Xbox One S/X as 4K Blu-ray player?

dualhunter

I'm considering one but the games don't really interest me (any that do, I have or will get on PC). Is there any difference between the S and X for 4K Blu-ray playback? Are there any good upcoming games that will benefit from the X that won't be on PC and are not FPS or Sports (including Racing) games? Are there any difference between the included controllers (i.e. no Bluetooth with S but yes with X)? Since my Xbox 360 PC wireless receiver died I've been using a DS4 wired and while the trackpad is great for launching games after switching from monitor (where the keyboard and mouse are) to TV it would be nice to have something with face buttons that matched the onscreen prompts. Is there an official media remote or just 3rd Party?

52 minutes ago, dualhunter said:

I'm considering one but the games don't really interest me (any that do, I have or will get on PC). Is there any difference between the S and X for 4K Blu-ray playback? Are there any good upcoming games that will benefit from the X that won't be on PC and are not FPS or Sports (including Racing) games? Are there any difference between the included controllers (i.e. no Bluetooth with S but yes with X)? Since my Xbox 360 PC wireless receiver died I've been using a DS4 wired and while the trackpad is great for launching games after switching from monitor (where the keyboard and mouse are) to TV it would be nice to have something with face buttons that matched the onscreen prompts. Is there an official media remote or just 3rd Party?

I believe the X and S are identical in terms of Blu_Ray playback.

Xbox games tend to have more consistent HDR support than PC games -- so if you're gaming on a HDR TV, that may matter to you.

Controllers are the same.

There is an official Xbox One Media Remote (and is called exactly that).  I don't have one -- I just use my Harmony remote to control it.

The S was known as a relatively cheap blu ray player for awhile. I don’t think that holds true anymore. 

I still use my S as a blu ray player and it’s more hassle than it’s worth. Every other time I log in I have to update my Xbox, if I’m offline the system asks me a million questions about why I’m offline and if I’d like to connect. It’s never just put a movie in and watch. I suppose if I watched movies more regularly that wouldn’t be a problem. 

If you aren’t going to game on it then I definitely would go with just a regular player.

I was looking into the XboneX for UHD player but after reading all the reviews that say its not up to par I held off.  But that is for using it with physical disks.  For that reason I held off buying one since the exclusive games for the Xbone just aren't enough for me to buy another system.

I use my S for bluray & 4K bluray playback (still using discs because where I live 10mbps down is the fastest I can get). I think it plays blurays extremely well. 

For 4K, it's pretty good I think, but maybe not as good as a standalone player. That might just be me putting too high of expectations on the differences between bluray & 4K though, I thought 4K would blow me away but the upgrade isn't super noticeable on my KS8000 (the HDR is wonderful, though). 

For reference the Sony UBP-X800 is $300 Canadian, there are some for $200 but it looks like a lot of cheaper ones are just 4K upscaling. The 500GB S is out of stock but it's $230 Canadian whereas the 1TB is in stock but is $330 (includes a bundled game). I'm not really in a hurry so I could wait for Black Friday and Boxing Day and if I wait long enough till getting a new CPU I'll probably just get a 4K drive and a newer version of PowerDVD. For the Xbox, I would use the controller on PC (adapter is another $30 Canadian). Had Sony put a 4K drive in the Pro I'd have an easier time just getting a PS4 (already have 1 DS4 which I use wired on PC). I have Rare Replay which I played on my father's OG Xbox One and I'd probably give Lost Odyssey a try. If I did decide to get Kingdom Hearts 3 I could get it on Xbox since it is unlikely to come to PC (though possible given that DQ XI is). At this point I'm just considering options.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Is there a noticeable difference between HDR and DV’s HDR?

supposedly DV is better, but from what ive seen, it just looks different to me. im not really sure if i can say one looks better than the other. maybe someone with a better trained eye. 

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

supposedly DV is better, but from what ive seen, it just looks different to me. im not really sure if i can say one looks better than the other. maybe someone with a better trained eye. 

So, basically, most people probably won’t even notice? :p 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Is there a noticeable difference between HDR and DV’s HDR?

Dolby Vision is better in every way. But not by much. But you will also need a TV that supports DV. Samsung's don't support it and probably never will since they are working on HDR10+. I suspect once HDR10+ is ready Xbox will get support since HDR10+ will still be opeb source.

