WYBWYT 5.9.2012: The Joffrey Slaptastic Edition

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SoberChef

SoberChef

The Jokester

• 8,253 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

I'm sure some, if not most, of you watch Game of Thrones and equally HATE Joffrey as much as I do! Go google "Tyrion Slaps Joffrey" and you will not be disappointed with the vast wealth of videos out there for your satisfaction!

Big week, more of the Indigo Tribe revealed, 3 different Court of Owls related titles, more Walking Dead, the 25th issue of Uncanny X-Force...just some really great stuff to enjoy this week! Let's hear everyone's thoughts about what they picked up this week! :D

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 FakeBonanza

FakeBonanza
  • 854 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

As much as I want Fatale #5, I might wait until next week to pick up my books.

I did pick up the first volume of Young Liars yesterday, though.
Posted Image
"You're dead, son. Get yourself buried."

#3 SilverShadow

SilverShadow

The Blood Dragon

• 28,660 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Luther Strode is very, very violent and has lots of bloody goodness. While the central theme is a bit cliche, it's presented very well. The artists are great at drawing the fight scenes, and I especially enjoyed the amount of detail the pencils bring out in the characters.
http://www.last.fm/user/Hydro-Thunder

PC: i5-3570K 8GB 660Ti 1TB
Laptop: i7-4700MQ 12GB 765m 750GB

#4 Firewithin

Firewithin

HAIL HYDRA!

• 15,020 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

Batman #9-  only one ive read so far this week (still have the other two NoO books) and wow these talons are god damn relentless.  was very cool hearing bruce say what his suit was capable of and how long hed be able to be in it in the extreme cases it was made for.  I must say that this event has been tying in very nice with one another imo (much better then AvX) with the DC 9 reference as well as a robin and nightwing panel.  interesting to see that there were a lot more "red" names then others.  and dat back up story :epilepsy:
Posted Image

PC: i7-3770k, GTX 970 SSC, 8GB 1600 ram, 1 TB cav black, z77

#5 SoberChef

SoberChef

The Jokester

• 8,253 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

Batman & Robin 9: WOW @ that Talon! My only curiosity I have though is after all that Damian has been through with Nobody and now this...I mean even though the Talons are technically dead already...it doesn't really help the dire situation that is the Damian dilemma!
Posted Image

#6 SoberChef

SoberChef

The Jokester

• 8,253 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

Batman 9: Yeah, dat backup story...more than warranted the extra $1 price tag .. I want more now please thank you!!
Posted Image

#7 Hurdyb1

Hurdyb1
  • 19,386 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

Batman #9 - I love when Bruce is in more intense zones and he got there in this issue. I love when Alfred wants to assist and Batman tries to take Alfred out of the equation with some security measure. Just demonstrates that love he has for Alfred to protect him. Loved how this issue also tied in the issues of this week and last week. The back up story was SWEET!

Batgirl #9 - This was actually the first issue I read out of my batch and made it a perfect read to go into Batman 9 with the certain events that happened while Bruce was in the cave. I loved how the stakes were raised in this issue with Babs, the Comish, and more. Babs fight was super intense and she knew she was going to have to cross a line which I truly enjoyed as she's not a killer and that thought was on her mind in this fight for survival.

Batman & Robin #9 - This was kind of weak to me. The cover made this issue look more intense than what it was. Damien goes solo after he just got the message from Alfred. To tell you the truth, I did not like that he had a rocket type system under his cape. Just screamed Burt Ward " HOLY PREPARATION BATMAN" to me. Did like seeing Damien own the soldiers and the last page was typical vicious Damien. May have been better if I had not just read the 2 books above first.

Wolverine #306 - This was a great issue for me as it had everything going on that I love from Wolverine. A search for answers, a startling revelation (if something can shock Wolverine, you know it's messed up), action, the fight to keep the beast in check, and heart. I love that the issue felt fully complete especially with the school and his ex-girlfriend involved. Maybe it's just me but I felt this is the best issue Wolverine I have read in quite some years. Definitely looking forward to the next issue.
Chitownshogun73 = Gamertag & PSNID

#8 Firewithin

Firewithin

HAIL HYDRA!

• 15,020 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

I went Batman -> B&R -> Batgirl

Batman & Robin #9- first time picking this one up and i liked it.  didnt realize damien was as young as he was going into it which made him owning the soldiers that much better to me.  the way he handled the talon was pretty awesome.  that poor couple trying to camp showed just how damn brutal the talons are :o

Batgirl #9-  first timer for this one as well.  with the exceptions for that last few pages this was very dialogue heavy (which is ok with me).  i really dug the art on this too.  and yah that fight with the female talon was good.
Posted Image

#9 Hurdyb1

Hurdyb1
  • 19,386 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

Yeah..... that couples death was wicked.

