mbps for HD video.

Posted

Downloading games on steam at 2.4MB/S is oh so sweet.

Posted

Turbo - DL up to 20 Mbps; UL up to 2 Mbps

Standard - up to 10 Mbps; up to 1 Mbps

I'm getting a new plan soon and the introductory price on Turbo is $40 a month versus $30 a month for standard. I plan to do quite a bit of video streaming but most services seem to say you need around 5 Mbps for HD video.

I have 20D 2U with my provider and 2Mbps is 'meh' at best for video streaming. I HIGHLY recommend doing the 5Mbps if you plan on video streaming.

Posted

You do have a point. I play most games on PC and do download 99 percent of them.

Anyone out there that's tried both speeds or different services? I looked at DSL but they all looked too slow to me and my area doesn't have shit like ATT U-Verse or Verizon FIOS.

Posted

I have 20D 2U with my provider and 2Mbps is 'meh' at best for video streaming. I HIGHLY recommend doing the 5Mbps if you plan on video streaming.

Well that's the thing; both plans are over 5Mbps for downstream.

Posted

Standard is more than good enough but turbo will give you a boner when you download stuff.

Posted

Well that's the thing; both plans are over 5Mbps for downstream.

You need 5Mbps UP, not down.

Posted

Oh, well the plan for 5mbps up is really expensive I think. Isn't called "extreme" or something?

Yea, your probably looking between $75-90 im guessing.

Posted

Actually extreme is priced at $50 a month for 30mbps dl/5mbps ul, granted that's introductory. You really think it's worth it? I will be saving about 70-90 bucks a month by not getting cable TV this time around.

Posted

Actually extreme is priced at $50 a month for 30mbps dl/5mbps ul, granted that's introductory. You really think it's worth it? I will be saving about 70-90 bucks a month by not getting cable TV this time around.

For me, that would be a steal. Mediacom (suckiest ISP ever!), yet monopolizes our region has their prices set to $115 a month or so.

Posted

I use standard speed and I'm getting an update on Steam at 1.1mbps, that's pretty standard. My gf can watch netflix while I'm playing online and I never see a speed drop while playing.

The server they tested me from is about 95 miles away.

6pm on a Friday in an apartment complex:

1945760944.png

Posted

Steam downloads at 4.5+ MB/s for me (40Mbps plan). It would be hard to go back to a slower speed.

Posted

Thats what I use, the 30/5 from TWC. After the year is up, just call them and ask about any current promotions to keep the bill down.

1945795800.png

Posted

Both sound too slow to me.

I get about 6.5 MB/sec through steam. I'd like faster but they don't offer anything faster.

Posted

Both sound too slow to me.

I get about 6.5 MB/sec through steam. I'd like faster but they don't offer anything faster.

I hate you :frustrated:

Posted

EQgVC.png

I like my peak download rate. :P

Posted

Since I'm not getting cable this time around; I might just try extreme since I get the introductory rate as a new customer, 30 down 5 up is a lot faster than what I have right now.

Posted

I have turbo. 2-2.5MB downloads from Steam is freakin sweet (regardless of streaming). I don't think i'd ever go back.

Posted

I am pretty happy with my 2MB/s sustained download speeds on Steam, wish I had faster though but I don't control what internet we use here.

Posted

thats the plan I have and am quite pleased with it but I do a lot of torrents.

Posted

I went with comcast. I've got 50mbps and HBO for $59/mo Its fantastic.

Posted

TW Turbo in Raleigh:

2780229757.png

Posted

BTW try to find out if you live on a busy node. If you do, your service can go to shit during busy periods. I remember one time back in NY Netflix just refused to lock an HD stream because my bandwidth was too low.

Posted

My dad had whatever the substandard internet was. Was getting like 2mb dl and like 700 kb upload. It was awful. So I had the lady upgrade it and it's quite nice now.