5 minutes ago, The def star said:

Dolby Vision is better in every way. But not by much. But you will also need a TV that supports DV. Samsung's don't support it and probably never will since they are working on HDR10+. I suspect once HDR10+ is ready Xbox will get support since HDR10+ will still be opeb source.

Hmmm

I was considering getting a QLED since they added freesync support but now I’m not sure: I wasn’t aware that it only supported HDR and not both HDR and Dolby Vision. :/ 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Hmmm

I was considering getting a QLED since they added freesync support but now I’m not sure: I wasn’t aware that it only supported HDR and not both HDR and Dolby Vision. :/ 

From what I understand (unless things changed for the new 2018/19 models) that QLED has terrible input lag as well. 

Seems either OLED or Sony X900/930/940F series are the way to go. And TCL 6 series for people on a budget. 

31 minutes ago, atom631 said:

From what I understand (unless things changed for the new 2018/19 models) that QLED has terrible input lag as well. 

Seems either OLED or Sony X900/930/940F series are the way to go. And TCL 6 series for people on a budget. 

Input lag on the QLEDS seems to all be under 20ms which is pretty good. The reason I didn't go with QLED is price. My Sony 900F is a better bang for the buck than the QLEDs especially at 75" but QLEDs are definitely better quality picture on the Q8FN and Q9FN.

While the big bugs with UHD playback on the Xbox have been solved, I have heard that it still has issues.  Microsoft has never really been strong at video playback in general though.  You'd be much better off purchasing a Panasonic UHD player. 

3 hours ago, The def star said:

Input lag on the QLEDS seems to all be under 20ms which is pretty good. The reason I didn't go with QLED is price. My Sony 900F is a better bang for the buck than the QLEDs especially at 75" but QLEDs are definitely better quality picture on the Q8FN and Q9FN.

Yea, I was planning on the Q9F, 65”.

5 minutes ago, The def star said:

The Q9F (2017) isn't the same as the Q9FN (2018). The way I see it Q9F<X900F<Q9FN. Go for the 2018 model over last years if you are going QLED.

Yes, I was going to go with the newest model, however, since there is no Dolby Vision on it I’ll likely have to wait for LG OLEDs with Freesync/VFR instead. :/ 

Both the S and X are decent blu-ray players.  Now that Microsoft has worked out most of the serious issues they had with 4k UHD HDR playback, they work well and likely won't be outperformed by a cheap standalone player.  If you want to do better, you'll have to jump up to a premium machine.  That was not the case, a few months ago, but credit where it is due for getting their crap sorted.  (For what it's worth, I've still seen some reports of people complaining about occasional stuttering and pixelation.)

The biggest problems the S and X previously had were 1) raised black levels, making blacks look grey; and 2) incorrect colours due to converting the YCbCr signal to RGB before outputting to the TV (even if you selected in the options to output YCbCr, the Xbox would first convert to RGB and then convert back to YCbCr).  Both of those problems have now been patched out.

The lack of Dolby Vision is definitely a drawback, though it is minor relative to the problems above.  HDR10 is certainly a big dramatic leap forward from no HDR.  Dolby Vision is then a small hop further.  Is it better?  Yes.  Is it dramatically better?  No.  The biggest difference Dolby Vision provides won't become dramatically apparent until we start getting TV's that display 12-bit colour and are capable of over 4,000nits of peak brightness.  

If I were buying a player today to replace my Panasonic UB900, I would go with a high-end player that supports Dolby Vision, like the sadly discontinued Oppo-203.

On 6/21/2018 at 9:24 AM, dualhunter said:

On 6/21/2018 at 10:20 AM, mikechorney said:

I believe the X and S are identical in terms of Blu_Ray playback.

Xbox games tend to have more consistent HDR support than PC games -- so if you're gaming on a HDR TV, that may matter to you.

Controllers are the same.

There is an official Xbox One Media Remote (and is called exactly that).  I don't have one -- I just use my Harmony remote to control it.

There is an official media remote as Mike says, but it is just that...really just bouncing between screens, and home, and starting and stopping your video.  I have it and it is good for what it does.

As far as an actually controller with numbers on it there is a third party option wherein you can control your tv functions if you have them running through your xbox.

However, please note I don't believe you can controller a DVR with it and through your xbox.