#10 phazedplasma

phazedplasma
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Fury Max:  Yep just as amazing as I had hoped.

Anyone read Uncanny X Force?  That deadpool back up!! hahahahaha wow.

#11 Firewithin

Firewithin

HAIL HYDRA!

• 15,020 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

X-Force is next up for me later today
Posted Image

#12 hardass18

hardass18
  • 3,165 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Canada

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

X-men Legacy #266 - AvX tie in issue.  Basically you have the majority of the staff at the school trying to stay out of the conflict and keep the students calm and safe and then some Avengers show up, consisting of She-Hulk, Falcon and Moon Knight, acting a little snooty.  Coming to make sure no more of the staff join the fray, but tensions rise and you can probably guess what happens.  Based on the cover, which has She-Hulk and Rogue going at it, I expected a little more with this issue.  It was good but the fighting didn't get going for a while and then the issue was over with a to be continued.  The back and forth convo between Frenzy and Moon Knight was pretty good.  Decent issue, not great. 7/10

Wolverine and the X-men #10 - AvX tie in issue.  I really liked this issue.  With the bru ha ha on Utopia, Cyclops and the X-men escape and decide to drop in on Wolverine at the school.  We almost have another Schism fight on our hands, but instead sharp conversation takes place.
Spoiler
  Good art by Bachalo if you like his style and a really good read. 8.5/10

New Avengers #26 - AvX tie in issue.  This issue is basically a look to the past and is an Iron Fist centric type of story.  Some revelations with the Phoenix force and the magical city of K'un Lun.  Good solid issue with Deodato artwork which I liked as usual.  Involvement of a character that I didn't expect but kind of makes sense.  8/10

Uncanny X-force #25 - Extra big issue with a couple of backup stories by Remender and Opena, both of which were pretty damn good.  Main story was awesome and starts off another brutal Remender "putting X-force through the ringer" type of story arc.  Final Execution this one's called.  Mike McKone does the art duties this issue and fits right in as he's done in the past.  Shake up with the team, Betsy going through a pretty rough transition after the last arc in Otherworld and Weapon 13 taking off. (Temporarily?)  We find out who the next antagonists are and their background but there's more to it that that.  Great stuff as ususal with this book.  Love it. 9/10
Posted Image

#13 SoberChef

SoberChef

The Jokester

• 8,253 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

Deadpool 54: Well that's the end of the "Dead" storyline and going forward, I think it'll be interesting to see how Wade deals with well life on life's terms now that he isn't "immortal-ish". Didn't read X-Force 25 yet so don't spoil it for me IF in fact that has anything to do with the events in the Dead storyline that's been going on in Deadpool the last few months.

Also, going back to Hardass' comment about over prep for Damian, I think that Alfred had sent that jet pack thingy for him since he knew right where Damian was. Have to reread to confirm.
Posted Image

#14 hardass18

hardass18
  • 3,165 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Canada

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Well, I knew nothing of that story line, but his new found mortality I guess did get a mention.
Posted Image

#15 Hurdyb1

Hurdyb1
  • 19,386 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:16 AM

Green Lantern #9 - Continuing the Indigo Tribe story. As usual, Johns is hitting on all cylinders. They even go back, waaaaay back to tell the origin of the Indigo ring. Usually I'm not a fan of writers going back to things they did not establish but it was very good and when you realize who the Indigo people are THEN what happens at the end, I just want issue 10. Hal seems to have gained some better usage of his powers since last issue.

#16 phazedplasma

phazedplasma
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

Can't wait to get my Damian fix with batman Inc in a few weeks :D

#17 Firewithin

Firewithin

HAIL HYDRA!

• 15,020 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

Mind the Gap #1-  wow there was a lot to take in on this one.  first of all this is a mystery with many things going one here and a interesting aspect that is intriguing especially when you get to that last page.  a lot of characters are introduced since this is a new #1 so i may read this a couple more times to pick up on some stuff.  the last couple pages pointed out some interesting things to sort of help the reader tie what they read together a little better which warrants the re-read.  some funny music references and damn was the art great.  i think ill be checking out #2 for sure
Posted Image

#18 SoberChef

SoberChef

The Jokester

• 8,253 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

Green Lantern #9: HOLY WOW @ the revelations!! Good lord, the fact that this is all basically a prophecy foretold that may, or possibly now, may not have a true resolution! Issue 10 can't get here fast enough!
Posted Image

#19 Hurdyb1

Hurdyb1
  • 19,386 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostSoberChef, on 12 May 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

Green Lantern #9: HOLY WOW @ the revelations!! Good lord, the fact that this is all basically a prophecy foretold that may, or possibly now, may not have a true resolution! Issue 10 can't get here fast enough!

The ending was hilarious to me as there was a "aww screw it" moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users