- - - - -

Is Apple holding out on 4G for a particular reason?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ohioguy24

ohioguy24

The Tuna Melt King

• 41,003 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

Or will their next Iphone 100% be 4g ready? What's going on? Another reason I stuck with Droid, this time.
If we could prove God, there would be zero reason to have faith.

#2 fynd

fynd
  • 1,820 posts
  • LocationSt. John's, NL
  • PSN ID:fynd

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

New iPhone is almost a 100% guarantee to be LTE. The current LTE chip being used by android phones is a major power hog and leads to battery life issues. The newer LTE chip that would be ideal for the iPhone will be out in mass quantities in time for the new model.

#3 ohioguy24

ohioguy24

The Tuna Melt King

• 41,003 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

either way, man, they are losing sales to Droid I'm sure.

#4 heyyoudvd

heyyoudvd
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

LTE currently sucks for battery life. There's a reason the iPhone gets much better battery life than virtually every Android phone on the market.

Another point is that the current LTE chipset is huge and simply won't fit inside a 3.5" phone. That's why so many Android devices keep expanding to these ridiculous sizes like 4.7 or 4.8 inches. They need the additional space for the LTE chip plus, they need space for a larger battery, given how much power LTE consumers. Apple wasn't willing to make those sacrifices so they decided to wait for the technology to be made more efficient before implementing it.

Qualcomm (the manufacturer of the LTE chips) will be releasing their next generation LTE chip soon and it will be smaller and more power efficient. Once they do, Apple will make the switch. Unless something goes terribly wrong with Qualcomm's upcoming chip, we're guaranteed to see LTE in the next iPhone.

#5 never_knows_best

never_knows_best

Not a Mod

• 13,172 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

Apple always withholds things like this to get you to buy the next model.
but now we dance this grim fandango
and will four years before we rest

#6 stepee

stepee

How to catch a ^

• 22,050 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

View Postnever_knows_best, on 11 May 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

Apple always withholds things like this to get you to buy the next model.

This post directly following a very detailed and insightful reasoning made me lol.
CASTLEVANIANUT18 HAS A (NOT SO!) SECRET CRUSH ON JASON. DETAILS IN THE LINK BELOW:

http://i.imgur.com/3solA.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 3DS is all a bunch of rehashed shit and the 3D hurts my eyes. The graphics are terrible. I can't think of one single fresh experience in their "big" holiday lineup. The vita has nothing worth playing but lesser ports and worse versions of console games. It's way too big to fit in your pocket. What's the point? The 360 is nothing but a shitty cheap PC. The PS3 sells like shit and has no games worth playing outside of 2-3 exclusives and all the third party games run like shit on it. The Wii is just a bunch of kiddie waggle controlled shovelware that only uninformed senior citizens buy. The PC has no exclusive games at all worth playing besides a bunch of free to play and facebook crap that nobody cares about and it gets pirated to hell. The iphone and android are worthless as gaming devices, they don't even count as one, touchscreen controls are useless. VIDEO GAMES FUCKING SUCK

#7 ohioguy24

ohioguy24

The Tuna Melt King

• 41,003 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

View Postheyyoudvd, on 11 May 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

LTE currently sucks for battery life. There's a reason the iPhone gets much better battery life than virtually every Android phone on the market.

Another point is that the current LTE chipset is huge and simply won't fit inside a 3.5" phone. That's why so many Android devices keep expanding to these ridiculous sizes like 4.7 or 4.8 inches. They need the additional space for the LTE chip plus, they need space for a larger battery, given how much power LTE consumers. Apple wasn't willing to make those sacrifices so they decided to wait for the technology to be made more efficient before implementing it.

Qualcomm's (the manufacturer of the LTE chips) will be releasing their next generation LTE chip soon and it will be smaller and more power efficient. Once they do, Apple will make the switch. Unless something goes terribly wrong with Qualcomm's upcoming chip, we're guaranteed to see LTE in the next iPhone.

very good info there.

#8 KellExile

KellExile

Your former Nigglesmckraken

• Administrator
  • 14,373 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

I agree with the reasons mentioned above. I'd assume we're getting close to Apple adopting LTE since the new iPad also has an LTE version. My initial reason for thinking Apple didn't include it was coverage. Initially when people were calling for Apple to adopt LTE it was only available in a handful of cities. I'd say it's only recently that it's more widely available and worth the extra cost (resource and financially) to upgrade to LTE chips.
MinnesotaFatz: I'd imagine a bj from a gay man would be rather glorious if I didn't know a man was slurping my schlong.
Fizzzzle: I don't know, for some reason I just always assumed that you're single and work 80 hour weeks and live in a relatively sparse apartment. D1P is how you channel creative energy that is repressed through your work.
Streamako: I will be on top of you by PS4.
Kyio: I cant figure this stupid shaft out

Posted Image

#9 TwinIon

TwinIon

Technologist Extraordinaire

• 8,405 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

It's all about battery life and noticeable performance.  LTE battery life is terrible and the performance boost is questionably valuable.  For many applications, 4G really isn't noticeably faster, but it has a very negative impact on battery life.  Apple has the influence to say no to carriers, a position that no Android maker is in.  When the carriers decided to push 4G, the android makers scrambled to get on it, as it would give them better positioning with the carriers and a marketing advantage over the iPhone.  

I expect the next iPhone to have LTE.

Personally though, I leave LTE off most of the time.
Techie/Gamer/Geek Extraordinaire
XBL:Collateral Damg | PSN:CollateralDmg | Steam: colateral_dmg | Origin: twinion
Letterboxd: TwinIon

#10 never_knows_best

never_knows_best

Not a Mod

• 13,172 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

View PostGiger, on 11 May 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

This post directly following a very detailed and insightful reasoning made me lol.

It's true, though. They've done this with their computers for a long time. The MBP I'm typing this on (note: frequent Apple customer here) infuriatingly doesn't pass audio through HDMI/MDP and the only real reason is because it was a nice selling point for the next year's model lol. I'm not saying there aren't also technical reasons for it, though.
but now we dance this grim fandango
and will four years before we rest

#11 BlueAngel

BlueAngel

Double Fistin' Jack

• 12,363 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Steam ID:special7

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

It's almost guaranteed the next iPhone will have 4G or LTE.
My Gaming Rig: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition @ 3.8GHz Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Dual Fans (push/pull) || 2.6GHz CPU-NB || ASUS M5A97 || Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 8-8-8-22 1t || ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II 1280MB

Breaded cod is breaded cod. Tastes no different from place to place. Differences from making at home would be subtle . -ohioguy24

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users