Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

GameStop Dumpster Diving... WAT?!

30 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I guess I could have posted this in GI, but where this is more gaming related, I thought this was a more appropriate place. This is a video I did myself. Check it out.

Posted · Report post

I used to dumpster dive at Funcoland back in the day. I remember scoring a shitload of Dreamcasts and just by swapping parts around I got many of them to work. I also scored a shitload of Saturn games and many of them worked fine while some just needed a little resurfacing.

Posted · Report post

Nice. I was really awe-struck by what I seen on YouTube... But even more so when I did it myself and found the item that I found. I do plan to do it again sometime and possibly turn this into a sub-series TheSMNetwork.

Posted · Report post

everyone does this. friend of mine threw out perfectly good copies of assassins creed: brotherhood at target too. course their dumpster is alot nastier than gamestops so i wouldnt suggest going in it.

Posted · Report post

I saw a documentary on people eating pretty healthy by dumpster diving at Trader's Joe. Not surprised that game retailers toss out good shit as well.

Posted · Report post

I saw a documentary on people eating pretty healthy by dumpster diving at Trader's Joe. Not surprised that game retailers toss out good shit as well.

Neither am I... to an extent. It just confuses me that they would just toss money like this, but then again, it's GameStop. Also, the other thing that bothers me is the fact that they would just toss this kind of stuff in with everyday trash. There are certain protocols and law guidelines to follow when trashing this stuff.

Posted · Report post

I don't know anything about protocols, but you're right, they're tossing out money. They should send all these games and their cases to some GameStop warehouse where they can clean up the cases, discs, w/e and repackage them as used games. They sell some abominably ugly used games, what they're probably tossing out has to be in better condition than that.

Posted · Report post

I agree. That is what I was talking about when I was showing of those original Xbox games, Fuzion Frenzy and Corvette. They are in mint condition, and they just tossed them. For me, it pulls at my brain, dude.

Posted · Report post

When I worked at GameStop those were called field destroys. A lot of times they were new items that the manufacture didn't want back. Probably because it is just cheaper to throw them away than ship. Some items were used. The employees are actually supposed to physically destroy them but it looks like a lot of GameStop employees are going the easy route and just chucking them into the garbage.

While I was there I destroyed a ton of good stuff. I remember taking scissors to hundreds of game CDs and DVDs and thinking to myself what a waste.

My buddy who was braver than I to go against corporate policy on field destroys scored a lot of awesome shit the manufacturers did not want back while working at a major office retailer. He got thumb drives, printers, digital cameras, etc. If the customer says a certain item is defective, some manufacturers will tell the retailer to destroy it and throw it out instead of shipping it back. But we all know a lot of people say, "defective" just to get their money back because they changed their mind.

Posted · Report post

Dude at GS where I used to live was taking a bunch of guides to the trash, I stopped him and I got a guide for Oblivion, Fallout 3, Orange Box, collectors edition w/ art book for Mass Effect, and legendary edition Halo Reach book. I donated most of it to the local mom and pop store so they can make a buck off it.

Posted · Report post

Inventory is expensive to hold and shipping them cost even more. Most retail stores do this. They just chuck them out back when they need more shelf space.

Posted · Report post

Dude at GS where I used to live was taking a bunch of guides to the trash, I stopped him and I got a guide for Oblivion, Fallout 3, Orange Box, collectors edition w/ art book for Mass Effect, and legendary edition Halo Reach book. I donated most of it to the local mom and pop store so they can make a buck off it.

I forgot about that. I got 100s of game guides for free while I worked there because they were just going to get thrown out.

Posted · Report post

I've got the 2 GS's on standby letting me know if they are going to get rid of any guides (they price them down to $.01 and chuck them), and if they have something i'm interested in i'll take it off of their hands. Its only rarely that i'm able to get a good one, but it comes in handy if i dont want to buy the guide.

Posted · Report post

Yup, I'm very thankful for this process. I won't dumpster dive, but I've scored plenty of penny guides in my day.

Posted · Report post

Instead of tossing why not offer these products as free if you purchase any other product or some other type of similar deal?

Posted · Report post

Instead of tossing why not offer these products as free if you purchase any other product or some other type of similar deal?

If Gamestop was a smarter company, they would do that. But they're not.

Posted · Report post

Well, it would likely encourage people not to purchase a game or a guide until they could get the guide for a penny, so i can see why they dont offer it as a rule, but when people find out about it, the more customer service oriented employees tend to give them away to people that ask.

Posted · Report post

If any of you find a copy of Betrayal at Krondor in a dumpster sometime... will buy.

Posted · Report post

Anybody ever tell you that you look like Wes Borland?

Posted · Report post

Well, it would likely encourage people not to purchase a game or a guide until they could get the guide for a penny, so i can see why they dont offer it as a rule, but when people find out about it, the more customer service oriented employees tend to give them away to people that ask.

I don't think people will be willing to wait 3 years for an Assassin's Creed guide just to get it for a penny or for free. With infinite free guides on the net, people have to have a very specific desire to buy guides these days. They either want it (and will buy it) or they don't (and won't care if its free).

Posted · Report post

You have to have some balls to rummage through a retailer's trash for lost gems. I may not be able to afford new games very often, but I don't think I'd stoop to doing that. Plus what happens if you get caught? Doesn't seem worth it at all.

Posted · Report post

Anybody ever tell you that you look like Wes Borland?

Nope. Never heard that one before, lol.

Posted · Report post

You have to have some balls to rummage through a retailer's trash for lost gems. I may not be able to afford new games very often, but I don't think I'd stoop to doing that. Plus what happens if you get caught? Doesn't seem worth it at all.

It's not really a matter of me "stooping that low" because I'm poor. I look at it in a couple ways.

1. I'm helping the enviornment.

2. If I find a game, game cases, etc. I find useful and it works, great.

And when it comes to getting caught, I did my research, it's legal to dumpster dive in my city. As long as I am not taking things to commit illegal activities like identity theft, I'm in the clear.